Spell Names

How do you prefer you spell/move names, Veeky Forums?

1) Simple and descriptive
>Holy Power
>Magic Missile
>Fireball

2) (Less) Descriptive, but with dramatic flair
>Calling Upon Holy Power
>Purple Sun of Xereus
>Sea of Hungering Flames

3) Poetic/Dramatic, but without anything descriptive
>Caress of Laniph
>Reign of Anger
>Seven Seals of Xann

and what do you think of littering spell names with wizards'/gods'/whatever names?

Also cool spell name thread, I guess.

1 or 2

In my opinion, you should get at least a semi-clear picture on your head of what spell will do and/or look like, just from reading its name. Also, a title should roll off the tongue well.

Bump, also.
Hope this thread picks up a bit.
Homebrew spell in an old campaign: Form Ferrofluid.

>bumping after 2 minutes from last post

Your first time outside of /b/?

Like this.

the fancier the better

I agree. Bonus points if they sound particularly Chuuni.

What spell is that last one?

I like the gibberish spell names from The Dark Eye, like Ecliptifactus Shadow Force, Lightning Find You!, Sensattacco Masterstroke and Standfast Catlike.

Simple and descriptive on paper, more dramatic in practice.

Simple spells should be straight forward, while complex spells and rituals should be obtuse and nondescriptive. This can be a golden oppurtunity to worldbuild as certain names get thrown around.

It should vary from culture to culture.

depends quites a bit on the wizard doing it and the answers to the question of:
what spell, is he classically educated, who pioneered said spell, is it a classical spell (ie common), is it his own spell, who is asking, how old is he, is it a he, is this in writing or speech, what language is it in, etc.

The splashier, cooler, and harder to cast the spell is, the cooler the name should be.

Vague/unofficial, like something people don't have clear understandings of.

>Could you grow me a new arm? This one's rotting off.
>Teach me that thing with the frogs! I'd never need to glean again if only I knew that trick.
>Don't fuck with that one. He knows the coin's third face.

I just had an idea. How about a pregenerated flowchart using made up keywords (trywon, crohwer, etc) that only the DM knows about. Spell casting is done by stringing these keywords as an incantation. The DM then follows the flowchart to see what spell has been cast.

So the player could learn some of the combinations but also try to do random incantations. Doing it randomly might cause the caster to cast "burn my own genitalia" though.

I like invokers spell quotes from dota 2. Harlek's Incantation of Incineration!, or Gallaron's Abyssal Carnesphere! for sunstrike and meteor respectivly

I like where your head is at

Could do the same thing with runes and sigils, in particular order or formation for end-game rituals; the whole campaign is to rediscover the ancient spell to seal the great horned demon once again

holy shit, now I want to make a system out of that
hmmm, what about making players draw the runes by hand each time and then check for mistakes

>Draws a rune for missile
>Draws a rune for fire
>Accidentally leaves a tiny dot near fire rune
>Dot turns it into healing rune
>The wizard just healed the monster the party has almost killed

>draws rune for world
>draws rune for immortality
>fucks it up a smidge
>immortality is now death
>apocalypse now
fuckin wizards.

no sense of right or wrong!

Best naming system is in Shin Megami Tensei.

As an example;
Agi - Weak fire spell, single target
Agilao - Medium fire spell, single target
Agidyne - Heavy fire spell, single target
Maragi - Weak fire spell, multiple targets
Maragion - Medium fire spell, multiple targets
Maragidyne - Heavy fire spell, multiple targets
Trisagion - Severe fire spell, single target

So basically it uses one word for a fire spell, "Agi", then it puts more letters to it to describe the additional qualities of the spell.

Dramatic, always.

Favorite spell my players ever came up with was "Fizzlewick's Minor Locomotive Crank".

Unlocked simple locks.

so it's Final Fantasy spells, just in foreign language?
Fire-Fira-Firaga, stuff like that

Somewhat, just bit more universal. In final fantasy its not always clear if the spell is AoE or not, it depends on the game. But if in SMT you always know that Mazionga will deal medium electrical damage to all enemies.

Not even going to stuff like Shibaboo, Makarakarn or Tarunda. Basically I am just suggesting a specific names for spells and adding descriptive letters to them.

the difficult part is pronouncing those words with a straight face, isn't it?

Personally I have more trouble saying stuff like "Caress of Laniph" or "Seven Seals of Xann" or Purple Sun of Xereus" with a straight face. I feel this is the case especially for non-english speakers.

If I had to guess I'd say it's Flesh to Stone.

they do it well enough in the animes, and english in a japanese accent always does sound a little ridiculous.
>cut to the final battle
>boss's seals are down, the tank is on his last legs
>weab wizard prepares his ultimate spell
>"RORRING ROTUS FRAMES!"
>boss is overcome by laughter and dies.

I found the spell he used

is this a legitimate spell or a joke?

1 for the actual bookkeeping name, 3 for what they're called in the story. Different people may have different names for the same spell, or the names may differ by setting.

I prefer rules that are 1, but in character I prefer 2-3.

Sorceror: 1
Cleric: 2
Wizard: 3

I like them in Latin