EDH/Commander General

Deck Archetypes that Need More Colors Edition

Old Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-let-it-burn/update/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>inb4 muh urza card when

>deck archetypes that need more colors

Self -exile needs more love

Considering exile is sacrosanct and Wizards will never mess with it it should be on better effects than R exile TEN to shock.

Indeed, because after all we don't want to get to yugioh levels of bullshit where the exile is your third hand.

If only, long gone are the times of even getting to use exile as a second hand in YGO. Closest to that nowadays is a Pot of Greed that has a exile ten cards face-down from the top of the deck as an extra cost.

first for zada

Calling bullshit. Elemental dragons were the only banish archetype to get significantly hit by the ban list and thats made up by pendulums having a second graveyard.

They were the last deck to use banish zone because back then Return from the Different Dimension was still at 1. After that they pulled all exile interacting good cards.

And that was a good two years or three ago if I'm not wrong. Though we have Psy-Frame Omega and Shiranuis that are playable to some extent nowadays.

Is Queen Marchesa really a rattlesnake? Won't people be tempted to steal monarch with a small evader to get a card draw and then give it up when an assassin comes attacking?

>tfw forgot my elesh norn at my LGS

fuck. I mean there is a chance that I will get her back since we are a pretty small playgroup full of regulars and everyone knows that it's mine but still.

Any of you ever lost something?

I'm a relatively casual player who mostly plays at his LGS. There's a good mix of player types and personalities there, but there are a few really obnoxiously spikey and competitive players that show up. There's nothing wrong with being a spike or competitive, I have fun playing with plenty of players that are, but these guys are pretty awful. They'll go on and on about how "cute" a janky deck that goes off is, in a really derisive way, they get embarrassingly angry when they misplay or are even outplayed and openly talk about how they can't believe they're loosing to inferior players, and then proceed to mop the floor with them anyway.

Of course, these guys play super expensive, over the top tryhard decks. Animar, Leovold, Narset, Meren, the works. And they've got all the shiny toys, original duals, Mana Crypt, Crucible of worlds, The Mirrodin swords, Jitte, etc.

Something I've noticed is that they get super tilted whenever someone breaks their toys. I got an early Aura Shards out and could only target a Sol Ring (Kaladesh version of course), so I did. I swear, dude nearly packed up. He was so damn mad.

So my question is this: Is there a way to create an effective Wallet Hate deck? I just want to break as many of their precious toys as possible. Winning is nice, but I'm really just looking to troll these guys and see how much money I can put in their graveyard. I don't want to be too disruptive to the people at the table that I do like. I mean obviously I want to win, but not at the expense of the fun of people who don't suck, so I kinda want to avoid symmetrically oppression like JAAIV or Stax, but at this point I'll try whatever.

I just want to say again that I have no problem with competitive, spikey players in general, these kids just have really rotten attitudes and it's funny to watch them embarrass themselves by getting really tilted.

Pic mostly unrelated, but has fun flavor text.

Why is MTG Info's "Did You Mean" function so god fucking awful?

Any good artifact tribal type decks? I live being an artificer but I don't want to play combo wombo like everyone. Someone recommended golems but what commander should I use?

>exile is sacrosanct
Well, it was until Battle For Zendikar, anyway.
BFZ as a whole has to be the worst designed set Wizards has released since... fucking Homelands, probably. Fucking Devoid, too, that was garbage. Such a massive disappointment.

Make Ruric Thar Primal Surge with all creatures with the exception of a few fuck you cards like Omen Machine, Possibility Storm, Asceticism, and Lurking Predators.

She herself is a deathtoucher and she spits out more of them when you're not the monarch so yes, I'd call her a rattlesnake. If they happen to have a small evader to grab monarch, sure, they can draw more resources to attack the other players, which is sort of the point of the deck user was asking about.

Are there any commanders that just straight up buff artifacts? Not as far as I remember. But there's nothing saying you can't take a commander that's typically played as a combo engine and just make a more straight forward deck with them. I'd check out Sydri or Memnarch.

The problem you are going to face is that expensive cards are expensive becauase they are high reward and low risk. In short, hating out a few of their cards still leaves behind the other 60 one-card wincons in their deck.

It's not enough to just inconvenience them, you need to be doing something proactive while they stumble.

Another unfortunate problem is that hate cards against expensive decks often punish budget decks worse because budget decks are going to inherently generate fewer resources to work with.

Isn't Blind Seer Urza?

>leaving a waifu behind.
What's it like being a degenerate?

if you really want to make a tryhard playing expensive cards mad, build a deck that uses tons of steal effects. there are a few options for this archetype, like memnarch, old marchesa, generic izzet spellslinging, but i have no idea what is the most viable for it.

point is, they have to give away their 300 dollar cards for you to handle with your greasy fingers, which is going to make them very upset

you could also play something like edric and just counterspell literally everything they do for the entire game

>Started playing MTG during the Mirrodin block
>First pack I opened I pulled a sword of fire and ice
>went back 10 minutes later
>never seen again
>mfw

The only one I know is Jor kadeen, who I used in my myr tribal.

Unfortunately myr lack an actual wincon so the deck was more "artifact goodstuff with myr stapled on"

So I'm thinking Reaper King is the way I'll go for Timesifter.dec. So far the combo looks like Timesifter + Command Beacon + Crucible of Worlds with some way to manipulate the top card to put my expensive commander on top if my library every turn and take all the turns. Isochron Scepter with a Brainstorm on it, Scroll Rack, and Jace the Mind Sculptor seem like the easiest ways to manipulate the top card, but if anybody else can think of any other repeatable ways to put a card from your hand on top, as much redundancy as possible would be nice. Having Reaper King as the commander also let's me run Bringer of the Black and White Dawns for tutoring and artifact recovery. Besides all the tutors and some other really high CMC cards to put on top, any other suggestions?

And no, I don't expect this to be good, but it will be really funny if it ever goes off. Maybe just build it grouphug style and have this as my ridiculous ridiculous win condition?

How do you forget cards at the shop? Were you drunk?

I was in a rush to get my drive home early and thought I packed everything in. Turns out I didn't and probably left her lying on the table while everyone else was focused on their game. That or I didn't search my pockets well enough.

See:
I usually always double check if I have anything but today is just not my day.

related to this, do EDH spikes know that no one likes them? it seems like 90% of the people who play EDH are cool dudes who just want to have fun and want others to have fun as well, but then that last 10% of people just absolutely NEEDS to win every game and doesn't care that they have to play the same tutor solitaire for it every time.

they are almost always assholes too. it's always either condescension or general passive aggressiveness. they unironically act like kaiba in yugioh or something

Maybe more specifically what he was askinf, and the hat I'm confused about, is how you left just her somehow. Was she in a deck? Did you take her out to show everyone your wife and then forget to put her back wherever she was? How would that one card get left? And what kind of degenerate puts cards in their pockets for storage?

*if I have everything, I'm begining to think that I'm drunk.

went back where

where were you

was this in an lgs? did you go to the bathroom? did you leave your cards lying around on a table in a public place? the fuck are you trying to say senpai

Just wait for them outside the store one night and rob them at gun point, or play that one blue nigger who steals shit

I like the idea in theory, but again, that's pretty symmetrical. Still, worth considering. Thanks.

Yeah, these are exactly the problems I'm running into. The last one I'm especially concerned about, because I want to try to avoid punishing the other people at the table. I'm not the weakest or most casual player there, by any means, and I'd like to try to preserve their fun.

Now this is something I'd never considered as I tend to avoid blue, where most of the thievery shit is. I'm totally behind this idea though and I like the way you think. So tell me, what's your dorito fingerprint secret tech?

>stop having the wrong type of fun

Pockets, deck boxes, you know what I meant. I had her in a extra pile which I put in a extra deck box. Was showing that pile to someone else, then showed her to someone again and I still remember having her after that. Then I notice I have only five more minutes left to get to the bus station, pack up and leave without looking back. My mistake. I think theft is unlikely because there were more valueable cards in the pile and we are only seven regulars that show up to play every week so I kind of trust the people there.

Never lost anything but during the Avacyn Restored prerelease I was talking deckbuilding with a kid there he ended up leaving before the tournament was over. I found his Treva the Renewer sitting on the table, and I haven't seen him at the store since. Maybe one day I'll be able to give it back to him.

it is unironically and quite objectively the wrong type of fun if everyone else is having a bad time because of you

it's fine if you play spike edh with other broken brained edh spikes, but don't bring that shit to a casual table and act all enlightened by your ability to beat vampire tribals with your win-turn-2 animar combo deck

You sound pretty autistic honestly. I bet you try and ban stuff in your play group without even trying to figure out how to beat it too

not the alibaba user but spike detected

Not even a spike. I just do not think I am better than someone who likes because I refuse to use whatever tools are available to me especially when playing at a LGS

>thatsthejoke.bmp

I can understand both points of view but here is the problem
>to build the anti-spike/wallet warrior deck you lose the ability to deal with the majority of edh decks
The main problem is spikes taking 20 minute turns playing solitaire spoiling the game for everyone else. We had a guy in our local game store group who we unilaterally told him tone it down a bit or dont expect to play because all his decks but one involve turn two or three combos. also
>EDH
>Hyper Competitive
Choose one

Then don't play at an LGS that is open to anyone you actual autist. Find a play group thats nothing but casuals.

Kind of the opposite of autistic actually. The spikes who ignore the social contract are the autists and the casuals who complain about the power differential are the normalfags.

Thats the problem, if you buiild a "fun deck" aka jellyfish tribal you end up as potato. If you build a competitive deck everyone bands against you.

I'm kind of new to the format but I think I will just build grouphug decks that do not care about winning and are fun for everyone. If I want to win I just play modern or legacy.

>putting cards in pockets

What the fuck is wrong with you?

>So tell me, what's your dorito fingerprint secret tech?

memnarch is probably very good, but he comes with a dose of artifact autism and he also draws a shitload of hate. but he can steal any permanent instead of just creatures. sadly, by showing him in your command zone people are going to know you intend to steal shit, and that's bad. in my opinion, it's better that the steal effects come out of nowhere (ie. your hand, not the battlefield) so these mega spikes will just play right into your stealing.

in my experience old marchesa is incredibly janky so i wouldn't recommend him.

you could also do mizzix with a focus on threaten effects and stuff like bazaar trader and conjurer's closet to let you keep the creatures for good. mizzix would let you cast those expensive spells like blatant thievery and bribery for extra cheap. could work very well and could be fun.

i have no idea if it would work, here's another fun idea: azorius enchantments. put in all the mind control style enchantments, then put in tons of enchantment synergy. you can also flicker, copy and recur your enchantments with azorius colors to get extra value out of them.

the main problem with all steal decks is that stealing stuff generally doesn't really help you win, so you do need to think of some wincon stuff to put in or just deal with the fact that you probably won't win much

Only once during a conspiracy draft. Drafted gratuitous violence and I have no idea where it disappeared to. I had a close call during a kaladesh prerelease where I thought I lost my red card pool but I was dumb and just slapped it inside the box in a really small pocket. Happened again this last Saturday where I thought I lost cards for a deck because my opponent had the same sleeves as me.

Also back when I played scars and Innistrad standard I played a white blue deck and I have no idea where half of that deck is today. I still have the money cards from it though

Fellow EDH Players, a few questions:

-What kind of EDH formats do you play?
(Usurper, Emperor, Star Magic, Horde, Planeschase, Standard Multiplayer FFA, Other)

-If it's a team format, what 'role' or deck do you bring to the team? (Control, Aggro, Combo)

-How would you encourage a FNM Standard or Modern player to get into EDH?

-What is the worst color combination for an EDH commander? (Worst as in will not win games, not on its difficulty to play against)
How would you fix it to make it more competitive?

Me:
-I play Horde Magic mostly, Usurper and Planeschase are next most played.
-When I do team games, I usually try to control with Roon if the other players are super competitive, or combo with Experiment Kraj if they are casual.
-I'd say that EDH is a fun format to take old Standard decks and try to breathe new life into them. I turned an old Astral Slide deck into a prototype for Roon, gave me the feels for a more simple time.
-Boros is pretty limited in its use: Turn Sideways or Land Hate. They should do something like Searing Meditation on a commander to encourage more variety. Also, something for dealing damage whenever damage is prevented by an instant or sorcery you control. There's plenty of "must attack if able" effects in Red plus direct damage spells, why not make a commander who is basically a Deflecting Palm on a body?

As always, it depends on the LGS and who the odd-man-out is. If it's a spikey meta, the casual would do well to find another one. If it's majority casual, the spike shouldn't sulk and whine that there are social repercussions for ignoring the social contract.

Guess what, that gets a similar amount of hate because you're dragging out the game and/or trying to claim a "victory" by kingmaking.

english isn't my first language, I spazzed out, sorry. Meant deck box. I had her in a box with some other cards, a friend of mine looked at her, put her back on the table and apparently I left her there, fuck.

lmao

you are so oblivious of your own autism

>Find a play group thats nothing but casuals.

that's literally what everyone did. you're the one walking into the group with a deck that doesn't match the rest of the table at all. if you're the only one playing a spikey deck then you need to fix your shit, not the fucking table. once again, don't play spikey shit with casuals, and don't play casual shit with spikes. it shouldn't be hard to understand that.

there was a person in this general a while ago who kept saying the exact same shit as you. i wonder if you're the same person as him or if you autists are multiplying now

>why do i need to sacrifice my own fun for the group

because that's what happens when you play a multiplayer game with other human beings, you self-absorbed can't-read-faces mega dumbo

Everyone in my playgroup loves when i play Gahiji. No one gets mad at group hug for kingmaking when you're not kingmaking, and just group hugging because they are two completely different deck archetypes that people use the same word for even though they shouldn't

gahiji doesn't really even qualify as group hug, he's more like "hey guys let me distract you with these free tokens. oh hey, i can now kill the entire table, thanks for forgetting about me"

To prevent self mill? Why?

I don't see why you need this when you can just use Goblin Bombardment

>What kind of EDH formats do you play?
Emperor, secret teams, pentagram ffa, 2hg, and horde

>If it's a team format, what 'role' or deck do you bring to the team?
All playstyles

>How would you encourage a FNM Standard or Modern player to get into EDH?
Never

>What is the worst color combination for an EDH commander?
There is no worst color combination. I've stopped combo decks with a pyroblast and won when red is the "weakest" color in commander and on the other hand I've gotten rolled by jund while playing control. It just matters what you draw as long as you constructed the deck well.

can confirm, this is how my Gahiji wins everytime

Ruination

Why does literally everything feel the need to reference dune?

Is pseudo stax the only way to build a decent Meren deck?

oh this reminds me: hand-hate is pretty cheap in edh and works against high tier decks pretty well. expensive cards don't do much good for you if you don't have them.

black has pretty good options for it, like sadistic hypnotist, mind slicer, myojin, flipwalker liliana and so on. but this archetype is typically group slug stax and it hits everyone so it may not be that laser-accurate wallet hate. it also doesn't work as well against graveyard deck that well so keep that in mind

There are many ways to build a Meren deck.

Build Mazirek with the same goodstuff if you think Meren's too powerful.

>breed lethality is $45+ online
any chance my LGS will still sell it for $35? are any of the cards in it standard legal?

Circuit, dimir lobotomist is fun. You self exile to card filter, and lantern lock your opponents out if the game

I mean...yes...
He's still group hug for the most part though. Free tokens and lands is pretty huggy, he just don't take no shit for 2nd

Mine sold it to me 35€ so go for it.

What the other guys have said; the salt will flow if you'll steal their stuff. Preator's grasp can be quite fun in your situation. Aura shards is also really neat. Ruination is just a great card in general. Go nuts and post results!

Yeah, my playgroup is not very competitive, but not completely casual. So I didn't know if just a Meren with goodstuff and sac tools would be decent. Also, I am not really a fan of stax.

Go to a big box store like a walmart or something. I dont even know why stores charge more than msrp knowing they'll always be undercut.

There's so many different ways to synergize BG and Meren, the best advice I can give you is to make what you feel will work. And then build up or down from there.

Uh, that sounds exactly like group hug to me.

POST EM

well, i see true group hug as something that forgoes any real wincon stuff and only wins incidentally against a very much weakened final opponent. gahiji isn't really group hug because he does actively try to win, he just tends to help others while he's at it

No, group hug is "hey guys let me distract you with these free everything. oh hey, you guys can now kill me and everyone else, thanks for letting me drag out the game"

I disagree
But it's not a big deal user-chan
In the real world no one cares what either of us call group hug--a deck is just a deck and how people think of it doesn't change based on our definition of what the deck is :')

Tonight the streets are red, the lights are blue and blinding.

Realm Razer + Oblivion Sower
:^)

What's the term for decks that run lots of donations and politicking effects but still intend to win, then?

But the description of the c16 grouphug deck is specifically that gives out free stuff and uses the stuff to make haymakers. You are objectively wrong.

>Most people play 3-4 player FFA.
>you convert Standard and Modern players by exposing them to the alien concept of "fun"
>Boros is shit

>play the grouphug precon today
>oath of druids + forbidden orchard in play
>round passes
>oath triggers for me
>hushwing griff
>round passes again
>get another oath trigger
>get the prevent combat damage guy
>fast forward finally draw archon and get to cast it
>gets destroyed one round later

I..I still had fun tho. What are some good finishers to put into this deck? Avacyn, angel of hope? Tempt with discovery + dark depths + thespian stage?

No sign of the "Good Doctor"

I would play clone effects like a mother fucker

i'd just call that a "political deck". i don't think politics and group hug are the same. something like gwafa hazid politics.dek will make deals with other players to get pressure off himself so that he can win later. this deck will protect itself by being controlly

uncle phel group hug.dek will just give everyone free stuff and will be such a non-threat that he will survive simply based on that.

but that's just my opinion.

> Misinterpreting official content to support a preconceived definition rather than the common definition.

Hey, that reminds me of the card advantage guy.

(This is a joke. The insert explains how to play group jug legitimately. Im not looking for (you) s)

The fire rises

BANE???

4U

I'm sad old marchesa has red. She would have been so degenerate in atraxa.

Finally found what deck I'm gonna make next.

It's gonna be bad, janky as hell, but I'm gonna go for Spirit Tribal reanimator.

I'm gonna be building Rakdos to fuck over a similar situation in my group. Dealing with the same Yisan player doing the exact same wincon (Untapping Yisan a bunch each turn to play Craterhoof Beast by turn six) five times in one night was enough for me.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-let-it-burn/update/

is that urza ?

I had thought about doing the same with the BG version of it, but Veeky Forums talked me out of it. probably for the best.

Spirit tribal sucks badly, but if you can make it work, good for you, have fun! I doubt my meta would allow for such janky fun decks.

Get rekt nerd lmao