>How did you do?
>What did you play?
>What should be banned?
>What should be unbanned?
>What should stay banned?
>What should stay legal?

I'll start

>Did you go to FNM?
No. I stayed home with my daughter and watched Wreck It Ralph and had Pizza because my wife went out of town.
>How did you do?
>What did you play?
>What should be banned?
Mutagenic Growth, maybe Conflagrate
Jace TMS
Deathrite Shaman
>What should stay legal?
Most of Dredge, I wish WotC would limit things to some number of copies but people are too dumb to keep track of this card being at one copy while this other card is at three copies, according to Wizards.

>Did you go to FNM?
Yes
>How did you do?
0-2 vs. Bant Eldrazi
0-2 vs. Tron
Got a bye for the third round
>What did you play?
Zoo variant that was way to slow.
>What should stay legal?
Bloodmoon

>FNM
fnm is only draft at my lgs but i got some games with a guy who was waiting for that. He was on dredge and had some awful draws as i won like 3 preboard games with delver. Then with grishoalbrand i killed him on turn 3 then on turn 2 so his draws didn't matter... he wasn't too pleased

>banned
nothing

>unbanned
idk about "should" but i wanna see twin, bloom, seething song, depths, hypergenesis, etc. as i never really got to play against these decks

>Did you go to FNM?
Sure did.
>How did you do?
0-4. First two match-ups were Valakut Titan and I couldn't get there fast enough both matches.

3rd game was against polymorph. Turn 3 Polymorphed into Iona naming red. Had 3 paths in hand and no white sources.

Told the TO to drop me after that game but he forgot so I just gave the last game to the other guy.

>What did you play?
My friends Naya Burn Modern deck since I'm still finishing up Soul Sisters

>What should be banned?
Valakut just cause I'm mad.

Deathrite Shaman and Mental Misstep

SFM

>What should stay legal?
Mox Opal

Anyone knows how I could make Polymorphist's Jest work? It looks like a really funny card to crack out.

>0-4
How come your FLGS let's you have 4 matches?

They have some system where the amount of people that show up determine how many rounds there will be and that FNM just had a really good turn out for modern.

My old LGS did round robin if there were less than 6 people, which could mean 4 rounds.

>>Did you go to FNM?
no
>>How did you do?
>>What did you play?
>>What should be banned?
nothing
>>What should be unbanned?
jtms, sfm, jitte, bbe, ponder, preordain, seething song, rite of flame, dread return, punishing fire, splinter twin, birthing pod, treasure cruise, dig through time, deathrite shaman, summer bloom, eye of ugin, artifact lands, green sun's zenith
>>What should stay banned?
glimpse of nature, blazing shoal, chrome mox, cloudpost, dark depths, hypergenesis, mental misstep, second sunrise, sensei's divining top, skullclamp
>>What should stay legal?
how about
>what should be introduced to the format?
counterspell, innocent blood, daze, sylvan library, wasteland, rishadan port, mother of runes, karakas

>wasteland
Yes please.
>innocent blood, rishadan port
I'm okay with this.
>sylvan library, mother of runes
Ehhh....
>counterspell, daze, karakas
No.

>>counterspell, daze, karakas
>No.
Someone has blue saltyness

Guilty as charged. Not so much blue saltiness as "and then I splash blue so I can counter your deck" saltiness.

>my wife went out of town
cuck detected
opinion discarded

>need UU by turn 2 for counterspell
>need an island by T1 to make the best use of daze
>blue splash

I think I've broken MTG. My library is basically life giving spells / creatures and +1/1 counters every time I gain life. I had a match where one of my angels was more than +600/600

Shit just grows exponentially without end.

Is this legal?

In one turn Sunbond Seraph of Dawn went from a 4/6....

...to a 14/16 because of two Scroll of Avacyns

And because Seraph of Dawn has Lifelink, after one attack it then became a 28/30

>captcha toilets castro

Isn't that just Legacy without duals now?
Play legacy.

It's missing Counterbalance and Top but I agree with the sentiment. Modern isn't legacy. Modern probably needs Wasteland but not most of what's on that list.

>What should be banned?
EITHER Mutagenic Growth or Become Immense, Cathartic Reunion
Stoneforge Mystic ONLY if Sword of the Meek gets banned, Birthing Pod ONLY if Viscera Seer gets banned, Splinter Twin ONLY if Deceiver Exarch gets banned, Treasure Cruise ONLY if Thoughtscour gets banned
Everything else
>What should be introduced to the format?
Stifle, Counterspell, a "fixed" Wasteland that reads: "T, sacrifice [card name]: Destroy target land. If a basic land is destroyed this way, its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle his or her library."

>"T, sacrifice [card name]: Destroy target land. If a basic land is destroyed this way, its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle his or her library."
so strictly better ghost quarter? really now?

>splash blue so I can counter your deck
>counter your deck
>rest in peace is white
>stony silence is white
Wut

It's the only way to get Wasteland into the format.

I just had the craziest idea, what if we get Aura Swap in Amonkhet? Arcanum Wings art even fits in Amonkhet.

>tfw turn 3 Aura Swap into Eldrazi Conscription with Slippery Bogle on the field
This deck is way too good for $100.

Wasteland just can't destroy basics. How is this more acceptable in the eyes of wizards? It can destroy basics.

>Did you go to FNM?

No i don't have time to go to shops, been trying to find a hole in me scheduled for it.

>How did you do?

I've done to well at FNMs, I think 3-1-1 is my best. But I've done less than 10.

>What did you play?

BG good stuff, but no goyfs or bobs,

>What should be banned?

primeval titan

I dont know man, maybe stone forge.

most of it

>What should stay legal?

basic lands.

>starting the threads with "muh bans" discussion
Way to go lad

>BG good stuff, but no goyfs or bobs,
You mean, bg badstuff

Scooze and Abrupt Decay are good cards. Maybe he means a pile of BG cards with some good cards in it?

If snapcaster was a 0/1 but kept his other abilities would he be used just as much as he is today?

It'd probably see less play in delver decks but it'd still be good
People underestimate snappy as a beater

nobody fucking underestimates snapcaster as a beater

The problem is that there aren't substitutes for the caster. Lowering his beating ability would just make delver decks weaker instead of changing them.

Other than Torrential Gearhulk, there's nothing like it. It'd probably see a little less play but if Goyf was */* instead of */*+1 would it see less play? Maybe but probably not much.

I won the Grixis Control mirror by attacking only with snap. Nobody underestimates Snap as a beater except new players. Snap is a 2/1 for free because you paid 1U to flashback a spell.

Hey gays. I've been considering getting back into in person card games after a several year hiatus from Yugioh. I know the basic mechanics of MtG, just don't really know cards at all.

What is the minimum I can expect to spend for a TRULY meta deck right now? How long (if at all) can I expect that deck to last before I need to drop another huge wad of cash to keep playing?

Any help/info/guidance would be very helpful. Thanks.

it depends on what format you are playing. stadard is relativly cheap right now, just a few hundred for a top tier deck. But then you need to keep up with the standard meta. which will mean more money down the road.

Modern is much priceyer for a top tier deck, then can run into the thousands if you let them, but you wont have to rotate cards unless things are banned or unbanned.

Legacy, aside from burn or lower tier decks you are looking at a few grand easy since duals are a must and so many card you will need are expensive, but once you buy in you are in forever and it is a very rare occurrence that any card printed upsets the legacy meta.

In standard? 400
In modern? 800-1k, up to 2k
Legacy? 1500-3k
Vintage? ~15,000

Is there one format that is considered the "standard" (not as in the format but as in the one that is most ubiquitous) for competitive play? i.e. in Yugioh pretty much EVERYONE is just going to be playing Advanced TCG banlist.

Standard

There is also another thing to consider when choosing a format, Legacy and Vintage barely changes at all, if you buy a deck, chances are that you can use it for years without needing to change anything.
Standard is the one that changes the most, if you get bored of decks easily, this is the one you are going for. And modern brings a bit of the 2, its biggest changes comes through banlists.

Standard. Although most players will also have a modern deck. Depending on your shop, you will rarely see someone with a vintage or legacy deck. There is also commander, quite a handful of players have one too.
There is also drafts(the way you were supposed to play Battle Pack Monster League in ygo), it's an official format with official tournaments, but most people play for either fun or rare picking.

Thanks, Anons. I think I'll just go head down to my local(ish) shop on Friday and ask around to see what usually goes on there.

Honestly, it's probably going to come down to a calculation as to whether I'd be spending more on Yugioh or Magic. But if anyone has any other big reason to convince me to join the Magic side of things, I'm certainly willing to hear them out. One thing that would make me trend towards Yugioh is the ability to play online and try out whatever cards I want for free. Does MtG have anything remotely like this? Isn't pretty much everything behind a paywall?

Also, sealed play sounds interesting to me. Is that a remotely decent way to work on building a collection? Or should I just be expecting to have fun with it and that's it?

Yeah, Xmage, it's better than Ygopro imo

Standard is bad don't play it

Since you are basically opening 3 packs, you have 3 chances at getting good shit that you can trade for other good shit that you need.

I play ygo too, but I usually just collect the cards and play tag force/devpro.

It is very rare, but in case someone wants to win above anything you may get a pack with expensive shit in it.

Just take care when getting boosters for a draft, some shops weights their packs.

if your boggle isnt a 10/10 by turn 3 youve kept a sucky hand, and this seems way too loose desu.

I will install and try it out.

This guy is trolling me, right?

So probably not a way to actually build up a collection, but just a fun bonus?

>weights their packs
What did he mean by this?

Standard is the most played format. Just like any card game, the best way to get cards is buying singles, you can get good shit in drafts, but they are mostly for fun.

Packs with foil cards are heavier than packs without, you need a scale with high precision to detect it, some shops weights their packs, open the heavier ones, and sell the others.

>3rd game was against Polymorph. Turn 3 Polymorphed into Iona naming red.

You know, if you're banking on using a four-mana sorcery to potentially bring out a beefy beater, why not just make a reanimator deck with Zombify? Seems like it'd be more stable of a deck.

That sounds illegal. My shop seems pretty legit though, so I don't think they would pull that kinda thing. Their singles are pretty overpriced but overall they are nice people that run a great shop.

It's not really illegal, there are people who goes to shops like target and toysrus with scales and weghts the packs and just buys the heavier ones, it happens a lot with Pokemon, since the best cards are always in foil wih a texturized layer, so those packs are a lot heavier than the normals ones.

>a 10/10 bogle on turn 3 is better than a 20/20 bogle on 3

why do you think somebody saying something is shit is trolling? Many people dislike standard badly and think it wa dumbed down from the past of magic(and i do agree on that),but the fact he expressed his opinion in the most retarded way possible doesn't make him a troll

It's a strictly better wasteland you dunce, wasteland says non-basic.

Way to not see the forest for the trees.

you need a nut draw to make it a 20/20, what is that, 3 ethereal armours and two rancor, boggle, and 3 lands? Thats a bit unrealistic :P

its not illegal, but it looks hella autistic, and if you tried it in an LGS you'd probably get either thrown out or laughed out

I'm not sure what you're arguing here: the fact that Aura Swap is bad or that it's bad compared to original Bogles. And I don't even know what the fuck has to do with this, Conscription only gives +10/+10.

A shop I trust doesn't let the buyers choose the pack, but most doesn't really give a fuck, since a sell is a sell.

oh im saying both, like this shit is way too inefficient, boggles is near enough solved. theres only really ever a few flex slots in the main. Ive been playing it for two years, and the whole aura swap thing is way too cute.

A strictly better Wasteland wouldn't give your opponent a basic if you went after their basic. It's a strictly better GQ, situationally better Wasteland but most decks would just play the Wasteland instead.

Make it: "T, {1}, sacrifice" and that would be balanced. We've been hurting for a better Tec Edge anyway.

A wasteland can't even target a basic, you dolt. It's a strictly better Wasteland, a strictly worse Strip Mine.

>attend FNM
>first round
>opponent is a teenager
>well dressed, expensive looking watch, necktie and a dandy looking hat
>his brother sits down besides him
>much older, wearing normal clothes
>"do you mind if I sit here with my brother?"
>sure
>match starts
>he plays soul sisters
>I play dredge
>win match 1
>opponent stays dead silent
>his brother is sweating and looks tense
>match two
>couple turns in
>he draws
>suddenly, stands up
>"OH MAN, WHAT A UNFORTUNATE DRAW"
>throws the card into the table
>throws his hand into the air
>his brother reaches for the deck as he tries to swat it with his hand
>adjusts his tie
>offers his hand
>"A PLEASURE PLAYING WITH YOU"
>I shake his hand
>picks up his cards
>his brother tells the owner the results

During a smoke break, went out and talked with his brother. His brother has tourette's and gets real nervous when playing for the first time against new people. They liked the store and went there saturdat and sunday, things were much calmer.

>literal autism

If I had to choose between the tourette's guy and a guy that used to come to the store that wouldn't let you touch his cards and get violent about it, I would choose the tourette's guy without a doubt

>yes
>2-2, first round beat Infect 2-0, second round lost to UR Delver 1-2, third round beat Burn 2-0, and lost 4th round to Titanshift because of a huge misplay
>8Whack
>Become Immense
>Goblin Ringleader
>everything that already is
>Dredge, I don't mind it

We had a guy that after losing a game, reached over and crushed a TUNDRA with his big meaty claws

>Did you go to FNM?

Yes

>How did you do?

Poorly, it's my first event where I've had more losses than wins in over a year (1-2-1)

>What did you play?

Jund

>What should be banned?

Gitaxian Probe, Ancient Stirrings, Narcomoeba

Umezawa's Jitte

Hypergenesis

>What should stay legal?

Blood Moon

>tfw can't go on FNMs

Why the wotc fags had to make it friday and not saturday?

as a long time ygo player wizards has just one game and multiple formats. Wizards isn't banning things in modern to sell new product, they have rotation for that. There also is no tcg/ocg split and the top tournaments can actually win you money.
And most important of all, no mole rat coming anytime soon. We're past the Pack Rat era

Something similar happened at a previous store I used to go to. This new guy started attending modern events with his Jund deck. There was this old, balding and really bitter dude that played esper control that always lost to the jund deck. One day he snapped and started screaming the tarmos and lilianas were fake because they looked weird.

The new guy tried talking him out of his frenzy, but he didn't listen and swiftly grabbed the cards, desleeved them and ripped them in two.

The cards not only were real, they were real expensive misprints that the new guy collected.

weights used to happen literally every set in ygo until they started putting a super in every pack

That's like small claims court territory

>Let anyone but a judge touch your cards

and at that point you might as well make it a gifts deck with unburial rites package.

I guess he repaid them or called the police.

This is why i will never bring out anything expensive to play with strangers.

So many bitter losers.

I swear this game is infested with them. I believe this happens because winning at a cardboard child game gives them some sense of control in their lives

>Esper control having a hard time beating Jund

Maybe the old guy's problem was that he was terrible at Magic.

Lets not beat around the bush. Magic attracts autists

>Did you go to FNM?
No
>What do you play?
Naya Burn
>What should be banned?
Every Blue Spell in existence
Nothing
Everything
>What should stay legal?
Lightning bolt

Legit question I've always wondered, if someone could answer it in a non dick way that would be nice

because normal people do stuff on saturday nights

Myth Realized is still an enchantment when you make him a creature right? If so I might build Enchantress

user I don't think those who play modern/legacy and drop 800-3k on a deck go out on saturdays

If they can afford it they probably have a stable job so yes, I do

>Being fast enough to know that's about to happen

Nothin personal kid

>Teleports behind u
>touches ur cards

>The Tarmogoyfs Dahnald

Not really sure, maybe it just started as a way to unwind after a long work week. Go home from work, grab your cards, and head over to the shop to play and hang out with friends. Saturdays seem more like days for big tournaments, given that most people have the whole day available as opposed to just the evening/night on a Friday.

Boggle's are very rarely 10/10's on T3. You'd need multiple ethereal armors

If they have a stable job they don't have time to play on fridays, hence the original question, why isn't it on saturdays?

the term 9-5 exists for a reason

>most people have state jobs

Got a list bro?

Woah why Gitaxian probe