D6 / Mini Six

What does Veeky Forums think of these systems? Any successful campaigns using them? How about settings or houserules?

Other urls found in this thread:

banzaidyne.wordpress.com/heavy-gear-d6/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The rules themselves are solid, but nothing really speaks out for it so I doubt few people will actually go out of their way to play Mini Six. That said, I would love to try a game or two of it to see how well it handles.

It's very plain and simple. There's nothing really all that remarkable about it beyond its simplicity, which is simultaneously one of its strengths and one of the biggest strikes against it.

I guess the most outstanding thing about it is it has some decent fixes for the WEG D6 Blasterproof Wookie problem.

It looks interesting at a glance, though I wonder how well the dice mechanics work in practice.

I'm not a huge fan of what looks to be putting people near the stat caps by default. Split evenly, everyone starts with 3 out of 4 in every stat, while 2s seem to be average. Would be easy to house rule down a few dice in a more realistic setting, though.

It looks like you'd be rolling 5 or 6 dice often, which will cement a number of rolls around a given range. Someone rolling 6d6 (their best skill at chargen) would result around 18-24 most of the time and almost always beat anyone 4d6 or less. Which makes sense in a way I guess. Plus the wild dice gives a (very slim) chance of someone pulling off something exceptional.

The math can be a little weird.

The wild die is a shoddy patch at best, in most circumstances if someone has two or more dice more than you you will virtually never succeed in an opposed roll against them, the only chance you have is spending CP to close the dice gap temporarily, but that'll only do you good for a handful of rolls across an entire session.

Yeah, though, on the flip side, isn't that somewhat more realistic?

Assuming a skill of 2 is 'trained' and 4 is 'master', the master is usually going to win, and the dice reflect this difference. Plus there's a small chance (about 14%) of getting a bonus die when your opponent does not, which equals it up a little.

One of my gripes, is the wound system. There are too many wound levels to my taste and they don't have a linear progression (1-3, 4-8, 4-8, 9-12, 13-15, 16+). Also, Soak is rather high, making combat taking longer than needed.
Ex. A heavy pistol does 4d6 damage which would give an average damage score of 12. An average person has Might 2d, which would give 6 points of soak. To kill this average and non-armored guy, you'd need to shoot him five times with a heavy pistol (.357 Magnum or up).

Another gripe is the short stat and skill list. I had planed to make a Mini Six: Resident Evil conversion but finally gave it up. Most PCs would have been the same as all STARS members needs decent scores of Might, Agility, and Intelligence. Also, everyone needs Brawling, Knife, Athletics, Dodge, and Pistol.

Next and final gripe is how firearms are handled. It's never really explained but reading through D6 system, rifles do their full damage when firing bursts. Firing single shot would reduce damage by 2d. How much damage does a SMG do? How many rounds are in a burst? How many rounds are in one magazine? How long does it take to reload a magazine fed weapon? How long does it take to reload a revolver or shotgun? It's never explained, and you have to house-rule it all.

With everything I have to house-rule, I might as well play a more complicated system.

>How much damage does an SMG do?
Most SMGs use light pistol calibers. If the difference between a single-shot from an assault rifle and a burst shot is 2d, then add 2d to the light pistol and, voila, an SMG.

>How many rounds are in a burst?
Three round burst is the standard used by most militaries. Five-round burst does exist, though, but it's not common as a standard feature. Seems like, from what you've said, each additional shot in a burst adds 1d, so a five-round burst would be 2d higher than a three-round burst.

>How many rounds are in one magazine?
This varies from rifle to rifle, but the AK-47's basic box magazine(the curved one you usually see them loaded with) holds 30 rounds, meaning that it gets ten three-round burst-fire shots.

>How long does it take to reload a magazine fed weapon?
>How long does it take to reload a revolver or shotgun?
Usually one to three seconds if you're just putting another magazine in. If you're having to load the magazine itself, this can take much longer, depending on if you have a clip to put into an empty magazine or if you're hand-loading.

For a revolver, they make clips, little round things with holes for six bullets, holding them in place, usually, with a magnet, and using a push button to dislodge them from it once you've put it into the cylinder. This can take a second, maybe two. If you're hand-loading, it can take longer.

For shotguns, you're loading each round by hand, and most pump-action shotguns hold six to eight shells. Considering you can only hold a few shells in your hand at once, this means it's probably going to take you two to three seconds to go from empty to fully loaded.

Whatever the equivalent action to those few seconds would be. Or, if you wanted to streamline it, just have one-handed and magazine-fed weapons take one second(or eq.) and single-action long arms longarms, like shotguns and rifles, take two or three seconds

Doesn't seem very hard to me, just a lot of common sense stuff.

>voila, an SMG.
It's not that simple. Because if an assault rifle like a M-16 or AK-47 does DMG 5d6 in burst mode, it does DMG 3d6 in single shot, which, illogically, would be less than the light handgun does (DMG 3d6+2).

If we consider that 5d6 is the DMG for single shot, then the assault rifle would do 7d6 when firing bursts, which seems too high as it's as much as the Plasma BFG does. Also, as the shotgun does DMG 4d6+2, it seems logical that an assault rifle cannot do DMG 5d6 in single shot - that would be ok for a battle rifle or sniper rifle, but not for an assault rifle.

Fix:
Basic damage should be as such: assault rifle 4d6+1, SMG 3d6+2, battle rifle/GPMG 5d6. Firing a short 3-round burst does +1d6 DMG (assault rifle 5d6+1, SMG 4d6+2, battle rifle/GPMG 6d6). Firing a long 10-round burst could do 2d6 more damage (assault rifle 6d6+1, SMG 5d6+2, battle rifle/GPMG 7d6). In turn a heavy rifle like a M82A1 should do around DMG 7d6+2 or 8d6. While grenades would do 8d6 but covering a whole area. Of course this would imply to redo the whole weapon list, especially the heavy weapons.

For the reloads I had already written a possible solution, but all this should be in the basic rules and we should not have to make it up. Instead of having 5 settings, we should have better rules.

easy fix: play fantasy, scrab guns.

I've got a few neat modules I'd love to share; please keep the thread open for an hour or so so I can get access to my PC. The modules include a fantasy Feudal Japan, Far Cry Primal-styled fantasy in pre-historical times, and a quick module for Gunfights in the Old West a-la Tombstone.

Bumping.

This'un's the Fantasy Japan.

Thus'un's the Fantasy Pre-History, a-la Far Cry Primal and various real-world pre-metal cultures.

And finally, this'un's the quick-draw gunfight module.

Bumping for interest. Looking at Mini Six and wondering if it'd be suitable for lighthearted high fantasy.

My group whipped up a pirates of the spanish main game using d6 - fun as all hell! I suspect it would work out for fantasy, too.
If it works for translating the star wars movies to game format, it should work for your needs.

I'd say to look over the Rust Moon of Castia sample setting in the book, because that is basically Willow. Like even if you don't use it, it obviously gives you stuff you could use for doing high fantasy in the system.

Even without that it does have a magic system already and a fantasy bestiary that you could tool around with.

Mini-Six is what got me into D6 games. Had hardly any complains about it but found myself more inclined towards D6 Legend which is sort of the back bone for Shadowrun.

Does the system collapse with the removal of "hero points" in the same way I've been led to believe Savage Worlds does without "bennies?"

Does D&D collapse when you remove hit points?

What do you expect to happen if you remove a core part of a system without adjusting or replacing anything?

In the few games I ran people pretty much forgot about hero points and it still ran pretty smoothly. It was more exciting for my players to get several sixes on the wild die than to spend a point to get a +6.

>Does D&D collapse when you remove hit points?
not really - hp matter on low levels anyway

Absolutely horrible system. Terribly formatted, the stat system is stupid, and Charm is a fucking dump stat through and through. It'd be like GURPS having Charisma as +/- 20 character points.

No autofire rules, the shitty reroll/luck points are just autistic, and the character creation numbers are arbitrary and lack balance.

The damage system also sucks ass and balls, no one wants to track "slightly wounded" or "slightly more wounded", just use fucking hit points already. The arbitrary rules-y effects for each wound level smack of D&D 3.5 and make the whole wound level thing almost pointless, because why have it if it doesn't reduce bookkeeping?

Also equally matched combatants hit each other >50% of the time due to the autistic Dodge calculations so it ends up like GURPS 3e, where you essentially have an auto-hit fest. Especially at higher tiers of play where the high numebrs of d6 make the rolls more "centralized"

The magic rules are puerile, uninspired crap with useless moon runes tacked on for some retarded fucking reason.

The vehicle system is garbage, but then most vehicle systems are. Fucking d20 Modern had a better vehicle system than MiniSix or Savage Worlds.

Also the scope of play is vastly different as a 2d6 is a completely different league than 1d6, and less so with 3d6 vs 1d6. It's like 6th level v.s. 1st level. There's almost no point to even rolling. If you understand logarithms you understand the issue here, and the issue with all dice pool systems.

Overall, a shitty 3/10 game. Only got a scond look cause it was based on d6 open.

Eh. It just seems like every system I look into has these meta-reward points, and I have a player who is particularly not into those.

Rolled 3, 5, 3 = 11 (3d6)

We know him, he's constantly spazzing out about it on Veeky Forums.

best d6 dice pool game?

I don't agree completely, but for the wound levels and the combat system I surely do.

While I hate Hit Points, I also find that 7 wound levels (6 actually but with one being double) is too much. Four levels should be ample enough. "Lightly wounded" for when it hurts but otherwise you still can act without problem due to adrenaline. "Seriously wounded" for when you still can act but get physically impaired by the wound. "Critically wounded" for when wounds will maybe kill you if you don't have medical care soon. Acting is still possible, but you'll have big penalties due to shock and broken limbs - you should better be resting. Then you have "mortally wounded". Don't worry about pain and horror, you're going to a better place. Acting is only possible at the cost of Hero Points per round.

Been running cool campaigns with this adaption
banzaidyne.wordpress.com/heavy-gear-d6/