BOARD GAMES GENERAL

/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

What do you love and what do you hate about your gaming group?

What's your worst case of buyer's remorse?

If you could play only 5 games for the next 5 years, which games would you pick?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon/pledge/new?clicked_reward=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Repost from old thread.
Just got King of Tokyo + Power Up expansion for 40$, what am I in for?

It's mainly going to get played as a filler game until others are coming / entry level game for new players.

>that OP pic
It's like you wanted this thread to be a shitfest...

>a filler game / entry level game for new players
exactly that
light fun

What? Isn't it popular at the moment? Seems to be the flavor of the month.

kys

> What have you played recently?
Middle Earth Quest. Finally my group beat Sauron, though he was so inexperianced he might as well had thrown the game.
> What do you love and what do you hate about your gaming group?
> love
They're my friend so I love that about my group.
> hate
I can only play "hard" games with maybe 2 of them. Anything that has even a modicum of complication like Chaos in the Old World is unplayable because the fourth seat will be taken by a guy that randomly throws the game in someones favor while not understanding what he did.
> What's your worst case of buyer's remorse?
Can't say that I have one. Even Munchkin gets a play through once in a while (and it's suprisingly fun when you add a timing element. i.e person with the highest level in 30 minutes wins)
> If you could play only 5 games for the next 5 years, which games would you pick?
Chaos in the Old World - for hard strategy
Kemet - for a lighter strategy
Imperial Settlers - euro + comfy
Codenames - social
Neuroshima Hex - 1v1 though that would imply I'd actually get to play 1v1 in the next 5 years

Not sure about the Kemet pick, though I love the game.

?

>What have you played recently?
Red 7. Nothing more.

>What do you love and what do you hate about your gaming group?
I love that everyone in my gaming group shares the same tastes.
I hate that I'm the only one in it.

>What's your worst case of buyer's remorse?
Tough question. The only games that I feel weren't worth my money are ones I only paid a pittance for, anyway.
If I absolutely had to pick one, I suppose it would be Tentacle Bento.

>If you could play only 5 games for the next 5 years, which games would you pick?
BattleCON, The Message, Nightfall, Blue Moon Legends and Star Realms.

FFG's holiday sale is live, good chance to give Asmodee a bit less cash than they usually want to settle for. Of special interest, a lot of the GW license stuff is pretty cheap.

Running through a campaign of Descent

I can't think of something that I love about my game group really, I can play heavy games with some of them I guess?
What I hate is that there's like 6 of us, and half of them have such specific tastes that only like 15% of my game collection can even hit the table. It's infuriating at times. I like the games we can play, but I like variety and some of the group would be perfectly happy playing the same game over and over again.

What's your worst case of buyer's remorse?
Don't really have one, closest thing is Star Trek: Fleet Captains if only because it never hits the table, not because it's bad.

>If you could play only 5 games for the next 5 years, which games would you pick?
Assuming getting the game to the table isn't an issue, I'd go with Among the Stars, Duel of Ages II, Valley of the Kings, Grand Austria Hotel, and CitOW.

question
made a homebrew rpg board game, there used to be a homebrew general or something of the like? would anyone care to redirect me

I recently just got back into mage wars arena, and by back into I mean playing for the first time because when I first got it a year I was able to play it maybe twice before I realized I'd never get anyone to play it with me. But I heard that you can play it on OCTGN, which I have never used before. Is there an active community around it on this website? Is it actually worth using or is it a janky mess of a site? I'd love to be able to play this game, I think it's fantastic, but it's just so hard to get to the table for me because I'm never able to do 1v1 type games. I always have 2 people over for any gaming, with the exception of when 1 of them comes a bit earlier than the other and we play something quick before the other guy gets there.

As a secondary question I guess, I DID just pick up battlegrounds, because I'd heard that it makes playing with 3 people way better due to the map structure and the new objective. Has anyone tried it with 3 people before, and if so, any recommendations on map setup/tips on how to make it as fun as possible?

there's the game design general, but it doesn't seems alive atm

yeah I saw, im reading a pdf posted there but its apparently for more advanced rpgs, non-board game related.

I also fell for the Mage Wars meme. Bought two expansions and tons of sleeves. What a waste of money.

me 3
It's actually not a bad game
If only I could get to play it more often...

>gaming groups
I have two of them, so let's start with
>Friday group
>love
quite a fair amount of people, lots of good bantz
>hate
two of them won't touch anything that is complex, one of them is fine to be around but the other one is an insufferable cunt

they also love Betrayal too much, and I can't stand seeing that game played weekly

>Saturday group
>love
can play any of my games without hesitation, pretty chill

>hate
it's generally only three of us so games that work better with higher player counts aren't ideal, we play at a friend's LGS and he very rarely has the time to join in, not to mention he closes pretty early so trying to do >3p Titan is out of the question

>worst case of buyer's remose
Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game or MTG: Arena of the Planeswalkers

>5 games for 5 years
Duel of Ages II
Cave Evil
Shadows of Malice
Titan
BattleCON

I wouldn't call it a meme. I DID play a couple rounds of it back when I first got it, and me and the person I played with really enjoyed it. It was my room mate who then moved out, and there was no easy way for me to get anyone else to play it. Like I said, I generally have a small game group of just me and 2 other guys, and when we occasionally have a 4th person, it's usually a friend who would have NO interest in a heavier game like this, so 2v2 isn't an option. I'm setting up books for this friday when I can try the 1v1v1 using the battlegrounds tiles, so we'll see how that goes. My only worry is that since I'm building the books and this is a game that only one of them has played (and he only played it once) it's going to be a little overwhelming at first, not because of the mechanics but because of how many fucking cards/keywords that are getting thrown around. It's really the games main weakness imo (mechanics wise, getting to play it is it's true weakness).

I'm thinking we'll have to play it at least twice to get a good feel; once just to introduce them to it, and the second time around using the same books, now that they know what kind of spells can come out and such. I'll obviously have the advantage the first game because I know exactly what options everyone has while they have no idea, which is why I'm really hoping they don't cave on the first round. I'll definitely hold back some stuff.

And don't feel too bad...I have the original core set AND the new core set, druid v necro, warlord v forcemaster, conquest of kumanjaro, and now battlegrounds. If nothing else, the giant original core box makes for a really nice set piece on top of my gaming shelf in the living room...

>playing Betrayal with 5 friends
>everyone except one person is on the main floor
>other guy upstairs
>only 4 rotations of turns in or so
>dude upstairs triggers the haunt
>fucking Mummy

do you have any idea how hard it was and lucky we had to be to beat that haunt? it is crazy though how many there are, especially with the expansion.

great pickup, although it can get a bit awkward to play if you don't have a table big enough.

>playing Blood Rage
>absolutely rolling
>take Ygddrisill twice unopposed
>completely bomb out a province with a Fire Troll
>maximum starting rage at the Third Age, the other two stats are nearly maxed as well by that point
>mfw the Lokifag next to me is counting his points at the end of the game and I just barely beat him

do you guys know why heroquest is so great?

Because of the BROWDSOWD

>we had to be so lucky to beat that haunt
Luck is literally the only thing going on in that game, calling it a great pickup is a weapons-grade stretch.

No, it's literally one ironic shitposter repeatedly posting over the top enthusiastic opinions on the game.

>haunt starts
>game ends due to blind luck before everyone even gets a second turn post haunt

My last three plays of betrayal.

Onitama and Mansions of Madness 2nd edition
I have 2 groups. One is very middle of the road in terms of depth and has shrunken in numbers quite a bit sadly as I attempt to reunite the group after 3 weddings and a lot of moving around.
The other wants to play heavier games and I enjoy playing with them, but we are absolutely opinionated towards what we love and don't always agree. Still, they are more consistent than the first group, just good luck getting them to try out 60% of my collection.
Seafall. I have played 1 game and I know it's early, but I let my friend from the heavier group talk me into it and now I feel locked into playing this for 15 game sessions and all the bad stuff I heard about it, it's just really dull dry gameplay for a legacy game that should demand better theme for it's story. Not to mention how ridiculously long it is. I finished Pandemic Legacy in 13 games with these guys and that was great because we could do 2-3 games a night. Seafall we are going to play once and be too mentally exhausted and tired of sitting to want to pull out a different game or anything.
Cosmic Encounter, Baseball Highlights 2045, Seasons, Dixit, Twilight Imperium 3.

Basically, my 3 favorite games, a good light game that doesn't lose it's appeal easily, and something with depth to master. Also all the ones I own too many expansions for, assuming in my 5 year mission I can take everything I fit in the box.

Hey! Two ironic shitposters... at least

What are some good co-op games for Tabletop Sim?

Introducing a friend to board games and I'd like to make sure they get a good look at what sorts of things are available.

>Feudum
>Fuck yeah hermit yourself in your own little corner of the board
>Dominate the guilds and manipulate things like a boss
>Advance rules because you cannot be little babby playing game
>Monsteran
>Expansionan
Damn right I want this on my table for christmas, getting drunk on and off the board, cozy times with that artwork.

>christmas
Christmas 2018 maybe

the artwork is definitely appealing, but it looks too Euro when I was skimming through the rulebook to maintain my interest

So, after this happened, I decided to actually look into it, and -amongst other things- I found a Board Game Brawl vid, and some info on the design it reimplements.

It looks like the game's OK. You happy now?
Still not backing it tho.

>buy Portal Games edition Neuroshima Hex a couple days ago after doing a quick browse for copies of the Z-Man edition to no avail on BGG and eBay
>punch out everything, sleeve cards
>check Amazon the next day and there's six copies of Z-Man edition in stock

feel like a dumbass now, should I pick it up for Doomsday Machine and try and sell the Portal Games edition?

Tried buying Battlelore, $90 shipping to Australia for one fucking game. No excuse for that, no support.

Has anyone played this? Is it good? Just bought it on a whim, so I am hoping that the answer is "yes," but tell it to me straight.

Compact/travel-friendly games? I'm backpacking soon and want to bring like 3

Just got Battlelore what am I in for?

You'll want to go boardless. Also, sleeve your cards.
Bag of d6s, pack of cards, bunch of chips. You can play/proxy a bunch of games.
You can take any card game in a deck box, 3-4 fit inside a double.

>gargoyle
>FUCKING FURNITURE

blood rage is a damn crazy game.
you can pull a strategy, and if the other players don't fuck up your plan (wich happens quite often) you can skyrocket your score.
the fun thing is that sometimes the board gets so fucked up that things can work your way by themselves.

Has anyone here played hyperborea? I'd never even heard of it and looking at the box made me think it was some kind of old ameritrash game until I played it tonight at some pre-bgg.con meet up.
It was really, really fun and had lots of interaction and interesting decisions. I'd honestly rank it as a contender for one of my favorite games.

1. TI3. I don't get to play very often right now, so I'd like to make the most of the opportunity when I can.
2. Agricola. I've had it for a while but have not had enough time to play it and get a feel for using all of the various decks.
3. C&C Ancients. I really want to run through a full campaign but only get to play in small doses.
4. A COIN game, either Liberty or Death or ADP since that's what I've got.
5. Dominant Species

So mostly games that allow for a lot of variation in play while still requiring a lot of careful strategy.

Anyone tried this one yet? I've heard it's Risk in name only and plays more like a card driven dudes-on-a-map type of game.

Yeh, all my friends are fucking casuals, that list would net me zero plays in five years.

Yeah, this takes my situation into account to be clear - I have friends who are into deep games, but we all have enough real life obligations that sessions are rare.

If I were writing this six months ago, when I was generally playing once/twice a week, very different list.

Terra Mystica because it's fucking siiiiick
TI3 for a huge epic game
Love Letter for the exact opposite
One Night Ultimate Werewolf for social games
Battlelore because I love wargames/miniatures and it would scratch that itch.

I remember checking out that kickstarter because I was a fan of the vidya it's based on, then NOPEing the fuck out when I saw it was made by the guys who released Myth. That game had the shittest rulebook I've ever seen, and judging by the comments on BGG this one's a bit of a mess as well.

I remember looking at it during the kickstarter. I came to the conclusion it was kind of shit and didn't back it. Sadly I can't remember precisely why. Sorry user :(

I feel like this game has such potential, but you have to be in a incredibly ideal situation to make the most of it. As in, you've got the core game, and your friend(s) have the core game, and you can meet up and you or the friend bring your spellbook to the match. Sadly, it's almost always "okay I've got the core, let's split it up in a way that's fair". It's pretty much LCG the board game for me.

Poot. These are not promising reviews. I saw a youtube of a combat scenario and how it played like a puzzle game, thought "huh, that's neat," then saw the price of $80 with all the minis and decided to go for it. Ah well. $80 for some corny minis to paint is fine, even if it blows.

On the plus side, if you like the combat system try out the game because it's very good and can be bought for about 10 burgerdollars.

Also you might be able to flip it for a profit to a fan of the game series down the line someday, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Me four. I really like it, but it's the kind of game that needs to be the only game you have, and you need to be a teenager with nothing else to do with your time to be able to devote yourself to it properly.

Dunno. But it's cheaper than shit, so go play it and tell me.

Any modern milsim board games? Grid maps, special units, etc

>nihilism? why would someone play that
>oh, muslim, wait what's that to do with grid maps and special units
>ah, milsim
It was a fun ride while it lasted.

I have played many games since, and nothing has been as satisfying as HeroQuest. I still can't figure out why. I feel a bit like all the other games are chasing the dragon for me (forgive the pun).

And reason HeroQuest is great is because of hero's brew. Because really, who's gonna argue?

Thoughts? Watched some reviews and gameplay, looks like a lightweight version of D&D.

Less RPG replacement, more "complete your objective before the Overlord/AI completes theirs". Nice if you just want a board game that gives you a character and lets you customize them though.

there's an app for it which replaces the need for one player to be the Overlord (DM). Haven't tried it so I can't comment if it makes the game more RPG-like and less like said.

The 1000K stretch goal. Pretty epic looking mini.

I'm currently using the app to go through a campaign. It absolutely makes the game more RPG-like and more interesting to boot, to the point that I won't ever be playing with an Overlord again unless we have 5 people and we're forced to play Descent for some reason.

>Epic looking
>pegasus body
>angles, angles everywhere
>wings have just been mashed with a cocktail stick
>constipation pose

Also, wtf with those front legs, look like they've been loped off and are the middle of bursting out regeneration wise.

I really don't care, man. I noticec lot of people shilling the game and thought it was funny so decided to join.

kek same here

kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battles-pantheon/pledge/new?clicked_reward=false

You guys should go get in on that Feudum action instead.

that fucking OP you already shit up last thread with your shilling.
No it s only you who find this game fom.

buying into your shitty bait

Why so buttblasted though?

wow a fucking pegasus.
they dont even hide how OP that """"kickstarter exclusive"""" will be 5activation cards and 3 art war..
yeah fucking jewing people to get that exclusive paytowin OP shit.

Yeah but he also costs 5RP and you only have 12. That guy alone uses up almost half of that.

because i secretely backed the kickstarter and hope people will fund it a lot so i can get a huge resale value out of a lackluster game.
the game mechanic are terrible, especially the dices.
the only good thing is that you have to manage your activation card to not end up with a unit becoming useless cause no more cards.

I already made 275$ dollar out of a 125$ conan king pledge so i m hoping for the same. but at least conan was a good game, a bit lacking in scenario but still great with a nice group strategy to defeat the overlord.

It's still very much a "complete your objective quickly" deal even with the app, but your finish line is a lot hazier, and the random events can be amazing, like the time when my party saved a goblin, and later it came back during a side quest with some archers and dealt damage to a few monsters. We still lost that one, the horde of monsters were way too tough. The app also has a mode for randomized dungeons if you don't want to play a campaign.

>i secretely backed the kickstarter
>lackluster game
>the game mechanic are terrible, especially the dices

Your thinly veiled lies won't work here lad.

Also you don't know the rules. When your deck runs out of cards you shuffle your discard pile and it becomes your new deck so you don't have to worry about a unit becoming useless for the rest of the game.

then the game is even more shit than i thought since you dont have to worry about managing your activation cards.
I just backed it because i knew i would get twice the money i ll invest on it.
i just hope this time i wont have to wait for 2years to get my investement back.

The game is lackluster to my point of view, the dice mechanism is annoying muh special custom dice.
it s just another version heroclix with a board

You have to consider unit composition.
You have to consider number of activation and art of war cards each unit gives you.
You have to consider when to activate which unit or which power for the biggest effect.
You have to consider whether to go for full-on combat or chasing omphalos. Or how to do a bit of both.
You have to consider positioning of your units, keeping in mind range, terrain, and powers.

There is enough decision making. Not sure why you insist on talking the game down, making it sound like it's a dumb King of Tokyo kind of deal. It's a very fun and well designed skirmisher that offers a lot of replayability and tactical decision making.

Is this 1 big objective the team has to face together? or do we each also get a sidequest?
Like be the one who lights all the beacons or save the most villagers and so on and so on?

Does it feel RPGish or do you feel like you are led by the hand and you just throw dice and hope you kill the monster.

It has great reviews, but I am afraid it will fall flat.

should i get Die Macher

A single big objective you need to clear for each quest. The side quests are quests you can play through to beef yourselves up before needing to play through a main quest. The objectives themselves are pretty varied, ranging from simple 'kill X', to 'take all magical items to disrupt a ritual, then kill the ritual master'.

The closest RPG-like thing it has is that you have your own character, and you can choose what skills to purchase with experience, as well as choosing the equipment they're using. You can't really choose to do weird things once you're playing a quest, though you can choose what side quest you want to do. Both app and regular Descent has random events as you travel from place to place, but that's it.

Get it if you want to have a game that's just about fighting monsters and completing quests, with just enough theme that you can feel like the character you're playing when doing awesome things. Avoid it if you're expecting a grand story with multiple branching plot points, or as a replacement to actual DnD.

Maybe look up some play videos, get a feel of how your turns will be?

Watched Rhado do the first quest, it seems nice.
I'll see what the group says, we got a couple of super casuals who don't seem to interested
and a few who like me never had experience with board gaming, but got this whole mental image of what it is from watching all the D&D stuff on TV, we think it seems cool, will we be disappointed? or will this give us what we are looking for, even just as a stepping stone into D&D or D&D like board games?

If you've never played DnD before, then you'll probably be satisfied with Descent. It satisfies the urge to play a band of adventurers working together to complete a quest, the good feel of rolling good rolls and clearing swathes of enemies in a single turn, or going back and forth with another player beating down a tough boss enemy while surviving it's attacks. As long as you're aware that the best path is not always killing and uncovering everything then moving on, but instead making a beeline to get to your objective faster, then you should be fine.

I wish I could tell you to try a similar but less expensive game first, but I can't think of any that offers the same experience unfortunately.

Also, are the side quests going on in the middle of the main quest? and are they individual or again, team side quests?
Or do they take place in their own map?

Is this an appropriate area to discuss the dark souls board game?

All quests play like a full quest, with a group objective and monsters and stuff, not stuff like "put this sword in this location while doing a quest that's completely unrelated to get something". The reason I called the "in-between main quests" quests as "side quests" was because they're usually completely unrelated to the main quest, atleast in the app (regular Descent's is connected I think). My bad if I caused confusion there.

sure thing
it s a still a boardgame even thou miniatures are more prevalent.
i m a bit annoyed i didnt backed the kickstarter back then but i wasnt convinced with the gameplay video and the size of the tiles when it came to boss fight.

The devs have been pretty good with the updates, and they've taken a lot of the criticism on board when it came to regular board game players giving it. Tiles are no longer random, boss tiles are bigger, and there's much more enemy pattern cards.

The miniatures are pretty good looking, I'm going to have a blast painting them myself.

I'm going to try and work the boardgame into a dnd hybrid campaign. Not sure exactly how it'll work, I'll probably need the rulebook in my hands before I can tell it's viable, but It would be great fun.

Miniature image I guess, sorry posting from mobile

But it's fun and casuals love the random aspect.

>Any modern milsim board games?

Yes, Plenty. Try GMT games. They have an excellent track record. If you love complex rules sets also check out MMP (Multi-man Publishing).

Descent guy here again, would you say playing as the Overlord character keeps you out of the loop? or is it fun and engaging even while you play "solo".

How long are the App campaigns and the normal player-overlord campaigns?

Debating on Emergence Event Galaxy Edition on Kickstarter, especially since the base game will be shipped next month.

What is different about this game compared to Xia, Eclipse, or even TI3?

Is it worth buying?

>3X
>no exterminate

Dropped

I'm aware there's not the fourth X.

I'll wait for a real response and see if anyone actually wants to engage in discussion instead of dropping memes.

The Overlord plays a whole different side of the game, with different mechanics and different objectives to achieve while sending out monsters at the players. It's still fun, but you'll have to hold back if you want your players to have fun too, especially since you have full knowledge of the current quest and the players don't.

Normal campaigns are roughly 8-10 quests I think, and I think I'm still halfway through my app campaign and played through 4 quests, could've been more if we didn't head back to town to recover Morale.

>buying kickstarters to flip for profit
>waiting at least a year to make about 100 bucks, sometimes more, sometimes less

I'll never see the merit of this. Just seems like an incredibly small profit (number wise, not percentage wise) after such a long wait.

Descent guy here for the last time.
I'm trying to get a grasp of what the game is like, and from what I can tell there isn't much of a stroy, you just get a mission and you have to do it, fail and the next ones are harder.

No real role-playing here, you get a character. you customize it as you like and you just kill monsters and do the missions you are assigned.

Since I can't really wrap my head around the "idea" of the game (I got the mechanics down) would you just say its a good game to dive in head first for a group of boardgaming newbies who never played anything co-op?

I'm looking for something thats a bit less intense from our "Take That" games, and this seems like a nice breath of fresh air.

I've been wanting to get into this game SO BADLY. i've been looking how to get this shit into Tabletop Simulator to play with pals.

Any ideas? My dick is so hard at the thought pls pls tell me there's a blood rage file somewhere. There has to be. It's obviously on the steam workshop

>tfw too retarded to find it.

Yes, if you like politics and dry eurogames and have friends who enjoy long thinky games.

>and from what I can tell there isn't much of a stroy, you just get a mission
The missions are connected and have stories attached in the rulebook, but yeah that's the gist of it.

>would you just say its a good game to dive in head first for a group of boardgaming newbies who never played anything co-op?
I played Descent as my second board game, so it's fine. It's a bit rules heavy though, and messing up rules can make it feel a bit unfair, for either side. If you think your group can handle it, have at it.

For alternative co-ops, Betrayal is pretty popular as a newbie's "make stories out of random stuff that happens" game, and Pandemic is a more puzzle-like co-op game. There's more, but those are the popular ones.

If you want an immersive character building experience, you won't get it with descent 2e. It's a very streamlined RPG. Think golden axe or gauntlet. I've got it, plan to get rid of it. The overlord role was never very fun. The Others Seven Sins blows it away (less so story wise), and so does Conan (again less so in the long story)

If you want an RPG experience, I'd say just play an RPG.

It's still KS preorder pay-to-win exclusive content.
Board games sure embraced the vidya industry's business practices. DLC, promos, exclusives, low-effort sequels, day one preorder bonuses, p2w, microtransactions, abusive pricing and distribution, shady deals with reviewers, large studios crowdfunding shit because fuck taking risks and spending their own money

The Golden Age of Board Gaming, ladies and gentlemen.

Forgot SJW taint and greedy bankers