I have elves in my setting BUT THEY ARE NOT THE USUAL ELVES, THEY-

>I have elves in my setting BUT THEY ARE NOT THE USUAL ELVES, THEY-

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astomi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ARE RECONQUISTA SPAIN

With drow elves playing the part of Moors.

I'm coming to learn you either go almost full Tolkien or pseudo-historical for settings.

>my elves look like tolkien's but act like proto-celts

You may have figured it out.

ARE SHELVES!
Tiny Swedes from the land of Ikea.

Are you going to make this thread every day until we like it?

LIFT AND FIGHT VAMPIRES TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BATHE IN THE SUN

Are created from the magical phenomenal where the stars fell from the sky

Dorfs appeared when the continent sized volcano erupted

Giants formed the mountains that dot the world

Humans were created from the sand

It's a work in progress

are cannibal hermaphrodites without emotion or sense of personal space.

In my experience
>generic elves
ok
>elves that are based on more than one thing plus some original stuff
best
>generic elves with one thing changed
boring and one note

I'm personally a fan of either:

>generic elves
or
>elves but they only live in (insert extreme climate)

My elves are people with a hollow barbed extending proboscis like a chameleon tongue for drinking blood who want all life to be preserved because otherwise they wouldn't have things to drink blood from. They live in a magic radiated acid trip forest where the usually run naked and climb trees but wear clothes of silk woven from the cocoons of giant moths (like 1.5 foot wingspan not like Mothra levels) and dyed with fruit peels and floral extracts.

In many civilized cities they end up as combination prostitutes/drug kingpins/holy spiritual leaders because the chemical in their barbed tongues causes a euphoric painkilling and highly hallucinogenic effect. This is actually a feeding adaptation, creatures enjoy being fed on and have no desire to escape it.

I like the idea behind it. Possibly going to steal it for myself as I'm going through the process of world building.

My elves are generic elves that started getting a little too religiously zealous and then dwarves and humans told them to chill but they didn't, so queue the great humans and dwarves vs elves holy war that ended up with elves chilling in NotAntarctica for the last 15 years

Are your elves taller than humans or shorter?
You goin Keebler?

...are way, way worse!

Ha, you thought the usual knife-ears were arrogant? Wait til you see these guys!

I mean, come on, if a human so much as looks at them, they'll torture their whole family to death in front of them for daring to look upon their perfect face!

If, by some incredible fluke, a human has managed to earn the elf's permission to exist in their presence, they'd better get used to bowing, kowtowing, and kissing elf ass!

If they don't...well, I hope they weren't too invested in their home country!

You thought the Tolkien-style elves were boring?

These elves can literally bore you to fucking death! No, really - they're so used to immortality they don't really give a shit about your pitiful mortal life-span, and can actually talk for days on end!

Have you ever seen someone starve to death in the middle of a conversation? Well, if you visit these guys (and they allow you to live), then you probably will!

Did you think they were shameless before?

Remember that guy who had his family tortured to death? In a heartbeat, that guy would be thrown onto the front-lines with nothing but a soup spoon to amuse the orcs sufficiently that they'll pause their advance for a second!

That applies to literally anything that isn't an elf! The only ethical questions they ever need to ask are "will this help an elf?" and "will this help me?"

Yeah, you thought normal elves were dicks.

Huh, that actually sounds kind of fun.

Go ahead. Only real thing I have worked out is that dwarves view Giant themselves as holy relics/prophets/deity/ insert theological term here

They follow them around, care for them, worship them, aid them when and or if they become marauders and declare holy wars against anyone who kills a Giant before they can become old enough to turn into a mountain.

There is no real dwarven capital but their holy city is in the mountains where the very first, oldest, and the largest giant in the world died. His visage remains in the mountains and dwarves travel there to pay worship and thank the mountain father.

I may end up scrapping this as well Idunno

Pic related is now about four and a half years old. That should serve as an indicator of how long we as a community have been having this exact thread.

My elves aren't a playable race and they don't come out of their forests and their warriors train for decades and are all super awesome.

For varying degrees of fun. I'd imagine the elves have barrels of the stuff.

Is this a new Veeky Forums meme?

I should've just skimmed first.

Nice. A relationship like that between races is interesting. Since I haven't really given dwarves much thought yet, I may go for something like that. I've been going through a cycle of building then scrapping. I've gone through a few systems and eventually just decided to make my own.

No, it's a very old Veeky Forums meme

Come in several flavors.
>True Elves
The High Elf equivalent. The live in a city on the moon accessed by a rainbow bridge that appears in a certain northern country once a year. They possibly live forever but go through a period of extreme recklessness after every thousand years of life, so most die at that time and none are older than 3000. They come down from their city to take part in the royal hunt, currently led by King Berchtold who has ruled for 550 years and has been hunting for the past 200. This hunt will take any game that fails in its path and is deemed worth it, including monsters, animals wild or domestic, even whole nations have fallen before the hunt. The true elves are imposing, standing around eight feet tall and riding clockwork horses made of gold and porcelain. Their main weapons are large howdah pistols that fire enchanted silver rounds.
>Traveler Elves
Normal elves. The descendants of ancient colonies of true elves that have become mortal. Live 300-500 years on average and are slightly taller than standard humans. Some have nations of their own, some integrate with other races. Many are wanderers. More influenced by nationality than their race, so that's all I'll say about them. Note that true elves don't feel any sort of kinship with them, they are seen as insignificant and not worth consideration just like the other lesser beings.
>Swamp Elves.
Main dark elf equivalent. Formerly traveler elves that settled in hostile swamps. Every Deliverance and Wrong Turn redneck stereotype rolled together. A handful of their villages do some regular trade with outsiders, but for the most part they're best to be avoided. Live 200-300 years because of health issues, although some elders can be up to 600.

sooo...eldar?

ARE CONNECTED TO NATURE

No not the hippie shit. What i mean is they come from a parallel plane that is literally tied to nature, and they themselves change depending on the season and climate. In the spring the elves have light green skin, hair the color of various blossoms, and fuck like rabbits. They are not mortal creatures, they do not gestate biologically. They combine essences, newborns are formed with a selection of their parents experiences and memories and a whole lot of built in instinct. They form and mature quickly, a spring child can be fully grown by summer, and because they are born with experiences garnered from their parents they already know all the skills they need. They have an absolutely stupid population explosion in the spring. In summer their skin turns a chestnut brown and their hair bleaches blond. They are driven to explore and make friends. Come fall they begin to pale and their hair reflects the changing of the leaves. It is the time of preparation, they will begin to bargain and scramble for any advantage they can get before the coming winter. When winter comes their skin and hair both turn white as the driven snows, and they become vicious, for winter is a time of bloody fights for survival.

Why is this you ask? You see, the Elves cannot exist to long in the mortal plane. They must return to their plane, which too changes with the seasons. During spring it is verdant and food is abundant. In the summer warm and hospitable, but in the fall it begins to grow colder and darker, and the fields begin to die as they pull in a last desperate harvest and prepare. When winter comes the land is desolate, a frozen wasteland under a sunless sky. The elves must live on that which is saved, and inevitably it is not enough for their population, so they turn on one another and kill each other in a desperate struggle for survival from which few will emerge alive.

to be continued.

My elves are like Jason Statham in Hummingbird, a bunch of hobos but are age old warriors who have suffer from ptsd and only come to arms when the hobo esque lifestyle is threatened or one of them is killed/harmed and just like statham in that movie once they are finished they simply slump back into the shadows to grovel and age slowly.

Of course in this season of savagery, built into every elf on a fundamental level, some look to our world for sustenance rather than to their own kin's larders.

Those who do survive to see the changing of the seasons change with it. Elves are rational creatures but they are not as you and i. We might see this never ending loop and try to prevent it through birth control or more careful planning, but to elves the thought is foreign. They live as they always have, following their instincts and their natural cycle.

Of course some people do not understand that the elves change with the season, after all most people are not very close with elves. They imagine there are different kinds of elves. This is further compounded by regions of the globe that know only certain climes, lands of never ending green that know only the sensual beings that they call dryads and green men. Lands of ice and snow that know only the predatory wights that come when the nights are long to carry off livestock and villagers into the night.

You've got a pretty cool take on dwarves. Are the giants sentient or communicative before they become mountains? I like the idea that the giants just go about their business completely unaware that the dwarves exist, while the dwarves follow them around worshipping them and waiting for them to settle down and become mountains so they can build cities in their heads.

Discworld elves.

We already have other two or three thread like this around and yesterday there were at least other two. What the fuck.

I made my elves be in a culture of ridiculously hard-working individuals

They all have the usual elf stats, but instead of living in a culture where they live a life of patience and virtue, they instead live a life of pure work ethic

essentially they're still think of themselves as better than humans, but instead of just saying it and acting all high and mighty, they go ahead and try to prove by literally outworking, and outskilling every normal human they find, it's hardwired into their brain even

death is just a common thing with elves as it is with humans, the main cause being overexertion and doing horribly dangerous shit in the name of work ethic

So, they are the Japanese?

Some of the elves awaken as magical avatars of communism or capitalism and have two different and competing schools of thought develop among some of the elves, who believe that hard work for its own sake is a waste. Some of these believe that the elves developed their instinctive work ethic because they're meant to band together and work hard for the greater good of the common elf with little regard for themselves or the world outside. Some of these believe that the elves developed their instinctive work ethic because they're meant to collectively amass elven power (through constructions, weaponry, or just money) and cement their race's position at the top of the pyramid.

While 90% of the elves only live to work hard for the sake of working hard, the remaining 10% is split between these two camps and the players are drawn into their conflict and have to choose to either support one or the other, or let them both burn and return the elves to the status quo before the race is fundamentally changed.

Don't forget to stat oath of communism paladins and capitalist wizards for the players to fight

>Communist elves

>"Vld'mir, you old enough to work the mines now, take pickaxe, and make mother nature proud"
>"But brother Niko, I don't want to work on the mines"
>"You no work in mines?! Are you getting fed more propaganda by those human pigs?"
>"No, No brother, you misunderstand, I don't want to work in the mines, I want to join mercenary group, they say pigs need magician, will show them true elven magic"
>"Hmm...very well, but you come here and work the mines once you're done"
>"Thank you brother, glory to mother nature"
>"Glory to mother nature"

Then the rest of the campaign is the elf getting slowly corrupted by the dangers of capitalism, thanks rouge

>Lets shit on content creators the thread

are short, stout, bearded reptilians with boar-like heads, hairy feet and red caps on their heads. They have black skin and silver hair. Their steal everything that isn't nailed down.

I feel like there are three other threads like this up right now.

are Islanders.

Also, there are blood elves with red skin that live in the deserts and stuff.

I feel like I recognize that guy from something, but I can't remember where...

My Elves are basically humans who got magicfucked with Trees when the world ended.

Also two factions: the elven supremacist fascists, and the Vive La Revolucion faction who are basically just the same but equally dickish to everyone including themselves.

But damn they have the ability to create the purest skycryst in the whole of the world and there's adventure to be had.

are the result of a magical version of Cordyceps infecting a non sapient species of Hominid, the combination of the two results in something sapient unlike it's components, culturally not all that different from the standard Elves, just a lot less dickish, instead the aloofness and strangeness comes more from them having different priorities than many other sapient species have due to their physiologies

on a similar note Trolls are derived from a related species of Hominid to the ones Elves come from(albeit different environmental niches, think the difference between a Giant Panda and a Polar Bear in terms of diet when it comes to Elves and Trolls), but they gain their sapience from a kind of magical contagious cancer instead

setting is a really Gonzo Fantasy sort of place, and most of the races have some sort of twist to them

I've yet to see full tolkien elves.
The closest is the fucking villains in witcher 3.

Are actually the only three races in the setting. Except for the Ashborn, but they don't count because they're born fully-formed from volcanic debris and not a true race.

The Nalg'a have skin the color of blue ice or the sky on a clear day. They ride the plains in bands, hunting and taming beasts as they rove. They are often compared to wolves due to their strong jaws and pack-like mentality.

The Huavomealainen live along the coasts and the larger rivers. Their skin is the color of the sunset's last vestiges or the burning embers. They fish and trade, and even know how to plant and harvest. But they have little experience in warfare, preferring to have contests of skill or intimidation.

The Orm are the forsaken and have molted skin of pale peach with mud colored patches. They are nocturnal and very close to feral. They often live in harsh climes, and feed off of beasts that live there. Deserts, crags, and badlands are their homes.

What the fuck was this movie. It was about a boy who is sick in a hospital or something and they tell this story about a bunch of awesome adventure motherfuckers.

They were once guardians and tenders of the God's orchards unit they ate from the Fruits of Immortality and were cast out and scattered across the spheres for their transgressions. Its no wonder they so ardently practice arcane magic, the powers of godly imitators.

My elves are a bunch of assholes. Nothing too special, they just are unable to reason with because of "muh centuries-long experience". I also take great care to play elves like that, and get my GMs and co-players to hate them more and more.

Also, Original leprechaunesque elves > Tolkienesque elves > Elves WITH A TWEEST that's generally some kind of reference to a nation of the past > Shadow the elfhog, original characters united > humans with pointy ears

Oh look, you made this thread again

And again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

What can men do against such reckless faggotry?

Yeah thats where I'm stuck at regarding them I don't know if I want to

A) Have them be literal giant forces of nature
B) Have them be just giant assholes
C) Be fae like in appearance and mannerisms. Oh a dwawren came up to you saying he found gold over yonder? Oh shit a gaint is now eating your party?
D) After the mountain father was settled eventually decide that having nomadic little fuckos traveling around and helping them out ain't such a bad idea
E) Have no idea whats going on but they like the sound of this party

I was also thinking that the Giant's personalities and their dwawren would have to vary otherwise people would probably just band together and exterminate them both if a good chunk of them was raiders

I want the word "elf/elves" in my setting to be synoninous with "demigod". No player would be allowed to play as an elf, since they would be incredibly powerful.

My idea would be that the party can be anything they want, from knights to pirates, but not elves. Because elves are children of Gods, who are constantly traveling in not!Australia and battling among themselves to gain three magical rocks, which they need in order to ascend to heaven.

Elves would be an unstoppable force in the game, or immovable objects, to the party.

You can only hope to defeat one with an army, and even then it's not sure to slay one.

They also look like boys that are on the verge of puberty. Because they "grow up" when they eventually become gods themselves.

He must have gotten REALLY pissed by his current group or something.

>not this thread again.jpg

- are mesopotamian flavored and feed on smell.

>Feed on smell
Not sure if magical realm...

Fair enough, the sybaritic clans would probably do something with that.
But most of them prefer perfume.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astomi

We're masters of Biomancy and created Gnomes as a servant race. When they mysteriously went extinct along with most of the tall folk, the Gnomes still dwelled in their forest palaces and eventually began worshipping them as gods. Most ghosts are elves and advanced undead creatures such as wights and liches are Elven spirits inhabiting the bodies of the dead.

>ITT: I bitch about unoriginal elves part5
FTFY

Stop making the same thread each time faggot

>Complain about a borrowed concept being unoriginal

You may as well complain the horses in all your settings have four legs. If you are going to use an existing concept just use the fucking existing concept. If you want something new than create something your goddamn self instead, only it won't work because nobody will have any fucking clue what you are talking about until they can relate it to something the understand SO THEY'RE STILL GOING TO THINK OF THEM AS FUCKING ELVES.

>have Elves in setting
>they end up being utterly unlike Elves in other settings except in appearance
>question why they even need to be called Elves
>change their name and appearance and remove references to Elves from the setting
>did a similar thing with Dwarves
>they're now a Neanderthal-like group of humans and consider themselves human
>homo sapiens call them dwarves because they're shorter, though they consider it insulting

>... are a Morlock-esqe andvanced underground race that steal women and men from the surface to eat/breed with

>I have elves in my setting and they are pretty typical, yeah. Moving on to the more interesting things...

Top tier:
Tolkien demigod elves
Arrogant nazi elves

Mid tier:
Everything else

Shit tier:
Treehugger elves

... Witcher elves then?

Elves in my setting are very lewd.

Shit setting.

Thanks user, but we recently have such annoying over-saturation of arrogant nazi elves, they are shit tier deluxe now.

Do we have to have this thread every day?

That's a rare kot blini you got there.

It will never end, user.

...are just the name given to severely handicapped or mentally disabled humans, living in a sheltered forest village with their caretakers. Most of them are low-functioning palsy victims who can do nothing but drool and shit themselves. The caretakers are normal villagers who've perfected the art of constructing wooden wheelchairs and weaving wicker diapers. The stories of elves being these mystical, beautiful, ageless people are just fairy tales told by the caretakers (since in reality the "elves" are quite mundane, deformed and ugly, with an average lifespan of 14).

-are dunmer. Because let's face it they're cool. But they also have flying moth mounts as I'm trying to get more verticality into my dungeons.

This giants' lore seems like some of original trolls, they were believed to grow as large as mountains and become them somewhere in Europe.

Also, pic is a tibetan monastery. As a giant geometric-looking building in the mountains, it always seemed dwarfish to me. One could use medieval tibetan tribes as a basis for clans. The whole mountain range is the corpse of the Giant, and mineral veins are literally that. Crystal formation, general geology and geomancy become one thing on the eyes of dwarfs.

In this idea they also go back to their roots as maggots born of the corpse of Ysmir.

The Fall

Sounds like the inferior races are getting uppity, Druindar. Looks like we need to do some culling!

I have elves in my setting I just turned up their Tolkien qualities to 11.
>Believe they are absolutely superior to every other race in every way
>incredibly racist and have human slaves
>believe that they have conquered the natural world to the point that they can break natural law without fear
>They live in an empire devoted to insuring their own cultural dominance.

Elves existed but extinguished their own existence with magic and daemonic sorcery. Leaving behind ruins akin to ancient Egyptians and Aztecs.

underrated post

I would play the hell out of this

>rouge
Elf boisluts gotta buy warpaint so they can tart themselves up, after all

>Do I have to reply to this thread every day?

Have you actually read Tolkien?

No user elves are spain in 1898. They have just lost their last colony "Not-Cuba" and they retreated to the main land.

Meanwhile the young races of the west have emerge and are the new leaders of the world.

The elves in the game my friend cooked up are retarded as a concept, but neat.

Our last encounter with them, they chased us in biplanes dropping grenades on us while we ran for our lives.

Fucking xenos. Absolutely disgusting.

You see, men? THIS is why we must kill anything that is not like us.

Why read books when you can just parrot Veeky Forums memes

WERE THE USUAL ELVES, ONCE!

Then they discovered oil and became diesel-punk-with-a-dash-of-magitek-Helghast.

Or at least that's what they are right now. Not sure how to make them fit with the rest of the setting, which is honestly itself a bit rough too.

Are cruel and capricious, having built a continent-spanning empire by manipulating the gnomes into becoming their subjects. Nowadays they spend most of their time either having orgies or watching the gladiatorial fights.

-ARE FUCKING POISION

Build ironclads, live in hyperdense cities, and have a tendency to become pirates, since they live on an archipelago with heavy trading and not quite enough Royal Fleet presence (busy fighting the humans for trading rights with the dwarves).

Elvish Captain Jack Sparrow stealing an ironclad from the elvish capital is just way to metal to not have possible.

are a kind of cheese.

>And having acquired a taste for brown women, the elves sailed across the ocean to convert an entire continent to Elftholocism
>Their colonial policy can be described as a strange combination between "a country that prays together stays together" and "through dick, unity".

this seems like the middle of a palindrome

Kind of.

I know, right.

If I were intelligent, that'd be a pretty neat villain idea: a nobleman called Palin d'Rome.

>fat elf
You failed elf class.