Warhammer Fantasy: Fix Chaos edition

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Resources (Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch, etc, for both WFB and WFRP)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third Party Miniature Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Tomb Kings Range reborn!
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/

So how do we fix chaos? Why are they portrayed as the same shit all the time instead of how they are portrayed in Liber Chaotica?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B3lxR5I19gU
youtu.be/kVE-mncKFsA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

P-pls respond

>Liber Chaotica

Casual Warhammer fan here. What's Liber Chaotica?

It's the big fluff/art book that compiles the 4 chaos god specific fluff/art books. Rare in print but common in pdf, but very much worth the print edition.

Best sourcebook on chaos and the nature of the gods and magic. It actually portrays chaos as, well, chaos, and not just big guys in spiky armor who torture and kill. A few things have been retconned, but 95% of it is still applicable to fantasy chaos

Chaos doesn't need fixed.
They won.

>It actually portrays chaos as, well, chaos, and not just big guys in spiky armor who torture and kill.

This doesn't really bother me. The way I see it, there's the odd sorcerers and cultists who understand the deeper mysteries of the gods and how to harness the power of chaos and then there's the unwashed barbarian hordes who just know there's an angry war demon who wants blood and skulls.

Every time someone makes a chaos army they 'fix chaos.' Adding personal touches and unique personalities is so unlike chaos, yeah? For the most part in fluff, their leaders are 'big spiky badass coming to kill us all!.' But a fluffy army is different, adding the individuality and uniqueness that actually shows chaos is never the same, as opposed to just constantly telling the player that. A player made army really brings home the mutability of chaos and makes chaos all the more awesome for it.

Waifu hype!

Got myself this chap from eBay. My only regret is the mold lines.

I really want to get Ulli and Marquand. They'd make perfect character models for WFRP, only wish I had gotten them before they went oop.

No qt3.14 Ariel.
:(

I just wish they'd show more variety. Everything always leads to some extreme conclusion. Why no Khorne NOTBretonnians who are honorable warriors that can live otherwise sane lives? Or Slaanesh nation given over completely to the arts that don't involve flaying children?

I'm following what total warhammer includes as canon and what not for fun and, with the release of the wood elves imminent, amber has been introduced as sort of a big deal for their end game about fixig the oak of ages; I wanted to ask what do you think this amber is and how may it work considering that there's very little amount of the stuff pretty much everywhere?

my initial theory is that it's what remains of the ramifications of the worldwide athel loren forest, a sort of black box where the receding spirit of the forest sealed the local energy/souls/memory to not lose it forever.

Just to be clear, it's not Amber as in the wind of magic?

it's described as a limited currency, so I assume it's more derived than the wind the beasts itself.

>cut pistols
>put shield

>file chainteeth
>???

>fantasy tzaangors

>buy Silver Tower Tzaangors
>???
>Fantasy tzaangors....

I'm curious to see if they'll have fantasy weapons in the box. Seems strange not to go for the multi-game sales like they do with daemons.

but they are only 3 poses

Did tzaangors exist in the Warhammer fantasy world? Not just as ones offs amongst the Beastmen, but full on herds (flocks???) like in 40k and AoS?

>but full on herds (flocks???) like in 40k and AoS?
You mean units? yes like there were pestigors and khornogors there were also slaangors and tzaangors albeit the last 2 didn't get official miniatures.

I don't know about whole armies though, GW has always marginalised the beastmen and in oldhammer there was more of a warband focus than an army-one.

>I don't know about whole armies though
Well you could give your heroes the mark of Tzeentch essentially giving you martially gifted low level sorcerers. Then the units with the appropriate mark generated additional magic dice for you.
You could totally have a Minotaur wizard leading your herd back in 6th.
Also supplement that with choices from the mortal chaos warriors and summon tzeentch demons iirc.

Maybe not the most powerful list but definitely possible.

wood elf warpstone

>Everything always leads to some extreme conclusion
Well it's the point of Chaos. Emotions without control tend to lead to extremes.
If you can have control and chaos at the same time, then everything is chaos, so it loses a bit of its impact IMO.
I wish we had more references to minor gods and independant demons like in the earlier fluff instead of a narrative centered on the big 4, though.

Back in my day we used greenstuff for that kind of thing.

>Back in my day we used greenstuff for that kind of thing.
If the solution is greenstuff 40k tzaangors' open stances and less saturated surfaces are the better choice again.

>and less saturated surfaces are the better choice again.
Not sure what that is supposed to mean to be honest.
But turning the head from left to right is an easy way to make the same pose look very different.
It also looks like you might be able to switch the torsos above the belts on their midriff, with a little careful cutting.

You don't even have to do any major reposing on the arms or legs to get more out of the models.

The biggest problem would likely be to find weapons and shields that look as ornate as the Silver Tower ones.
If you got a set of those you could mold cast your own though. Big thing for a beginner, should be easy enough for a seasoned modeller though.

Hope they add old school dryads to the game at some point.
I want dangerous sexy treewomen in my army.

>Not sure what that is supposed to mean to be honest.
there's less shit slapped on them in poor words, they are in a more blank state that could encourage getting creative in personally made additions and conversions.

the weapons are the big problem if someone wants to keep the same feel of the silver tower's ones, I admit.

>there's less shit slapped on them in poor words
Yeah, the Solver Tower guys have helmets and very ornate weapons and shields.
The bodies themselves are about the same though.

Man thinking about it I'm really tempted. I always toyed with the idea of doing a Tzeentch beastmen army in 6th.
But now I wouldn't even know how to base my models anymore.
Do I put Ungors on 20 or 25mm squares or do I say 'fuck it, I'm never gonna play WHFB again anyway' and just base them on rounds?

Thanquol Number One.

Hey!
Greyseer Number One
Hey!
Greyseer Number One

Now listen-listen closely
Here's a little lesson-lesson in skaven trickery
This is going down in Plagueskaven's history
If you wanna be Greyseer number one
You have to chase a slayer on the run
Just follow-follow my moves, and sneak around
Be careful not-not to make a sound
Shh!
Do not touch that!

Greyseer Number One
Hey!
Greyseer Number One
Greyseer Number One

(cont.)

Ha ha ha!
Now look-look at this rat ogre, that I just found
When say I go, be ready to throw
(Gotrek kills it)
Uh, lets try something else
Now watch and learn, here is the deal
He'll mutate on this warpstone peel!
(Skaven sniffs it)
Ha ha ha! -gasp- What are you doing?!

Greyseer Number one!
Hey!

I really hope they change with the seasons, both aesthetically and mechanically. I want to see the difference between a Wood Elf army in winter vs the height of summer.

I just want the seasons in and to do something with battle conditions.

>Fix Chaos

The simplest way would be to move attention away from Chaos Warriors and toward Chaos Cults, which usually have more interesting motivations and more complicated relationships with their patron deity. Also might be interesting to see cults create their own Chaos gods using the will of their members - like occult egregores. Reintroduce other Chaos gods that got scrapped, like Malal.

I don't really enjoy the bird motif. I liked how, at least on the lexicanum, Tzaangors were described as having the colors and patterns of tigers or leopards.

Birds feel comparatively cheap - yes, I know that Tzeentch has the Lord of Changes and all that, but you'd think they'd mix it up a bit.

IIRC, you get orion's army to go on a wild hunt once every 20 turns when you get full on SANIC movement range and nigh unbreakable morale.

I only hope I can forge some kind of defensive pact or alliance with them because FUCK dealing with that many fast cavalry units. Even dealing with a few Marauder Horsemen is tiring,

I don't think you necessarily need to 'move away' as Warriors to me represents times when shit is hitting the fan. The Norscan, Kurgan, Hung and other tribes unite under an Undivided Champion of the gods, and the Warriors and Chosen march along side Dragon Ogres, Trolls and other monstrosities to lay waste to the soft southern realms. After it inevitably falls apart due to logistics, infighting, and possibly military defeat, the Horde scatters and things quiet down for the most part with cults going back to their hidden dens to plot for the next war. There's plenty info on cults in the WFRP books and making your own is quite fun, a few I made for my own campaigns such as time travelling cultists who hoped to stall the End Times to prevent an even worse future from happening or another that steals the eyes of their victims.

Anyone ever tried anything with endhammer?
How well does it work as a fantasy post-apocalyptic setting in stuff like paper and pen roleplaying?

Talking about chaos I never understood what people felt was wrong with the setting of having a major chaos invasion happen at set intervals. Chaos is as much a force majore as it is a concrete army, and in real life massive hordes of horse archers riding out from the steppes and raiding everything every 50 years of so was completely normal.

Maybe change it up a bit each time and have different types of chaotic forces have a go each time.

>
>The Norscan, Kurgan, Hung
Good examples of different types of chaos forces that would make interesting invading forces.

That's quite prevalent in the Total War game. There's an event called Chaos Rising where Chaos corruption gets higher and the Norscans raid south. They were made up of mostly Marauder units, so footmen and horsemen, supported by some monsters and warhounds. I spent so many turns running around my coastline to butcher these marauders and it turned out to be the calm before the storm. Basically it was Surtha Lenk's invasion prior to Archaon's.

Personally I think the problem with major invasions happening every so often is that they seem to be getting more and more frequent. You have one at the dawn of the setting, then three thousand years later, then two thousand years later, then three hundred years, then two hundred. Some of the more learned people in the setting take this as a sign that there will be a time when there are invasions every decade, then every year, then non-stop 'there are no brakes on this rape train'. Not only should it take the population of the wastes around the Realm of Chaos, but also that Chaos is Chaos and shouldn't have much in the way of patterns. Make it a bit more random.

I heard that there are Skeggi Marauders in White Dwarf 307, but a cursory look over the files pastebin links don't show it saved. Anyone have a clue where to look next, or know if it's even worth checking out?

Endhammer died faster than pokemon go, m8.

It's less about moving away from chaos warriors as it is giving them diversity. A slaaneshi host could look like BDSM cenobites who tape and kill everyone they encounter, but it should also be able to look like an army of glittering, gaudy Knights who dedicate their lives to the thrill of the charge and perfecting their kill strokes. It doesn't have to be big psycho men in spiky armor following 1 of 4 very broad yet very repetitive themes

That's also represented but I think it's entirely because you need to limit the model range. Chaos already has so much shit while other races were completely neglected, but you still have to make it that you don't have fifteen different models for the same unit. Not to mention conversions are for that very purpose. My friend used some Knights of the Realm I didn't need to make his Chaos Knights, saying that they used to be on the Quest before they fell. He took some Chaos Warriors weapons, helmets and shields, added a few armour plates here and there, a gross green paintjob and bam, Chaos Knights of Nurgle that despaired at being 70 years old and still on the Grail Quest.

Endhammer is basically dead, yeah, but I wouldn't mind contributing more to it. I've just been so busy this semester. Not sure what part I'd work on next.

This is why I prefer smaller scale settings like Mordheim and some WHRP -campaings, where chaos is limited to a more reasonable power levels, instead of just throwing out a million chaos knights and calling it a day.

I mean in Mordheim you have your Carnival of Chaos that has more flavour than a dozen Archaon-end-of-the-world -level invasions.

The smaller the scale, the more detailed an individual soldier can be. If there's a horde of a million men, there's no time to focus on Hvdar the lowly marauder.

Plus, humbler enemies are just more compelling. You can focus on their foibles and human traits in a way you can't with some edgy superpower antichrist figure.

Not to say that powerful antagonists are bad, but they need to be introduced gradually so that defeating them, or at least facing them, feels earned. My players have gone up against some pretty powerful enemies but it was either relative to their power, or something meant to scare them into not fighting it in the first place.

I love how hilariously overbuilt Ubersreik's bridge is.

When you contract dwarfs to build you something, you shouldn't expect something humble.

Hard to sap, at least. I love how in Vermintide it's got an entire slum built beneath it. That's gotta piss the dwarfs off.

They must be there to find that fabled dwarf treasure.

Indeed.

I wish the Empire didn't use British accents, it sounds really silly and out of place considering how German literally everything else is about them.

Mod that gives the Empire serious, non-silly voices with German accents when?

the empire is better with british voices desu.

I'd be okay with silly, even stereotypical, so long as they were German. At no point did I ever imagine Imperial soldiers having British accents before I played a Warhammer video game, namely Mark of Chaos. MoC still had much better voice acting than Total War: Warhammer, but still very British. Everyone in TW sounds kinda the same.

It sounds old-fashioned and noble; blame cultural stereotypes shifting towards German being the accent of evil more than idiocy on the developer's part. It's also easier to find actors that can fake a British accent than a good German one.

As fun as this is, and how pumped up it gets me, do you really want it in Total War?

youtube.com/watch?v=B3lxR5I19gU

Not him, but honestly, I really liked those speeches.

Theres no need to file the sword, except the engine black on the back. Just paint the chainsaw teeth as stone, or bone. ie like Aztecs, or Pacific Islanders.

Only if you believe in the incorrect AoS timeline, when everyone knows the Blood Bowl timeline is the true one

Plus Creative Assembly is a British company.

Chaos is a slippery slope. People tend to start of regular, but are eventually perveted by their Gods to extremes since extremes are what the gods feed off

Honestly when the voice actor would start screaming about enemies daring to attack the Reich, it got me furious at the NPCs - how dare they attack my glorious empire? Seriously got me immersed and made me play better.

But I don't really think it'd be fitting for Warhammer - it has less of a heroic sound, I guess? Warhammer, for all its grittiness, is supposed to be a faint light threatening to be overwhelmed by dark.

sauce

Wakfu

smartass

What if Sigmar wasn't traped in the vortex, and was able to freely move about the heavens? How different wod shit be if Sigmar could intervene more often?

Is it OK to play as Kislev?

Is it?

What's the army that plays most like the Tau?

the practical tau of "form a line and shoot heavy weapons till it's dead" or the theoretical tau about gorilla tactics with superior firepower?
the dwarfs for the first, the wood elves for the second; but it's difficult in fantasy to go with shooting only.

Would High Elves be a more balanced approach?

Didn't think about that.

And yet I've painted a lot of lizardmen.

High elves don't have as much as a focus on shooting, the tau playstyle isn't quite there.

I was thinking of something with mounted archery, bows/guns, and some lancers.

>Warhammer, for all its grittiness, is supposed to be a faint light threatening to be overwhelmed by dark.
That's grimdark
But grimderp is also important
youtu.be/kVE-mncKFsA

all 3 armies of elves have those things, high and dark elves also have ballistas while the wood elves have flying mounted archers.
dwarfs don't have cavalry or lancers, but have cannons and gyrocopters.

I'm pretty sure it is.

I've seen gifs of that same elf on the Total War thread at Veeky Forums a few times before.

Sigvald is an example of chaos done right

Why wouldn't it be?

So what I'm getting from this discussion is that Chaos could be more interesting if it were composed of varied Norscan tribes, Chaos Warriors with distinctive traits inspired by their patron deity and Chaos Cults with different motivations and schemes. In a hypothetical 9th edition, do you think these ought to be separate armies or part of one big Chaos faction?

What does it take to bring down a no name greater daemon? What monsters or characters have a chance at beating one in a fight?

There were a few Warhammer Chronicles articles about different Norscan tribes including illustrations of tribe specific tattoos and scarring.

The fluff is there, you just have to use it.

Sure, but I think the discussion we were having had to do with the tabletop versions of Chaos never fully taking advantage of the fluff.

Very powerful magic weapons, sorcery, a whole lot of 'fucking pissed off' like that Bretonnian baron who slew not just one, but TWO Bloodthirsters. Khorne was so impressed by his rage that he whisked him away to the Realm of Chaos.

But generally speaking the only beings that could take on a Greater Daemon one on one and call it a fair fight are the Star Dragons, maybe the Dragon Ogre Shaggoths. Everyone else needs to be kitted out the ass to even stand a chance against them. Exceptions being godlike heroes like Aenarion, Kroak, etc.

A powerful dragon could do it, but most creatures are going to need some heavy divine firepower.

Gotrek and Felix beat a Bloodthirster together - he wasn't a no-name, though. Both of them had divine weapons of incredible power. Gotrek also beat the shit out of a Keeper of Secrets pretty much on his own. Again, he was still using Grimnir's axe.

A good, trusty cannon

>all the lumberfoots ITT

disgusting

>>LUMBAFOOTS
>>GET OUT OF MY FOREST
>>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shut the fuck-fuck up, elf-thing.

>CA is going to expand Bretonnia roster for their upcoming playable Bretonnia DLC

What lore-based stuff would you like to see?

What new stuff would you like to see?

All I want are foot knights and people that say 'foot knights are unfluffy' are retarded and don't know their lore. And more options for heroes, such as Paladins with the Knight's/Questing/Grail Vow as well as Virtues of the Chivalric Knight being a permanent upgrade that you choose at, say, level 5 or 10.

Grail reliquaries and grail pilgrims.

Aren't those already in the 6th ed. Bretonnian army book?

They're not in TW:W though, are they?