EDH/Commander General

Tribal Commanders That Needed More Colors Edition

>>Old Thread:
>
>RESOURCES
>
>>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
>mtgcommander.net
>
>>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
>tappedout.net
>
>>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>
>>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
>edhrec.com/
>
>>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
>manabasecrafter.com/
>
>>CARD SEARCHING
>
>>Official search site. Current for all sets.
>gatherer.wizards.com/
>
>>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
>magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=405145
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-11-16-edh-enchantress/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think that clerics need more support

I wish he was green so I could run all the land lords and finally have a slightly less cancerous bant deck.

As terrible as it would be, I'd like a legendary option for playing the Kamigawa spirits.

While I'm at it, a valid 4c Samurai legend would be nice. Saskia kinda fits but it's a total flavor fail.

At the very least a Naya Samurai so you could run Iizuka and Isao in the same deck. Toshiro is fun but doesn't really jive with the tribal aggro thing.

Not that it matters as samurai are godawful anyway.

Hey Commander General, I'm fairly new to commander and have a question about color identity.

Does General Tazri have all 5 colors, because of her ability, or just 1 because she's monowhite? I want to make an ally deck and don't know if she lets me use all the colors or not

All colors.

I kinda like Munda more for allies.

Five colours. Used to be she'd be mono white but that was changed quite a while ago now.

Sick, thanks.

Yeah she's all colors. Also if you want a competitive version of her prepare to shell out big bucks for competitive mana bases. My budget version still cost me 150'

You know what's fun?

Having Parellel Lives on the field with an Omnath Locus of Rage with a Blade of Selves equipped to it.

Thanks for the warning. I'm mostly looking to dick around with friends right now, but I guess I'll start saving up

Spicy or Mild?

Has to be from battlefield and enchantment destruction is pretty prominent so you wouldn't be able to reanimate them later, so i'd say mild.

Mimic Vat's better.

Not very powerful but great art.

Is it entirely possible to build a good colorless commander without having to shill out money? I don't want to kill my paycheck to build one

My recommendation is to pick up a handful of artifact tutors so you can run amulet of vigor. Once that card hits the field you are golden to play your five color lands however you want.

Stuff like trinket mage and diabolic tutor are cheap and effective, and make guild gates better double lands.

>me and friend get Atraxa and Yidris precons
>he gets mad because "it's impossible for Yidris to beat Atraxa"
>switch decks tonight
>win and he gets made
i wish i felt good but i just feel sad

lemme do the math on that
say you're attacking x players
that means there are 2(x-1) omnath tokens that enter
All but the original are sacrificed due to the legend rule
That means that each token + the original omnath sees all of these elementals die
so that's (2(x-1))^2 + 2(x-1) triggers
assuming you're playing a standard 4 man pod, x is 3, which means you get 20 triggers, meaning 60 damage you can divide among everyone in increments of 3
dam son

if I used this to gain control of a land would it trigger landfall?

No since the land is already on the battlefield.

>20 bolts
That's pretty tasty add in more token doublers or damage doublers and you can blow the game the fuck out.

damn, and here I was hoping for a way to make that card not useless.

It's kind of already not useless. Paying 4 mana to take a sol ring or a planeswalker or something every turn is pretty good. Seriously, a landfall trigger was the best you could think of?

i think it's actually very good

it's not that great in 1v1 but in multiplayer there's always going to be something really useful on the table to steal. it can even steal planeswalkers!!

>4 mana to steal control of an annoying permanent
>not useful

Stealing daretti's darksteel forge and saccing it, and using crypt to remove it was satisfying as fuck

Come to think of it, I wonder how does the legend rule actually work, since you don't sacrifice the legendary permanents, nor do they die in a traditional sense, they are just placed in the grave.
For example, you won't get trigger from Smothering Abomination when you copy a legend that you already control and rule applies.

Straight from WotC

>If the equipped creature is legendary, the tokens will all enter the battlefield. Then you’ll choose one of them to remain on the battlefield. The others will be put into your graveyard. Any enters-the-battlefield or dies triggers of the tokens will work.
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=405145

So after buying all 5 new commander decks, I gave Saskia a whirl today after swapping a bunch of the bad cards out. Treacherous Terrain performed amazingly and I honestly want to put it into every GR deck ever due to how hard it punishes durdly decks. Saskia herself also beat up the pillowfort hard.

I'm not sure which I want to try next, I'm thinking either Atraxa or Yidris, however since Yidris has Haste I know he's just going to die immediately before I even get to use him (my group are very wary of me even breathing the wrong way so I need the element of surprise), but at the same time everyone in my LGS is probably going to be running Atraxa Superfriends and I want to be a special snowflake and play against the meta.

I meant to say Yidris doesn't have haste, whoops.

They still die because they moved from the field to the graveyard.

The dying part was unclear for me. Still, it's not saccing, which does matter in some cases, such as with Smothering Abomination I mentioned earlier.
I need to clarify that to some people contantly for some reason.

so if i have a card like chief of the foundry out, and i have to recast my commander (the artifact legendary creature one), does chief of the foundry's effect work on it?

Yes, it works.

Yeah, if you have multiple legendaries of the same name they aren't sacrificed. They just die, the only way to circumvent that rule is mirror gallery and brother's yamazaki(at least for 2 of them)

If kick a rite of replication on Reaper King is it 4 permananets destroyed or 20? Before 4 of them die of course.

25 permanents are destroyed.

If it creates 5 tokens wouldn't each of the new ones trigger off the other 4?

Grody

Hey anons I am building a deck for every color combo, and right now I am on u/g. I was going to build edric because I thought it would be a cheap deck because it uses a lot of cheap evasive creatures and I own a few staples, but recently I pulled a rashmi. Should I stick with edric or are would rashmi be a better choice? They both look fun, but edric has a reputation.

OG reaper king ability goes off, then all the tokens entering trigger.
>RoR creates 5 tokens kicked, og reaper king goes off 5 times
>each other triggers 4 times(original reaper king is not included for their trigger) so 20 times altogether
>25 permanents are destroyed

Oh shit how'd I forget about the original?

This is of course assuming you control the original.

Give me a janky commander to make.

I'm tearing Azusa apart (no one likes me playing solitair) so something with green would work.

i don't own either decks but

i'd say stick to edric. if you're going to make a tryhard simic deck, you might as well go all in and use the most tryhardiest commander for it. and it's good to have at least one super-tryhard deck around. you never know what kind of play group you might end up in.

edric is also more build-around and spicy so he's probably more fun than rashmi who seems to be mostly good for goodstuffy stuff. and simic goodstuff costs a lot of money to build and isn't even fun to play

I'm trying to make a hug deck for the first of our supertryhard 8 player matches this fall in enchantress style.

I'm using Kydele for obvious reasons but I really like Raxos for the "please stop wiping argothian plz guys" moments.

Good new cards would be great, but really I'd like some help cutting a couple just for flexibility. We're a proxy-encouraged group and I'm anticipating some bullshit.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-11-16-edh-enchantress/

>green jank
Yeva, Yisan

Reki

Baru, Fist of Krosa
It looks janky until suddenly all your creatures have +12/+12 and trample.

>Yisan
>Jank
Yisan is literally vintage tier commander and banned in memEDH.

Yisan isn't junky, and Yeva is in Ezuri

I don't have enough legendary green stuff. :(

Maybe. He kinda function the same as Ezuri tho. Just less effective cuz
>muh elves

I got a challenge for you /edhg/ would can make the most expensive deck possible.
Hard mode, no power 9 [spoiler/]

*and link it on tappedout

Foil 5c super friends with Expedition fetches and Alpha duals

Why not power 9? One of them is legal at least.
Besides, it's not really hard, just 5-colour monstrosity with every foil that is available, no basics or such.

Just build a modern deck and add 40 cards. :^)

>no Summer Magic duals
>no full set of Test 8th edition

C'mon, give us a challenge, like most expensive deck possible, made entirely of commons

Also, non-foil, non-alter, so no foil gift of Orzhova

I only have room for just 1 counters creature on my Atraxa deck.

Which one should I include, Juniper Order Ranger or Ishai?

Do you have carnifex demon?

If you have to ask, Ishai

Enduring Scalelord

Those are both terrible but Juniper Order Ranger is less terrible.

No and he seems spicy. But I like to keep the black color in my Atraxa low and limit it to just tutors.

No.

Onions

Hakkon running command beacon

>playgroups' faces when I land stasis with Atraxa and pentad prism out

I kind of really miss my Omnath deck. Doing shit like this, killing someone and getting every basic in your deck with Perilous Foreways, using instant land ramp as combat tricks. I took it apart for Xenagod which is fun and consistent, but it really lacks complexity.

I built Newlamog/Newzilek/Emranew on a budget of about 50 bucks. I managed to pull a Mana Crypt from EMA, but aside from that the build is mainly just cheap mana rocks and eldrazi.

>blade of selves on reaper king
feels food mang

So how do people feel about the "invent superiority deck"? going up against the other precons, should I use breya. silas-bruse, or silas-akiri? i can change a few of the cards (on a tight budget though). I kind of want to do breya combo, but it feels like it is going to be too expensive to tune, and at lower price points it will be too low powered to go off. silas-akiri seems strong. akiri can get pretty big pretty quick and reanimation (even as ineffectively as silas' reanimation is) stapled to a commander is very useful. what is your take on it, guys?

>tfw Godo isn't in Boros colors
Feels fucking bad man. All that white Equipment tech I can never use.

How are you building the memestrom wielder, Veeky Forums?

I'm loooking at running only discard-based wheels, megrim/caress/waste not type effects, some unblockable and double strike enablers, and ramp. Goal will be to beat them down with an ogre wizard while disrupting their hands and hurting them for it while cascading into value or more wheels.

Think I'm stretching it to thin?

Storm

how do i make her better without shelling out 2 billion for a darksteel forge?
yeah i know she's bad but i got her for free from a friend and elves are for fags

>darksteel forge
it's five bucks, bruh.

That's pretty much the default deck, but with unblockables and double strikes.

Seriously, how will that work? You got a decklist or any neato card techs to post? I love storm as a mechanic but no idea how to brew it with Yidris.

i must have confused it with something else when i went to buy it then, i remember it being 20 bucks

question: if you "take control of" a permanent with equipment, does the equipment come with you too?

mycosynth lattice maybe?

the equipment stays attached to the permanent while you control it, but you do not gain control of the equipment itself.

Mind's eye

Also the key is to have a lot of low CMC spells, like 1-3 mana. So that when you land a double strike hit with yidris you can cast a billion spells and use a storm spell as a finisher after you've cast 10+ spells in one turn.

Extra combat phase things will actually be quite good in this deck because then you can BTFO someone after casting all that shit, and they would untap all your mana dorks for even MORE spells

probably yeah
anyway question still stands, how do i make pashiri better

Also a good side effect of casting mostly 3 mana spells is you can now include all the counter spells you would like without worrying about fizzling them because your cascade triggers won't hit them most of the time

>pick up breya deck after wanting to play an artifact commander for a while
>one friend picks up atraxa and decides to play superfriends
>another friend picks up breya and wants to play artifact control
>atraxa deck absolutely destroys both of us despite it being 2v1 for most of the game

Did I just waste my money?
What the fuck can I do with this deck to improve it?
How is this even supposed to play?

You can go wide:
token doublers(Doubling Season, Primal Vigor, Parallel Lives, Second Harvest)
Rings of Brighthearth.
Untap effects(Puppet Strings, Thousand-year Elixir)
Pump / anthem effects(Craterhoof & baby craterhoof)

Or you can find some sort of artifact-based combo that may or may not be in green, and go full artifacts. I have no real advice there, but she does enable things like Kuldotha Forgemaster, Inventor's Fair, etc.

Holy shit, that card is fantastic.It's so specifically worded that it fits perfectly with Yidris. I'm guessing tendrils of agony is the main wincon then? Of course with all the freebies you'll get it probably won't even matter and you'll just kill them with value.

Ah. So I wouldn't be able to attach the eq. to one of my creatures and keep it?

Yeah dude mind's desire is going to be an all star in most yidris decks once people catch on. Also haze of rage can be a great way to pump all your small creatures for a surprise win on a second combat phase

Is storm relatively cheap to build? Poorfag who bought the Ydris pre-con here, and I was contemplating going voltron with him.

thanks for the suggestions, rings of brighthearth and doubling season are way too expensive though

Most storm cards are relatively cheap. This is compounded by the fact that the strategy lends itself to lower CMC cantrips anyway, so the deck shouldn't be too expensive to get going

shrug. You don't need them for the deck to function, they just make the commander better.

What commander makes you just hate life when you see someone pull it out?

Zur. I'll take Narset any day of the week over that shitbird.

Nekusar. I am literally the only person at my table who recognizes him as a threat, whereas the other dumb shits at my table are like, "ooooo, free cards! This couldn't POSSIBLY backfire in any way!"

Brago. I know exactly what's going to happen and it sucks every time.

My group would say Uril because, while he rarely wins, at least one person is going to lose before I do.

meren