Does Veeky Forums like Overlord?

Other urls found in this thread:

skythewood.blogspot.sg/p/knights-and-magic-author-amazake-no.html
mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Season 2? SEASON 2?

Even better: Volume 12

Fuck. Yis.

I like Overlord. It's pretty interesting once you get past the OMG SELF-INSERT POWEFANTASY WANKFEST.

I mean of course the main character and his allies are stupidly powerful, but the series isn't really about that for the most part. It's the same as calling One Punch Man shit since the main character is OP.

While both characters are so OP virtually nothing can take them in a fight, that's kinda the point of both series. It stops them from becoming the same a monster of the week, "I have to get x skill I'll never use again to beat y enemy I'll never see again" ad infinitum bullshit that's so prevalent.

It's at least worth checking out if for the more weeby fa/tg/entlemen.

Does Volume 12 have a release date yet?

Hopefully never, Season 1 left out so much shit.

It's not as fine as Little King Story but it's still a acceptable Pikmin game.

>MMORPG
please kill yourself

>Does Volume 12 have a release date yet?
Last I heard, it was coming out in December. That seems a bit too quick, though.

But they're in fantasy land for the entire story.

I liked it. Not sure where people are reading the translated light novels, though.

It's only as much as an MMORPG as the plot demands since only some of the game mechanics carried over to the other world.

Even still, the MMO was already just not!DnD3.5 in virtual reality, complete with massive amounts of imbalance and That Guy levels of min-maxing, all made possible and even encouraged by the fucking crazy devs (who were basically all "ideas guys" who also were Carmack levels of coders). It also had EVE Online levels of political dickbaggery and information wars.

It's weird but it kinda works if you can get into it.

>skythewood.blogspot.sg/p/knights-and-magic-author-amazake-no.html

That site should have Volumes 1-9 and we have """fan fic""" and Volumes 10 and 11 hidden around.

Also, it's best to reread what what covered in the anime as the anime skips over a lot, some little stuff and some shit that's important for later chapters.

I've almost always seen it mentioned on Veeky Forums in positive light. So much so that I gave it a try once and found the first episode to be too obnoxious for my liking

Ignore the other guy's link, he's a faggot giving you a bad source.
Use this Mega instead: mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg

I use Madokami

>So much so that I gave it a try once and found the first episode to be too obnoxious for my liking
I can understand not liking the anime. Have you considered trying the novel? The two are rather different in tone.

>Ignore the other guy's link, he's a faggot giving you a bad source.
Ainz-sama cares not from whence the LN flows, only that it flows, without cease for all eternity.

It's pretty shit.
>muh asspulls
>muh harem
>muh adventurers guild
It's like the author decided to throw all bad cliches into the mix, and it was the end result.

Awoo a best! A BEST!

You do know that the author was basically just writing about his D&D experiences back in the day, right?

Mhm, the Log Horizon author was part of his DnD iirc.

It seems like the MMO was more of just a way for the story to be written more easily and a way for it to ride on a fad for free publicity.

I actually meant to reply to

I rather enjoy cliches if done well, and while I can't say every one used in Overlord was perfect or even good, I feel that enough were done just fine as to make the series fun for me.

In short, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

And thus the circle comes round once more. A new link in this endless chain.

There's some good character elements in it, but other parts kind of fall flat.

Most of the parts with the twins are just kind of annoying, for example, but every single scene with Sebas is comedy gold.

I was only just a little bit stronger

Really though, the MMO bit sounds like such an excuse. So much of the plot feels way, way more D&Dish, including the bits about character builds and the like.

I personally just wish he'd raised Clementine afterwards, it feels like something he would have done.

>I personally just wish he'd raised Clementine afterwards
user, her body disappeared from the castle it was being stored in post-fight. With her connections and crimes, it's obvious someone took her and they probably raised her.

As of Volume 11, she hasn't reappeared yet though.

No. It's shit

She's from the Slane Theo or however you spell it, it's setting up for them to be a problem.

After all, they're the ones also responsible for Shaltear getting mind controlled as well, even if they didn't do it intentionally.

Yeah, she was the 9th seat of the Black Scripture iirc.

Supposedly they're going to be quite important in Volume 12, so here's hoping some shit goes down.

>After all, they're the ones also responsible for Shaltear getting mind controlled as well, even if they didn't do it intentionally.
Intentionally or not, if Papa Bones figures out it was them I'm guessing he's gonna level their country multiple times over before he calms down.

>if Papa Bones figures out it was them I'm guessing he's gonna level their country multiple times over before he calms down
Would he, though? If he found out it was him, the initial assumption would be that they have a Player leading them, which would cause him to go full-paranoia mode.

The game is good and probably one of the very few self-aware games that manages to both parody and play the genre straight.
Oh, and the gameplay is good, though I prefer Little King's Story.

The anime and manga are pure cancer, though.

My. NIGGA!

I love you. No homo

God, why didn't Cocytus's shit with the Lizardmen make it into the anime? That was far more interesting than the other shit.

Hmm, I wonder what is stronger: the paranoia he'd feel in the wake of a possible player or the rage he'd feel towards someone who had him kill one of his own children.

Hopefully we'll see.

>We will never get Shallchair animated
Brb, gonna an hero.

What does this have to do with traditional games?

A novel set in D&D is fairly Veeky Forums.

>An anime/light novel set in an MMO is fairly /v/ and /a/
FTFY

Do you think any of the other Supreme Beings are out there anywhere? I get the impression that they're not, but that would make for a boring conclusion to the main plot thread, so I doubt it.

I don't know how the New World could ever be explained, short of it being another layer of virtual reality, and I don't think anyone wants that.

>set in an MMO
>literally never in an MMO
>the fantasy land has D&D mechanics and D&D races
>""""light"""" novel that is longer than most Western novels
You sure showed me how correct you are.

user, not muh Veeky Forums fags don't care if it's actually Veeky Forums.
They just want to complain and get things shut down.

We need to go deeper, user.

>An light novel (with an anime and manga adaptation) set in an MMO based on DnD and inspired by real life tabletop experience is fairly /v/, /a/, Veeky Forums, /soc/, and Veeky Forums related

>the fantasy land has D&D mechanics
A wizard buffing for 12 hours before a boss fight is way more WoW than DnD

Bullshit it isn't.

Have you ever played 3.5 with a fucking CoDzilla?

They blow half their spellist before the fight even begins.

factually incorrect.

Not only do I get the feeling you've never played WoW, but I also think you've never played even a moderately high-levelled DnD 3.5 campaign before either.

Veeky Forums doesn't read, just smells it's own farts and talks about what good literature is because thats what they were told

>A wizard buffing for 12 hours before a boss fight is way more WoW than DnD

man, fuck literature snobs.
Going on about how genre fiction is all shit, while completely ignoring how many of the classics they love are totally genre fiction of the era.

Just like much of Veeky Forums doesn't play traditional games, they just talk about anime

>Veeky Forums doesn't read, just smells it's own farts
I didn't know Veeky Forums was so high brow of late. They're really turning themselves around.

Good on 'em I say.

>stop talking about anime on the traditional gaming board of an anime imageboard
>crossposting between boards is shit because I don't like it
The only boards that aren't allowed to leak are containment boards like /pol/ and /mlp/, anything else is fair game for crossposting as long as the subjects are at the very least tangentially related.

I would pay real goddamn money for an MMO that let me buff as much as I can in d&d

Its garbage.

I fucking love Overlord. It's like playing pikmin only you're a BBEG with goblins instead of a tiny alien with plant-men.

That would be season 2, would it not?

Season 1 covered everything right up until the lizardman arc actually starts, albeit fairly sparsely.

The game is pretty sweet. Anime was shit, though.

I like all these fags who think they are clever by going

>lol I love the game :^)

As if they didnt exactly know what the thread is about

Seconding this.
Its also for less than 1$ on g2a

when?

I have no idea what overlord is in the context of the thread, only that it's not the amazingly Veeky Forums game, but something anime related.

And you know what? We should talk about that ame more. It's Veeky Forums as fuck.

FOR (YOU)!

let's see

>a "trapped in an MMO" weebshit

>a good game

Nah, i'd rather discuss things that are actually good.
Overlord 2 was kinda not the same tho

There are good "trapped in an MMO" anime and manga, though. It's just that Overlord isn't one of them.
If you want a recent example, ToaruOssan and KonoSuba instantly come to mind.

KonoSuba is arguable a "trapped in an MMO" story.
Id rather say it's a "Trapped in a fantasy universe" story.

Btw, when are they gonna continue that story?

>Not being a That Guy wizard on D&D Online
It's not perfect, but it gets close.

I don't think we're thinking of the same overlord

Overlord is god tier once you realize it's not a "trapped in a MMO self-insert powerwank" you'd be forgiven to initially assume.

Winter, and it's more MMO than fantasy universe if only because all the powers and abilities are obtained through a system of abstracts and grinding through quests like you'd find in an MMO. There's classes that determine what abilities you have access to and you "purchase" access to them with experience points.

Is it bad that I'd unironically watch an anime that ticks all boxes?

Just read fanfiction instead.
SpaceBattles and FF.net is pretty much the place to go for "trapped in fantasy world" powerwank.

But I want fluid animation, pleasant voices, good character designs and likeable characters. Not "OC donut steel".

>I want to watch something with a shitty plot X!
>But I don't actually want to watch shitty plot X, I just want it to have good execution!
??????

You said it yourself: even a shitty plot can have good execution. And I'm willing to bet both of my buttcheeks there have been more than enough anime, movies, books etc. with a good idea behind it but a shitty execution.

>MC gas an OC FREE SPACE donut steal power
Well, he had a chance to acquire one, but he blew that chance by picking an useless goddess as his starter item on the new world, just out of spite towards that dickass goddess.
Hilarity ensued.

Oh and then there was another time he met another guy who was also sent to that universe on same mission he was sent there, only that guy picked a OP 1 hit kill sword and was now going around as a holy paladin of mistress Aqua (the dickass goddess who apparently acted a bit more nicer towards this guy).
Then the guy lost his sword on a duel against MC when MC uses a steal skill on him, grabs his sword and bashes him over the head with its wide side.
And then MC sold the sword away and the last we saw of the paladin-kun was him slaving off on some open top mine in order to get enough money to buy the sword back.

But why just not watch whatever with good execution, regardless of its plot or even medium (i.e. whether it's anime or not)?

>I mean of course the main character and his allies are stupidly powerful, but the series isn't really about that for the most part. It's the same as calling One Punch Man shit since the main character is OP.
>While both characters are so OP virtually nothing can take them in a fight, that's kinda the point of both series. It stops them from becoming the same a monster of the week, "I have to get x skill I'll never use again to beat y enemy I'll never see again" ad infinitum bullshit that's so prevalent.
>It's at least worth checking out if for the more weeby fa/tg/entlemen.
This. The main character is powerful enough that nothing in the world poses a threat to him, which is why it establishes that in the first like two episodes to make the point that that's not what this show is about.

> I mean of course the main character and his allies are stupidly powerful, but the series isn't really about that for the most part. It's the same as calling One Punch Man shit since the main character is OP. While both characters are so OP virtually nothing can take them in a fight, that's kinda the point of both series.

The key difference between OPM and Overlord is that OPM is a comedy. Overlord is not.

Oh, and the shounen parts of OPM are really boring, even when they're going for "...Okay" comedic vibe, because, holy shit, the pacing of the battles is fucking atrocious.
You can say that that is the point, as it parodies shounens, which are known for shitty pacing, but this is not acceptable. Even if you are going for an affectionate love-letter to the genre, you still shouldn't include the shitty parts of that genre.

It is not a good anime mango. It does many things bad.

But it is a fun anime mango. It does many fun things.

It's like a terrible film that you secretly like because it's still hilarious and the fact it's terrible bizarrely contributes to that.

>MC introduced modern goods to the world listed as no, for konosuba
Somebody hasn't read the light novels. He also has a blacksmith forge him a katana (although it's a shitty one). The "dickhead government official" one is also true, although in that world basically every noble is either insane or an asshole (because most of the sane people have long since refused to reincarnate, as stated right at the beginning).

Also, neither the Eris Cult nor the Axis Cult are not-Christianity, so that box is a no.

There's quite a bit of comedy to Overlord as well, though.

The entire relationship of Momoga and the Guardians is based entirely on the comedic element of his misunderstanding of how they see him, after all.

Pretty meh. Not bad, but I wouldn't recommend it.

>Sasuga, Ainz-sama

It was only an MMO because Jap nerds are too plebbish to know what D&D is.

Literally everything taken out of these LN, and the anime adaptation of it can be found in the DnD core rulebooks.

I think Overlord has a much larger amount and variety of undead summons, though.

>be writing stuck-in-mmo novel
>can't even check most of the fields because German fantasy doesn't do main characters
>One field short of a bingo
>Twice

I don't know how feel about this. Apparently my story will be shit, but it's gonna sell somewhat decently?

No. It's boring and all the characters suck. Japanese power fantasies usually suck.

>Yes. Climb is boring and Climb sucks. Japanese power fantasies are usually great.
ftfy

Don't make me hit you.

>>""""light"""" novel that is longer than most Western novels
I agree that Overlord is Veeky Forums related, but that's not really a fair comparison.

Light novels are modern Japanese pulp. Anthology-serialized fiction of wildly varying quality. That's why they have such a tendency towards trashy escapism, and also they're so TL;DR -- Overlord is more comparable format-wise to Conan the Barbarian than to Lord of the Rings. There's tons and tons of Conan stories, because they were serialized in a magazine, and Howard had to keep it comin'. Light novels are called "light" as opposed to "hard" because they're easier to read, and in Japan it's not considered real literature unless you need a dictionary to understand it.

>and in Japan it's not considered real literature unless you need a dictionary to understand it.
To be fair, in any language it's not really literature if there aren't some words you need to look up in it.

But Overlord has been heavily criticized for using difficult kanji that a fairly large portion of the LN audience cannot read.

>To be fair, in any language it's not really literature if there aren't some words you need to look up in it.
>The public school system.

Yeah, education in general is pretty shitty nowadays. What's your point? That literature isn't distinguished by high level vocabulary?

Wait, really? Because I've never needed a dictionary when reading Kant or Nietzsche. Are those just pleb-level reading?

In translation, or the original German?
Try Hegel motherfucker, I dare you. Even the translations don't make sense.

German, but I was raised speaking both languages; I probably wouldn't be able to read it if English was my first language.
Haven't read Hegel, but I'm going to call you a bitch anyway for not being able to read it.

Huh, didn't know that. I was just giving the definition of a light novel.

>Haven't read Hegel, but I'm going to call you a bitch anyway for not being able to read it.
Nigga, even Schopenhauer called his writings the kind of thing you'd normally see scribbled on the walls of an insane asylum.

Bruh, and if we're going into a "need a dictionary to read it" pissing contest the nazi loli LN is both a pain in the ass to read and the books are big enough to murder people with.

Horizon season 3 never.

As a reader/watcher of KonoSuba, It acts a lot more like a JRPG than an MMO.

Overlord isn't a light novel series, it's regular Japanese fantasy novels.