Virtual Veeky Forums

Alright, Veeky Forums, it's time to switch gears.

The fact of the matter is that only about half the people who frequent Veeky Forums play games, the rest are here for Fantasy and Sci-Fi Navelgazing. This would be fine, except for the fact that it's led Veeky Forums to stagnate. The community has become toxic, especially towards those who want to create content, like artists, authors, and homebrewers.

So, here's what I propose: let's get Veeky Forums back into gaming. Sure, there's the Game Finder threads, but that's basically a Roll20 Beg Thread at this point. No, let's take the stress out of finding a group and going through that whole slog. RPGs take time and effort, and you guys don't have that. Let's cut to playing some games already. Here's a few resources for virtual games that don't require heavy computer specks or money, but still let you have an enjoyable experience in a hurry:

>MTG
xmage.de
cockatrice.github.io
Both are cross-platform and contain most of the released cardsets.

>Axis and Allies
atwar-game.com
A huge community development means that you can play using countless digital maps, both Real and Fictional.

>Cards Against Humanity
pretendyoure.xyz/zy/
A web-based Card Against Humanity clone. You can enter custom expansion packs. We should build a custom Veeky Forums pack.

>Wargames
So far, in the way of Wargames I have not found a great free Wargame program as of yet. If you have a suggestion I'm all ears for it, but as a Secondary Measure I'm going to start compiling various plug-ins, tools, and Icons for Roll20 that should make running a 1v1 Wargame much simpler.

I will be adding and expanding to this list as the thread goes on. Feel free to provide suggestions and I will add to it.

I hope to post this thread on a weekly basis. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgsolo.com
ifarchive.org
mudconnect.com
discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/
inkarnate.com/users/sign_in#/
deepnight.net/tools/tabletop-rpg-map-editor/
rpgmapbuilder.com/
sourceforge.net/projects/gametableproj/?source=directory
vassalengine.org/index.php
z13.invisionfree.com/vassal40k/index.php
mediafire.com/?99z1mc4anii1p19
freechess.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I like this initiative, user.
I'm into the redaction of a more complete version of Night Shift. A lot of thing are happening around me for now, but in a month or two, I could post the result.

Found this. Not sure if it helps you any but:

rpgsolo.com

Also, what about MUDs? Does Veeky Forums enjoy them and Interactive Fiction?

>MTG
>Card Against Humanity
I recommend you kill yourself instead

Why so Salty user? MTG is a staple of Veeky Forums, and we don't even mention CAH enough to hate it on here, at least I don't think.

MTG may be a staple but you should have stopped and thought WHY CAH isn't mentioned much on here.

I heard tabletop simulator was worth it w/ mod support for war games. 20 Dollars tho.

>Why so Salty
No, really, kill yourself now.

This is neither constructive or helpful. Therefore, you are part of the problem OP try to fix. Please come back when you become more mature.

Honestly? Because it doesn't have a plot. Sure, there's the /b/-tier LoLrandumb bullshit aspect to it, but other than that... it can be a fun game.

Nah. If it's that much of an issue(with more people other than just you) I'll drop the link, but hey, I don't see your attempt at making Veeky Forums better.

>I don't see your attempt at making Veeky Forums better
You are making Veeky Forums worse, so your leaving would improve it.

Please Explain. No, really. How does my goal of giving more people on Veeky Forums the ability to play games detract from the quality of the board.

Forget the Cards Against Humanity thing. Say I had posted a decent chess Sim instead.

That is an option. I'll include links to the MUD and IF Archives in the next OP
ifarchive.org

mudconnect.com

MUDS... the MMO version of a Play by Post.

I'm attempting on keeping this thing as poor fag friendly as possible, but I'll have a Paid option on there, and that does seem to be the best option with a one-time fee and the ability to upload custom models. Fantasy Grounds makes you pay for everything, and Roll20 requires a subscription in order to Script the API.

Add Rolz.org, Fabletop, Board Game Arena, and anydice.com to your OP post.

Also, this is a good thread. I like it.

Noted... though I'm not sure about Anydice. This is mostly a way to get Veeky Forums playing games, not necessarily a list of VirtuaI resources. A virtual FLGS if you will.

>MUD
Why Doesn't Veeky Forums talk about them? I mean, we've got one for Discworld, how is that not like Fa/tg/uy Cocaine?

discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/

Fuck off cunt. Veeky Forums is doing fine. You're pic related.

Why are you capitalizing like a retard? Once again, you should fuck off.

CAH is fucking dumb and you either have to be a complete moron or drunk to enjoy them.

Stop fucking shilling and fuck off. Reported. The reason we don't talk about MUDs is because MUDs generally have terrible combat engines and are used for ERP. If you want to actually enjoy yourself, you go to a MU*, which doesn't have an engine of any sort.

Or you socialize with others and find a group you autistic fuckwit.

I'm honestly up to GMing pretty much anything on Rolz these days - it's a good platform.
Maybe I'll create a campaign in a few days.

NO YOU
This is basically Game Finder thread, I dunno what you are so ruffled about, user.
>Stop liking what I don't like!
t. you
And I too agree that CAH isn't a good game, but, fucking hell, you people are dicks about the most minute things.

Fuck off. At least he's trying to do something for Veeky Forums. You're just proving his point about the community being toxic.

>And I too agree that CAH isn't a good game, but, fucking hell, you people are dicks about the most minute things.

WELCOME TO Veeky Forums!

And you're a fucking SJW tumblr cunt. Fuck off and never come back. He can make it better by leaving and posting in Gamefinder. Nobody cares and nobody wants a separate thread, especially by someone who has a tenuous grasp on the English language.

I agree, OP, great idea.

On topic, does anyone know decent mobile platforms for/ tg/ related games? Some of us are lame and poor and don't have internet access without our phones. I'd like to spend some free time on an online game I can access through my phone.

>Guy starts a thread for people whose schedule or circumstances doesn't allow them to game or form a group.
>FUCK YOU AND FIND A GROUP.

You're the sort of person that makes fun of people in wheelchairs not being able to use stairs, right?

You're supposed to be excellent to each other dude. Not rip into someone for liking the worst card game.

Alright, CAH is officially dropped from the OP.

I also apologize for the capitalization errors. The fault lies with the auto-correct AI that I recently installed on my phone. I'm on my laptop now, so that should no longer be an issue.

>phoneposting

Enjoy your ads.

I use an app that doesn't give me ads. Why would I try and use a mobile device to interact with a desktop webpage? Is that what the whole issue against mobilefags is?

>And you're a fucking SJW tumblr cunt.
How does saying the Veeky Forums community is full of shitposters like you who rage against every little thing constitute being an SJW?

There's the Frotz platform for text-based adventures and CYOA, which is great for solo Veeky Forums gaming if that constitutes as being Veeky Forums-related. Same with MUDs.

I've found that Discord or Slack works rather well for play-by-post games, but you'll need to find yourself a group willing to run on there.

Roll20 also works if you have a tablet with a large enough screen.

>Sure, there's the /b/-tier LoLrandumb bullshit aspect to it, but other than that... it can be a fun game.
So... if you ignore the entirety of the game, it can be fun?

For map creation, Veeky Forums gave me a nice tool last year, so for the newbies and the ones who missed it, I present you Inkarnate.

> inkarnate.com/users/sign_in#/

And Anamap, developped by deepnight.
> deepnight.net/tools/tabletop-rpg-map-editor/

Get with the program, user. All boards now exist for the sole purpose of screaming about how the Jews have affected your hobby. Any deviance means you're a SJW and should be banned.

oops, forget this one. Never tested trough. been dropped by some user a few month ago, saying this was his pet project, nearly finished. he must have ended it by now.

> rpgmapbuilder.com/

Well, Veeky Forums made themselves a CAH pack that was actually pretty good, so I was going off that. other than that, yeah, the game is pretty stupid.

Alright, so perusing SourceForge, I found Vtable, which basically works like Roll20 does, with less features. Anyone think they could run a Wargame with this?

sourceforge.net/projects/gametableproj/?source=directory

I have mixed feelings about this thread. On one end, I disagree on premise that Veeky Forums "needs to get back to gaming" when it's always been like that. If I'm not actively in an active game, I'm working on characters or settings at least at the frequency I'd be at the tabletop. I also disagree that the fantasy and Scifi navel gazing is causing stagnation and chasing away content creators. We still have those, they're just not as engaged with the community as they were in years past. And I can't 100% blame them, Shakespeare gotta get paid. If anything is scaring away content creators, it's certain no-fun elements who respond to things they don't like with such creative statements as "kys" and "go back to tumblr", but this faction is a small minority on Veeky Forums, not representative of half the board.

On the other hand, this is a great potential resource for people who want to get some traditional game on without the commitment that comes with game nights. So perhaps my suggestion is to consider how you frame the thread. Make it more about service than "fixing" anything because it's bound to coax out those who don't think there's anything to fix.

Scrap this, I Just found the goldmine, Vassal.

vassalengine.org/index.php

Looks like someone already made stuff for 40k 7th
z13.invisionfree.com/vassal40k/index.php

mediafire.com/?99z1mc4anii1p19

And It also seems to have support for X-Wing Miniatures, as well as a variety of other stuff.

Virtual Veeky Forums Now supports Wargaming.

Ah, yeah. I guess I was being rather cynical, but it seemed necessary given the content of a number of recent posts. My main goal is to cut down on shitposters. Getting the community in a better, active gaming mood seemed like a good place to start.

You know what, I'm going to disagree that CAH is stupid. CAH is a social game about knowing the boundaries of the people you're playing with and where to cross them. It's about being obscene and offensive and getting a rise, but doing it in person. It's a game that is entirely dependent on inside jokes and social cues, not something that can be mathematically solved. And holy shit, Veeky Forums has some time level material to put together a great CAH deck. Black cards like "Elf Slave what do" and "I'm angry, angry about ______" plus white cards like "peasant rail gun" and "CREEEEED" would make some top quality fun around the tabletop with friends in the know.

For chess players, there's this:

freechess.org/

A large number of chess apps connect to this, the Free International Chess Server, so it's probably the best option for mobile as well.

>opens thread just to be aggressive
Why though?

It's just the generals.. If there weren't so many goddamn generals around, this would be a lot nicer. Fuck Age of Sigmar shit, too. 40k wasn't even that good to begin with.

Probably for the best. One of the better things of CAH is seeing and hearing people's reactions IRL. Sans that, it's just kind of boring without a REALLY good cardset that doesn't promote humor through obscenity.

Yeah, some of the links posted here have been really helpful - MUDs sound kind of interesting, but I never really knew how to find a good one. If OP makes this thread again next week, I think they should change the post body's tone from "let's fix Veeky Forums" to, well, "Virtal Veeky Forums" like they wrote in the title. Focus on suggesting somewhat low-time-requirement stuff for those of us who don't really have 3 hours to schedule a game with friends plus the time to work on the setting/plot/characters outside of that.

IMO shitposting is inevitable. It's an unfortunately reliable way for people to get the attention they crave for very little effort - why should someone bother spending an hour or two writing a story/greentext for just one or two "I read the whole thing, good job" comments (and risking "fuck you what you did was a waste of your time and reading it was a waste of mine") when they can just post "lol jews did 7/11 Trump is behind gamergate sjw sjw sjw" and start a massive argument all by themselves?
Anger is by *far* the easiest emotion to inspire in people, so if someone's lazy yet wants to get validation that they exist and people pay attention to them, they can just throw a small bit of drama and salt in the thread without having to spend effort making something someone should care about (note that I say "lazy" and not "phoneposting", because while it's easier to be lazy and reply with small, useless things on mobile, I know for a fact people've written green, lewd and sfw, on mobile. It just takes motivation and persistence).

I'm really not sure how to deal with generals without creating some sort of repository for popular game systems in the sticky. I mean, it's a possibility, but who would maintain it? Second would be how to deal with all the system-specific questions that don't deserve their own thread. Generals do both for newcomers. And finally some of the critical mass generals create for systems that wouldn't otherwise get for good discussion.

I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just bringing up the problems that generals organically were created to solve.

The problem isn't Generals. It's the way they're used. People are too dependant on them.

This could be considered a general, but it's got such a broad topic that it doesn't have as many problems as a general does.

Pic unrelated, I just never get to use it.

>Why though?
For the (You)s, of course.
>It's just the generals.
Eh, generals tend to pop up no matter what - they're a function of a bunch of people frequently wanting to discuss the same topic. That said, it would be interesting to see what would happen if making a new thread before the old one 404s and linking to the previous one were disallowed. That way, bringing over old arguments would be a bit more difficult. Not impossible, of course, but each thread would be more of a "new start."

That's... an interesting take on it, actually. After all, the decider person chooses based on what they find funniest, not necessarily what's most offensive (the basic deck makes "refuge in obscenity" easy, though). So while it's certainly possible to have a "Veeky Forums related" deck that has such novel combos as "The futa succubi have a new rival... [TEN FOOT DRAGON DONGS]", it's also possible for it to be "My setting is super original! It's like, Middle Earth but instead of Hobbits there's [yet another race of Humans But Differently Sized]!"

> it's got such a broad topic that it doesn't have as many problems as a general does
It's also *one thread old.* Every general seems like a good idea at the start - even in /vp/, the "ITT: we pretend we're in the Pokemon world" stuff spiraled from "haha we're pretending to be /pol/, /v/, /co/, and /soc/ but pokemon-themed, how novel" to "we have established characters, prepare to be ignored if you haven't been here the last 3 threads" within a week.

I'm really happy with how many threads like this we've had recently. It's actually motivated me to get going some writing i had been meaning to do for Veeky Forums. God speed OP. I really hope it hasn't just been you behind these threads, but if it has your a saint.

No, I agree that how a general becomes insulated from the larger board, creating their own micro communities harms the overall quality of the board, isolating content that would otherwise enrich the rest of the community. The problem is that there's no way to regulate how people post in those generals and the threads themselves provide valuable resources that would otherwise get made into multiple superfluous threads that don't provide nearly as much clean, clear information as the OP of a general.

My question is how do we have our cake and eat it too?

well i mean if we took all the resources from the op's in generals all the books and file shares and put them in a single repository and then pinned it so it was just there permanent like we would have all the resources in one thread permanently. Like have a thread where each post is the resource repository from a general and then stick it up at the top like the rules and the "quest is here now" one. True we would get a lot of threads with people asking "what about x" or smaller questions, but those would probably die pretty quickly once they got answered. there and gone you know?

Simple. We figure out a way to teach people to distinguish between a quality post. Like so:

1. Does it Ask a Question?
2. Can the Question be answered with a simple Yes or No?
3. Is there at least one more question that can be asked after the question has been answered?

If so, it deserves its own thread.

Counterpoint:

>>what did he mean by this?
>Does it ask a question? Yes.
>Simple yes or no? No.
>At least one more question? "Is this the best way to deal with interspecies sex?"
That doesn't make it a quality post.

Hmm. a fourth point then, Something to determine whether the post actually has substance.

And now here's the real kicker: who would maintain this repository, these pastebins? Rule changes and fresh official content happen regularly and frequently. New games get made and rise to popularity. Within general communities you're incentivized to keep your resources up to date and since you're a part of it, but there's less incentive to do so across the whole of Veeky Forums, and no matter what, eventually the person who maintains those resources will have life get in the way or lose interest or otherwise leave, and someone would have to build a new resource.

Of course, there are ways around this. A wiki, for example. If these resources could be built on, say, 1d4chan and then linked in the primary sticky, but that would require pretty much every general to agree and cooperate to build such a wiki repository.

You know as well as I do that's impossible to enforce and would never ever happen.

What we need is a Janitor-level Sticky. Something Janitors have access to edit, but no one lower. They're more active than the mods in boards.

Yes... But there is a way to *reinforce* it: We use it as a reply to shitposts the same way that the McGruff Copypasta is used about jacking off before posting. Once it becomes a meme in the system, it'll propagate itself.

Point. why not just roll em into the fileshare thread? I'm pretty sure most of them are in there anyway?

Because that won't work. It's part of the Social Herd mentality.
>"I belong to /5eg/"
>"I belong to /gurpsgen/"
>"I belong to EDH"
>"I belong to /pfg/"
>[All to pfg]"You're a fucking reprobate."

Apologies to Pathfinder players in advance, but I hope you're ashamed of your degenerate OP images

>I hope you're ashamed of your degenerate OP images
We are, it's a shitposter that keeps sniping thread creation and won't fucking leave. Not that there isn't terrible degeneracy in the threads themselves lately.

Again, an off-site wiki could do wonders to maintain those items. Simply require Resource-tagged posts to be edited by someone with an account. But again, that would require some coordination with generals and moderation and the off-site resource.

For reinforcing thread posting etiquette, it's still not gonna happen because it doesn't happen anywhere else on this site. Best chance is to just post Lurk Moar and hope that it derails into something beautiful.

Actually, I'd argue that Veeky Forums can be taught etiquette, simply for one single fact:

The Mr. Rogers Threads.

There's only etiquette in those because of the Mr. Rogers meme. Nobody actually cares, they're just playing along.

I would agree with . There has to be a way to encourage a positive board culture. I believe it can happen. I've seen threads that were downright civil, even threads that weren't Mr.rodgers threads. we just need to figure out what makes the civil threads civil and harness it. Unfortunately i have no idea myself.

What I mean is that there will always be newfags who ask dumb questions and lazy trolls who would rather spam kys than argue logically. We find our own way though, you just have to trust people will want to post quality things and not engage trolls.

Another phone error: "specks" should be "specs".

why no vassal?

Added it here: , because I just found out about it.

>Tfw in the present day and time we still don't have AIs that can even direct the simplistic RP game, or learn the rules of a board game to play it with you

Why?

There's the site mentioned, which looks interesting enough. AI is tough, and board game AI? That exists, but the entire point of this thread is to get Veeky Forums to play games they'll enjoy. Playing against an AI is just playing a game until you find the hole the programmers left in the AI Strategy so you could actually win. Playing against someone else will always be more fun, and potentially more challenging.

Not that kind of AI, the kind of AI with some semblance of general intelligence.

People don't like change. But make the change fast enough and you go from one type of normal to another.

-Terry Pratchett, Making Money

We're attempting to shift the status quo. Change peoples minds enough that when newfags come in, we can get them acclimated, and set them on the right path, because that's the path we're already headed in.

Cleverbot can play a rousing game of 20Q, but I see your point. The problem is that when AI like that is developed, it's used for big picture stuff, not games. You finally get a big, complex AI to do that stuff, and they have it do things like play Jeopardy on TV, not D&D in your basement.

Would a massive Veeky Forums discord server help for game finding?

Only if it were in the OP of the original Game Finder Thread. It would create a group contact list of everyone looking for games on Veeky Forums. basically what Roll20 does, but hopefully you'll get decent gamers because it's Veeky Forums

Maybe I should reframe. What I mean to say is that the etiquette you're describing already exists on Veeky Forums within the acclimated, contributing posters (this of course does not include shitposters and others who do not contribute positively). The problem, from my view, and I could be wrong, is that you likely don't see this as often as in years past because a decent amount of constructive conversation where such etiquette is necessity is happening walled off in general threads, and even within generals twists itself due to the isolation of said threads.

Removal of general threads would force content like that into the open and you'd see that etiquette much more visibly.

That's just it. You can't remove Generals. You can move them to a separate board, but then the decent people will just go there, as with Veeky Forums. Nobody likes /v/ now because of it. We saw the same thing happen with Artists and Authors with the removal of Quests. We can't let that happen again.

I would like to preface this statement by saying that i am neutral on the issue, i do not feel one way or the other about the removal of quests. I am simply trying to educate myself. Why do you feel that the creation of quest had a negative effect on board culture? I personally feel like things are pretty much the same, just now we get people arguing about it all the time. Does quest produce content? I don't know, i haven't really been there. I didn't really ever interact much with quest threads. It's not that i disliked them, its just whenever i tried taking a peek it didn't seem that interesting.

Ok, so, we are NOT turning this into a Quest argument. Period. The mods get on that shit faster than anything else.

That being said, the main thing about Quests was that they did two things.
1. They attracted artists and atorytellers who generated content for the board, both in and out f their threads.
2. They gave an outlet to the gameless, who could pop in and make their contribution, follow a storyline, and roleplay without having to invest much time or effort.

Those are both good things that we have to deal without now, and the results are pretty clear. Bait threads are up, shitposts are up, and the general feel of the board is not good.

But the mods made their decision, so the question isn't "how do we get Quests back?" It's "How do we make the board better without having to lean on them."

>Veeky Forums is "decent people" and /v/ is bad because they moved the generals
Nah, /v/ is shitpost central because it has been that since 2010, not because of autistic k-pop and ksgs getting moved off the board. Veeky Forums is for autists, retards, and faggots and the rare occasional actually decent general thread for something recently released that dies after a month when it's lived it's natural life.

>Moving quests killed artists and authors
Are you off your rocker? Nazimoding and faggots who hated OC killed authors and artists on Veeky Forums, quests were just a pale immigration of the actual genuinely good writefaggotry and artfaging Veeky Forums used to have in the golden days.

My apologies, i never intended to get the argument going here, i just thought since this was a civil thread i may finally get an explanation that consisted of more than profanity and mindless insults.

>We saw the same thing happen with Artists and Authors with the removal of Quests.

No we fucking didn't. These people were only contributing Quest-related content, so their removal went completely unnoticed by the 90% of Veeky Forums which paid no attention to Quests.

I dunno man. There's not much that can match quests roleplay wise for sheer drop in and drop out ability.
The only thing I can think of that is close is play by post, and those are exponentially slower.
There just isn't much for the busy user to play around here any more, I think.

I noticed a sharp drop in content and board quality, actually.
inb4 people call me a questfag and quest arguments begin because everyone is still salty about quests on all sides

Yes. But they were trying. The removal of /qst/ wasn't just the removal of those authors, it was a calling for the removal of everyone of that sort of mindset. "I want to write a story with and for Veeky Forums" was replied to with "We don't want stories to be told on our board." The board was leading up to that for years, but the mods decision was the final nail in the coffin.

I can say with some degree of certainty you imagined it. I left for about a year and a half with quest getting moved about somewhere in the middle mark and there was no noticeable difference in the quality of the posts on the board besides there being more of them to sift through since I wasn't filtering quests anymore.

but user, I just came back after two years and it is much worse than it was when quests were here.

..........have you been tracting user?

if u wanna draw then draw, dont sit around moping
quests were the worst, it was the same 5 diabetic blimps going up each others asses

google says that either is a mormon thing or doing hard drugs.
I don't THINK so.

>Playing games
If this were allowed on Veeky Forums we'd still have Quests. Veeky Forums is only for discussing games, settings, and game mechanics.

Ok then.

>still salty about quests
It's impossible to have these threads or talk about it civilly, everyone is still salty about quests from all sides.
I keep waiting for the salt to die down, but it never does.

Except you know, that anti OC sentiment had been around forever. People fucking whined and cried when tripfags posted OC too, and when writefaggotry was trying to be a meme, or copy old Veeky Forums success stories. Nothing new.

>Now without quests we will never ever have OC writing again, it's the final nail in the coffin!
Stop being so melodramatic, I've seen a few story dump threads that lasted for days in the last week

It's actually been getting measurably worse over Veeky Forums's career as content creation dwindled further and further.
It's actually quite fascinating to watch, since we have an archive almost all the way back.

>t's actually been getting measurably worse over Veeky Forums's career
Then put your money where mouth is and prove it.

Hardmode, prove it has anything to do with what's allowed on the board, and doesn't have everything to do with WHO is allowed on the board (proportions of newfriends versus old grognards)

>all our golden age artists are now gone
>popular sentiment is now that everything that has been done in the past is cringey
It's a weird feeling.

user, if you want to take up the hobby of board observation, go nuts.
I'm not going to demand you prove your inaccurate claims. I'm just going to fill you in that you totally missed the greater pattern.

unfortunately culture has shifted to where being contrarian is considered to be intelligent/refined. It's quite irritating.

Ah, no, that's not what I meant. Really, you can't change any of this Quest business. I've said that over and over again. What we can do is change the way the board is headed. I've done numerous things with and for Veeky Forums. I made the Calvin and Hobbes RPG, I got Virt to stop spamming the same threads over and over again, I suggested we challenge /vp/ to a pokemon battle for the winter ball and kept everyone pumped. I even post a semi-monthly Mr. Rogers thread to keep board Morale. Each time I did something like that I saw the old Veeky Forums come through for me, and do some amazing things, like be good people on a board with no rules, or show some true creativity and support. Veeky Forums can still be like it was. Maybe not exactly like it, but it could hold that same mentality at some point. I want to see that happen.

Well, then, maybe it's time to change.

well, at least they are trackable to the various places artists went after the various culls. Some of them.