>>50285024

>are actually zero-g thrusters and not heat vents.
I was under the impression they were both? It's exhaust vents, and that exhaust has the dual purpose of being able to allow them to move in zero-g.

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2016/11/16/rites-of-initiation-the-making-of-a-space-marine/
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chaos_Android
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Errant armour has been around for thousands of years, but rarely seen in the 41st Millennium. Why might that be, we wonder…?

The fuck does that mean?

the exhausts are the lower vents

the nozzles up top are stabilizers

Fun fact: the extended vents on chaos backpacks used to be flight packs (the companion to jump packs). You can see the standard stabilizer vents on older versions.

>Turns out those nozzles on the end of each side of the power pack are actually zero-g thrusters

Yes, thats been the case since forever.

The vents are the things on the lower sides of the power pack though there's no reason for the upper vents to also use excess heat to propel the marine in zero-g.

and them in action

warhammer-community.com/2016/11/16/rites-of-initiation-the-making-of-a-space-marine/

guess this is their new website

>We made this better armour, but didn't want to lose sales because it looked slightly different?

Deathwatch gets first dibs

Index Astartes says Plague Marines got MkIV with MkIII helmets.

Also, some of the Collected Heresy art seems to depict them in MkIV (judging by the cabling and square knee pads).

it's almost like those marines were made to fight in space, like some kinda space rangers.

I want more mk8 marines with integrated power fists god damn it. Fuck off GW.

Well, Plague Marines aren't unique to the Death Guard. They're a common enough form of Nurgles servant, though the Death Guard are the most well-known and have the greatest number of them. It's possible they've either stolen that armor or they took it with them when they fell.

>Plague Marines aren't unique to the Death Guard

The only other legion that has them is Black Legion and only because they left Death Guard to join Black Legion.

>Indeed, most Space Marine models of the time featured a winged skull or gem. The aquila only came into regular use in 1997 when the all-plastic Tactical Squad boxed set was released. The winged skulls stayed around, but, according to design legend, all the gemstones were stolen by the Eldar.
> but, according to design legend, all the gemstones were stolen by the Eldar.

God damn Eldar!

>warhammer-community.com
You have to go home tumblr.

Well, was more referring to the official plague marine models. I've spent ages trying to figure out what their equipment is, especially the helmet.

Isnt Astartes power armor the one field of technology where the designs got better instead of worse?

Depends on what metric. It's the same old AR vs. AK type of argument.

MkII was designed as THE power armour to take humanity into the stars (once again). MkIII was devised not as a replacement, but as a sort of "It's dangerous to go without cover. Take this." addition to the arsenal. In time, with new technologies and needs, the MkIV was designed as a new THE power armour to equip legions with. It sacrificed some comfort for way easier to maintain and manufacture design and had all the new bells and whistles. MkV was a wartime creation mostly to fill the ranks and have something to give to the troops, utilizing the simpler manufacturing of the MkIV with older materials and technology factories were more accustomed to.

MkVI took the lessons learned and designed a new suit that focused on easy manufacturing and maintenance. While it had advanced systems, it could be repaired and run on less sophisticated systems. It was also made much more modular, making repairs easier. The desing of the suit was still under way when Mars was overrun and it wasn't until the MkVII that this design philosophy was brought to its conclusion.

In essence the MkVI and MkVII are the suit created by the lessons learned from the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy and sort of does everything it needs to well enough. But if you want suits for particular functions, better to look at other marks.

I wonder if the GK suits are based on the MkVI. They got the greaves, but what got me thinking is that the Knight Errant wore MkVI, which at the time was the latest power armour mark fresh off the assembly lines and Malcador gave it to his agents, who wore them in grey ceramite. I could see them taking this armour mark with modification for the GK when they were created. What I don't understand is why their terminators got Indomitus design to them, instead of Tartaros, which was more advanced. Well, other than Tartaros being FW's OC donut steel suit and everyone wearing Indomitus in 40k.

mk8 doesn't have integrated power fists

source: there's a fucking mk8 in every tac box

fluff wise the VI is the latest the GK could have had access to when they originally went into seclusion, and when they emerged it's likely they already had their own Chapter-specific patterns of armor (as the legions that preceded them had done), which would explain similarities with the mkVI, but also with other previous marks, which you would expect them to take worthwhile design aspects from, and also explaining the admixing of design aspects between terminator and power armors

there's no difference in rules for tartaros so the assumption should be that it's more resource-intensive to construct for no particular benefit, and fewer examples exist because fewer were originally made (for the same reason)

>there's no difference in rules for tartaros

Tartaros can Sweep. At least in 30k. 40k rules have not been updated (yet).

Pretty sure the mk7 is better than everything except the mk3 in frontal armor. Then the mk8 rolled in and you have an armor that is better than all the other marks in every category but is still rare. Makes sense to me.

So, mk7 was present during HH?

>Fun fact: the extended vents on chaos backpacks used to be flight packs

Actually regular Marine backpacks were flight packs, Chaos Marine's had enhanced ones.

Yes, only during the Siege of Terra though.

WTF I HATE 40K NOW

The "beakie corvus whatever you wanna call it" design is still the best.

>Pretty sure the mk7 is better than everything except the mk3 in frontal armor. Then the mk8 rolled in and you have an armor that is better than all the other marks in every category

[citation needed]

Guess it's more obvious on the older models, blatantly obvious on the Space Crusade models.

It's been the case since Rogue Trader.

>look up space crusade art
What the fuck are those things on the right.

Judging by the art, possibly Necrons? Though the one looking at the camera looks like it's terrified beyond belief.

Chaos Androids.

Spooky skeletons.

Quick Veeky Forums, what's your favorite power armor design?

I like the Maximus the best personally. It's got the coolest looking helmet by far.

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chaos_Android

Definitely some sort of proto-necron. Though they are listed as androids.

>The RTB01 models were meant to have boots like the first Imperial Space Marine, but the injection moulding technology of the late 1980s made it impossible. Instead, they were redesigned with flared greaves, a design that’s been synonymous with Space Marine power armour ever since.

I knew the way legs look is fucking stupid!

the provisional rules let them sweep, but i don't think those made it into the book

>Turns out those nozzles on the end of each side of the power pack are actually zero-g thrusters and not heat vents

They always have been. For one thing it makes negative sense to vent hot air downwards unless you specifically want to send it that way.

Maybe once BoP gets individual kits.

Not that user, but according to the 7e Limited Edition datacards, the Mk. 8 has "The most advanced ballistic augurs yet devised", and is better armored than Mk. 7.
Thinking it's the best is not an unreasonable assumption.

>but i don't think those made it into the book

They are on the latest Age of Darkness army list

>Tartarus Pattern Terminator Armour: This was an advanced pattern of Terminator armour developed late on during the Great Crusade in parallel with the Maximus pattern power armour, and was considered a technological masterwork. Tartarus armour is more streamlined and power efficient than its predecessors, making it more agile and providing short bursts of extra speed when needed, but was also more difficult and resource intensive to manufacture. Regardless of this, it had become one of the most widely circulated patterns issued in the decades before the outbreak of the Heresy.

>In addition to the effects and rules listed previously for Terminator armour, models in Tartarus armour may make Sweeping Advances in combat unlike other patterns of Terminator armour. If a model with Tartarus pattern armour is joined by a character equipped with a different pattern of Terminator armour or vice versa, this ability is lost

>The most advanced ballistic augurs yet devised

You do realize "augur" is like a targeter, right.

>is better armored than Mk. 7

Only changes in terms of protection is the high collar to stop ricochets under the helmet and MkIV style extended vambraces. The actual plating is not changed.

>You do realize "augur" is like a targeter, right.
Well yeah, are you suggesting having a better targeter does not make the armor better?

>Only changes in terms of protection is the high collar to stop ricochets under the helmet and MkIV style extended vambraces
That's still better protection that the mk. 7

0/10, m8.

>Having better targeting systems and armor doesn't make it better!
>Yes it does.
>z-zero o-out of ten!
Next you'll tell me you're only pretending to be retarded too.

Chaos androids i think.

In the days of yore when Necrons weren't a thing, GW was thinking of adding a chaos sub-faction, which was going to be robots whose mind was taken over by a deamon.

>The RTB01 models were meant to have boots like the first Imperial Space Marine, but the injection moulding technology of the late 1980s made it impossible. Instead, they were redesigned with flared greaves, a design that’s been synonymous with Space Marine power armour ever since.

So can they ditch the shitty elephant legs already and go the way of the Custodes?

No, now it's an aesthetic.

Its also distinctive. Its one of the traits which set apart a "stormtrooper clone" in fiction from a "space marine clone". If some random donut OC character from some new shitty video game has huge boots in addition to power armor, then its probably a space marine clone or derivative.

This I'm afraid, the bell-bottoms are about as distinctive a thing as the pauldrons and backpack.

I do actually really like the original's design though, which was and still is incredibly distinct from other setting's power armours.
There's something slightly wrong feeling about the version though. Not as bad as the anniversary captain design though.

Holy shit. What a mess of rules. And I thought RT was bad.

RT was fine, if a little slow and lacking in scope; the fact it was a dual roleplay/tabletop book often confused people (but made it somewhat easier to generate new rules logically).

When it turned into a dozen compilations of rules from White Dwarf it got unmanageable.

Happy to be proven wrong, hopefull that carries over to 40k. I still think the in-universe explanation would be that they're too resource-intensive for negligible gains.

>RT was fine
I mean the newish RPG.

?

I still see "gems" in the Blood Angels, and possibly SW, DA, and Deathwatch...

Hopefully one day GW makes an actual suit of Mk.8 and not "Mk.7 with collar"

they did, with deathwatch

sanguinary guard too, if we're being pedants

>Basket hilt power sword
You cant believe how hard that makes me.

>MK III was based on a medieval frog mouth helm

My ass it was

Already did. Sternguard kit comes with MkVIII legs and Deathwatch kit with legs and helmets. All you need are MkIV arms and you got your MkVIII marines.

Not really, the legs lack the spherical disk on the inside of the ankle.

Rather, it's a great helm.

Deathwatch RPG

>Not really, the legs lack the spherical disk on the inside of the ankle.
That's because sanguinary guard have a completely custom job of it. They're explicitly artificer mkVIII.

They're also the only plastic marines with mkVIII gauntlets, something the deathwatch lack.

>FFG making up shit again

Thank god they're out of the picture now, don't have to deal with this bullshit anymore.

Is it actually stated somewhere Sanguinary Guard have MkVIII?

And where do you get that the previous Marks are superior to the Mark VII? Hell it was the Mark III IV or V where they mentioned picking up more advanced technologies from conquered world to integrate into the power armor.

The only mk8 part in the tac box is the torso.
The other dude was referring to the original sketches by goodwin and metal models sprinkled around various veteran sets.

>I was under the impression they were both? It's exhaust vents, and that exhaust has the dual purpose of being able to allow them to move in zero-g.
That works too.

>And where do you get that the previous Marks are superior to the Mark VII?

Don't twist my words.

From the actual fluff for the suits from WD articles and the 7e armour cards that pretty much uphold the old articles, plus HH books. MkVI has best stealth and sensory systems. MkIV and II are said to be the best, but have the drawbacks of being difficult to maintain (MkII) and requiring high-tech resources (MkIV). The MkVI suffered from poor armour during HH. The MkVII is a continuation of the project and nothing suggests that it has a radically different plating material. Same problem was faced by the MkV, since the more advanced materials of the MkIV were not available.

MkVII might be an amalgamation of everything that's been learned from the Crusade and Heresy, but you can't have everything. There are compromises. Price of fancy equipment is high cost of resource, cost of protection is weight, cost of mobility is protection, etc.

>and only because they left Death Guard to join Black Legion.

From the Codex:

>"Outside of the Death Guard, a favoured few Sorcerers of Nurgle know the secrets of the Plague Marines, and Abaddon of the Black Legion has won many of these spellcasters to his cause." (p.46).

Not all of them belong to Death Guard or Black Legion. The majority are Death Guard, and "many" of those not aligned to the Death Guard are under the hand of Abaddon, but there are still some who fall under neither of these organizations.

Please no, it looks way better with bellbots, its not a SM if it doesn't have huge paudrons and boots

Wtf are you even saying man? Provide arguments or fuck off.

What do you mean with wrong feeling? I think it's awesome.

>best augurs, a collar and extended greaves = best armour on all fronts with best protection of all suits

How about you provide some actual evidence to support this claim?

Sanguinary guard suits are relic artificer armour from the heresy days. I believe their golden nipple plate is based off of a mark IV design.

" Members of the Sanguinary Guard wear golden Artificer Armour which are relics of the Chapter, each one belonging to a handful of surviving suits from the times of the Great Crusade whose secrets of manufacture have long since been lost. These few revered relics are a tangible reminder of the very greatest days of not only the Blood Angels, but of the Imperium of Man as a whole. "

So, no- they are wearing relic artificer armour. Doesn't make sense that the imperium has lost the secrets to the construction of the most modern armour- especially one that didn't see action until after the heresy.

Makes you wonder what they're suppose to be then. The torso armour, vambraces and jump packs suggests MkIV, but the legs are MkVII.

Well, you can see in the background here that even heresy era Sanguinary guard had these greaves. It was my understanding that though mark VII was available to the loyalist legions during the Battle of Terra, this artwork was from the Imperium Secondus artwork. That means they were rocking these legs before Mark VII was a thing.

Or the artist mimicked the official models, which in turn were made with little regard to armour autism. Just like how old art has every other mark with MkV style torso and MkVI greaves.

>teacupping

Here is hoping that Forgeworld is more specific if we get some Heresy Era Sanguinary Guard. Now that's something I would throw money at.

The way he's got his legs spread though

>"Damn that hedgehog!"

Arguably would have been better than both iterations of Necrons.

>It's got the coolest looking helmet by far.
>When MkIII exists
No.

Probably the pointy kneecaps

Manspreading writ large. I mean, as the primarch, he's got to show he's the dominant guy in charge. And, thus, the manspreading.

Far too few studs on the shoulder pad
Helmet doodah is central rather than off to the left

According to the article, MkIV is the most efficient, whereas MkII is the most powerful.

FFG is no longer canon.

Actually, it was of questionable canonicity even then.

>40k
>canon
>implications

Why does it look like they're holding battle mops?

Well, they are here to cleanse the emperor's enemies.

I disagree