Why are you not playing a kitsune?

Why are you not playing a kitsune?

Because I have some damn self respect.

My group would kill me.

/thread
404 get confirms

Because they're too powerful to be a playable race.

The game I'm running takes place in a mashup of feudal China and Japan and is full of animism and spirits and wuxia and shit like that, and kitsune have a very specific place in the setting's cosmology.

Give me one good reason why I should, and i'll consider it. ONE.

Because I'm playing a Catfolk rogue.

Because you're playing Golden Sky Stories, and you want that sweet, sweet five hundred in spare change you get from you shrine half of which is just disguised acorns that your tanuki friend put in there because they wanted you to be happy even though they don't actually understand money at all.

That's... actually a pretty good reason.

I suspect they may not exist in the setting, or else aren't playable, or else I'd be looked askance at for openly consider it. Anyway, I'm not sure if they'd be suited to a character of a soldiering or scholarly background, like what I'm considering for my next character. They're more of a trickster archetype, aren't they?

I prefer goats

>I prefer goats

I've got a swashbuckler /investigator gestalt build I'm itching to build for such a game

(you)

How could I justify Kitsune and Goatfolk in a near future sci-fi setting?

I'd rather play as a Kumiho.

Aliens?

Yadda, yadda, aliens.

Yadda, yadda, uplifted races.

Yadda, yadda, genetic engineering.

Cosmetic gene-mods.

Huli Jing are superior!

Because I'm not some uggo fagboy like you, OP.

Fuck off back to /pfg/.

Because I'm not a disgusting degenerate ripe for being dragged to the ovens by absolutelly disgusted /Pol/acks.

Animal people are usually best when they have traits of animals but are still distinctly human looking. That way you can have both one person with the qt animal-girl/boy aesthetic and another character of the same race looks more beastial thanks to accessories. This can also be used for the character presentation and development, based on how much they accept or reject their animality. Barbaric brutes discard could their goat helmets and reverse-legged goat hoof boots to show their soft and pale face, and the once kind-hearted animal-folk could into a monstrous masked mass-murderer ranting about how we're all animals and shit.

>>UNDERSHIT
FUCK NO NOT AGAIN.

because catpeople>kitsune.

because I'm playing a Kobold

tbqh fampai, the kobolds are just as much a meme race as kitsune.

Some people unironically enjoy memes and there's nothing (much) wrong with that.

Because that wouldn't fit into a single game I have played, and unlike some people. Not necessarily you. Just saying some people. You know the ones. I don't try and force that shit you uncreative weeb garbage. Like could you not think of anything other than the done to death pop culture exploited yokai kitsune have become?

That and shapeshifters really work better as things players aren't allowed to be. They tend to balance poorly for pc play. You either have to gimp the ability to the point where it is naught more than an illusion, or super fiddly.

I want to have a waifu, not be the waifu! On second thought, leaving in easy mode IS appealing

No. Beast races should be beasts. You can have a human or other racial culture dressing up as beasts but beastmen shouldn't be cute quasi humans hiding under masks, that's ridiculous. Don't you want a little diverse fantasy in your fantasy? And if not why do you need a different race for dressing up as beasts?

>should be
>shouldn't be
nah m8

For the record, I am going to assume that we are talking about beastmen for the purpose of playing in an RPG, which has to be inclusive of what players want to do as well as provide possibilities of good storytelling with the context of the setting.

The point of making them demihumans rather than full on walking talking animals that they have a better chance to fit into a predominantly human society. They could fit in a crowd, it's not far fetched, it's not jarring, it's clearly possible, but the animal features are what's stopping them from already being in it. Players might not want to leap to such extremes of being a literal lion walking the streets of Hong Kong and all the odd ways that could turn out. By making them demihuman, they get some of the racism that a beastfolk character is bound to receive while not being tranquilized and shipped to the zoo, but each character can personally measure how much they want to give to their beast side, in both aesthetics and in demeanor, so there's no reason your catfolk brawler can't have a lion's mane and meaty hands as well as being a beast in the shape of a man.

By giving beastfolk a spectrum of human to beast to express themselves, the beastfolk become more diverse among themselves, and in a larger society it's still equally as diverse if not moreso than having primarily animal beastfolk. They can come into conflict with each other over how they view their own race and what they should be doing with their racial traits. Beastfolk don't need to dress up like beasts. They can dress up like folk, too, and the beastfolk that dress like beasts may call them race traitors and shit.

Demihuman beastfolk is better for storytelling.

What's the point of playing furry-tier races? If you're going bestial, might as well embrace it and go full Minotaur tier. All the appeal of being non-human is lost if it's practically human anyway. I'm looking at you, elves and dwarves.

If I was gonna be a human with cat ears, I'd just play a barbarian who cut some off then wears them. Nyah.

Because forever GM.

As someone who actually likes demihuman beastfolk, is a good explanation why. And you're wrong, appeal is not lost just because it looks human, ironically it's the opposite. Something that looks human, can blend in with humans, but isn't human offers as much roleplaying opporunities and potential interactions with party as "hurr i'm a noble savage minotaur man".

>If I was gonna be a human with cat ears, I'd just play a barbarian who cut some off then wears them. Nyah.
Call me a furry, but there's an actual difference between races with natural animal ears and humans who are just wearing them.

This guy right here.

Khajiit are as human as I go and still call it a beast race.

The worst way to do anything beast race or monster race related is going for the anime "monster girl" where the only real difference is the choice of costume shop ears.

If you are not going divergent then just use variations of ethnic race don't try feeding me a "beast race" but just have them as ugu girls in cosplay.

Why should I?

what if humans are beast race

>Demihuman beastfolk is better for storytelling
Beastmen being weird almost aliens seem more fun to me, thouh.
Nohing is objective, anyway

>Call me a furry, but there's an actual difference between races with natural animal ears and humans who are just wearing them.

Maybe when you give some world building context sure but to anyone looking at them no, there isn't. They won't come off any different than using Anatolians opposite Guals at a cursory glance.

If the only real difference is ear shape and maybe longer canines but otherwise pass for human you may as well just use a different ethnic group of human. You get all of the same role play options as you would with them as a different species that blends in its just now ethno-centric in the root. Nothing changes beyond aesthetic.

You do your games however you like man but going with anime-esque beast folk races is more bland than elves and dwarves.

If I'm going to join into the non-human discussion, can I just say that human but with numbers. And this somewhat even covers the centaur/minotaur at least in how some games might handle it. Is a shit way to do it.

Non-humans shouldn't just be represented by numbers on a page with the player or gm handling the rest with how that character is played. It relies too much on the non-human aspects involving knowledge and adherence to some vague idea. Conflict can easily sprout up if both the gm and player's interpretation and as a result implementation of these ideas differ. When roleplaying occurs naturally maintaining this sync is damn hard, and it can lead to disappointment.

I'm not saying roleplaying isn't and shouldn't be a major part of it. It just can't be the sole component or it really just loses meaning. Especially if you're trying to make the race mysterious (at which point it shouldn't be player controlled, because nothing spoils a mystery like letting everyone in on it).

I like to feel every disadvantage a race places on me, think if only I were human I wouldn't have to think around this. And abuse every advantage possible so that others think think the same. That objective root cements a race no matter how an individual is played.

I'm with you. It needs to be divergent enough to actually feel like a different species altogether.

>Maybe when you give some world building context sure but to anyone looking at them no, there isn't.
The same is with elves and dwarves, or weird alien races, or even humans. If you just sprinkle some vaguely human races or cultures without any care or subtlety it's gonna feel bland. There needs to be justification or them, and if we assume that "furry" and "non-furry" beast races are equally justified, in the end it's just an aesthetic choice.

This
Nah m8
For me the qgole point of beastmen is for them to stand out and be weird so let's agree to disagree.

Do what fits your game but this is my opinion

but not so divergent so that the human playing it can, well, actually play it. Bit of a tricky balance. I understand why humans with numbers is the go to. It's the easy way out.

The difference with elves and dwarves is that there is already a cultural meta from generic fantasy. Background is needed to explain how they are different from the already existing idea of elves and dwarves. But even then elves and dwarves are meant to be similar to humans in many ways.

Beast folk in the animal ears sense does not have a meta paradigm beyond acting like plain old anime characters with the odd ear twitch. People will assume "human with animal ears" because that is what they encompass without delving into culture.

Full animalistic beast folk already conjure non-human behaviors for people based on what creatures they are characterized with. Animals have many characteristics based on the species that we readily identify. Foxes are cunning, cats nimble and aloof, tigers solitary and dangerous, crows as intelligent but avaricious etc. Its a major reason anthropomorphic design is so common in human media. The stronger the beast association the stronger connection to the traits it details. The closer a portrayal is to human the more human it is.

I'm of the camp that animal eared humans are too human to warrant the title of beast folk.

Can we have some fox-folk art then?

What aout playing as a Monstergirl?

I don't see a problem with any of this (and i have used both human and non-human like beasfolk.)

Generally, i use nonhuman ones when i need BEASTfolk and human ones when i need beastFOLK. Humans with animal ears are good at conjuring the image of civilized people who still retain some features of original animal, physical or behavioral (and i'm not talking about "kawaii uguu catgirl" behavior, i may be a degenerate but i still have some dignity). Animalistic beastfolk are amazing when your setting calls for spooky things in the woods, not necessarily 100% alien (or they wouldn't be even remotely playable), but strange and with different reasoning than humans.

just because elves and dwarves have established themselves doesn't mean they're less lazy when used the way they are.

Want to make elves immortal ponces in tune with nature? Then they better be affected by nature going with the flow and all that, bit less free willed. And that immortal ponce facade tends to fall apart when they're functionally just humans with pointy ears.

Same goes for dorfs, don't even get me started with fucking gimli impersonators.

Also
>Foxes are cunning, cats nimble and aloof, tigers solitary and dangerous, crows as intelligent but avaricious.
And I can come up with different associations. You're assuming everyone thinks of those animals in the same way. Though I agree fully on the topic of animal ears.

Because I actually have a group of people to play with.

>playing kitsune
what, so I can be another kitsune swordmaniac waifu?

No fuckweed, I wanna be a Wolfman boxer, and I'm gonna be a Mastiff version of Rocky.

>Looks human, blends with humans, but isn't human.
To what degree? If it can produce biological offspring with humanity, then the genetic difference is so limited that no one would care. It'd be as forgotten as skin color.

It offers less potential interactions, unless they are so sufficiently alien from humans both genetically and culturally that they have irreconcilable differences. Otherwise, the cultural affects on society will be mitigated and muted.

The best chance for the whole, "We're different but similar" is if they were somehow different enough genetically to not produce offspring. In which case, more than ears are needed. Or tails for that matter. More like different brain structures, new cell processes and organ placement. They shouldn't look like a human with cosmetic changes, or biologically be human with some cosmetic changes. Otherwise, they simply are.

Worse. Who decided it was a good idea to fuck a monster? Or if these always existed, why haven't people tried to fuck monsters?

Anime was a mistake.

>"Who decided it was a good idea to fuck a monster?"

When's the last time you DIDN'T hear about a half-human character? Humanity will stick its dick in anything and everything if it feels half decent.

Hi.

Humans still kill each-other over the fucking melanin levels in their bodies. You expect me to believe they're gonna fuck something that actively WANTS to kill them? Come on, I mean. I guess like Dogs and shit make sense, you have good memories with dogs and that can turn into creepiness real fast. But how can a creep even mount a giant spider-queen and plow that? Are all adventurers secretly weirdos with monster fetishes? They don't slay, they instead spread their seed?

Now THAT'S a response I'll take. All the same, how does it work genetically? That is far too damn different!

Been there done that. Took prehensile tail options and was firing with a six-shooter on every limb that wasn't holding me up.

>be adventurer
>see talking tree
Duty calls.

(9months later)...

Well dragons generally fall under the category of magic stop asking questions. More importantly what makes you think that dragon has any intentions of children, and isn't just in this to fuck the queen and or princess. Fuck if I can tell, but kingy looks upset.

user, everyone knows that Adventurers are the Ditto of the fantasy worlds. You put them together with anything female, and there is ALWAYS a chance that there will be kids later

It's one of those hidden occupational benefits.

But I am.

>Are all adventurers secretly weirdos with monster fetishes?
i take it you haven't been on Veeky Forums for long?

Yeah, yeah. But we're talking about groups any sane person would actually associate themselves with. No you degenerates.

Because I play Kumiho instead.

>not fucking the Femme Fatale vampire nympho
>not planting seeds in the Dryad's garden

You are a disappointment.

But user, if you weren't a degenerate you wouldn't have been here.

the funniest thing is, Veeky Forums is actually pretty puritan as long as game groups go.

Yeah, erps have that e for a reason. They're separate. You have a hobby good for you.

Haha, sure they are. I've gamed with the group finder thread. Open up with nah I understand it ain't no erp. Reveal to the party a few weeks later that they can't play characters without lewd undertones at a minimum.

I keep my wanking and my dicing separate thank you very much.

back to /qst/ with you hornfag!

I never said it wasn't lazy just that if you are using stock elves and dwarves you don't really need a in depth discription.

If you have an image of a stock human-but-with-cat-ears people tend to assume the role associated with aforementioned anime traits. Not beast folk in the fantasy sense. That was what I was trying to say.

I wish that poor board didn't become a breeding ground for shitty fanfic-tier "quests".

It could have been great, but nazimod enabled the weeb faglords.

Adventurers are all multi-classing into bards confirmed. With that general idea of how Veeky Forums thinks, I'm going to get ready for morning duties. This was enlightening, thanks.

>Veeky Forums is incredibly puritan.
Could that be because trying to force ERP onto a non-ERP group results in horrifically awkward and silly situations that no one whose played TTRPGs for any real length of time actually wants to go through?

Also
>not everyone views animals the same way
I know. They were meant to be some examples of common characterizations in folk tales, fables, and myth that use animals; not as a hard guideline to those trait associations.

>Fan-fic tier
That was 90% of quests here before the board migration.

I'm pretty sure the 90% comes from the oodfag exaggeration, and not the actual amount. Even for sarcasm, that's a bit far.

Besides, the migration just enabled them more, and now it's a gathering place for CYOA quests so dry of any potential, it might as well be fanfic. net

Money, bio-engineering, decadence.

there is an actual erp quest there and it's proven to me that the whole board should be glassed, and then remade.

Pretty much. That and Veeky Forums is on average more paranoid about magical realm and THAT GUYS.

I'd argue that Demihumans being more human than beasts and adding a little bit of identity politics in there allows for more developed characters and more interesting sides to take shape, and that a setting being alien and weird for its own sake without any themes backing it is detrimental to the experience, but I can't prove that demihumans are more fun for you and I'll let you live.

This is a huge part of the tabletop concept of races that I'm surprised isn't talked about all that much. Race is means a lot in context, and without that solid context, race loses what made it special and just becomes a different assortment of stats and a costume.

I did run quests involving goats, but never really on /qst/. I just found it while browsing /qst/ during its early days, and I thought it was cute until I found out where it came from and saw everything else about it. I'm still in a love-hate relationship with it because I love sagely goat people, but I can't take anything with "haremhorn" as a concept seriously and that really snuffs out my ability to share it but let's not talk about that.

Its because Veeky Forums has mostly already experienced every flavor of THAT GUY imaginable and probably several that not even our collective worst nightmares could dream up, and find all of them to be awful, horrible people that should NOT be allowed to spawn more of their utter filth into the gene pool.

>Furries with more money than sense like to aug themselves up with cosmetics made to look like animal parts, the most popular this year are the Foxfire Editions of the Cyberdyne Inc. FUH-Z 2000 Audio Enhancement Receptors and the FLU-FI Tail Cosmetic Augmentation. Because the Foxfire line takes inspiration of the fur patterns of various species of foxes, users are typically dubbed "Kitsune" after the mythical Japanese fox spirit.

Done.

As much as I obsess over cute things, I don't want to play as them.

>wise old billygoat shamans
>motherly goatlady caretakers who love tappig their heads against a child's forehead, as a form of ritual greeting

I like taking real life animal details and applying it to homebrew/semi-existing races.

>Rocky the Rottweiler boxer
This is my next character, fuck what my GM says I want to be a swoledog boxer

Pleasure model artificial humans

I'm working up to it and don't want to scare my group.

You can't just walk up to a group and slap down that you're a kitsune. You need to build a foundation as a good player by playing the more mundane stuff first.

But Khajit go full animu style catgirl once in a blue moon

What are typical signs of a Human-Kitsune/Kumiho/Huli Jing half-breed? Powers, color of the eyes, temperament?

>Don't you want a little diverse fantasy in your fantasy?
Use khajiit if you want catfolk diversity.
There are khajiit that are:
Intelligent house cats.
Fucking real tigers.
Ones seen in TES games
Ones that looks like qt elfs with cat ears and fur.
There are also different breeds that I don't remember. All of it based on under which moon khajiit was born, so genetics mater autists can fuck themselves to death cause muh magic.
So in one diverse race you have most of furry shit going on and you don't fall into:
>Only humans have racial diversity
meme

Fluffy tails.

Dead father?

> Any additional tails may kill my shadowrun foxgirl through lack of Essence
> Awoos are better anyway.

clearly, the answer is cyberzombie kitsune

I'm not sure her sugar daddy's funds would stretch to that.
Although she's only a few bits of metal off the girl on the right.

Kitsune pics and art? Sure.

>Why are you not playing a kitsune?
Because humans have objectively better stat lines for most of the classes out there, and are also much more powerful as a whole.
So have fun with your low tier Kitsune Ninja or whatever, I'll be re-writing reality on a whim with my Human Wizard

Monstergirls, be it from Kencou Cross or in a setting based of Kencou's Monstergirl encyclopedia are pretty OK.

There are Monstergirls worth being in relationship with.