Arms & Armor

>I want warhammers edition

Post historical arms and armor, and discuss various details and their relation to tabletop!

There that should help the fancy axe situation too.

Welp, I'll never need to search for warhammers ever again.

I can scan some cataloug I bought this year, given that the thread survives until tomorrow.

So is a larger blade better for "soft" targets and a smaller blade better for "hard" targets?

I'm trying to think of the logistical value of different axe heads.

I know you guys are posting hammers and all, but does anyone have a picture of a two-handed kriegsmesser?
ty

Has anything else like this bronze age Scandinavian scimitar ever been found up north or is it just a weird one-off?

Hopefully this thread'll stay alive for tomorrow morning

>his paladin doesn't smite the wretched with a hammer

Explain yourself.

> warhammer = can opener

IT'S NOT A COMPETITION SVEN.

I need more bascinets

>I'm trying to think of the logistical value of different axe heads.

Money. Also larger heads are more showy, so you can use them as standards more easily.

Are they even as effective as people make them out to be?

Well they can give you a pretty good concussion and make dents in the plate or helmets, same as a mace, or in the best case pierce it with the pike

These warhammers, which end do you strike with?
I bet the answer is BOTH user, DEPENDING ON HOW YOU NEED TO MURDER THEM

That would probably tend to be the case, yes. Though with we have a demi-basket making sure you hold it with the pick side forward.

That looks more like a pole-arm head than a schmitar.

Bestinet.

Burgonets and demi-armors I

Burgonets and demi-armors II

III

IV

VI

VII

Is demi-armour another way of saying 3-quarters coverage, sans below the knee?

Oh hey, a Navaja! Traditional knife of my people, suitable for stabbing, shanking and shiving! Thought to be originated from the medieval razor, with the tip ground into a clipped point, since Gypsies were forbidden from carrying weapons in some townships.

Pic is an unmodified razor

Damn, that's gorgeous. Is it a period piece, or a modern one?

I love the elephant hunter's detail on this one.

>AUG knight

I was 100% sure navaja just meant knife (this kind of stabby knife) in spanish.

>since Gypsies were forbidden from carrying weapons in some townships
>Traditional knife of my people
I knew there was a reason I hated you

Anyone got any grille-faced bascinets? I saw a really stylish engraving of one in a textbook a few years back, but can't find it now.

>since Gypsies were forbidden from carrying weapons in some townships.
There was good reason for that.

underrated

So, let me ask. I have this huge guy (8 feet tall) that fights all sort of monsters: ranging from humanoids enemies to 25 feet tall behemoths with hard exoskeleton.

What's a good weapon for him to carry? I was thinking on him carrying a heavy zweihander that can double as a hammer with mordhau, a crossbow, a shortsword as a sidearm with smaller enemies and a dagger. Is that set up versatile enough?

What about a spetum, ranseur, something with a little more range than his quillons?

I considered them as well, but for some reason I got the feeling that his ranseur broke after some battles and he was unable to replace it. He does prefer carrying a spear whenever he can, but his fighting style is pretty rough on his weapons: He's used to scrap weapons during a fight because he can pick up the weapon of the dead guy beside him that died during the skirmish.

Live, damn you!

This is terrifying. I like it.

A one-handed war hammer was something you'd use on horseback, since knights and men at arms fighting on foot would be using the two-handed version, the pollaxe.

On horseback, you use the hammer side for heavy downward blows against peoples helmets and stuff like that, since the pick side of the one-handed versions would not be guaranteed to pierce a helmet, which was the thickest piece of armour worn. In addition, using the spike when you're on horseback is a great way of getting your hammer stuck and losing it. Against less armoured opponents the spike works wonders and is "more lethal" than the hammer side. You can run off or keep fighting with a broken rib or arm, not so much with a finger deep hole gushing blood.

The real strength of the rear spike is in hooking and controlling your opponent, which is why many historical examples have a much stronger curve on the spike than the angle of the blow would require. This is particularly pronounced in a lot of eastern European and middle eastern examples where it sometimes looks like a combination between hammer and shepherds crook. Good for pulling other riders off horses.

The examples of one-handed war hammers that have a top spike are generally western in origin, which makes sense since western europe saw the most use of plate armour and techniques like half-swording and equipment like rondel daggers. The top spike is something you use in really, really close quarters with both hands on the weapon, one close to the head, to jab it in peoples visors and stuff like that.

The helmet and breastplate were the thickest pieces of armour worn, getting a clean penetration with a one-handed weapon is very unlikely. Denting it significantly or immobilizing armour through buckling joints and visors etc was possible though.

The two-handed versions on the other hand (pollaxe) did put a lot of holes in armour, as we know from accounts of tournament fights and challenges between knights.

example of one handed warhammer against breastplate

Still nasty. And it looks like the zone around the hole is deformed too right ?

yep but no real damage, it still didn't touched the padding underneath it.
On the second pic you can see other dents too as not all the hits went through

True, but now I'm imagining this kind of shot landing in the head or the neck and the kind of trauma it must inflict