Tell me Veeky Forums...

Tell me Veeky Forums, what's the biggest reveal or plot element you pulled out of your ass without warning or foreshadowing?

How does a zombie get a boner?

The wizard ended up hoisting himself by his own petard because his archrival (who killed his master) set him up.
Basically, the wizard made a series of grave mistakes out of pride I had banked on happening because I knew how to read the player, and he ended up in Hell down to his last two spell slots (both below 3) while said archnemesis was at full.

I inverse ninja law'd an encounter where the party had to escape a ship that they had just blown up.

One of the better sessions, since the environment was just as much of a mutual enemy with masts falling and random gunpowder barrels exploding and rolling up and down the ship as the actual enemies.

>Tell me Veeky Forums, what's the biggest reveal or plot element you pulled out of your ass without warning or foreshadowing?

Deck of many things.

You put one of those in your campaign, I guarantee it will be a TPK.

Players are quite greedy, and cannot resist its siren call.

forgot pic.

I'll admit that I've been playing DnD for almost a decade, and I can't help but fall for a deck of many things. I keep remembering that ONE TIME that it did something good.

My DM once decided that a drow lieutenant we had just beaten was actually an old friend in disguise, working as a mole.
We killed him anyways

Went through a session where a character was being an edgelord (they're normally a good druid, not sure why they wanted to suddenly be an antihero). Proceeded to waste everyone's time trying to torture two kidnappers for information. Eventually as they began to leave and walked to the front of the building and we're thinking of going back again I just killed the two thieves, they walked back in to their throats being slit and the party proceeded to freak out enough to just leave town.

>I keep remembering that ONE TIME that it did something good.

YYYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!! THAT IS IT'S POWER!

And if you REALLY want to have fun.... tell them that they get infinite draws from it.

I guess this kinda had foreshadowing, but
>First time DMing, giving it a test whirl before I start a whole campaign
>Party arrives to king, assigned to kill some goblins killing the civilians
>Party manages to kill the king, and become the new kings
>Chaotic Neutral guy gets real excited, says "Bring me my people, we need an audience"
>There are no people, the goblins killed them
>mfw
What an experience that was

can't they just draw until they get fates and undo all the bad things they drew before that?

This is the start of a campaign.

>The party wakes up in a bar, all at the same table.
>Deck of many things is in the center of the table.
>The room is empty, otherwise, and each of the players are either sweating profusely or covered in blood that is not their own.
> Go.

>can't they just draw until they get fates and undo all the bad things they drew before that?

yes, they CAN... that's the point user... that's the point!

You can draw only good things, or reach the fates card and undo the bad things.

You aren't going to draw the card that summons a shadow dragon, or the one that imprisons you under the earth....

And you certainly aren't going to draw the card that traps you in limbo, or the astral plane forever.

Go ahead, pick one!

What can it hurt?

An enemy NPC had been crushing hard on one of the female PCs. Said NPC was of muslim faith, specifically the ones that consider honor killings acceptable(forgive me, it's been a while since I've read up on the differences between the two), and the PC was described as having about the same skin color, with very effeminate features, wearing skin-tight clothing, and with red hair, giving her an exotic look.

He had begged and bribed his way out of an arranged marriage in hopes of getting her, knowing full well that, if he didn't, it would bring extreme dishonor to both families.

She was a lesbian. He did not take this fact well. At all. Like, "we've suddenly a boss encounter, wat do," not well.

>Demon of Khorne really hates the party psyker.
>Said party psyker has on an armored void suit and has magnetic boots.
>Party is walking towards mcguffin towards most obvious route
>Charges on the outside of the ship blast a circular chunk of it free as the psyker is walking across
>Demon strolls around from the other side with magnetic boots, a huge grin, and while doing her damnest to smoke a cigar in zero atmosphere.
Player complains
>She knew you were coming, you knew she was here, and now you will have an awesome fight on a chunk of goddamn space debris hurling from the ship or I will declare your ass dead right now.
>Player is lucky as shit and survives anyway, fight goes down in history for sheer badassery.
>People remember that he won, people remember that it seemed to come out of nowhere, now and then people bring up that I blindsided him with that shit.

No one realizes that the reason they all remember him being a badass is because I never gave even a hint of what was to come.

Created a crowning moment of badass and still get shit for it.

>The GM they needed, not the GM they wanted.

As an example:

I was running a campaign once (1st level, all munchkin party, because they always were)

Started party off in elf village, because why the hell not.

Some magical hijinks later, they were in a moseleum sort of thing, with the deck of many things just resting on a stone table, because again... why the hell not?

Fighter player draws first, Moon, he gets 2 wishes.

Fighter player draws again, Comet (win next encounter and gain 1 level plus half experiance for level after that)....

So I make a shadow dragon appear and challange him.

He smirks cause he has wishes, says "I wish the dragon was defeated"

I grin smugly "The dragons feet are now gone"

he does that "Throws hands in the air in disbelief" thing.

I say "You still have one wish"

He says, "I wish the dragon died right now"

First wish took quite a few HP from the dragon, so I let it slide.... Dragons dead, he levels and gets some more XP.

Fighter draws next card: Flames. Fire elemental comes in and wastes him.

Rouges turn: draws a card, Vizier (gets to ask a question that gets a DM level answer) he asks if it is bennificial to draw from the deck again.

I check the next card: Skull (defeat powerful undead alone) I reply "Maybe" because XP.

He draws next card: Something like a zombie appears, wastes him.

Second Fighter draws card: Throne, he gains wealth and a castle.

Second fighter draws again: Idiot, he loses some int points (smug because fighter and INT was dumpstat anyway)

Second fighter draws again: Void, his soul is sent to limbo.

TPK, game over.

Aren't moon wishes supposed to be as though you cast the actual spell Wish? That is, they're up to the player's interpretation.

Outside of a list of things that always works, the spell wish is up to the DM's interpretation, not the player's.

>Aren't moon wishes supposed to be as though you cast the actual spell Wish? That is, they're up to the player's interpretation.

All wishes are up to DM's interpretation unless they mimic the effects of an 8th level spell or lower.

Dragon was sufficiently powerful that an 8th level spell wouldn't have outright killed it, only severely harmed it.

IIRC the dragon dropped a magic item or something, in exchange for needing 2 wishes to kill it. I don't remember what it was.

>spoiler

Why? Is it because someone was racist?

Only if they live long enough.

It was all an illusion

>Party manages to kill the king, and become the new kings
What a terrible group.

>I grin smugly "The dragons feet are now gone"
You're a cunt.

>I wish the dragon was defeated
>the dragons feet are now gone

Defeated has not ever meant "had feet removed" so basically you're just a stupid faggot.

And defeeted is not a word so you can't claim homonym.

Wish almost always includes a much better thing to do in its own description when a player wishes for something stupid like a powerful artifact or that their opponent was dead, that still actually grants the wish invoked. The classic solution is to send them to a time when the enemy is now dead (the distant future for a dragon) or to simply send them to right where the artifact is (which is almost certainly a one way trip).

But no, you went with childish wordplay. 0/10 would not play with.