Veeky Forums approved podcasts

Give me your best and brightest Podcasts for anything tg related

Welcome to Night Vale - A news report that goes on it a town full of eldritch abominations and bizarre happenings

Hello from the magic tavern - A guy goes into a magical world (in many ways a magical realm) and interviews the weird beings that live there

Get ready for some shit. Night Vale is the worst possible choice you could've made for the OP. It's basically the Steven Universe/Gay Greek MTG Commander of Veeky Forums podcasts.

Fuck

I dont even wanna talk about Night Vale just want some suggestions

The Film Reroll is a podcast where they play through famous movies as GURPS adventures.

Archive 81, Limetown, and The Message are all sort of Delta Green / CoC-esque.

For non-fiction, Imaginary Worlds has some interesting episodes, although it's likely stuff that fa/tg/uys are already familiar with.

(Also don't listen to anybody who recommends Lore, The Black Tapes, or TANIS.)

Night Vale is sum gay shit.

Most tg podcasts are slightly annoying. Only one I enjoyed thoroughly was Nerd Poker but after the main DM leeaves, the game peters out.

I like Roll to Hit, because it feels like a couple of guys playing D&D, unlike stuff like GodsFall, which is too... serious.

First 25 episodes are entertaining, then it gets annoying and "lol randum" tumblr shit.

Shame, I really enjoy something like it, easy listening with a soft voice that I can listen while doing something else. People have suggested SAYER, but haven't had time to fully invest in it yet.

There's always the Adventure Zone.

The man didn't know about it, and all he wanted was Podcast suggestions. He listed Night Vale because, regardless of Veeky Forums's opinion, it's an incredibly popular podcast with Lovecraftian bits, so he thought most people on here would like it.
He made a mistake. Is that really enough for you to be this insulting of him?

Since you seem to be posting podcasts to avoid I'll continue.

Dungeon Master's Block for DMing tips, mainly fantasy focused. Top Level Podcast for competitive MtG, focus on Standard and Modern.

This. I love every episode they do. Especially their Bringing the Magic of Magic to D&D episodes.

Hello from the magic taverns actually pretty GOAT

Wouldnt have thought it from the first few episodes though but the quality ramps up pretty well

Oh shit man, I listen to about 40 hours of podcasts each week, so let me see if i can recommend a shitload of them to you.

>Black List Table Reads

Don't want to get caught mining ideas from popular media? Take a listen to these unproduced movie scripts! Everything from high-concept science-fantasy to insane 80's action movies are read by comedians, writers, and actors. Expect to laugh quite a bit at all the crazy plot holes and ludicrous character dialogue.

>Lore

This show is a deep dive into history, but with a focus on the narrow history of some specific places and individuals. There's a great amount of paranormal and adventurous hooks included there, things like the history and construction of the first penitentiary in America, and how it fell from being a religious institution focussed on rehabilitation to housing one of the most vile torture chambers in the United States.

>The Adventure Zone
A party of loons play through an elongated campaign in 4e D&D. It's good, because the GM is fucking brilliant in terms of game setting and concept.

>Stuff they don't want you to know
Conspiracies hoy. A bit swingy, but you could probably find a few good plots from things like "project Iceworm" and "The monster with 21 faces". Both hosts are rather extreme skeptics, but it's interesting to at least hear the theories.

The Lore one doesnt sound like something id be into but i'll definitely check out the others

Been meaning to try out The Adventure Zone for a while now so that re enforces it for me and the idea behind Black List Table Reads sounds really promising

The interviews they did with Ed Greenwood and that guy who made the commoner supplement for pathfinder were pretty neat shit.

Hello from the magic tavern looks kinda rad, gonna check it out

all really good suggestions

tangentially Veeky Forums-related at best but i've always dug the last podcast on the left. their alien/conspiracy episodes are usually entertaining.

I really enjoy 'Milkrun', the Shadowrun podcast. The DM is much more engaging than what I've heard in other Shadowrun podcasts and some of the characters are really great.

Some user mentioned Bards And Nobles one of the last threads so I checked them out. I'd say it worth a look if you don't mind that it's just kinda starting out so there's only like 4 or 5 episodes. Not humor based but still pretty amusing and fun to listen to since it truly is just listening to this group play dnd5e

Don't forget The Deep Vault, the other project from Dead Signals of Archive 81 fame

not but as well as Lore i'd recomend "GM word of the week", from the mad adventurers society, which is like Lore but more focused at rpg references - also the announcer has a voice of pure chocolate.

is it still obsessed with being gay?

The Gilmore Guys, not Veeky Forums but still great

Not really. I mean, we hear a lot of mush from Cecil about Carlos, but that feels more like the guy who can't shut up about his new Girl/Boyfriend. Then again, several of my friends are gay, so I may be desensitized.

The show just falls flat because it kind of repeats itself in a different way every time, while hinting at an overarching plot. It's kind of gong the way of Phineas and Ferb.

I'll throw my lot in for Drunk and the Ugly. They got me interested in Eclipse Phase and Call of Chthulu

Pluto Moved On podcast

Plutomovedon.com

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Adventure Zone. It's really just super fucking fun & cool.

My main game is Call of Cthulhu keep that in mind.

Dedicated CoC podcasts
>Good Friends of Jackson Elias
>Skype of Cthulhu
>Miskatonic University Podcast

For spooky lore and ideas try
>Blurry Photos
It's a funny /x/ like podcast that covers all sorts of conspiracies and paranormal things.

I suggest Fantasy Fiction and Tales From the Tavern for your comedy/fantasy needs. Take your common fantasy tropes, crank them up to 100.

THAC0's Hammer

Legitimately funny and they usually talk about a range of good stuff.

Patrician taste

Not an MTG player myself, but I've heard good things about TapTapConcede.

Although I haven't been keeping up with it I love the actual plays of the The Arcology Podcast, some of the characters are hit and miss but I love the guy who plays kenji.

WELCOME TO TUMBLR.

The only one I listen to is Order 66. It's all about the new Star Wars RPG line, and it helped me a lot with figuring out what to do with the weird die results. A lot of the episodes also have members of FFG's RPG team as guest stars, which is neat.

Hello from the Magic Tavern is college improv club tier garbage. They break constantly, can't remember characters and plots for longer than the episode they are introduced, barely scratch the surface of their references, etc. Every decent improv show has a structure and goal and fills the holes.

Now this guy gets it.

I'll post my subscriptions
Fiction Podcasts:
>Archive 81
A guy is hired to listen to interviews of tenants in an apartment and it quickly becomes apparent that something strange was happening there.
>ars PARADOXICA
Sally Grissom acidentally invents time travel and winds up on the deck of the USS Eldridge in the 1940s. She's plucked up by the US government and "forced" to work for a group competing with the Manhattan Project.
>Elder Sign
After having a mental breakdown and getting kicked of the force a Seattle Police officer turned PI is called back to solve a gruesome murder that has other worldly implications. Lovecraftian horrors abound
>EOS 10
A young doctor is sent to a far off space station to get the current doctor back on track after he lapses into alcoholism
>Greater Boston
Vaguely connected stories set in a surreal version of Boston
>Hello from the Magic Tavern
Arnie was going through a Burger King drive-through when he gets sent to the magical land of Foon where he hosts a podcast with a wizard and a talking badger
>Limetown
A scientist builds a city to further human capacity and one day every single citizen disappear. The niece of one of the disappeared hunts down clues as to what happened
>MarsCorp
E.L Hob accepts a job to work as head supervisor on a mission to teraform Mars but when she's woken up from cryo she finds things are very different then she expected
>Noir Barbare
What if Conan the Barbarian was a noir detective?
>Radiation World
Life in an underground bunker after the apocalypse.
>Return Home
Johnathan Barker gets a mysterious phone call to return home to Melancholy Falls, NJ where supernatural shenanigans run amok.

The Adventure Zone is great if you're after a D&D actual-play. At first, I wasn't that interested until the DM moved onto his own content (away from Mines of Phandelver). From there on out it's nothing but improvement. Quality DMing and solid goofs and characterisation throughout. When that podcast hits my feed it's an instant listen, every time.

>Skald
Maul, The One True King of Man, is betrayed and tied to the World Tree made to suffer for all time. To escape he makes a deal with a sinister force but now must travel between the Sundered Realms to return to his throne. Each story is told not read, that might not make sense but you can tell the difference while listening
>Spire
An ivory spire stretches into the sky, inside an entire city lies. Our heros, Vippo and Ghent who are a thugish woman looking to make her way in the big city and a failed magician turned con man, are hired by the Collegium to "aquire" books.
>The Behemoth
One day a massive monster walks out of the Atlantic and makes it's way across America.
>The Box
A woman finds a mysterious box full of strange stories at her job at a bookstore. As she reads them she falls deeper into the rabbit hole.
>The Bridge
Tales of life as a travel agent on the Trans-Atlantic Bridge that connects America and Europe
>The Bright Sessions
Psychiatric recordings for superpowered individuals
>The Dead Authors Podcast
H.G Wells uses his time machine to interview dead authors in front of a live audience
>The Deep Vault
A group of survivors try to navigate a deadly bunker after the apocalypse
>The Magnus Archives
The recordings of statements made by witnesses of paranormal activities. The stories are vaguely connected and come together over the series.
>Twilight Histories
You are a tourist through time and parallel histories. Journey through everything from Italy during the plague and to a world where Caesar was never killed.
>Vault of Lovecraft
Readings of Lovecrafts body of work

The homophobes hate Welcome to Night Vale since the narrator is literally gay

Nerd Poker is pretty damn great and I hope it comes off hiatus sometime and they get Gerry Dugan back after he's done writing Deadpool. Also Sara needs to come back too

Gaming Podcasts
>Crit Juice
D&D real play with drinking game rules. You can submit rules for them to do.
>Ghostbusters: Resurrection
A real play of the Ghostbusters RPG from the 80s. They overhauled the game adding new items and systems that you can buy from them. Big on Ghostbuster continuity and has crossover episodes with other 80s horror stuff.
>Never Tell Me the Odds
Actual play of the Star Wars RPG. Rotating cast and storylines.
>Pokeballs of Steelix
A homebrew pokemon game. Silly but can be fun.
>Pretend Wizards
D&D actual play. Fun to listen to but nothing ever happens. It's been like 3 years and 4 days have passed in game.
>The Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program
Actual play of The Call of Cthulhu RPG. Spooky story with interesting characters and pretty cool music at the end of each episode.
And that's all my subscription

Fiction podcasts?
Let me add some.

>The Orbiting Human Circus (of the Air)
Follows the life of the (possibly schizophrenic) janitor at the eiffel tower, and the impossible radio show broadcast from the ballroom at the very top of said tower. Expect tap dancing mice, storytelling crickets, and a bird who can mimic 43 instruments (it feels that the viola is beneath it).
>Within the Wires
Overtly lesbian! Set in a dystopian alternate pseudo-present, a "patient" being held against her will in a disturbing mental hospital is helped to escape by the relaxation tapes that the orderlies force her to listen to... and the non-stranger who recorded them for her.
>Billy West Podcast
If you ever want to run an insane story arc, you can hardly do worse than having your PCs be kidnapped by their 9-year-old-CEO/boss and his Slovenian mafia subordinates to go look at christmas lights, in March, before convincing the Slovenian mafia (with driver: Uncle Uber) to make a side-trip to the hollywood cemetery to exhume the bones of Bing Crosby for a good old fashioned game of pickup skull hockey. If you aren't laughing your ass off, you'll be cribbing notes from the Billy Bastard segments.

>>Limetown
Can't wait for it to continue

>Can't wait for it to continue
It's never going to, they are trying to pitch it as a TV show.

>Nobody could POSSIBLY dislike the content of this program - it must be because they are [buzzword]phobic!

Keep on memein' on, you master baiter.

Within the Wires isn't lesbian. The narrator explicitly states the listener is male

That one hasn't really captured my imagination the way Archive 81 did, but the production quality is great (especially by podcast standards).

Lame. Oh well

I don't love the podcast itself, but I am intensely jealous of TGFoJE for jumping on that great name.

One Shot and Campaign are both pretty fun. One Shot is a podcast where they do...well...one shots of various systems. It's a bit comedic but not always in a good way. It's kinda hit and miss with the good episodes being really good and the bad ones just cringeworthy.

Campaign is from the same people, except they do a campaign of Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. It's pretty fun.

Roleplay Public Radio is also really good. Their "Know Evil" campaign got me interested in Eclipse Phase and they have a really good Delta Green campaign called "God's Teeth."

well, are they wrong?

Most of the complaints I hear from people that don't like it is because of the high levels of Gay in it.

I've lost interest since the whole "The Devil is a beagle puppy who wants Nothing" arc

Yeah it sucks but maybe they'll make a cool show.
It's been terrible since the end of the Desert Bluffs arc.

>end of the Desert Bluffs
That was definitely the downpoint

Er, The listener is physically described as having breasts. It's female.

They refer to the listener as a young boy when they talk about the history between the narrator and the listener.

Men have breasts, by the way. It's also another word for chest. (And I believe the context is along the lines of "breath in through your best" is a general location)

No, here's the issue. It's mediocre, but unique enough to have a good following. If it were just that it would be the end of it.

Then we have the Gay issue, which just pushes people over the edge on it.

Same with Steven Universe, same with the new Commander release.

Which is fine, really, because they went on vacation pretty much instantly after that arc.

That said: old woman josie is probably going to die of old age... but the voice actress they got for her didn't sound like an old woman Josie, more like a 40-ish year old woman.

The five headed dragon escaped jail, but the innocent violet head was shot and killed.

There was an episode where all the audio was shifted to the right channel, because a horrible creature was stalking people and they wanted you to keep one ear open..

But yeah, not much has happened since the dog arc ended.

I kinda got tired of how random it seemed to be. Nothing seemed to have impact or weight. As a homo, the gayness was cute at first but got tiring later on.

Yeah, it seemed to be aimless after that.
During the cafe scene you are definitely describe as a woman

is there anything good in the eclipse phase department? recently ordered the core rulebook and decently interested. also, great thread overall.

Damn it, now i'm reading transcripts for evidence to which gender the listener was. I hope you're happy, Clippy.

>innocent violet head was shot and killed

>well, are they wrong?

You know better. I can say 'yes' and it would be correct, but just as disingenuous as your rhetorical premise and it's accuracy.

What's wrong with these guys?

Found it: casette #8, The cafe scene:

"You do not tell her why you know her so well. You lie in order to rebuild these memories in you. You do not tell her about the memories that fill you. It is not known if you eventually planned to tell her of those memories. Lies are difficult to replace without people noticing. You do not tell her you are her sister."

Little thing, but The Adventure Zone is a 5e campaign, not a 4e one.

I love Nightvale

That's the problem. It's a absolute Skub. We can't decide whether to like or hate it as a majority.

Great big cockloving homofag, here. Nightvale got really obnoxious with its virtue signaling. Cecil being obsessed with Carlos was cute, sure, and it was funny listening to this normally dour radio host swoon like a high school girl, but then the show started to become ABOUT that. And it was such a transparent appeal to the Tumblr crowd that it really turned me off. It's a shame. I really liked the show and it was really unique, I just wish it had gone in another direction.

Of course, me not liking the show is clearly internalized homophobia, so please disregard any sort of well thought out criticism I might have and call me a bigot.

King Falls is the better fake radio show.

Can we just accept that it exists? This isn't MLP or Furry levels of hate, after all. I hate most rap and hip-hop music, but hearing ghetto-glory don't make me rage.

>great big cockloving homofag.

You wouldn't happen to play Rugby, would you?

Adventure Zone is the best shit

I'm not THAT gay, honey.

This is Veeky Forums son. We don't ignore things. We argue them until we have examined it from every angle and emotional standpoint, and then because 5 people didn't make it to the first argument, we do it all over again.

Currently listening bro. Jenkins is bae.

Roll for Initiative - Where 1e is the place to be

The Lore podcast is pretty cool. I don't really listen to anything that's Veeky Forums specific so can't suggest anything else.

Alright, while we're at it how does the MTG Gay Greek Powercouple Commander look? Steven Universe? How much is actually good, and how much is tumblr sellout?

I've lived to serve the people and I have NEVER been treated like this!

Poor bastard.

>because 5 people didn't make it to the first argument, we do it all over again

Anyone want to talk about how the alignment system fits in to real character development and personality?

The deck is fine. Not spectacular, but fine.

The gay greeks are probably about 40% sellout. WoTC loves sucking those tumblr cocks.

Nah. We're currently arguing about SJW shit. Post it tomorrow and we'll definitely be up for it though.

I've been listening to this one. They are short but the guys know what they are talking about.
Also, podcast apps need a "shuffle into playlist in chronological order" for new subscriptions

The guy you actually asked, here: The Gay Kings are fine, mechanically. I'm gonna stick with my Gahiji deck for group hugs, but I do see the appeal. Thematically? Yeah, LGBT shit is en vogue right now, so that's why it actually exists, sure. But as to how they implemented it? Seems fine. It's another couple card. This one is just two men. Shit, I'm surprised it wasn't two women, since lesbians are the family friendly, feel good gays. And the Greeks had a view of sexuality that was much less black and white than ours, so it makes sense thematically.

As for Steven Universe, I watched one season and never felt the need to go back. Can't really comment. It came off a little too... twee for me. I don't know. Didn't do it for me.

also homo. It was funny at the start because I thought that there was going to be some plot twist about the narrator being attracted to Carlos based on his early descriptions. The relationship stuff was really, really annoying and eventually the narrator just started to sound like that annoying friend that wont shut the fuck up about their new SO. The worst bits were when it tried to get all serious and emotional with them talking over the phone. I was never invested in their relationship in the first place, and neither one of the characters came off as interesting or likable.

Yeah, it went from Strange Fiction to a character drama. Really poorly done character drama.

WHY DO YOU HATE CHARACTER DRAMA YOU BIGOT?!

Not posting best moment.

Can I call you a bigoted faggot?

The prefered term is figgot.

What's your gripe with tanis user?
It's certainly got its flaws, but I think it's decent

He also hates Lore, so I can only assume it's some sort of traumatic brain injury.

Not them, I love Black Tapes and Tanis, but I can see how someone can get tired of the Serial-ization of podcasts.

Lore is a dude reading Wikipedia to you. Garbage.

TANIS is less bad than TBT, definitely, but both of them are neat ideas badly written (the interminable "...and it was [x]." "[x]? What's [x]?" "You haven't heard of [x]?" expository exchanges, the wheel-spinning plot attenuation, the stagnant characterization, etc.).

Confirmed