Terrain General

Can we get a DIY Terrain thread going?

I'll start. I'm a poorfag in college trying to get back into playing some Warhammer 40k (or really anything wargammimg) and am reading to get back into it at school. My buddy back home and I play games typically involving investigating A Space Station or Hulk and figuring out what happened to it. (This is a homebrew game set in W40K that kinda takes from spacehulk, W40K and some RPG elements). Long story short I want to keep playing at school and need advice on any terrain involving a big ministerial space station or craft. If you have pictures of this feel free to dump.

Other urls found in this thread:

wab-ramblings.blogspot.ca/2016/06/making-zone-mortalis-board-cheaply.html
tabletop-world.com/index.php
gravengames.co.uk/the-governors-palace-gaming-board-for-warhammer-40k-and-zone-mortalis/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fuck year, the /terg/ threads we had a few months back were A+++

>cheap space station terrain
Google around for budget Zone Mortalis boards. Depending on how poverty you want to go there'll be something to give you an appropriate method.

I believe this is just plasticard and some plastic thread spools.

Thanks mate.

or in this case, foamular/dense insulation foam blocks. With some textured plasticard on the floors and a bit of extra work adding details, they won't look half bad and will still be plenty cheap.

I think the standard way of doing it is just making a bunch of [generic-ish spaceship walls] and slapping them down on an appropriately detailed gaming mat.

Looks fine, and is easily portable because it's basically just a bunch of thin pieces.
wab-ramblings.blogspot.ca/2016/06/making-zone-mortalis-board-cheaply.html

no problem, dude

now I'm going to hit the sack because fuck whoever put me on morning shift on a sunday

That is some awesome.

I have a metric fuck ton of old megabloks dragons stuff in boxes somewhere tat im thinking of using for terrain

The castle walls are very gothic looking, perfect for imperium, maybe ill make modular buildings

Do it

I post these sexy bastards every chance I can get.

tabletop-world.com/index.php

Bumping with a modular jungle table a friend of mine built years ago. He built it, gave it away to a friend when he joined the army, then it does a tour around the various gaming clubs of the region for years until finally it ends up in the terrain collection of Jolt Games, one of Canberra's newest games and hobbies stores.

We're playing a game of warzone on it in these pics, he still hasn't painted his Capitol army.

And picture 2.

Looks nice, but it seems like it would be hard to play on.

Here is some stuff I scratch built for my WarmaHordes games. The flat piece is meant to be a forest with some removable-trees sitting on it.

You'd be right to say that, it's not a table that is 40k/mass battle 28mm friendly. Hell, anything more than 30 models a side and it gets messy, just like a real jungle fight.

It's one of my favourite boards to play on because of that. Sadly I don't get to play nearly as much as I like.

Wow perfect timing. Was just thinking about starting a Zone Mortalis project for Kill Team/HOR/custom Space Hulk.

Being inspired from this dude's table: gravengames.co.uk/the-governors-palace-gaming-board-for-warhammer-40k-and-zone-mortalis/

I can't believe he actually made sliding doors.

I love building terrain, unfortunately I'm poor as fuck and terrain building is arguably more expensive than just collecting armies.

terrain building is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be

Put enough time and effort into cardboard scrap and bits of foam and they'll look better than most purchased terrain.

I like my shit looking fucking diorama quality. Plasticard and aquarium plants ain't cheap.

Fucking sexy indeed

Buuuuuump.

Post more stufffff.

Problem with building to diorama standards is the detail often ends up quite fragile and not really suitable for games tables.

I wasn't so much thinking about how many models one might be using as much as I was thinking about all that fixed terrain.

If all the terrain on that table was kinda like pic-related, stuff that you could pick up and then put back down, I might like it better and it would definitely be easier to play on.

The base board of the terrain marks out where the entire forest/bush terrain is and the individual trees can be picked up out of the way if you want. This makes playing a game much easier while maintaining a great looking board.

All that built-in terrain seems like it might make things a bit more annoying. Looks great, but seems unnecessary.

Bump

well shit, that's my flgs.
small world hey

Don't know how many of you guys do Armies on Parade, but what do you make your boards out of? I want to do a 2x2 Imperial Palace room with pillars and balconies.

where are all the plants from? i would love to make my own small board like this.

Those are various fish-tank plants. You can probably find several web sites with loads of different colors / types if you want something that looks unearthly instead of 'Terran Standard' Jungle.

I'd recommend checking ebay, can get shitloads of them cheap. Way cheaper than buying at pet stores and the like.

Just gotta pull them apart and stick down, a hot glue gun is really good for this.

Thanks i found a lot of cheap stuff on ebay. For the ground was it just pva glue and sand and flock?

Sure is, chummer, it sure is.
The board breaks up into sections, so you can rearrange it as you like. On the one hand it's less fiddly than having stands of trees to shuffle around, on the other it's heavy as balls and doesn't have as much variance as floating terrain pieces does.

Anyone got any Nurgle or Viking inspired terrain? Eithers great

WorldWorks Games was how I got my best work done, but now they're gone, it's just so unfair.

Anyone have any good Youtube channels that give tutorials on terrain building?
Currently I watch The Terrain Tutor but that's about it.

>WorldWorks Games
Holy shit, I literally just googled them after posting this to see if their site was back up (there's like two things left that I want to buy) and not only is it back up, they just announced a permanent 25% off sale for everything on their store. Sad to see them go, but nice to see them back.

>Mel "You can slap a Jap" Bose
He's great.

What game is this for?

I think it was a demo table for Dystopian Wars