/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

Tumbling Down Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/lfbawnl8buxaoc3

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/vyv56zze9m828d2

If playing a game set in the Great Crusade, is it better to have the players be all of the same Legion, or a set of diverse chucklefucks a la Knights Errant?

Depends on the story to tell. I like all of the same legion since the legions were bigger and allowed for more diversity. However, if doing Istvaan or any multi-legion clusterfuck, then I recommend allowing them to play the appropriate legions.

Do grenade launchers still follow the scatter rule?

Any weapon with the blast quality does.

if the grenade has the blast, yes

>a player named their plague marine Magnus
I'm going to have so much fun with this

>a bunch of lost and confused 1ksons begin following him

First time poster, uh...is this the place where you request pdfs of 40K novels and codexes, or should I be somewhere else?

Please don't bite me.

Was that intentional or did he seriously not know?

No, that's the other general. This one's for the RPG.

Ah, thank you very much.

If I ever get the chance to play Deathwatch, I am totally going to play a Black Shield Librarian named Magnus...

He's not a 40K player, so he probably has no idea.

>in other news, confused furries in power armour have been found following tanks across the galaxy
Because no one before or after the primarchs ever shared a name, right?

>"Hey, you're one of the new recruits, right? Welcome to the regiment. What's your name, son?"
>"Horus."

Magnus is special, though, because through magical bullshit, he got himself fragmented into a bunch of pieces that wound up wandering the galaxy independently (and sometimes fighting each other).

That would be similar to someone being named Kain or Judas.

More like "Satan"

>somewhere out there is a Flesh Tearer Marine named Angron
>he's resigned to staying away from the veteran marines because every time they hear shit like "Angron's getting pissed!" they start having flashbacks

There have been plenty of Black Legionnaires who chose the name. Some of them haven't been wholly too overconfident they could live up to the name.

How often does the average person know it's called the Horus Heresy, anyway? Just because it's well known by the player base doesn't mean it's well known in setting, unless you're talking about people with access to forbidden lores.

And? It's still a name, right? If Magnus had turned his name into some kind of memetic parasite, then I'd be 100% like, "damn son, make them rethink that shit."

If you're a damn chaos space marine, you've at least heard of some of it.

Why is unaligned so much worse in Black Crusade? Seems they'd be good all-rounders to me.

The gods of Chaos don't like fence sitters.

Wow. That'd be why those are two separate points about entirely different groups, plus;
>Some of them haven't been wholly too overconfident they could live up to the name.
So no shit, Sherlock.

>haven't been wholly too overconfident

You know this makes no sense, right?

Going by the IG regiment generator on 1d4chan.

What is a "siege" regiment? Artillery is it's own thing.

I can guess that you haven't made sense of it.

Trench digging and front line sitting.

b-but abbydon

Well I'm sure what you meant to post was either
>have been too overconfident
or
>haven't been too confident

Because as it stands you essentially said
>they weren't overconfident
So...they were appropriately confident, then?

Is English not your first language?

This raises an issue. Does the average citizen know about the HH? If Emp is a god and gods are infallible, does the Ministorum even mention Emp's biggest failure?

Nope, I wrote precisely what I meant.

>Nope, I meant to write something nonsensical

Ok, glad we cleared that up.

We certainly did clear up something.

Most of them who know anything about the past of the Imperium know about the Great Betrayer, Horus.
Who in arrogance and hatred at his father rebelled and attempted to burn the Imperium to ground.
And how the Emperor smote him low for the good of mankind.

>Does the average citizen know about the HH?
No, it's a Forbidden Lore.

Fortunately, in DH2e, scatter is only 1d5m, so you will likely still slap your initial target.

I'm sure a great many know how the emperor cast down a great evil at the end of the crusades, and was placed on the golden throne, but I doubt even a fraction know about the truth of the traitor legions, let alone that the evil was the warmaster horus.

The truth about the Traitor Legions is doubtless forbidden knowledge.
However I wouldn't doubt that they would put a name to the greatest Heretic who ever lived.

Horus.
He who betrayed Mankind.

The feast of the Emperor's Ascension is the Imperium's equivalent to Christmas and commemorates when Emp got put on the Golden Throne and became a god.
I'm assuming the story includes the reason he got put on the throne.

It has been like that since 1e.

So what happens when their specialization is guerille warfare? Particularly, from a hive world that on top of that had urban as it's most predominant terrain?

Sneaky Vietcong hive tunneling?

I really feel like I jumped the shark in my Rogue Trader game.
Like, I'm not worried by presenting ridiculous shit, because the whole setting is ridiculous. But what I gave my players was pretty fucking silly and somewhat lore-raping.

Do I just run with it and accept that shit's going to get silly? I probably shouldn't retcon, that feels bad for both me and the players.

I'm really just winding myself up because it was a pretty rookie mistake in terms of presenting an encounter to the party. It was also inadvertently railroady, but mostly because I chose not to stick to my plans.

Then they get sent into a type of war for which they're ill suited. The overall battlefield commanders will decide if the regiment gets to do anything that takes advantage of their equipment or training, or if they'll just get tossed into the meat grinder.

Happens all the time. Catachans get garrison duty while Kriegsmen get to hunt Eldar through a swamp.

>But what I gave my players was pretty fucking silly and somewhat lore-raping.

Details?

What are your best Deathwatch stories? I need inspiration.

I threw an encounter at them which was basically a ship from the first human expansions into space about 37,000 years ago. Was based on some Event Horizon concept art. The ship claimed to have some crew in stasis.
Then they dicked around and pissed the ship off enough until they activated a War a.i. and then the ship fucked off.

Unsatisfying for me because I should have just stuck to my first ideas about the ship already being infected by daemons, and unsatisfying for the players because a whole session was spent with no real result except for a little bit of combat.
Oh yeah and they contacted the inquisition so now the Traders have this problem to deal with.

i'm gonna fuck you up [cb]

I thought it was 1d10+DoS in 1e?

Nope. You might be thinking of some other thing of something else like the Indirect quality.

Don't retcon shit, because the players are the ones who are responsible for what happened.
Just backburner it. They can't find the ship, it shows up nowhere, etc.
Then, when they are having a bad moment, BAM, daemons in your shit.
Or better, when they are traversing the Warp, RAMMING SPEED BITCH.
Oops.
I owe mike an apology, but I'll never see him again.

Guerrilla and Siege are two separate regiment training doctrines.

>GM has us run into EVE Online ships
>Our ships instantly obliterated from further away than we can fight back at
>We barely escape with one player dead

I feel like the GM wants the game to end

Runty hive ganger scum and possibly mutant that mostly excels going fast, shooting, being a little sneaky maybe, and being a cheeky cunt.

When juggling aptitudes, apart from all the usual ballistic skill, agility, finesse, fieldcraft, defence and likely also perception, I'll probably have an aptitude or two left if I skip perception. So what should I pick up for the last one?

WS or offence to throw down in CC if need be, toughness to be a surprisingly tough cookie, tech for a little bit more craftiness, or do I dump perception for a social+fellowship combo and apply actual game mechanics to being a smart mouth?

Leaning a bit towards toughness or social combat at the expense of perception atm.

I have yet to be in a game where vehicles actually played a part outside being disposable, unfortunately, but I've had a wheelman in the works for a long time.
Don't worry about WS, because you can pistol shoot in melee, so go full John Wick if you are in CC.
Only go face if there are no other talky fucks, because mutant will work against you socially too damn hard.

Cool, thanks, down to a choice between toughness or perception and sure kill or move and shoot.

Depending on your Agility+Dodge and WS+Parry compare, a single rank in parry with a best-quality shield would help against attacks in close combat as you'd get an effective +25 to parry attempts.

Take perception, get yourself a fucking auspex.
Lead room clearing with a good autopistol, and keep a rifle, preferably las, on your back.
You'd be served taking operate skills anyway, being the driver need not be a dedicated thing.
He isn't a breacher, man, he's a runnin', gunnin' pistolero. I prefer to play DH like it's Shadowrun, helps players understand the mindset.
If he is in melee, he either fucked up or the teams beatstick isn't doing their fucking job.

The War AI activated, right?

And surely, a war AI is much more susceptible to the whispers of Daemons.

And it has some delicious, unspoiled humans whose souls it can trade for Power.

>planet liberated by the Lunar Wolves during the Great Crusade
>every child is named Horus.
>warp storm, planet is isolated from the Imperium for a few millenia
>Horus Heresy takes place.
>warp stom disappears
>ork waaagh on the planet is repelled by the valiant general Horus DeBussy, which at this point as become a very old fashioned first name
>every child is named Horus, again.
>Rogue Trader rediscovers the planet, they join the Imperium.
>First IG regiment as part of the tithe.
>What's your name son?
>Horus, commissar sir. After the great hero.

Btw, isn't the Horus Heresy and existence of CSM supposed to be censored?

The average person would likely know that the Emperor had a number of sons (20 or 18, depending) and the greatest of them, Horus, betrayed the Emperor and caused the great heresy.

Which is why every citizen needs to be wary, for even the greatest of the Imperium is capable of dangerous thoughts and dark deeds.

'cept the Inquisition, they're all cool and you should totally do what they say at all times.

It's only my point of view, but I think traitors work in christian religion because all humans are sinners and God is a forgiving one. But in the imperial creed, where the human form is perfect, and everyone is at the right place, and the most important thing is not to make waves, not so much.
Wouldn't it send a bad message that one of the highest beings in the imperium rebelled and actually achieved something ("the great heresy" has a certain flair, after all)? It could give some ideas to unsatified people.

Horus was found lacking and so the Emprah struck him down? Sure.
Horus rebelled against his father? Meh.

/autistic rant

Why does the 2nd ed DH book bother describing the "Lance" weapon quality and then not actually have any weapons with it? It's not even in the supplement books either?

The dark eldar in Enemies Without have weapons with the lance quality as does the Keeper of Secrets in Enemies Beyond.

A big fluff re-shift that happened around the time Daemons got their own codex.
Undivided used to be a legitimate faction, servants of lesser gods and those that worship chaos as a pantheon and bind together disparate forces for the glory of Chaos.
Then GW decided there should just be the big 4 and no one except Abaddon should do the undivided schtick.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan, as I feel like old fluff gave more options and made it clear that Abaddon didn't have the Mark of Chaos Undivided, but the Mark of all the Chaos Gods.

Probably changed it do "demons and Chaos possessed Horus and made him rebel" or something. Give internal subversion an appearance of outside influence.

A how are noise marines in BC?
I wanna play a marine dedicated to slaanesh but it seems they are made for social and dodging
Can I make a good heavy gunner out of noise marine or just roll a champion?

They're pretty shooty and also good at not being surprised due to all the bonuses they get toward hearing.

This is where the setting's antibodies against change kick in. The planet would be purged, its original inhabitants erased from history, and new colonists imported to make Hive World #548967. Status quo preserved.

nah, the number of people named Horus would spontaneously make the warp shit out deamons for no other reason than that and then it would be purged, etc.

So, for DH 2 i made a custom role, and wanted some feed back:
Shaman WP, Per, Int, Knowlage, Feildcraft
Resistance (fear)/Jaded
May buy psynessience and counts as having 2 apps for it. When rolling for cor/ins may re-roll the dice. Second result stands

what do you guys think

How would you fluff a Forgeworld that specializes in making Exterminatus weapons?

I was thinking of making an investigation focused around one such planet. My idea was for the populace to be very dour and depressing, seeing their work as un-honorable. Taking some inspiration from the reactions pf the guys who made the atomic bomb to its eventual detonation.

Also, would it be reasonable to say that such a planet's true purpose would be such an incredible well kept secret? Was going to have the party start in the dark about what the planet makes, with anyone they ask responding with just "munitions."

From what I have understood about the 40k world, the higher ups hide the entire horus heresy. It was 10k years ago, so thats not too hard. In my understanding they hide it because they don't want to make themselves look bad. Imagine if they knew the angels of the Emp' could go bad and fuck their shit. This is implying they know dick all about space marines in the first place. I imagine the average citizen knows "The Emperor is a god who keeps us safe, I need to love him or bad things happen. Mutants and heretics are bad people and we should shun or kill them."

Probably an ancient world with ties to the Ordo Reductor, or other militant sect of the Cult Mechanicus. An exteminatus forge world would keep that shit on lock down, because that paints a big fucking target on their back for anyone who wants to fuck shit up. They'd probably be more well known for their hardcore Titan legion, because they'd have to have top defenses even with the secrecy thing. The common people wouldn't know, they just think they produce munitions for Titans or some the Naval fleets.

Sounds good. I'll probably keep the "munitions" bit to the higher ups who really know what's going on.

Interaction with Titan legion members could be fun. I imagine most Princeps and Moderati look down on humans and act all high and mighty. Could see a clash of egos with the Inquisition.

Next point: Inquisitor based off of a wild west bounty hunter ala The Man with No Name, good idea or bad idea?

My group is going to try out BC in two weeks. The way our gm does games he has us draw straws linked to a general aspect of character creation to provoke inspiration. In this case it's race, and I drew one of the two space marines.

The others have all finished their sheets already and the lineup so far fits classical architypes. Face, psyker, tech priest, and the combat monster. This gives me some wiggle room to do whatever with my marine, just don't know what yet.

The idea I have is he's in some way prefers more mobile tactics then regular CSMs, but I didn't want to do a straightforward meleeing Raptor. Anyone got any interesting fluff or original ideas that could suit him? Related note, were those bikes sometimes used by marines ever statted?

Ok so I need a little help figuring this shit out.
The Interrogation entry on Only war says:
>Interrogation is always an Opposed Test, pitting the character’s Intimidation Skill against an opponent’s Willpower.
>Intimidation skill

I checked the errata and there was no revision. So if its just an opposed intimidate check whats the point of actually putting points into interrogation?

Be D-D-D-D-DOOOOOOMRIDER!
Just be a csm version of Roxo the clown

>The Fenris system of the Space Wolves is ravaged by Daemons, the Inquisition are purging the citizens of Fenris with Logan Grimnar's blessing, while Midgardia is destroyed, left a plague-meteor storm.
>The Dark Angels' secret is out, everyone knows about the Fallen now.
>The Planet of the Sorcerors of the 1kSons is now in realspace, shitting warp everywhere
>The ENTIRE Space Wolves fleet is destroyed, the few remaining Space Wolves hitching a ride with the DA to Cadia.
>ALL the Daemon Primarchs are awake and joined the Black Crusade on Cadia.
>The Sisters of Silence were literally held in the Emperor's basement, they're let out now due to the Primarch problems.

FFG's books take place about 200 years before the current clusterfuck, but if you're playing a "modern" game, how will this affect your game?

Intimidate is mean charm
Intetgogation is used for information
Both strait foreward and subtlety
Also how does plague marine square up?
Just as melee tank or heavy gunner?

I woudl expect arbites everywhere, so that no dangerous component is smuggled out of the system. Customs monitors checking every bolt of approaching ships, and stasi-like intel networks.
And the techpriests probably have a bigger stick in their ass than on other forgeworlds. The security protocols to ensure that no error makes the planet implode must be tremendous.
Maybe compartimentized production? Manufactoria A produces one piece, manufactoria B another, Manufactoria recieve unlabelled crates where they have to assemble component B and component A, and so on. that way nobody ever knows how to make the weapon (or even how it looks like and what iits purpose is).

I would play it as intimidate skill would be used for like "where is the key?" "what's the passcode?" while interrogate would be "outline your battle plans" and "draw a map including all defenses to the grimdark mcguffin of power"

Its about immediacy, intimidate gets you a phrase, or an action maybe (run away or something) while interrogate gives you an hour + of detailed info.

It seems to me that it's a typo.
In RT it's Interrogation skill vs. WP.

Yeah seems like a typo. Maybe they stopped support before they could discover it and errata it.

There's gonna be one sad doggo-nought when he finds out. He's already got a deathwish, this might push him over.

Why do puppies have to grow up?

For to make more pupper

This is the way things are.

what the fuck

what did GW do

They just destroyed the whole reason for SW and DA existing

Does anyone have a Rogue Trader Faith and Coin non-scan PDF? Is it even worthwhile to grab it?

Nope, but someone put up an indexed scan in a previous thread.

You got a link, friendo?

Depends on whether you're talking pbp or something like skype or discord.

I'm not your friendo, pally.

So is it just me or does the Sergent's aptitudes in OW not synergies AT ALL?

Maybe. Would you like to provide any information that supports your opinion?

Is there any way to make a heretek that acquires the obliterator virus over the course of an RT game?

Sure. You can speak with your GM.

So when's End Times here

For a newish group to the system, is there anything to actually base it off of or a source for it in books?