What does the warhammer 40k crowd crowd think of the kroot...

What does the warhammer 40k crowd crowd think of the kroot? I've never played the game itself but I run one of these guys in a rogue trader game.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11677936
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/rogue-trader/products/tau-character-guide/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What does the warhammer 40k crowd crowd think of the kroot?
It's shit.
/thread

i've never seen fpbp apply even more

One of the most cost-efficient snipers harassers.

Everyone loves the kute. Avian shaminic carnivore mercs that become what they eat.
In the crunchy, they are cheap harassment, but otherwise aren't special.

I would have preferred to see Tau with more stuff like this instead of Muh Robots.

But the fucktard that wrote the Vespids did not get why people were not buying them so they went another route.

I think they're like 10x better tha the Tau theselves because they engage in glorious melee combat as every civilized race does.

An exemplar of why initial Tau fluff was good and interesting, and why 6/7E Tau fluff is garbage.

What do Kroot wear while doing stuff in space?

Presumably void-suits. Despite their primitive ways they had relatively advanced technology even before the Tau found them.

>not liking kroot

/v/ invader fagboys detected

Kroot and the other auxilliaries are the only interesting part of the Tau Empire

They have hi tech and access to complex stuff. They choose not to use it unless they have to in order to keep their people from going soft (like the tau)

I used to play Kroot Mercenaries.
Needless to say that I'm more than a little salty that any interest in auxiliaries was abandoned in favor of Muh Giant Robutts.

This. They should have expanded on the aliens, not shat on established lore.

Also the Tau don't like them having toys of their own

I think they're awesome and deserve to be expanded on more. In particular, I feel they're held back by being in the Tai codex, especially since they're explicitly stated as being only frequent mercenaries the Tau hire.

A Kroot Mercenaries codex would be great. Sadly, I'm guessing there isn't much of a demand for it.

I like their aesthetic but I hate that them eating things transforms them. I'd rather them just acquire some (not all) of the knowledge of prey they eat, which lets them 'transform' in a less literal fashion.

I'm Kroot

"I know! You I have told me who you are the on the ride here!"

>I'm Kroot.

"I swear if you said that one more time I'll..."

>I'm Kro...

"Ok that's it!"

>A Kroot Scientist
>A loudmouthed Demiurge bounty hunter
>A Human Pirate
>Whatever the fuck Drax and Ghamora are

They are: The Guardians of Tau Space

>A Kroot scientist
>Demiurge
>Human pirate
>Ogryn BONE'ead with Tau enhancements
>Eldar corsair

fund it

Kek, I want to see this so badly.

Insanely underutilised. the problem is that GW put the interesting alien auxiliaries in the same army as the mecha. People prefer mecha to birdmen, so 90% of tau sales are mecha. Auxiliaries become more difficult to find as gw make fewer, mechs become easier to find as production is increased, a vicious cycle emerges.
Nowadays tau barely have any units that aren't mecha. it's easy to run an army that is 100% mecha, while vehicles, air support and aux. become neglected.
I mean, I love full mecha tau, I just wish we had more options. Kroot really would work better as their own codex at this stage, and it would allow gw to re-introduce the discontinued FW models.

>Kroot really would work better as their own codex at this stage, and it would allow gw to re-introduce the discontinued FW models.

There would have to be a massive influx of new plastic. They are worse off, model-wise, than SoBs at this point. They have a single (really old) plastic troop kit and far less variety in their resin metal : ( models. Krootox, Kroothounds, Shaper. And that's everybody.

TL;DR: GW will never give you what you want

There are, of course, the sculpts of knarloc riders and the great knarlocs. There were also official rules released while ago allowing you to take an all-kroot army, letting you covert winged kroot as fast attack and the like,

>The Guardians of Tau Space
> Don't care/Pretend not to care about the Greater Good.
> End up saving the day anyway
> Ethereal thanks them for their works for the greater good no matter how self-serving they try to be

I'd forgotten that they existed

They lost an attack and a point of strength, for this they dropped a point. I remain mad to this day.

You have muhreens for brain eating knowledge.

This ability has been always way too weird and kirky for me. I'd rather forget they can do it along with the acid saliva thing.

I originally ran a kroot/pathfinder/stealthsuits list way back when tau could have a list with just a squad of xv8s.

Remember when tau fighting doctrine was about the combined assault. Using tanks, aircraft, artillary and infantry under one commander in contrast to the guard who spilt everything up. And they thought giant Titans where a really bad idea and just sent planes to blow them up from miles away? And how they encouraged other xenos to join and use there specific battlefield roles to fill gaps in there own?

>I'm salty, I liked tau before it was cool.

Is there a tau book among the 40k RPG?
I don't know much about 40k RPG.

>Kirky
I will never see classic Star Trek the same

Yes. There's at least one for Firewarriors. I believe it is in Rogue Trader.

I love the good ol' colonial tree jumping musket mohican aspect.

And they were responsible for the greatest victory ever achieved in warhammer 40k.

Kroot are badass.

Insane biology and great warriors, but getting c u c k e d by the Tau.

Kroot are a playable race in Rogue Trader. Check the "Into the Storm" supplement for them.

>Tau would never have big suits because they're inefficient and illogical

Fuck you for ruining them GW.

Still don't have a Kroot Bird

Nice glasscanon in the first codex, GW insistence in nerfing them and giving them shooty options instead of choppy ones didn't help the kroots.
Fluffwise, they're cool. They appear in the second Last Chancers book.

>/threading your own post

I was less thinking of playing a tau/kroot character and more playing in tau space/ship.
Like an tau exploration team or something.

It's okay user, We're all in there together.

Kroot would do best, I think, as a Forge World Tau Auxiliary/Alien Mercenary list. Bring back the old FW models, add some new ones for commanders and stuff, and add some new Vespid, some Demiurg, Tarrelians, Sarhaduin... it could be great, really.

up until a particular kindred have killed and eaten a star-whale or something and worked out how to make their next generation abel to survive unprotected in the void

Most based race

As many others have said, it is a real shame that auxiliaries are being forgotten in favour of gundam. We all like suits, but would love to have other viable options. Also, the Riptide is the biggest they should have gone. Fuck the Stormsurge.

Also, Make Hammerheads Great Again.

Agreed.

They need to be more kroot units in the tau codex. More auxiliaries in general.

I will never not chuckle at that photo.

What?

I wish they had better rules, because they cool, but they shit.

A tau player that beat a white scars army on turn one.

Just look up "tau vs white scars."

Will do. Thanks

>13 years old and what is this
>have small Tyranid army
>suddenly gee dubs drops the bomb on me
>they're coming out with an ENTIRELY NEW FACTION
>it's called Tau
>they're a random coalition of aliens working together to survive in a universe that no longer makes sense
>also jump suits (I had just read Starship Troopers around this time so it was the tightest shit)
>later they develop an entire list just for Kroot, go balls deep in it
>look forward to the other races in the Tau Empire and if they'll get their own lists
>think it's so neat and limitless design space
>years pass
>Kroot list discarded
>we hear you like Crisis Suits so we made a crisis suit tripled in size, a Crisis Suit jacuzzi missile launcher (quadrupled in size though so you know it's good), and Forge World has a really really extra large Crisis Suit
>drop 40k
It's reaching Star Wars EU levels of not getting the point of the original fluff.

Are you me?
All I wanted was Kroot. Originally I ran the tau commander and all kroot (with krootox)
Then white dwarf had that kroot only jam. It was a dream come true.

Fun fact:
The GW design studio couldn't make up their minds between making Kroot or Tau the new army. So they did both.

Tau should have been the 'Dogs of War' book of 40k. Alas it wasn't meant to be.

Is there anyway you could make a fantasy version of them? I love the looks and their entire carnivore evolution thing is pretty neat.

Beastmen that eat you?

They eat space suits and absorb space suit power

>original fluff
>tau realise how retarded gigagiant robots are, and instead use Mantas and Tigersharks retrofitted with twin railcannons to counter them.
>all that potential for alien mercs, kroot, vespid, nicassar, guevesa, tarellian dog soldiers, Galg, Demiurg...

>newfluff
>BIGGGGERRRR!
>no mercs, Tau only, final destination

Well they did succeed on that groundbreaking nova reactor which is essentially miniaturized starship reactor that can be fitted on a battsuit. With that kind of tech revolutio things usually get bit crazy. Lorewise ripitde was ok in my books but stormsurge should have been a tank or something. Then again tau was most well known for their suits so it's kind of logical to expand on that theme.
Besides with all the genestealer cults and deathwatch and admech getting models and codicies it's pretty much given that kroots will get theirs someday. You can quote me on this.

>lore reasons tau can now can have giant battlesuits
I guess I miss the days when tau were air cavalry and mercs
i want to believe, but I can't until i see the physical proof of plastic sisters in real life.

Background has always hyped them as deadly melee fighters, but the recent Codexes reduced their melee prowess to the equal of guardsmen for some reason

But you can make them all snipers and buff them with markerlights, so that can be alright

Alright, since it's the first time I've seen people discuss the exoarmor inflation, I made a strawpoll to see what Veeky Forums thinks on the matter.
Taufags, assemble.

strawpoll.me/11677936

SHAPER SAY, WE OBEY

I like kroot but i dont like Tau.
I want them to have their own codex again but i dont think thats happening. If you aint Human you aint getting anything these days.

Pretty sure kroot were a concept they had floating around that they shoe-horned into tau because they liked it and wanted to use it. I certainly read the word "kroot" thrown around before they were an army. Probably in WD.

Unfortunately, kroot are one of those 40k things that would be awesome if 40k were more of an RPG, but don't have much of a place in the tabletop game of marines vs. marines.

Also, they are hurt by being associated with tau.

>strawpoll.me/11677936
see, i don't mind SOME giant robots, chicks dig 'em.
but it's gotten to the point where all the attention is just on them. and all the old neat concepts were never really expanded upon properly.

they were present in a sketch in the 3rd edition rulebook, as well as a necron and others.

Clawed fiend Codex when?

The Riptide is too big, the Broadside should be the biggest.

Hammerheads should be their heavy front line combat vehicle.

They're not gonna get their own codex, but already made an official appearance.

I'd say the same thing Orks wear, but I'm not sure you can even find confirmation of what that is unless you go back to artwork from over 20 years ago (if you do, yeah, it's suits).

In fairness, despite the devs' attempts to sell them as a CC unit, that wasn't supposed to be why the Tau valued them. According to some fluff at least.

We they decided to make the tau codex, they threw a lot of ideas around. The two biggest were the tau and the kroot, that finally merged into a single codex.

Krootlivesmatter

Maddest of respect to that fucker for out cheesing a cheese merchant

>cheese merchant
Never heard anybody say that about a White Scars bike army before.

>holding your entire army in reserve
>not cheese
If that doesn't make him a cheese merchant I don't know what would.

Oh okay, that didn't register with me.

The greatest victories are won without a battle

*googles*
So, basically, the White Scars player kept his entire army in reserve, and since this was a tournament where special characters weren't allowed, he wasn't able to Outflank his opponent. So, his opponent decided to use his Infiltrators to line up along the enemy table edge and stop any of his opponent's troops from entering the battlefield.

This also happened five+ years and, what, two editions ago? I think the rules have been patched since then so that if you keep your entire army in reserve at the beginning of the game, you just lose instantly regardless because you don't have any models on the table.

The Riptide is the perfect size, with its big base, to make a detailed scene at its feet. Game wise it's great as distraction carnifex. I do think they should be limited to 1 per 1500 points or something like that, but not remove them altogether.

What is the point you are trying to make? That man was the hero of his Age.

Like this?
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/rogue-trader/products/tau-character-guide/

>Tfw Dark Eldar have more alien auxiliaries than Tau.

Look like it is exactly that. Thank user.

Eh, I like their rotary guns and their "Light plasma"

yeah but they're almost entirely one-offs rather than entire units.

Kroot are wonderful.
They are a dangerous, but not particularly malevolent alien race. They neatly show why the Imperium is so terrified of the cosmos, and why it's full of shit.

>them poll results
thanks giving me hope Veeky Forums

i think the kr00t are br00t ha

I kinda wish we had a "Tau fringes" sector description. Well, guess I will have to make it up entirely myself then.
I would go for less "ancient evil dormant in death world" and more for exploring uncharted luxuriant world with way too much life on it.

The Problem there, and indeed the problem with early Tau, is that they were basically the same as Imperial guard in playstyle.

Hammerheads functioned basically like the bastard lovechild of a Falcon Grav tank and a Leman Russ.

And the irony there is early Tau where outshot by Guard dramatically.

The Mecha make Tau different to the Imperial guard, as much as people dislike it.

>The Mecha make Tau different to the Imperial guard, as much as people dislike it.
Eh, could have been an easy fix.
Anyway Tau are gunline, but not horde.

That said using differen auxiliaries to spice the dex up would have been a much better choice to differentiate them instead of doing the same thing over and over again. The suits are by far the least interesting the thing about the Tau from a background and in-universe perspective.

Breachers, Riptides, Coldstars, and Stormsurges could easily have all been auxiliaries instead of suits/tau, and had exactly the same stat-blocks and mechancially-identical special rules, and been just fine.

>is that they were basically the same as Imperial guard in playstyle.
Meh, I played a drones and exoarmors oriented list in 3rd edition. Never had that issue.

Having suits, drones, auxillaries and markerlights/other tech would still make them different enough to IG, they would also look pretty different.

The Riptide was unnecessary.

I wouldn't have minded the Tarellian replacing the Breachers.

can regular firewarriors still use pulse carbines, or is it breachers exclusive now?

Breachers can only use blasters. Strikers use rifles use carbines.

Breachers don't use Pulse Carbines at all. Regular Fire Warriors are now called Strikers, and other than being able to take a guardian drone, drone turret are more or less the same as they have been: choice between rifle and carbine.

Breachers have the pulse-blaster, which is some sort of atomizing shotgun.

Back in 3e they were pretty cool. Kroot mercenaries were a fun list to play.