What's the best way that you've died in a campaign?

What's the best way that you've died in a campaign?

Failed to kill Death

Assassinated in the street on the way to the library. It was inglorious and so sudden that it took a couple of seconds for the party to realize I died, both on table and off.

I solo charged a thirty orc formation. I got hit with a greataxe crit for all of my hp, and died the manly Titan Fighter way... Admittedly, I got better almost immediately.

Survived a breath attack from two dragons just to die to a goblin immediately afterwards.

I'll let the jury decide

1. Ran up to a zombie ogre to cover for a squishier character, got splattered from full to -11 by a critical hit.

2. Fighting evil wizard, Evard's Black Tentacles kill me, other PC polymorphed into cow, they trample evil wizard to death in cow mode but then die of thirst in the desert.

3. Encountered mushroom men, they are wholly unreasonable when diplomacy is attempted, whole party fails saves and kills each other in hallucinogenic haze.

4. Got eaten by a giant frog and by the time I cut my way out, the rest of party (mostly) had got murdered by a bulette(or similar). I tried to hide in frog corpse, Bulette starts savaging corpses, our cursed animated chair tries to come to the rescue but is slain and detonates in a fireball, killing everyone and monsters, except our chaotic evil feyling space wizard.

2 is definitely better.

My two favorites.

My naive bard tried to diplomacy a nightwalker.

And before that my weretiger pounced a death giant. I rolled a 1 on my charge, followed by another 1, and then a 3. I slipped and fell mid charge in front of the death giant. He got an attack of opportunity. He critted.

He cut my weretiger in half before she hit the ground.

not me, but in a campaign I was running:
players were in a dungeon that the theme was time was broken, they started running into signs that there was copies of themselves, from timelines that they never escaped the caves, trying to kill them. yes it was Hypercube inspired.
The barbarian's solution, because he was sure that he was the strongest one of the group, and thus the hardest copy to kill, killed himself with all of explosives the team had in stock, and have them just pay to revive him later. so that they wouldn't have to deal with timeclones of him.

I thought it was creative enough and replaced the time he would have shown up, with a completely destroyed room instead.

Ghost reached into my chest and crushed my heart

>Party infiltrating antagonist faction outpost
>Demo expert goes in, obtains base layout information and passes it along to Mission Control so that he can guide my character to the central control room and then rig a reactor to overload
>Slaughters his way to the objective, enemy has been alerted but everything going more or less to plan
>Gets to the control room
>Mission Control screaming in his ear to rig it and get out
>'Um. Slight issue.'
>Character is a blind swordsman
>The switches are colour coded
>Mission Control confused for a moment, realises what the issue is, lights a cigarette and begins attempting to jack the security cameras while swearing up a storm
>Character can hear a swarm of mooks tromping down a nearby hallway, too many to fight, not gonna be enough time for the cameras
>'...'
>He hits a random series of buttons, GM rules that he has a 1/10 chance of being lucky enough to get it right
>He doesn't get it right
>Reactor overloads immediately and the facility goes up in a magical firestorm

Party later recovered his charred remains and paid to have him resurrected just so Mission Control could beat him half to death. Good use of funds.

From our WWI campaign we're running
>my character is at least twenty years older than the rest of the other PC's and is in charge of the squad
>I my character after many sessions ends up playing as the hardass who honestly cares about the men under him
>earn the nickname Papi
>krauts are overrunning our lines, our flank has already fallen
>give the fallback order
>my character's hometown is Verdun, and the only baggette among the PC's
>'fuck no I'm not letting these krauts take any more of my home town than they have too'
>run to the nearest vickers MG and inform the group I'm staying
>after a short conversation with some good command checks they regretfully withdraw
>skip forward another year worth of sessions
>I'd already forgotten about Papi
>we acquire a tank, and the two survivors we have from the start demand that 'Papi' be painted on the sides

Its honestly the only time I think one of my characters have stuck so hard in my friends.

Dang son, that's great

Well there was that one time the last remaning PC alive Izuna dropped the BBEG into a cliff.

My stupid, drunk bard started to argue with an very powerful evil book that the BBEG made us steal. I was parted after the heist from my party and had to travel alone to our destination. After a night in a tavern I decided to take a look in the thing we had to steal. Turns out, the book was a vessel for some kind of greater demon. Instantly it tried to seduce me with the most wonderful things I could only dream of. Long story short, after I started drawing dicks and other things in it, our book got kinda angry and destroyed the whole village in a blackhole.

Oddly from my standpoint I really didn't like Papi as a character. He was inept at commanding troops in actual battle, but honest to god he cared for every single soldier that was under him. He had really good fellowship, but very poor intellect that lead him to very poor command choices, and over time over time he ended up being a victim of nationalism.

Critted to death by four dire weasels. At once. The DM rolled two 20's for two of the weasels to hit and then max rolls on the damage dice.

We carried me around in a bottle of jam until I could get resurrected.

Papi sounds amazing, honestly. That's good character depth.

DnD 5e, Half-orc Cleric of Pelor. Failed a strength check to lift blessed water in his temple to dump on a demon. So I ended up shitting on his temple floor. When I tried to hold the Demon General in place while our wizard roasted him, Pelor let me roast. My GM had established a world where gods would protect their disciples as long they upheld their honor

> DnD 3.5, fighting a trio of dire badgers
> Chaos Sorcerer/Wild Mage fucks up, rolls on his wild magic table and gets Zone of Silence and Darkness
> DM in a moment of lucid retardation puts a giant box over all our minis
> We are now forced to fight based off of memory of where our minis were and we can't talk to each other; we tell DM how many squares to move, which way to face, attacks, etc
> Kinda funny how we keep correcting each other to shut up
> Meanwhile these 3 Dire Badgers are going HAM on us over the course of about 20 rounds
> I'm first casualty
> I bleed out because combat is basically guessing at this point
> Combat eventually ends and DM removes the box
> Turns out the dire badgers were dead after the zone of silence and darkness was put up and the rest of the combat we were wailing on each other

It's probably my own self criticism, but I can't understand why Papi was a deep character. I just roleplayed him as I felt that he should be played.

Friendly fire incident - an area effect spell accidentally covered the whole room instead of just where the bad guys were. Everyone rolled damage for themselves separately... when the dust settled, nobody else was even slightly hurt by it, but all that was left of my character was a pile of dust, and some melted metal.

This is what happens when you keep open-ending over and over on a damage roll in a percentile system. Why can't I do that when the damage is on someone else?

Well way back in 4e I had a paladin that worshiped the Sun.
He had this ability that let him absorb fire damage and turn it into temporary hitpoints. Due to 4e being overall poorly written, there was no limit to the amount of damage he could absorb.
The villain was attempting to destroy the world by opening a fuck-huge portal to the elemental plane of fire, roasting the whole material plane.
So my paladin did the noble thing and jumped into the portal, absorbing literally all the fire in the elemental plane of fire.
I guess it wasn't really a death, but no one knew how to handle that situation.
I was happy

Detonated a magical nuke at point blank range over a town with an explosive sewer system in order to kill the final boss. It didn't work, but the boss died one turn later from self damage while trying to take a potshot at a teammate.

>Fighting evil wizard, Evard's Black Tentacles kill me, other PC polymorphed into cow, they trample evil wizard to death in cow mode but then die of thirst in the desert.

What does any of the other PC dying part have to do with how you died tho

Stabbed by our paladin mid lap dance/strangling the BBEG.

... Paladin ascends to godhood?

Played a blank crusader in DH2E who got shot in the back by the the fanatic who hated his guts while remaining behind to fight off a bunch of bloodletters to let the party escape the scene. Kept going for a few rounds while being surrounded and cut down by the bloodletters but he ultimately died with a smile on his face for having been given the dignity to fight for the Emperor by the inquisitor instead of living in trash heaps on the shrine world he grew up on.
The fanatic ended up being punshied by the inquisitor so that eased the pain of losing that character as well.

Essentially what we went with after some deliberation.
He became a new Sun

One shot, my friend died.
>3.5 we haven't played much dnd so no munchkins
>Me, knight
>Friendo, don't remember his class at all, he's the redshirt
>Barbarian friend, dumped Int and Wis. Named Club, had a club also named Club. Consulted Club often about decisions. Trusted Club completely
>We hear about a monster den full of treasure, and since we didn't hate plot hooks off we went
>Monster inside, still don't know what it was, but it was tougher than all of us together.
>"Club smash!" Club charges in first.
>Club gives it a good shot but takes a serious hit, steps out of range.
>I call it craven and shout constantly while swinging my sword at its face to keep its attention. Friendo moves in behind to stay safer
>Lower lever party, so my AC lets me tank reasonably effectively.
>Friends realize we're fighting on a horde of treasure, stop fighting to collect said treasure.
>Monster not a fan
>Ignores my insults about its parentage and redshirt eats shit that round.
>Club pulls redshirt to a safe distance. -8hp
>Nobody has healing items
>Or medicine
>-9hp, Club rolls medicine untrained. Gets a 1.
>Since Redshirt failed to stabilize and was going to die anyway, DM rules that Club acts in character
>"Club heal!"
>Redshirt's head gets pulped by manly barbarian healing.
>Had to bug out, didn't even get any loot.
>Club ultimately forgave Club for not being a good healer.

tl;dr Wizard died in re-entry as I rode The BBEG/DMPC back to orbit

a year prior to death
>Enchanted bowl with flight and launched it to orbit

>It is revealed that th BBEG was practically an overpowered chaos warrior with gold and a shit ton of other chaos warriors under his command. also has a harem since this character is practically a self insert of the DM
>BBEG surrounds us and schmoozed with the Half elf bitch in the party meanwhile we're stuck trying to escape the dungeon
>Finally get my spell book back and levelled In the process of getting out
>The rogue opts to leave but an idea pops into my head
>I run out to the main floor and challenged BBEG to a duel
>Since the DM wanted to show off his character as he usually does He accepts and since he knows I can't kill him.
>I decide the battlefield he says and I tell him that I shall teleport us there
>I then teleport to the location of the bowl
>We both fall to our death.
>I giggle like a school boy on the table as both are beloved characters burn up during re entry

It was all in vain though as a more powerful copy of his character sprouted up again to take his place but atleast he rarely shows off anymore

What'd you pick?

A cavalier, it was actually the 3rd time he'd died.
Aparantly the assassin spend 3 turns studying me, and when our GM rolled up the damage for the crossbow bolt lodged in my neck it went well over my Hitpoints and the half threashold for outright kill time.

That particular character died in the following ways over the course of that campaign:
>Obliterated mid flight by a Scorching Ray in a last ditch effort to fell a floating necromancer
>Turned to Stone (I count petrification as being killed)
>Assassinated
>And finally, killed by the paladin.

The last one was when I had no options left to bring my character back. For those curious. We fell into trap set by two Lamia Matriachs, they managed to drain the paladins Wisdom to a point where he could be dominated and he proceeded to wreak my shit. all his attacks landed and a bunch of crits.

This was a death that happened before the campaign, but I don't have too many deaths that happened in the campaign.

I was playing Monster Hearts and my character was the ghost. Why was he a ghost? Because he was obsessed with the 50s and always dressed up like the Fonz. Students got so sick of it that they lynched him. He refused to believe that he wasn't the coolest, most popular guy ins school so he continued to haunt the school for the next couple decades

Getting whipped to death by a mind controlled midget.

I was playing an unarmed melee type character and we were fighting some kind of glowing floating teleporting energy dude, which was essentially the boss of the dungeon we were exploring.

I didn't have any ranged options, and it was just blasting us with energy beams from above, so I climbed a pillar and jumped on it. I had hoped this would bring it to ground level, but it remained floating with me grappling it as I pummeled it. It teleported, bringing me with it, outside of the structure we were in over the side of a mountain. I tried to get to teleport back, unsuccessfully, so figuring I had nothing to lose, continued pummeling it until it died, dropping me several hundred feet onto a mountain side. Needless to say, this killed me.

Broke the Evil Syndicate Leader's personal teleporter, spear tackled him off of a catwalk in a sky city, and strangled him to death with my own intestines(which he had so kindly exposed in the previous round) on the 10 mile journey to the poisonous landscape below.

It depends on the rules the world work on. But i would rather be a Ghost

Not really a death, but it did make me reroll character.

>Be me, half-elf rogue.
>We just escaped from a particularly brutal dungeon in the heart of a forest.
>Our barbarian just got a pretty nifty axe in it though.
>"Axe of reverse woodcutting"
>Basically, every hit carries a small chance of polymorphing into a tree.
>Our escape involves jumping down a waterfall.
>I fail my roll and break my back horribly against some rocks.
>Negative points and stabilization ain't gonna happen.
>Barbarian does the only thing he can think of in that situation.
>Hits me with axe right in the middle of my chest.
>Roll is succesful.
>Where there was an about to die half elf rogue there is now a beautiful tree with yellow golden leaves.

Died in a rigged fight while calling out the GM's friend for cheating.
He won the fight while being knocked down on the ground.
I was killed by the referee using sith lightning immediately after the fight. It was a failed roll with 6 force dice and 5 discipline. It was still lethal even though it was a fail.
I refused to take the hint and leave the game, and instead started singing Johnny Cash's "i can see now that you've stacked the cards".
The gm EXPLODED with rage during and after the singalong. It was the ragest rage I have ever seen in my life, as if my singing had somehow undone his attempt to get me to leave. I'm reasonably sure he broke a mouse or a piece of furniture during the episode.
As you can imagine, the game fell apart after that. Everyone saw the guy for what he was. And that's what you do to people who hate Johhny Cash.

On a marble pillar in the middle of the ocean raised half and hour ago while engaging in spell battle against three demigod level dragons. I kind of was the BBEG.

It's a shame they could not wait 2 hours more before getting to me. Or this battle would have gone in a really different direction.

>god who granted people huge power suddenly vanishes
>that power was the only thing holding back hordes of shadow demons
>world is in major shit with millions dying across the globe
>find ritual that will let a ghost find the god in 'heaven' or whatever
>cut my own throat
>find god just taking a nap
>refuses to bring his power back into the world
>doesn't even res me
>just goes back to sleep as my ghost vanishes

It was crazy after dozens of sessions this was what happened, we all broke out laughing.

That's a nice way to go out

Survived TPK from underground orcs, escaped into the darkness, only to run face first into a random encounter gelatinous cube. Escape with 1 hitpoint, try to make my way back to cave entrance. Run face first into another gelatinous cube.

Without a doubt, the best character death I've had was my quite insane and quite corrupted ex-Arbitrator who sprouted three extra legs upon encountering the ascending arch-heretic of a Sector-wide conspiracy.
Rather than being put down by the rest of the party and the accompanying aztec Space Marines, he pulled out the two Melta Bombs he brought as a contingency, and charged into the almost-daemon prince, blowing the fuck out of the entire bossfight with an explosive headbutt. The only thing that remained of him was his cigarette case, his gun, and his silhouette burned into the stone.

Constipation curse.

Got a really bad leg wound and was slowing down the squad, decided to get really high on Hallucinogen grenades and charge the Defiler that was chasing us,

I've only died like, three times ever.

The notable one was when I died because I tried to save the entire party instead of my own hide.

>Amber Temple, 5e version
>Arcanoloth is still running amok
>Party is Me, Dead, Fleeing, Trapped, Trapped, and Trappe
>All three trapped by the same trap, that I told them not to go into IC and OOC
>All of them were sure they could pass the DC 15 Wis save to not be enthralled
>So I burned a story reward to learn everything about the statue
>And instead of Dimension Dooring out and full resting like I should have...
>I misty stepped back in and tried to break the statue and free the party
>Mulitattacking GWF with a +2 greatsword against fucking stone
>Deal 80+ damage to it in two turns and don't break it
>Arcanoloth steps in and Hold Persons me, laughs, and kills me
>DM didn't tell me it had 100 hit points to break despite my reward literally saying I learn everything
>I died for their Hubris
>Still salty

pummeled to death by a chimera after i lost my sanity and went crazy

Elf covered in meat pie chucked by ogre at a moving cart, and then punched in dick by halfling intending to calm him down, only to roll double Ulric's Fury and cause him to explode.

Thats what made Papi great though. When you role play a character as they should be, it adds a lot of dimensions to the character

Cyberpunk 2020, long ago.

After chaos on a previous campaign, GM took a "Let the Dice fall where they may" approach, all rolls, even GM's for combat were visible.

Very beginning of the campaign, minor encounter to start things off, a rentacop shoots at my character. Hits, random location... Head. Max damage. Head hits are double damage. Which exceeds the limb destroyed threshold.

Insta-gibbed at the very beginning. The Rocker did use it to start up a riot with a lot of good rolls, but I don't even recall the rest of the campaign. I think we stopped playing Cyberpunk 2020 shortly after.

That's pretty awesome, user.

Being impaled by a flaming centaur barbarian in full-plate dual-wielding greatswords as he impales my pyromancer to an Egyptian altar before separating my character's waist from his torso.

I did tell my DM I wanted to retire my character a few sessions prior but I had no idea he'd give me such a metal death.

Fired my gun.
First game, first time playing this character, this system, first turn of the first true fight of the campaign, and I roll a 92 to fire my Heavy Plasma gun.
>Overheat: Roll the damage as though you've been hit by a shot from the gun.
"Okay, I'll be fine. I'm a Nurgle worshipping Space marine and if I get snake eyes, I'll be at 4 wounds, so I'll be fi-"
>Maximum damage
>Wounds:-14
DM said me and the gun went up in a nuclear explosion.

Yes. Yes, the goddess Arenji RNG is a fucking CUNT.

>5e, playing a warlock, level 3
>recruited by a fucking dragon to get this control rod for a mechanical army so lich bbeg won't have it
>Go through huge tower, kill shit
>Find control rod
>other player's character's long-lost father (who was pretty clearly working for the lich, and may have been a powerful warlock) asks us to give it to him
>Being driven insane via some planes bullshit, reason that my character would act paranoid
>Decide to destroy rod
>Eldritch blast the thing in my hands
>DM, without rolling anything, decides this makes it fly into this guys hand perfectly
>Lich gets his army in town 5 min later
>Die after getting a Cone of Cold to the face from other PC's Dad
>okay.jpeg

Not my death since I haven't played a game in forever no one wants to gm but one my friends spent a significant part of a campaign trying to avoid a clingy NPC, which eventually ended in a double suicide where the NPC went full yandere and pulled the PC to his death off a large building. They were both dudes

That's a murder-suicide, not a double suicide. Double suicide is when two people willingly kill themselves.

Abusing my regeneration function to check the bottom of long drops for the party by taking the accelerated de-elevation method.

It worked fine several times until I found one that had lava at the bottom with fire damage to bypass the damage immunity.

This added fuel to the group's unwillingness to let me forget how often I set myself on fire for theatrical and utilitarian purposes.

>Getting whipped to death by a mind controlled midget
Kinky!

Same thing happened to me in a Call of Cthulhu game. Shot an AK at what was probably Slenderman, died instantly of a richochet that hit me in the head. First and last time I ever played CoC.

Playing with new guy who was a Bard. He seemed to think taking expertise in Intimidation would give him a chance to talk the 30 bandits surrounding us into running away.

He also seemed to think that when shit went to hell teleporting away and leaving the Ranger and Cleric to deal with it was a good idea.

This one time in Paranoia, there were two Troubleshooters left near the end of a mission. Me and another player, both on our last clones. We'd 'cleaned out' the sewer system the team had been assigned to, and had both managed to both blow up our laser pistols after running out of ammunition. There was an elevator ride back up, and neither of us had useful mutant powers (I had matter eater, and I believe he might've had x-ray vision or something) or any competence whatsoever in fistfighting. As soon as the door closed we both announced attacks on the other.
Multiple shitty rolls later, we were tossing the contents of our pockets at each other, stamps and bags of chips flying. Once we ran out of those, we moved onto the contents remains of the poor technician we'd brought along, who didn't even survive the trip down thanks to a badly-timed testing of a mysterious device. A few wrenches and clipboards later, we're both beaten and bruised, when the table finally remembered that we'd left the case of experimental grenades behind in the elevator at the start because nobody wanted to be the one to carry it around.
We each got a couple grenades in before the elevator and most of the shaft was consumed in a nuclear fireball laced with confetti, glue, and hallucinogens.

What did you do to your DM?

Sounds like a pretty wise idea to me, honestly.

Turning on my party in a Slaaneshii elevator.