Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Emerald is the new black edition

Discuss the lore and viability of Warcraft as a tabletop setting.

Previous thread:

First for KT a cute

2nd for 1 arrow would be enough

or one rock
>NIGHTMARED.com

I hope DKs get to save him in 7.2

I was watching MrBTounge's video about Diablo 3 today, and got to the part where he talks about Diablo 2, how Marius is a reflection of the player, driven to continue his journey because he is helpless to avoid his destiny and is therefore complicit in his own destruction, just as the player is compelled by the addictive gameplay to continue playing and replaying the game ad infinitum.

Its made me start to wonder if WoW is some secret work of supreme art. The fundamental core message of the games is "no matter how shitty any individual or group or even majority population within any given race or nation acts, let it go because seeking revenge against the whole nation or race for those individual acts just continues the cycle of revenge until somebody is wiped out, and if that happens you are fucked because there are bigger threats out there that you can't handle alone." And yet despite that, every WoW lore discussion ends up a partisan shouting match between Horde or Alliance players listing grievances in order to justify retaliation and escalating the in-game conflict so the faction that they consider to be in the wrong gets wiped out.

Blizzard may have managed to turn all of us into the Horde and Alliance NPCs we constantly rail against for forcing the dumb faction conflict to continue in the face of bigger threats. We may have been struck ignorant of the obvious futility and pettiness of our arguments about who is "the bad faction," accomplishing nothing except furthering the war of words, and thus our investment in the franchise that will keep us buying the games.

Makes you think.

Which one.

Best aspect?

you make a convincing point, but at the same time, Theramore totally had it coming and Garrosh did nothing wrong

none of them
Kosak was a mistake

Bronze > Red >= Green > Blue

The aspects were invented by Knaak, I thibk. Alextraza and Deathwing have been around from WC2 (Deathwing even appearing in the game, while Alextraza I think was only mentioned in the lore as the dragon the Horde had captured to breed dragon mounts for them), but were considred to just be particularly powerful dragons, rather than the demigods they later became.

>demon worshiping monsters from another world are invading
>should we do something? nope
>said demon worshiping aliens have managed to capture one of us and are using her to produce an army of dragons
>should we do something? never liked that bitch anyway
>armies of undead are trying to summon demons
>should we do something? do i look like i care?
>holy fucking shit demons everywhere
>should we finally do something? nah, can't be arsed

Fucking lazy lizard cunts.

>The aspects were invented by Knaak,
that's what I meant, I confused the shitty writers with K names
brb sudoku

you forgot
>any black dragon anywhere does anything
>REEEEEEEEE MORTALS SAVE US

Alex a best. She a fine ass DMILF with child-bearing hips, a plump ass, tig ol' bitties, handlebar horns, that reddish brown skin that's somehow even sluttier than anime chocolate sex elf, and the seed-hungriest fertilist womb in the entire world.

Well, supposedly she's lost the last one. All the dragons suddenly being sterile because the aspects gave up their powers is a pretty stupid plot twist. Its not like the Protodrakes stopped whelping. There better be a point and purpose to that shit.

>>demon worshiping monsters from another world are invading
>>should we do something? nope
>>said demon worshiping aliens have managed to capture one of us and are using her to produce an army of dragons

The dragons were all massively depowered at that point. If they showed up and interfered then Deathwing would have roasted them.

>The dragons were all massively depowered at that point.
is that why red drakes breathing fire were exactly as strong as a dwarf on a gryphon throwing hammers? Bravo Blizzard

Ysera a best. Sad fate, though.
Alex is second best.
Noz is weird and silly, which comes part and parcel with timetravel shenanigans.
Mal was stupid.
Nel was even more stupid.

Malygos wasn/t wrong when he determined that all the world's problems were because Mortals were permitted to use magic. It was really the whole kidnap them, put them in boxes, manipulate or force them into turning on their friends and loved ones, and trying to alter the planetary leylines which could cause catastrophic damage to everyone and everything on it that was the issue.

He probably should have started a little smaller before he escalated to the full-scale war/apocalypse option.

He was completely insane though, wasn't he? It probably didn't even occur to him to start small.

Will we ever see anything more Mogu? I thought they were the best stuff that MoP had to offer

To be fair, mortal magic users have been causing trouble on various scales forever. I'm sure he finally just got fed up with it.

So on a whim I watched the movie today. Was it their intention to make it a comedy?

Actually he was sane for the first time in ten thousand years because of the Netherdrakes his daughter brought back from Outland. Their unique magic healed his mind. Then he decided to fuck mortal spellcasters because everything was their fault.

His daughter a best BTW. Wish they'd bring her and her paladin husbando back.

Odyn should be free after the players kill Helya. Maybe he'll unite all the titan-forged races? I have my doubts but it's not impossible.

GUL'DAN CHEATS

Gul'dan truly was the only redeeming quality for the film

>7.2 adds a new champion for every class
>death knights get Kel'thuzad
>warriors get Lei Shen
>druids get Cenarius
>demon hunters get Lady Vashj's soul

>Only
>Disregarding Blackhand being a badass chieftain commanding respect with occasionally showing his inner struggle as he detests the Fel but has to accept its use because it's pretty much their victory card.

Gul'Dan was breddy awesome, though.

Did you watch the director's cut or the theater release?

Theater release is missing a lot to fit for time.

There is no director's cut, unfortunately. At least that's the last I heard.

The cut scenes don't really add *that* much, they give a bit of extra screen time to characters such as orgrim and durotan broing it up vs. Grom, plus the cameo of our spiritual liege Chris Metzen as perfume merchant selling aphrodisiac to fat bottom bitches so they can fuck their husbands off to battle.

>Gul'Dan steps up to Mak'Gora against Durotan
>Oh come on, he's a powerful warlock sure but he's a hunched over old fart
>Back straight, built like a brick shithouse and towers over Durotan

So it occurred to me that the Warchief being the undisputed leader of the whole Horde is a notion that only showed up in Cata. Back in early WoW the Horde was just as fractured as the Alliance, at least in terms of the Kalimdor-EK split.

Thrall was considered the leader, but mainly because he had the personal gratitude of the trolls and the taured, and thus the most political clout. It was never suggested that his authority went as far as it does now. The only time the other races directly appeal to him is when the blood elves were applying to join the Horde. He certainly didn't have much authority over Sylvanas (but then, she wasn't stupid back then).

Of course, back when Thrall was warchief (even in WC3) the Horde was trying to be an actual civilization, whereas now it's a permanent war machine. Thanks Kosak.

Something similar occurred to me, as well.

The Warchief was head of the Horde, and the Horde had always been just the orcs. Trolls and Tauren were auxiliary forces in WC3, but not actually full-fledged Horde citizens/members.

I think the great confusion started when, in order to make the two-faction split happening, Horde and Alliance were used to name the coalitions.

>(insert Dindus here) were noble before getting corrupted into evul

So when will we get an evul species that was transformed (if not corrupted) into being noble?

the arakkoa

Does Lothraxion count?

Playable when

Kel'Thuzad

If he shows up in legion I will re-up my sub

Did these threads ever lead to anything but ally wanking and meme posting?

I was looking over the rules to the World of Warcraft RPG and, honestly, it looks like it wouldn't be as bad to play as I remember. Anyone have any actual experience with it, though?

>ally wanking

MMO Champion Nigger found.

You're hardly any better than him, you know.

What is the light? And why is Arthas such a dumbass in warcraft 3?

> And why is Arthas such a dumbass in warcraft 3?

They had to shill the Dindu Horde.

>every named Alliance character dies or goes raid boss except for Grassburner Jaina (who did what some ranting hobo said)

Remember Taelan, always.

The Light is one of the primordial forces of the Universe, juxtaposed by Shadow. Light is pure, just and an all round nice guy. Shadow is a dick.

Because Arthas was a petty manchild who wanted to win on his terms because he knew best and had fucking bitch tantrum mental breakdown over the fact that the Scourge wasn't a problem he was capable of fixing. The moment he had to be rescued by Uther at Hearthglen, the human race was basically doomed because their prince was too much of a baby to accept help like a man, and everything he did after that from Stratholm on was half-cocked half-baked bullshit who's actual goal was not to help his people, but to show how much bigger his penis was than his boss.

Don't buy that shit about "the road to hell being paved with good intentions," Arthas was always a prick.

The RoC manual even says Ner'zhul looked for dark souls and someone torn between light and darkness. Go figure he's rolling with the Scourge after Ner'zhul's spell wears off.

I'm confused about Val'sharah druids.

Have they...have they just been sitting there for 10000 years?

Malfurion mentions it is good to walk in Val'sharah after thousands of years. so he ain't been back there.

Druids there say Malfurion is a name they haven't heard in thousands of years,and that he was a friend and teacher to many of them.

But Val'sharah is also home to Warden towers and the like. The Moonguard is literally a zone away too, thinking they are the only remaining elves.

Was there a large chunk of Nelves remaining on the broken isles,and Maiev was too much of a bitch to ever tell anyone about them?

>Quilboar should be playable
>Quilboar should join the Horde

Night Elves have moved in and off the Broken Isles for years, but it's likely a lot of them are permanent residents. Considering that the Night Elves had some ambassadors in the court of Greymane in Gilneas even during the Second War, it makes sense there's some sort of waypoint between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.

Quillboars and centaurs are both hated enemies of the horde

>the Night Elves had some ambassadors in the court of Greymane in Gilneas even during the Second War
Say what?

This is the first time I hear this, as well, but I wouldn't be surprised at such retcons to be honest.

Malygos and Neltharion were the best before they got insane.
Ysera
Day of the Dragon Deathwing
Alexstrasza
Nozdormu
Murozond
NIGHTMARED.COM Ysera
Nexus War Malygos
Catclysm Deathwing

Quillboars should join the Alliance to fight the Horde.
And Gnolls should join the Horde to fight the Alliance. Their racial leader would be Hogger.

>Malygos and Neltharion were the best before they got insane.
I agree with you on Malygos, but have we ever seen Neltharion pre-corruption? He was already scheming back during the War of the Ancients.

Well, there always were Proto-Dragon Neltharion. And he were best friend of Malygos for ar reason.

To be honest, both sides pulled fucked up shit at various points, even to the members of their own faction or populations.

At the same time, using argument that WoD is a proof that Orcs were the same in main timeline is a stretch, due to the effect of changes in history that create bigger ripples.

I thought this guys were originaly good and then became corrupted by sargueras and now this is their original form or purified/upgraded form

Nathrezim and Annihilan were always demons.
Nathrezim mastered Shadow (Void) magic and liked to turn other races into demons.
Annihilan liked to enslave lesser demons and use them as fodder army.

By the light, it's still too soon...

Oh intredasting!

Now want to see a light-touched annihilian

That scene would've only been better if Durotan D'OH!'d

> Nathrezim and Annihilan were always demons.

Tichondrius drops an archaic Nathrezim artifact. The artifact is also light oriented.

You forget the part of both being able to be flipped into the other

Stormforged Lei Shen as a subordinante? Fuck Yeah.

His entry on Wowpedia reads like bad fanfiction.

>Lothraxion was sent to Azeroth in order to help protect it from the Burning Legion.
>Like his brethren, Lothraxion joined the Legion. However, he always hated his kind for their violence and sadism. For this, he was imprisoned and tortured by Balnazzar. He was eventually freed by High Exarch Turalyon, through whom he discovered the Light. Lothraxion was infused with Light energy, and sought his path to redemption through joining the Grand Army of the Light, an organization born from the survivors of worlds ravaged by the Legion and led by the naaru, of which Turalyon and Alleria are high-ranking members.

fuck me

The entire story of warcraft is just one bad fanfiction.

See, I understand that people want to give variety of character of every race that is sapient.

However Demons are a sapience born from malice. It's not like they're choosing to be assholes - It's a technical, mechanical means of survival for them as a species to be assholes.

Fine, under the assumption that all magics apparently can change you from the very makeup of your soul, a Nathrezim may be altered so he does not have to be a dick, anymore - But that still doesn't explain how one Dreadlord is suddenly against all other dreadlords in existence.

This is bullshit. It's beyond Drizzt levels of bullshit.

>All of that is full of [Citation needed]
This is likely as canon as pic related
LIVE, INSECT!

shit, forgot pic

May I introduce to you: the orb of chaos.
Chaos does not come naturaly to all demons, so some carry these orbs with them. Unclear how they are made.
Source: Archeology
So yeah, maybe demons, originating as spirits from the literal raw chaos that is the nether, might be born in pockets of low chaos, that should exist by definition, and thuuuus carry less within them. My guess at least.

There is no better proof that Blizzard is at its best when it's not worried about being EPIC(tm) and grandiose than Hearthstone. Their non-serious stuff is great 90% of the time (the exception being shit like Uldum and other lolsorandumb nonsense), but whenever they try to do "big boy" stuff things get awkward and cringeworthy.

Gul'dan is best orc, this is a fact and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong and probably a furfag of some variety

Good old days of Metzen artworks...

Another user, I agree.

Sylvanas before she was Rule 34 bait.

When was that?

Sometime around WC1's Alpha.

Few more Metzen works.
This is what the early Doomhammer looked like. Both the Orc and the hammer.

>In Manual of Beyond the Dark Portal all heroes of the Horde, and all heroes of the Alliance were in a group arts
>No luck in finding entire arts for years
damn it

>tfw suddenly they exist

I remember all of those. been a long while since that little boy was marveling at the printed version...
Makes me feel both old and young again.

>Trolls without tusks

Why did we stop having that? It was amazing.

Give 'em more pronounced canines, instead, and the jump towards delicious fang elves is complete.

>ywn visit the Temple of the Damned from Warcraft 1
Kosak's boner was for the wrong era of the Horde.
He even forgot how Grom used to be.

Because that was Axethrower/Spearthrower. Tusks were for Berserkers.

Yeah, and even then in WII's manual they said something about goblin alchemy and tribal sorcery changing them, which is why I suspect they got those tusks in the first place.

Isn't Hogger dead?

I am sure that Stockades just setback!

So was Illidindu.

The things I would do to this woman would drive her more insane than Deathwing.

Well you can't deny that Warcraft as a franchise past 3 hasn't ever been truly serious.