/osrg/ OSR General

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General thread.

>Links - Includes a list of OSR games, a wiki, scenarios, free RPGs, trove etc.
pastebin.com/0pQPRLfM

>Discord Server - Live design help, game finder, etc.
discord.gg/qaku8y9

>OSR Blog List - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

>Webtools - Help contribute by suggesting more.
pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Previous thread

Nice table.

What's the difference between the Red Hack, the Old School Hack and the Black Hack?

Red Hack and Old School Hack are similar, Black Hack only has a similar name(indeed it has more similarities with Whitehack then it does with those two)

at least going off memory

Anyone know some good slavic-inspired settings?

Except for Fever-Dreaming Marlinko and basically everything else from Hill Cantons nothing comes to mind. Every bit of Kutalik's 'Hill Cantons news' posts is on point though, can confirm as a slav.

So after taking the feedback I got from last thread I decided to really work up my game system here and iron out a bunch of the kinks. I think it is in a much better place now, though I'd like feedback for this updated version to perfect it.

>Hill Cantons
>Well, sure, I-

In the gaol cell I sit,
Thinking glaive-guisarme, of you,
And our bright slumbering home so far away,
And the tears drip my snout
'Spite of all that I can do,
Tho' I try to cheer my comrades and grunt hurray.

Brump! Brump! Brump!
The war-bears are mar-chin'
Cheer up cubs here we come!
And beneath the starry paw
We shall smell the blessed honey again
In the free dunes of Medved's sandy home.

In the battle's van we stood
When their horsey charge they made
And they swept us off
A hundred bearlings or more
But before they reached our phalanx
They were beaten back, dismayed
And we heard the roar of victory o'er and o'er

Brump! Brump! Brump!
The war-bears are mar-chin'
Cheer up cubs here we come!
And beneath the starry paw
We shall smell the blessed honey again
In the free dunes of Medved's sandy home.

>Uh, what?

So, what are you sick of seeing in the OSR?

Vancian magic.

Yet another rule system copy that doesn't do anything really new when other systems exist already.

OSR settings that are generally so low fantasy and human focused that there really isn't any point in running them with an actual OSR system, many of them would make more sense as BRP/Runequest settings(Red Tide is one of the worst offenders here), indeed a lot of them are so barely fantasy in nature it'd make more sense to just run a historical setting at that point(Dark Albion is especially guilty of this in my opinon)

this mostly applies to published OSR settings though, plenty of ones on the blogs and forums that are properly fantastical

also systems that when they bother including rules for playing as non-humans tend to have them so underpowered that there really isn't any point in playing one compared to playing as a human(or sometimes an Elf or Dwarf)

The same spells (magic missiles, web, fireball, etc.) with slightly tweaked names.

I'd like to see some really weird magic based on the Blue Adept series, or Elric's mighty magics, or anything new.

STEAL THAT SHIT
STRAIGHT UP
FROM HARRY POTTER

more new magic would be nice, although if it's a core book it probably should have most of the old standbys as well(same with monster selection)

I think that in part that there was a lot of OSR settings published that where low fantasy since most published material was high fantasy.

Gurps magic spell list from 3rd edition has a lot of fun spells since the ones that you fear are not the same.

In Gurps spells like dehydrate are the bane.

Or you can use the ideas of Carcosa to give a view of magic that is very not D&D.

doesn't mean most of them aren't still awful

Seriously. I want Wigmere's Tremulous Expulsion or The Odaini Concussion Cant.
If I see another Magic Missile, I'm going to flip.

lol, but when something like DCC comes along half the crowd flips their shit.

Do you think its possible to convince my players to play OSR instead of 5e? They don't like when their characters die and I have one player that really likes having a lot of options.

I'm scared of rule changes too, I didn't grasp 5e rules really well yet, but I think a simpler system could make the game better

I like DCC

The Black Hack is an Into the Odd hack that ressembles D&D more. I think it fails at what it tries to do, in the same way Dungeon World failed at using both D&D and Apocalypse World. Into the Odd is close enough with D&D as it is, adding sacred cows to it doesn't improve it, and D&D is already great as it is.

The Red Hack I don't know about.

The Old School Hack uses d12 mechanics, has playbooks, and is a 2nd generation OSR/Storygame mix in a good way. Check it out, it's free.

People having prejudiced ideas about games they don't know enough to judge. Either you become a fucking scholar or D&D with all the things that are out there for you to read, learn and try, or you just talk about what you enjoy instead of spreading bullshit around like some toxic tumblrist.

I don't like DCC's rules, but I read Hubris recently and I gotta say, I fucking love the overdose of tables. It's a lot of work, and it's super-gameable. For that I have DCC to thanks.

Do you guys like AP report? I like reading AP reports, and always find there's not enough out there. Yet I tried to write down today's game after it was over, and realized it's actually quite hard to write it in an entertaining way that would be enjoyable by people who weren't there. Anyone knows the secret?

Of course. If you don't want PCs to die too much, you can either teach them how to survive, or put some learning wheels, like death at -10hp or the likes.

For Heroic adventuring, I start out PCs with 10.000XP in Delving Deeper/OD&D, with 6hp for their first level (the 3 or 4 next levels, depending on class, are rolled for normally). I also let them Save vs Death when reaching 0hp.

Switch them to 2e with all the splats (note that this requires you to know which options are bullshit good, and which are shit), then slowly strip books out until you're just left with the core, and then you can go from there.

AD&D 2e is a good game, but it is far harder to grasp than 5e IMO. Wouldn't he be more comfortable with a 2nd or 3rd wave game, like DCC, LotFP or ACKS?

>Do you think its possible to convince my players to play OSR instead of 5e?
>They don't like when their characters die and I have one player that really likes having a lot of options.
To be frank with you, no.

That is a terrible idea. 2e is bad enough with just the Players Handbook, thanks to the completely inconsistent way attributes are handled, coupled with non-weapon proficiencies and the fact that XP for Treasure is an optional rule.

And I say that as a fag who likes 2e.

The huge number of splats add many subsystems, many of which are not good and only complicate the system in bad ways (Psionicists Handbook for example).

This is terrible advice, don't follow it.

You should try to introduce them to Basic Fantasy RPG. Google it. It's free, and has a lot of downloadable content to extend it. If you end up wanting to add more to it, you can add stuff from other editions (AD&D 1 and 2e, other B/X inspired stuff like Lamentations of the Flame Princess) and you might even be able to back port some content from 3rd edition and 5th edition if you really want to.

>they don't like dying

They're either going to have to get used to it, or you should really just stick with 5e or change to some other non-D&D heroic fantasy RPG.

>Dungeon World failed at using both D&D and Apocalypse World

I'd beg to differ, though I don't want to go beating that dead horse in any detail.

>They don't like when their characters die and I have one player that really likes having a lot of options.
Yeah, that's not going to work. OSR tends to be relatively deadly, and though there are ways to address this (see pic), the "lots of options" issue is still going to sink you. OSR games tend to be light on character-building mechanics and enshrined combat options (relying on more on character background and GM improvisation), and those with more complex mechanics will probably to be harder to grasp than 5e rather than easier (on account of being more ad hoc and "all over the place").

If you can get past the player concerned about options, then I'd suggest a Moldvay Basic (B/X) clone like Basic Fantasy or Labyrinth Lord (or Moldvay Basic, itself) as a nice, light game to play. You might also want to check out something like Barbarians of Lemuria if you want a swords & sorcery game that's simpler than D&D, though not specifically focused on dungeon-crawling.

bump

I haven't had any trouble with convincing mine. Maybe because even though some want options, they're absolutely shit at managing them. Sometimes you just know better, it's the truth. You're running the game, after all.

Personally I like Ambition & Avarice, which does several nifty things with classes / races and provides enough mechanical differentiation while staying firmly OSR. It also has nice layout and it's only 98 pages long.

LotFP is closer to Holmes & Greyhawk in design than it is to Mentzer or Moldvay. The first edition is called Deluxe, and the third is called LotFP Rules & Magic.

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea isn't an OD&D clone, it's an AD&D 1 2nd wave neo-clone.

I think a distinction should be made between OD&D LBBs and OD&D as LBB + Supplements, which look more like AD&D than White Box.

Also there's Full Metal Plate Mail that comes from LBBs.

It's Hulks & Horrors, not Horrors & Hulks. It spawned WARBAND!, among other things.

There's also Small but Vicious Dog! which is WFRP + B/X.

It's pretty complete and neat though.

>LotFP is closer to Holmes & Greyhawk

Seen this meme a few times now and I don't get it. It's obviously depowered and cleaned up Mentzer. What exactly makes it like Holmes or Greyhawk supplement?

>OD&D ----> Dungeon World
No. Just no.

I'm feeling mildly inspired and OSR is catching my attention today.

Tell me to write some magic system stuff for either;
>Mystic, Gonzo Hermetic Spells with a traditional Vancian spell-slot system
>Artificer-based magic system where Wizards replace their 'spells' with useful 'enchantments' and consumable items.
>Entirely new magic system based on small but unlimited magical abilities and utility spells, inspired by Harry Potter

Which one do you want to see the most?

The way spell research and scrolls are handled in LotFP is essentially the way Holmes did it. And Holmes re-worked Greyhawk/LBBs. B/X & BECMI magic-users can't do much aside from using their one or two spells and gaining a number of spells equal to what they can cast at any given point. They get scrolls at high level.
Vance has wizards who go around carrying a fuckton of scrolls and books. Just like LotFP. Just like Holmes.

Holmes & Greyhawk have some to-hit bonus, and almost nothing in the way of damage bonus. LotFP has to-hit bonus in the same scale, but no damage bonus.

B/X and BECMI have to-hit and damage bonus in the same scale, which is kind of an over simplification, too.

Holmes is Weird/Gonzo. Greyhawk is Weird/Gonzo. LotFP is Weird/Gonzo.

Moldvay and Mentzer are more "vanilla".

Molvay and Mentzer are aiming for kids and teens. Holmes, Greyhawk and LotFP are aiming for young adults and older players.

"It's obviously depowered and cleaned up Mentzer" ? LotFP has some of the strongest 1st level PCs around. People seem to keep forgetting that *before B/X and BECMI*, your THAC0 was shit and stayed terrible until you were either very high level, or mid level Fighting-Man. LotFP's way, giving a bonus to Fighters only, while still being overpowered compared to Greyhawk and Holmes, is at least consistent with those games, whereas B/X and BECMI are more keen on making everyone bad at fighting at low level, and everyone good at fighting at high level.

Also, Fighters getting a huge to-hit bonus is intended to have the same effect as Original Edition Fighting-Men attacking a number of Normal-Types (1 to 2HD) equal to their HD as 1HD Fighting-Men while keepnig in mind the difference in design where LotFP has only one big monster, whereas OD&D has groups of less big monsters.

Also, it's not a "meme". The meme if we were to call it that way, is the idea that LotFP is a B/X clone, which is the most commonly admitted simplification.

Also, please forgive me if I sound salty, I am sleep deprived and not sure how my text voice sounds to others right now. I was aiming for "informative", in case it doesn't show.

Last session was pretty roleplaying heavy as my one player talked to her Council and set forth plans for the province she's setting up. Then she ended up impressing the hell out of the new immigrants to her new city with a display of divine might.

Then she rolled on over the next town and resolved a social problem through brute force JUSTICE, then she got things ready for the dungeon crawl next session.

Dice were rolled a grand total of 3 times in 3 hours.

I'm a new gm so I'm concerned, am I somehow doing things wrong? I mean, we both totally had fun, and I'm slightly horrified at/totally enjoying how she's now casually using divine power so I liked the session, but still.

I'm concerned because I once read dungeon world and that game kept pushing making the players life hell and never giving them a non complicated success. And it seemed to encourage rolling.

The system is Godbound btw.

Low Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery/Death Trap Dungeons/Weird Fantasy

Gimme some High Fantasy instead please.

>Molvay and Mentzer are aiming for kids and teens. Holmes, Greyhawk and LotFP are aiming for young adults and older players.
Isn't it the other way around? Holmes basic was created by Holmes literally to teach his kids to play D&D because the original books are so vaque. Nothing in Moldvay feels like it's specifically meant for kids. I have no clue where this assumption that Moldvay is aimed at kids came from. For some reason it keeps on appearing time and time again.

Mentzer is probably the one that's actually meant to be read primarily by young people.

so, I'm writing up Horrible Wound charts for what happens when you hit 0 hitpoints. So far, I've got physical injuries, burning (including acid etc) and pestilence (including poison etc). Any other stuff I should consider?

You gonna define fucking any of those?

>Dice were rolled a grand total of 3 times in 3 hours.
no that sounds good. Dice are an abstraction for when you can't solve things through common sense.
>dungeon world and that game kept pushing making the players life hell and never giving them a non complicated success. And it seemed to encourage rolling.
That was dungeon world. OSR stuff like godbound is a different set of expectations. If she's playing smart and succeeding, great! If you don't need to roll dice (or even refer to the rules much), great!
Dungeon World GMing advice is great for DW games, less so for games with different expectations.

Check out Courtney Campbell's "On a Table for Avoiding Death". It's in the trove, DM resources folder.

Nah, no salt detected, thanks for explanation. I know shit about Greyhawk and Holmes so me calling it meme is pretty tongue-in-cheek.

So as I was working on my game that doesn't include races as classes I began to think about what sort of races I wanted to include in the setting and got kinda frustrated or stuck.

Then I thought; hey, why not steal an idea I was using for my sci-fi game anyway? As in- race is entirely cosmetic in the game world, players are just supposed to build their race around whatever stats they have. So if you have high dexterity and constitution; you can be a agile lizardman from the swamps because you're resistant to disease and all that. Makes sense right?

I just wonder if that sort of thing is good for a High Fantasy game world- anyone else think it would be a good addition?

>Gimme some High Fantasy instead please.
hey, let's go a step beyond that. Give me prog-rock-album-covers levels of crazy ass psychadelic fantasy. I want my kung-fu powered priest of solitude to use a whip made of the tears of massacred innocents to beat the shit out of the cosmic personification of taxation. I want a team of psyche-spelunkers to pull a heist in the dreamscape of a stillborn god so they can steal the secret to perfect opium distillation.

Holmes assumes you know about OD&D and will know about AD&D, both of which are written with adults in mind, even though they mention that any players of 12+ of age can enjoy the game.

Moldvay explains things in a way that non-gamers can understand easily without reference to prior work, a feat that I haven't seen achieved in a lot of early D&D games. It also lowers the age to 10+, but after checking my copy for proof, I have to say it was an extrapolation on my part to say Moldvay is designed specifically for kids.

I'm not sure about Mentzer though, don't have a copy at hand here.

I'm one of these dying breeds that actually prefer OD&D to Classic D&D, so I can get a bit retarded about it sometimes.

Carcosa + Narcosa + Everything by Hydra Collective + Hubris + Fire on the Velvet Horizon!

I like this idea. I usually go even dumber myself though : with OD&D, anybody can play any of the monster race, usually by adding a few rules in the same way the demihumans that are already there are just small additions to the humanocentric classes.

I would play that.

Gotta say, I'm not opposed to high fantasy in OSR, high fantasy as if in "high powered colourful governed by rule of cool fantasy". It's just it's incredibly bland usually. It should be really weird and / or over-the-top for me to entertain the idea.

Everything works as intended. Dungeon World is very into the idea of constant conflict but it's much more emergent in traditional games and OSR specifically. Rules fade into the background until they're needed, so rolls should make an impact. But clear success is totally fine and within the expectations, just as a clear failure.

So, I'm not a big 40k guy, but this is Veeky Forums, so I'm going to drop this one here.

Warband! is a Black Crusade OSR that actually make it sound fun to play (to me, 40k games usually sound kinda too-much).
It's based off Hulks & Horrors, which is kind of its own thing.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

An actual link would be more useful.

I wish I could just grab a lot of DnD newbies and run a wirder homebrew setting for them. Every time I try to do it with veterans, they're weirded out by the lack of familiar tropes.

Well why can't you? Newbies are exceptionally cool to introduce to any sort of weirdness you can imagine. They go apeshit for gonzo in my experience.

You're welcome.

You are right.
ache tee tee pee : slash slash swordplusone dot blogspot dot fr slash 2014 slash 04 slash warband dot ache tee el em

I love noobs. They're like clay, ready to be shaped, and they get super excited at all those new things and you get to relive your own excitement through their discovery.

Asking again
a) what are some neato system/setting agnostic resources to spice up my games and add some capital W Weird to them? My current list is as follows:
>The Dungeon Dozen
>Yoon-Suin The Purple Land
>Slumbering Ursine Dunes
>Realms of Crawling Chaos
>Teratic Tome
>Lusus Naturae
>Broken System 0th ed.

and b) What are some tiny, several-page long OSR games? Again, what I do have now is:
>1974 Style
>Microlite20
>Searchers of The Unknown
>Into the Odd
>Beyond the Wall
>Maze Rats
>World of Dungeons
>Dungeon Delvers (a real piece of crap if you ask me, though, have a look)

The first one.

Anything by Hydra Collective. Hubris. Fire on the Velvet Horizon. Goblinpunch blog. False Machine blog.

Add HQRPG to the list of tiny games. It's a storygame with an OSR design. It's more OSR than World of Dungeon, but it's also more clearly from Storygames.

You mean respectively Wonders & Wickedness, Into the Odd's Arcanum and the 500+ list of cantrips by some guy on Veeky Forums?

Anyone know a supplement similar to Petty gods that handles bigger, proper, deities, but also takes its time explaining their personalities and quirks?

Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes, Supplement IV for Dungeons & Dragons.

Depends on the veteran, but a lot of them are stuck in their ways about "this is how things are expected to be".

One of players is also a GM, and he dropped me into a Savage Worlds game where muppets were real people with zero warning. Right down to letters and numbers just walking down the street.

I basically played pic related. Gross misuse of power, extreme police corruption, and a sociopath muppet dog for a partner. It was fantastic. We all got suspended because the rookie shot a suspect who was hopped up on refined sugar.

I'm telling you chief, this is why we got to go digital on the camera system. This analog stuff is just too unreliable.

>a Savage Worlds game where muppets were real people
uh... ?
>Right down to letters and numbers just walking down the street
you had my attention, now you have my interest.

Buddy, you are gonna have to get into this one. Like, what the fuck.

>Savage Worlds

I know it isn't OSR, but I was making a point that not all veteran players are incapable of handling something weird or strange. He had me and two other players make characters with the the provision that we had to be in law enforcement, and preferably police with no other information to go on.

>setting

Our case was a homicide. A muppet number (a 6 pretending to be a 9, actually) was running a refined sugar ring, which is effectively meth for muppets, and had murdered a Big Bird knockoff named Titanic Turkey, who, if I remember correctly, owed 6 a bunch of money.

It was a very weird setting, but I'd never had a fellow GM throw me a curveball like that, so I just tried to take it in stride. Worked out a hell of a lot better than expected. I would play something like that again.

So, moral of the story is, don't feel like you can't spring weird or unexpected things on your veteran players. They may surprise you.

What. The actual fuck. That sounds fucking amazing jesus Christ on a cracker.

Listen that's neat and all, about savage worlds and it and stuff, but like I want you to understand we are all fascinated by fucking Sin City: Sesame Street

Allow me to do some proper story time, then.

Carlos, my friend and fellow GM, tells us (and by us I mean his girlfriend Anne, his best friend Bernard, Ezekiel, and myself) to make characters. He takes Bernard aside and tells him some of the setting details, but doesn't let the other three of us in on it. All we know is that we need to be law enforcement.

I decide that I want to play the burned out veteran who has lost his idealism. Bad things happen to good people, for no reason. Bad people are often untouchable by the law, and sometimes it's better to let the minor offenders go to catch the worse ones. Sometimes, its for your own good to look the other way, etc.

So, I make him tough, but overweight, older, balding. Kind of a rumpled appearance.

Ezekiel makes a rookie cop. Fresh out of the academy.

Anne's character is CSI. Career woman.

Bernard's character is my partner. I don't know exactly what he has made at this point, but I know I'll meet him in game.

Carlos tells me, the rookie, and CSI that we're called in on a homicide, and me specifically that my partner is already on scene. So, I drive over there with the rookie, and I am told that I pass a family of numbers, and various animals scurrying to work on the sidewalk.

I'm a bit thrown for a loop at this point, but I change mental gears, and I think "Ah! Who Framed Roger Rabbit. They're cartoons!" but I don't say it out loud.

We arrive at the crime scene, and I confer with my partner, who is described to me by Bernard. And this is the point when I realize they aren't cartoons - I've fallen into some strange universe where Sesame St. and the Muppets have hard boiled detectives, police corruption, and drug cartels. The kind of universe where Bert would murder Ernie for sucking off the Grouch in the alley behind their apartment.

Cont'd.

So, we have a look at the body. It's a muppet turkey who's been cooked like a Thanksgiving dinner. Little white booties and all. We're told the stuffing smells delicious.

My partner, Bernard's character, is a muppet dog, and it's pretty clear from the outset that he's a bit unhinged. Maybe even deranged. He hassles the bystanders and aggressively questions the land lady.

During this time, CSI arrives, and we describe the situation to her, as she more or less has no idea what is going on in-game yet. It's pretty clear by Anne's face that she's having a greater WHAT. THE. FUCK. moment than either Ezekiel or myself, and I think she was unhappy that her expectations had been subverted by Carlos.

Either way, we all roll with it, and we try to get some leads.

We learn that Titanic Turkey (our vic) has an associate named Tiny Turkey, a business partner. Showbiz hadn't been kind to Titanic Turkey, and it was known he'd been in rehab a couple of times for his sugar addiction. So, my partner and I decide to question him while the rookie and CSI continue gathering clues in Titanic Turkey's apartment.

Our "discussion" with Tiny Turkey involved me playing bad cop, and Bernard playing crazed muppet with a badge and shit ton of Renegade points. Tiny Turkey tells us he owned money to a sugar dealer, but that if we wanted any more information, we needed to talk to 9.

Has anyone here checked out hubris yet? Is it worth buying?

for the love of god keep going

I rarely drop dought on products, but this one is worth it.

Cont'd.

>owed, rather than owned

Bernard and I head back to the station to compare notes with CSI and the rookie, and we learn that the media and muppet rights groups are attempting to crawl up our aspirin eating, black police chief's ass. She tells us to stop goofing off and do our jobs.

Bernard, the rookie, and myself head off to question 9, a muppet businessman. He tells us a whole of nothing, and I can't say I recollect everything about the conversation. But I do remember his employee, a muppet named Cookie Muncher. Cookie Muncher definitely looks shady, and we decide to tail him after our questioning of 9 goes south thanks to Detective "I'll Take a Bite Out of Crime, and Your Ass".

Cookie Muncher enters a lot with a warehouse. We wait a little while, and when he doesn't come out, we decide to do some snooping. All the entrances are locked, and we aren't sure exactly what the place is being used for. So, being terrible policemen, we knock on the front door.

Cookie Muncher answers, but he obviously doesn't want to talk to us. He has an Eastern European accent, so being a sensitive, non-bigoted American, I tell him that I'll report him to immigration if he doesn't let us in.

Unconvinced by our lack of a warrant, he refuses, but he isn't quick enough to shut the door before Bernard has prevented him from doing so by sticking his foot in.

The three of us barge in, and Cookie Muncher attempts to flee. We chase him into the warehouse, and we find a sugar smuggling operation in progress. We call in backup, and capture Cookie Muncher.

The chief is extremely pleased about our drug bust, but wants us to stop fooling around and get back to solving that murder.

However, we are about to make a fatal mistake.

We've got Cookie Muncher in the interrogation room, and he's stonewalling us. Bad cop/deranged muppet doesn't seem to be moving him.

After some deliberation, we decide that if he's going to play hardball, we will to. This is the moment when we decide to unplug the cameras in the interrogation room.

Bernard and I give Cookie Muncher the works, and he finally agrees to squeal if we stop our aggressive and unprofessional questioning techniques, and get him some sugar to sweeten the deal.

In the process of kicking his ass, we'd removed his restraints so that we could justifiably say he was attempting to escape. We tell the rookie to go down to the vending machine and get something for Cookie Muncher.

He does, and gets a rice crispy treat. You know the kind - been sitting there for months, tastes like plastic wrapper, but you're happy to have it because you stomach is gnawing on your spine and the boredom is leeching away the little voice in the back of your head that tries to reason you out of buying it in the first place?

Rookie passes it into the interrogation room, and Bernard and I let Cookie Muncher have it. The muppet bastard gobbles it down, and then goes berserk, eyes gleaming red and throws both me and my partner around, before battering down a locked steel door and fleeing into the bowels of the station.

Both Bernard and I are stunned. We couldn't act if we wanted to. But the rookie has got things in hand. He shouts for Cookie Muncher to stop, but is ignored. Rookie aims, and plugs the fool. Stuffing blows out all over the walls and floor of the hallway, and Cookie Muncher, our best lead at the time, falls dead.

It's at this point where armed fellow officers swarm the area, and the chief demands we explain ourselves in her office. We recount a sanitized version of our escapade, and the chief suspends us pending an investigation. But before she allows us to leave, she wants to know why the cameras were unplugged.

"Prior to AD&D most every PC was Neutral in alignment (the few that were not were Lawful). Not that we were enforcing alignment strongly (no "bolts from the blue" or XP penalties for poor alignment play). Players simply picked alignments that they felt generally described their attitude (when you're a kid, you're not interested in "playing in character;" you ARE the character, for the most part. Except now you have a sword or can cast spells). I think that kids, without pre-conceived notions of play, still realize "hmmm...I'm killing things and robbing gold; they may be evil, but I'm not particularly good." At least, I'd like to think that this knowledge of right and wrong is inherent in kids."

Am I a kid? I don't create a personnality for my characters when I'm on the other side of the screen, I just think "what would I do if I were in this situation?" Different experiences differentiate all my characters from each others and from myself (for exemple, I don't murder people with pointy sticks, and I am not rich). I always figured it was more than enough to do interesting roleplaying. That's what motivates me as a player, at least. When I'm the DM, sure, I play a ton of various roles, but as a PC, I just want to be like "I'm a Wizard, fear my wrath!"

How do you roleplay, Veeky Forums?

And this is where I famously said "Well Chief, this is why I keep saying we gotta go digital. This analog setup just isn't reliable."

She takes a big handful of aspirin and knocks it back. Then washes it down with stale coffee, and tells us to get the fuck out of her station.

I don't know if we'll ever play those characters again, but I have a feeling that they've lost their careers.

Lesson of the day? Roleplayers make lousy cops.

Now I want to run a cops game again.

That sounds fine, but I usually like my non-human races to have some special thing that sets them apart, like Darkvision or whatever.

>6 pretending to be a 9

sweet, thanks!

Anyone here Yoon-Suin, the purple land? What are your thoughts about it?

Yo, brah, check this out. Vancian spells, long-ass names and all.

>The Excellent Prismatic Spray
>R: 2" D: Instantaneous AoE: ½" square/level Save: None
>Darts of prismatic fire instantly slay 2d20 hit dice of creatures. 8 HD or more get a saving throw.

Only six levels, which makes it perfect for B/X or the OD&D LBBs.

Judges Guild's Unknown Gods might be worth a look, perhaps - it's as scarce on descriptions as most of their stuff, but there's more personality description than D&D had in their god supplements. Mostly because there's a random disposition table for when they meet the players, since it's a VERY sword & sorcery-esque supplement.

I don't remember, is the Fire God with three hit dice from Unknown Gods or a Pegasus issue?

A dumb question, but is OSRIC and B/X compatible?

It's awesome. I haven't used it to build a setting that I've actually ran but have had fun just making up settings. The appendices are great and worth the price alone: tables for making poisons, drugs, and teas as well as some good hireling tables. definitely worth picking up.

Kinda-sorta. OSRIC isn't an entirely complete game; it's just a restatement of AD&D 1E that was created for legal reasons.

There's a number of differences between Basic and Advanced D&D: notably the size of player hit dice, whether AC9 or AC10 is unarmored, the entirety of the attribute system, race-as-class vs. race-and-class, Gnomes and Half-Orcs being a thing...

Of course, that doesn't mean that the modules and whatnot aren't usually compatible - really, all you need to worry about is that the players might be a bit underpowered if you're using B/X for rules or a bit overpowered if you're using OSRIC. The early monsters are almost entirely intercompatible, since the Monster Manual was from before AD&D moved over to AC10 being unarmored.

It's great for the most part but I remember an user in a thread way back (when it had just come out, I think) proving that the system for deciding prices of trade goods was completely messed up, involving plain absurd things like selling tea below cost, and weird fudges like deciding that one cargo unit of sapphires is actually a pile of unrefined ore from a sapphire mine. That made me wary of using that partiuclar system but most of the book's honking amazing, I especially like artifacts, some of the monsters, and the archipelago biome.

/osrg/ how do you do demons (and hells) in your setting?

In my own, they're beings from a plane of Chaos imprinted with the evils of material beings. They come in a variety of forms, but most commonly a spiked, red skinned mockery of humanoid form (though occasionally beautiful in a sinister sort of way), sometimes winged. They live on enormous flying beasts, tunneling into their flesh and bone and scurrying through the labyrinthine passages like an infection.

There is no solid land, only a poison and ash choked sky filled with floating volcanoes and the flying beasts. The beasts are so large that empires grow on their backs and in their bodies. Some demons are foolish enough to burrow into a beast's brain and try to crash it into another so they can expand their empires, but this sometimes fails and the beast dies, with catastrophic results.

I can see working something out for expelliarmus, but stuff like protego and lumo and alohamora basically are just shield and light and knock, while other stuff would just be kinda busted.
I've always personally felt that accio was busted as fuck and never figured out quite why nobody ever abused the hell out of it in the books

I keep contemplating a Perdition game now that I've read it.

Depends on my setting (I have a few homebrews, as I like worldbuilding. the usual spend hours on stuff players do not care about)

In my current setting (For S&W/LL), the they are beings who come from the outer planes. They range from those who enjoy making humanity suffer, to those who view humanity no more then ants.

The gods, who are the children and grandchildren of the creator god, and their servants who are angels, defend from those from beyond. So even if you worship a chaotic god, its not quite as the same level as someone who worships those who are from beyond.

I tried to use a term (Haraindiko) for these beings. Players just called them demons.

>never figured out quite why nobody ever abused the hell out of it in the books
Because narrative immunity. This is something I think a lot of people don't realize fully about magic systems and similar that they read about in books: almost all of them are nigh impossible to implement in a game because they come from works of fiction with one sole author where all the characters play along and step neatly past the holes. A system that can stand up to a half-dozen people bending their minds to use it creatively to solve tricky problems is a whole other ball game, and it's one of those Mayan ones with knives in the balls where the losers get sacrificed. Typical fiction magic can't stand up to that sort of pressures.

Harry Potter is especially prone to this, like how nobody mentions that the game of Quidditch makes no sense and makes all the players but the gold-ball grabbers irrelevant because the point is to make Harry Potter the most important player on the team. It's basically Sueball.

So what does DCC actually do differently? I have a chance to pick up a book pretty cheaply, but I already own three or four OSR games. What do I get that's new? Pitch that shit.

>GM or player?
GM
>Timezone/times available
TODAY! Monday, November 28th. Starting between 6pm and 8pm (EST / GMT -5). Runtime: 3-ish hours.
>Voice or Text?
Discord voice chat, Roll20 for rolling, etc. Mic mandatory.
>System/setting
Stars Without Number, in the /osrg/ discord server.
>Contact info
@tipsta#3617 (EST/GMT-5) on Discord
>Additional info
This will be a one shot. Premade characters are available if needed.
HOOK: You are part of a small team tasked with investigating an abandoned research facility to retrieve data stolen by an alien crew occupying the derelict structure.

>Harry Potter is especially prone to this, like how nobody mentions that the game of Quidditch makes no sense and makes all the players but the gold-ball grabbers irrelevant because the point is to make Harry Potter the most important player on the team. It's basically Sueball.
Fun fact, Quidditch literally exists to make people angry. She had a bad breakup with a dude who liked football, IIRC.

which is kinda funny as Quidditch Through The Ages is probably her best book

To sum it up simply.

1. It uses a dice system that will step up or down dice used in rolls. Uses extra dice.
2. It starts you out using 4 0 level and poorly equipped PCs. Those who survive the attrition can go on and be heroes. The idea is that you cannot equip a character out at the start, and it weeds out the poor stat and unlucky ones early on.

3. Magic corrupts the spell caster over time.

So is that going to be the next movie, then?

Unless, like, they go for a sequel to Fantastic Beasts. Or go for a Beedle the Bard thing - that might be neat.