WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PbakwKMpKUw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Show me your workstations /WIP/!

That's some serious organization you got there, user!

Based Duncan bless this thread

Brutes ready for choppin'!

Do you guys clean up your work station for pictures. Because my station is a wretch.

Are there any guides out there for painting space? I want to paint my Slann wizard to look like he is made of galaxies and shit

I want to do a conversion for this creature. Anyone know of any good looking Lions I can use as a base?

Here is what I have been working on today. I like the gold trim and I do not like the silver. I am going to have to figure out how to add both in the model as they are my gun colors.

Cool concept. Follow your dreams and anything is possible.

80's/10

Looks like somethings you'd see out of Heavy Metal during one of the obligatory "we know you're tripping, so zone out for 5 minutes" scenes

Kurwa

What's a good spraypaint for starting out bases?

I've been looking to follow this video youtube.com/watch?v=PbakwKMpKUw but the guy uses some UK brands that don't seem available in the USA. Any recommendations?

Check out Army Painter. Their stuff is a little on the expensive side but they have some really good base colors that will save you a lot of time base coating.

I second this if you don't mind the price tag. I use AP Daemonic Yellow spray to start my Imperial Fists' basecoat and I can never go back.

That seems pretty neat to me. My station is just organized because I switched from painting mode (a dozen pots strewn across my desk) to assembling mode and I need to make sure I have the right count of bolters to chests to shoulder pads, etc.

Shitty phone pictures ahoy!

That station is organized because I just set it up. I had all my stuff packed away for over a year and am trying to get back into the hobby. Right now after painting a few things my station looks like shit.

Finished. C&C? Still getting the hang of skin

looks like the wash was a little splotchy in places? Other than that not bad. They're guardsmen, nobody expects them painted to golden daemon quality.

Everyday I think about painting my desk.

them's some clean weapons and armour for Orcs, user.

>has all these awesome old metal guardsmen
>uses the new plastic commissar

YOU HAD ONE JOB

Although that said, at least the plastic commissar has the old school vibe, what with the old school power sword.

Thanks the reply, I'll be honest and as silly as it sounds, every time I paint I try to get achieve golden daemon standard.
Not close, but theyre definitely painted better than my orks and daemons at least
I had him lying in a box, so I said why not.

>Looks like somethings you'd see out of Heavy Metal during one of the obligatory "we know you're tripping, so zone out for 5 minutes" scenes

Look, man, if there's one thing I know how to do, it's how to fly when I'm stoned. It's like, you know yer perspective's fucked... you just gotta let yer hands work the controls as if you were straight.

I think that picture doesn't quite do them justice either. I bet when they're on the table they look excellent. Guardsmen look best when they're on the table in number anyways. When you've hit the level you've got, and you have a whole army, the opponent just has this look of "oh god he was crazy enough to paint that many to that standard, what the fuck is he up to?"

Also that priest looks excellent.

awwwww yeah

I'm painting Skitarii, so I need more metallic. The tutorial I'm following recommended

Montana Gold Stealth (for basecoating the base)
Army Painter Platemail (for basecoating the model)

Looks like $16 and $17 respectively. Really more than I was hoping to spend on base paints, but I guess at least a big can like that should last for a lot of models?

I wondering if I shouldn't just get the Platemail and basecoat both parts with it to save money, even if it doesn't look as good.

Its all relative. How long will it take you to base coat each model by hand? How much is your time worth?

Well when you put it that way, I suppose it's worth buying the second can.

Still curious about how many models I can probably base out of a 400ml can however.

The lions from the WHFB high elf chariot.
Foundry also has an extensive range of african animals, as does North Star.

What do you guys think? Is gold trim too excessive for the hats?

They have a line there like theyre supposed to get a detail color but I think gold looks a little too excessive. Maybe red instead?

BEHOLD!!!

>is gold too excessive for a commissar?
>Imperium
>gold

and the construction/basing coffee-table

Does that thing have armed arms for eyes?
Mobile atm

Paint desk battlestation

How does this Marine look fellas
Base: Lead Belcher
Layers: Gehenna's Gold and Runefang steel
Eyes @ Company Colors: Wazdakka Red
Shader: Nuln Oil
Underarmor: Eshin Grey
Power Sword Blade: Runefang Steel/Wazdakka Red Mix
Primer: Chaos Black
>I spent three hours painting him.

Man, you've got a meme in your army. That's Golden Demon enough for me.

>tfw I don't have a workstation

It's rough. I'm in a small apartment and mostly just build on my flimsy table. The worst part is my old paints dried out, and I have to rebuild my collection.

It's a sad kinda sad.

>Golden Demon?
He is from a homebrew chapter of mine called the Granite Eagles.

Hmm I may look into the elf chariot, but it may be too small. Im looking at 32mm, really big beefy lions

Yes? Im surprised Poots doesnt have this as a model

I'm in need of some large, cheap tank guns I can use for a Hammerhead railgun stand-in. Trying to keep the overall cost below $22 USD so I can at least justify not buying a real Hammerhead kit to myself (besides the desire to kitbash). It can be pretty scrappy; my original plan was an Earthshaker cannon and half a Basilisk shield before that turned out to be $30+. Any suggestions?

Love the colors, but the paint looks thick. Are you thinning your paints enough?

I didn't even mention you at any point in those two sentences.

Didn't think when I did that.

Hey fa/tg/uys, I'm in the middle of repainting my UM's since they were my first army and they look like fried shit. My problem is do I go with Gehennas Gold (right) or Auric Armour Gold (left). Please give me some real feedback and THEN call me a bitch for liking UM's.

Auric Armour Gold fits better here desu.

The 'classic' UM look has always had a very bright, yellow gold. Gehenna Gold is too brown.

I'm always a fan of deeper, richer colors. I like Gehennas Gold on UMs.

Ok, so. I'm going to probably be dropping a bunch of cash on GW paints this weekend to do a small painting session at my LGS, maybe get more people playing.

What GW colors are good for Silver armor and red robes? It sounds simple enough, but idk how bright the silver should be, what shade of red I should use, If I should use a gold trim for the iconography or something else, if I should trim the robes a different color, ect.

I'm bad with colors.

Here's a UM I did for a friend using Gehennas Gold on the trim, for reference.

Sounds to me like you want Leadbelcher and Khorne Red with highlights of Runefang Steel and Mephiston Red, respectively.

Don't you have it backwards for the reds? I was under the assumption that Mephiston Red is the base colour, while Khorne Red is a layer paint.

too much nuln oil. try to spread it thinner next time instead of letting it pool.

Khorne Red is deeper than Mephiston, and both are base paints.

They are both base paints. Khorne red is your deep, blood red color and Mephison red is your 255,0,0 Mcdonalds French Fry box red. I think it makes a good highlight for Khorne.

Try doing a spot type of wash. Essentially, just target the cracks and recesses. You can actually get the same effect right now. Just go back over the model with the base colors, making sure not to get the paint into the recesses and panel lines.

Also, little tip for your gold, try Balthasar Gold as your base and work up to the bright gold. I've been doing that and makes the gold look much better as it gives it a bit of depth and a nice base color to build off of.

Actually you know what, strike that. I think Wazdakka Red is way better than Mephiston and I'm retarded.

I stand corrected. Admittedly, I haven't picked up a pot of Citadel red paint since 2008ish with the classic Blood Red & Red Gore.

Both pots are still good actually, though I bought some Vallejo reds recently to slowly phase the old paints out.

How do you get your transfers on so nice, friend?

Thanks, I'll give them a shot. It's for Sisters of Battle of you haven't guessed.

How do I actually highlight armor? I mean, where do I put it? There aren't really any raised bits like on the robes. Do I just pick an area like an oval?

Wasn't Mephiston red the old Citadel Foundation color? I used to use that for the base on my robes, then I washed them with that Baal wash before everything changed over.

Mephiston Red is Mechrite Red in old Citadel colors.

When you're highlighting armor, just try and hit those raised surfaces that catch the light. You don't want to overdo it, less is more. Warhammer TV has some excellent tutorials on doing various highlights.

>Mechrite

Derp. Yes, that was the one. They had a weird smell.

I'll have to check out those videos everyone keeps talking about, but I get what you're saying with the light.

What color primer should I use? Most of my stuff is currently black, but I'm empty and have a few more to prime.

I honestly got lucky with that one. I was able to slide it on with no ridges. I do take measures to try and reduce ridges though. I don't try and cut to the shape of the transfer, I cut completely around it because I would rather make a relief cut into the clear part of the transfer than the white part in order to relieve a ridge. Second, I slide it on using an old fine detail brush, then I use light strokes to work it flat. If there's any ridges around the edges, I try to smooth them out with my thumbnail before making any sort of relief cuts on them. Then I apply a light mixture of about 4 parts water and 1 part white glue to seal it on.

Thank you!

I use Rustoleum Dark Grey auto primer. I like the matte color of it and paint sticks to it like shit to a blanket, but it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to make your armor look worn, prime it dark. If you want it to look parade ready, prime it a light color. Either way you can't go wrong with Rustoleum auto primer.

No problem. I hope that wasn't too rambly.

Goddamn Custodes take ages to paint.

Its taken almost 3 hours and I haven't even finished the basecoats, let alone cleaned them up.

Damn fine work though so far. What do you think of the BoP box so far? Worth picking up?

>auto primer

Maaannn. I have trauma from my first time priming. I used rustoleum and my shit came out fuzzy. Ever since then, I've only used GW out of fear for my models. One time I used Army Painter, which was nice.

Anyway, I'll probably go with far for the battle worn look.

>Fuzzy

Huh. That's strange. I've never had that issue. Maybe a humidity issue in the area where you were drying it? The only issues I ever had was actually with GW stuff. I was recently painting something a guy primed with Chaos Black spray and getting paint to stick to that was a nightmare.

Now that you mention, I've been having trouble with paint sticking to my Horrors. I thought it was the shitty paint I was using, but it dries fine on my equally shitty pallet. I thought maybe I watered it down too much, which is also why I was going to finally build a wet pallet.

Maybe I'll give the Rusto a shot again.

Its not as good as the BaC to be honest. I think its the lack of vehicle, and generic characters. However the quality is superb.

However there are a few small things that pissed me off. I feel like making the backpack 2 pieces, and the legs 2 pieces is really annoying. Its like 9 pieces to make each bolter marine now. Plus I feel like the Mk3 marines needed a 2nd heavy weapon, as theres no missile launcher like in BaC.

What they really should have done is make an extra sprue with 10 breacher shields, 10 bolt pistols, and 10 chainswords. That way 30k players could have made breachers, non-jumppack assault squads etc.

They already have 10 chainswords in there but they're weird holstered ones.

>spray paint
>give it a shot

Oh you.

It has taken me longer than I wanted and I need to go back and touch up a few spots, but I hope my DVark Angels and their Inquisitor friend are at least tabletop acceptable.

Not my intention, honestly.

FUUUUUCK mate those are crisp as hell. Well done.

>mold line on plasma gunner's head
>bare spot on plasma gunner's shoe where the paint rubbed off from handling
>inquisitor's face looks awful
>didn't highlight the bones in the chaplain's armor
>sloppy highlights on chaplain in general
>gold probably needed one more edge highlight because four different metallic paints and a wash being involved it looks flat
>got superglue all over my fingers during final assembly

duncans first mini :')

Working on a succubus and a pilot after stripping 1100$ of dark eldar.

About 900$ worth was salavagable post dip.

Not bad for 200$.
Not bad for

Those need a shade in the worst way but otherwise they're great.

Also working on some Dark Angels. Idk what to do for the bases other than flat black

Im about to get an orruk megaboss and I want to give him an armored head. Anyone with experience know if black ork heads would work? Or maybe that black ork banner top that has the huge spikes?

I honestly don't know what to say. I slathered on so much biel-tan green right after the base coat.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? GW shades seem really subtle once they dry, or do I just need to do two coats of shade?

agrellan earth is actually pretty nice.

by itself it is bland, but give it a wash and a drybrush and it looks a ton better.

Crushed crafting moss works great, dont thin your glue though.

Maybe it's just the lighting? I'm looking at it more closely now and I can make out the shading better but from a distance they look a bit flat. They're definitely tabletop ready and look great though.

Thanks ill look into those

Something that was hard for me to get over was figuring out when a model is done and you'll always be your own worst critic. There will always be flaws that only you can see and if you were to try and fix them all, you would be working forever. Are they gonna win a Golden Daemon? No, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that they look good from 3 feet away on the table amongst both your army and your opponent's. You did well.

Thought for the day:
“Thin your paints.”

those look like orruks from AOS

Black Ork heads are roughly the same size, maybe just a little bit smaller.
I think the banner head would be cool though.

Thanks user

Is the banner top head a good size? it really is my first choice if it will fit on the orruk boss.

Pic related.

>gold
>excessive

There is no such a thing in the imperium young grasshopper

it's a bit big. I'll post tomorrow with a size comparison

It's slightly larger than the usual head, but would look pretty cool without the jaw.
Sorry for the lame picture

Zoanthropes I recently finished. Bases and Neurothrope will be coming soon, hopefully!

He should make a Warhammer TV video where he paints the same scheme with all of his experience for comparison.

How do you get that cloudy effect with the purple?

Nice I think thats what ill go with, thanks.

Semen