Mornington Crescent

How about a round of the oldest, most sophisticated traditional game, Veeky Forums?
We'll play by Leicester Standard, as that's obviously the best choice for our particular circumstances.
I'll make the opening play:

>Bristol Temple-Meads

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3FSm2kw6W_k
youtube.com/watch?v=PVszcAgsBxs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bath spa

A canny use of a parallel manoeuvre!

I'll use a chance card, which means my next play has to be...
>Birmingham International

Damn, I'll have to go around
>Barbican

Okay, that sounds interesting. Can some britfriend explain the game? You need to get to mornington crescent station in the least number of stops?

Is user allowed to use a chance card after a parallel manoeuvre? I thought one had to move in opposite directions before using a chance card.

Umpire! Can we get an umpire in the thread?

East Rislip

Ah, see, you've misinterpreted how Englebert's Crossover works when we're playing a northern variant. I'm afraid you're going to have to forfeit your turn. I'd highly recommend the learning workshop they hold in Tewkesbury town hall every third Wednesday, that should iron out the issue for you.

Anyway, I guess I'll go:
Stroud

Not the two anons playing, I'm: I'll explain it to you after they've finished.

I believe that the 1983 central European quarter finals in Podgorica confirmed that you indeed can. (Khan v. Papiphilipopolous)

I'll assume you're familiar with the core rules of the game. Fundamentally, in a Leicester Standard match you have to use a combination of 'rollick' and 'stepwise' plays to position yourself advantageously, without depleting your own treasury or letting too many cards be in play at once, which I'm sure you can see why you'd want to avoid that!

I thought that ruling got overturned in the 1995 Paris Special.

What, you're spectating? Really? We have enough space for 7 1/2 more players, it'd be a shame not to join in!

Well, looks like we've exceeded the time limit between plays, looks like I get to go again!
>Bradford-upon-Avon

That only applies if we're using Leicester Standard, north-WESTERN variant, which we aren't.

I think you're forgetting that Englebert's Crossover was revised for the 2003 edition and Tewkesbury had its Mornington Crescent license revoked. The revised rules state that I can choose to either forfeit my turn or make a play on the Leicester Line but has invoked the 'time play rule' so I concede this turn

Elephant and Castle

What degree of Castle?

Not wanting to make a move, but couldn't very well pass up the historical connotations of this opening gambit - it naturally calls to mind images of the Battle of Lansdowne, but also the running battles between ruffians and brigands in the village of Warmley for the rights to predate the roads between the cities of Bath and Bristol. Gallant highwaymen and low bandits plied their trade in the wake of the civil war, which was finally brought to an end two hundred years later with the establishment of the railway in Somerset. The two cities, with their surrounding towns and villages, flourished economically and forged strong links between the two cities.

Often referred to as the "Brunel-Beckford Opening" - even though Brunel is not from Bristol, nor is Beckford from Bath - it regularly gets a cheer from workers and fans of the GWR, even if it's popularity in the last century has declined considerably. In Somerset, it is now considered tradition to follow this opening pair with a toast to the forgotten highwaymen of yore.

I refuse to take part these days. Like many other fans of the game, I was shocked and outraged when Charing Cross Station was split into a standard move and a surveillance post. While I love to watch good people play, making a move myself leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

>Elephant and Castle
Whoa. You are in for it now. Try and come back from that move!

Mudchute to Cockfosters, your move.

Trafalgar Line

I invoke the Webley Rule and move my piece into the stock exchange

Before we can proceed I need to know if you stopped for tea.

No love for the Degree rule for special names, then? I suppose it was a bit much.
Once I had a match with my old man and it took us half an hour to take three turns each.

From sheer pity for this poor sap I'll enter the field at King's Lynn and deploy Parson's castling manoeuvre. N.b the remainder of one Elephant.

Walthamstow Central, approaching in the fifth dimension

woah woah woah how are we working out player moves. I assumed the Russian Roulette method was in play but since Elephant and Castle has been sloppily put in are we running on the Maverick turn set?

I find that the Maverick turn set is good for easing international players into the game.

Maida Vale to Whitechapel and I'd like to play my donations to the homeless shelter now. Stops your fifth dimension quite well.

Ah, I'm a bit late, but looking at the state of the game, could I come in on the DLR, a la the Pickford rules?

If so, DLR to Lewisham, buying a Financial Times on the way to start countering 's Webley

Blackfriers to Bletchly Park - Underground parking

DLR this early seems risky...
Piccadilly Circus, paying the Elephant Tax.

Financial Times strategem. Now there's a counter to the Webley gambit you don't see much these days. Ever since Jubilee went to Stratford, I've thought FT a bit daring, and a number of older players have agreed, preferring to stick to the more reliable Westminister defense.

I don't see why not. If you roll two or lower, you'll look suspicious to the cctvs, though, so it could be a bit risky.

With that out of the way, now that the Barbican is empty, I'll move in my bicycle haggler.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about. You can see him setting up a Trafalgar reveal out of Piccadilly, and it's going to be a close one!

Not if I can help it. Moriarty's Plot, gambit at Baker's Street. Everyone in zone is in spoon for two innings.
>b-but muh ruling at '83 worlds!
Was complete shite and everyone and their mum knew it. That referee was bought off.

Rolled 6, 5 = 11 (2d6)

I'd like to jump in with:

Boston Manor
And roll for the number of delays

Hah, thanks to not being in the zone (based DLR) I'll be taking Monument (Lewisham->Canary Wharf->London Bridge->Monument)

Knew the general go-to for stopping a Trafalgar is a Morriaty, and now look - 3 good stations capped, with FT

There are a number of reasons why a DLR-Trafalgar strategy could fall flat, it's called the Risen Rooster Gambit for this reason. Combinig it with the morning papers forces everyone else to alter their strategy, however, and so even if the move is foiled, it has now forced everyone else to spend a turn buying the morning papers and reveal their social class.

I'll stay on Whitechapel, buying the Telegraph, but asking the teller to sneak a copy of the observer imside it.

>the observer
It's not Sunday, Mornington on Sunday is a whole different beast

Props for stacked papers though, that's a neat move - miss a go while the teller looks at you in confusion and you miss the train, but you get both your Telegraph and Guardian

Mmm, true dat.
Using the albaster errata, i declare nighttime. Barclay's bank.

Ah, but papaer stacking now causes a dirty looks card to be played, resultong in loss of point advantage in the undermap. Did you not read the january revision?

I forgot about the January Revision. Very well, I will wait my turn AND take the dirty looks card. Remind me about this again, does this mean I lose my donations to homeless shelter card too?

The Guardian is half the size, dirty looks only come if the paper is detected - for half size that's only if he fails his roll

I'll go Bow Road and I'll purchase a copy of 'The Sun' and offer you £20 to buy your dirty looks card off you for the double moves bonus.

Deal, I'll take...wait, is that all in 2p coins? Those are not legal tender at that price! You're trying to give me an encumbrance penalty are you not?'

Dude, the double dirty looks double move is cheesy enough already, no need to try and break it with the loose change ruling too.
Especially as you didn't take any of the penalties for carrying around a ton of change before, what, did you find 1000 2p's on the way or something?

I play a Rafferty Exception to get past the Baker Street keruffle without a roll but take a busking token for the Up&Down to Euston Square

Let me guess, you're using this garbage?
youtube.com/watch?v=3FSm2kw6W_k

I give you not a single pence, good sir. Not a single one. Back to Beckton with ye.

> Gets bumped back to Beckton, but that is exactly what he wanted for a free Lithuanian.

Clever one. I don't see a way to counter the Rafferty exception unless I take the Powell-Rivers soapbox-dismissal...which means I go to Hampstead Heath.

...is Powell-Rivers even allowed under Liecester Standard?

Judge?

>free Lithuanian
Damn, that is a nice one with the Rafferty bounce.

From Monument to, lets see, Stratford has been taken, so Mile End

Brixton via Paddington

Only "via" Paddington?

hop to Bethnal Green, take the stairs to the Overground - take to Liverpool Street, avoiding the shitshow that is Central in Leicester Standard

Haha, you fool! You expose your inexperience! You've made the same mistake Simpkins did in the first ever televised game!

Mornington Crescent!

Impressive! Good game and well played. A rich game this, and I hope Veeky Forums will play it again some day

[Spoilers]It's basically calvinball[/Spoilers]

Splendid game lads, had me at the edge of my seat!

Fun fact: The first six moves ITT are an exact play-by-play of the infamous 1994 Hodge/Atterton match. I'm glad you guys deviated from that playstyle here, I think we all know how it "ended" (if you catch my drift).

I'll see if I find a Youtube clip of it, around the 2 hour mark, I believe. Grim business, that.

Well shit, a fine game

Has anyone ever played Mornington Crescent Oxbridge Advanced Edition (AKA No pennies for Mrs Thatcher's Boots)

I've heard mixed things about it and was wondering if I should introduce my gaming group to this version despite its controversies.

well judged, sir. I saw the opening but there's just so much you can do when you're caught out of position.

Ah well. At least this wasn't ladder.

Ah, damn it, of course!

Was so focused on avoiding the Central line, because Leicester Standard (the televised game was using... Queen's Rules, I believe?), I didn't even see I was falling into the Simpkins Trap

Well played sir, good game.

I honestly wouldn't bother with the Oxbridge Advanced. It has that MC: Baxter's Tuppence-feel to it, interspersed with the core mechanics of MoCrII GE RaD GP (Queen's Ed.).

In short, too simple.

I'll open with Matryoshka Factory (To be specific, Located in Moscow, You know the one. Yes I'm making that play.)

You idiot! Do you have any idea what kind of plays you've opened us up to?

Yes, That was my intent. Were about to get...Deep user.

I counter with Westminster Abby's 'Theocratic Station'

A pandoras box of forbidden plays have been opened

Hmmhmm, A thinker that one is.
I expend a Matryoshka level to pass, The safest course available.

Well I've never been one for safety. Arnos Grove, nature rules now apply.

Hmm. I do believe I have a counter.
I play Monsoon, Then expend another Matryoshka Level to also play Atlantis. Water Element is now dominant.
Your move.

Huh. I'm not comfortable allowing you to build up an elemental control board.
London Bridge, earth counter, Fire is now dominant.

Ah! You were too caught up countering my elemental you opened yourself for this...
Monsoon upgrades to Hurricane, London Bridge is Falling Down! Water and Fire counter each-other, Elements equalize.

Curse You!. Don't you know what you've done! Now you have allowed Ether plays to be made!

Hallifax to Bow Station
Earth is now water. Heaven is now Earth

We're through the looking glass

I play Angel, for double points due to the Heaven earth Alignment!

Aetherial Dragon, Elements misaligned, Water becomes Fire and Earth becomes Air...
Were getting wibbly-wobbly now.
Can you keep up?
Blast, Another challenger? I'll have to adapt my strategy...

Now this is my kind of Mornington Crescent. I speak the words of unreality and access the nega-chunnel, using the Erkmann Technique.

Fool, Erkmann was a simpleton and could never tame the Nega-Chunnel, I activate my last Matryoshka and extend my reach into the stars above, Then play Drill that can Pierce the heavens. A defensive move perhaps, But one cannot be too careful of the Nega-Spiral.

Erkmann could not, but I am not he. As earth is now water, I pass through the darksea and arrive at Antilantis, per the Plato Maneuver AND the 1893 revisions of theocratic inversions.

Since Air and Heaven are currently in ascendency, I'll make the unconventional play and use a direct Westbound Piccadilli Line, coupled with an Elementally Misaligned Trumpington

Gentlemen, I'm taking advantage of the elements, we're going to Heathrow Airport, and with the misalignment, we're now in Oslo.

Fascinating, All that simply to capture my earlier Atlantis? Touche to be fair. This renders my preparations pointless...
Never the least, I unveil the center of the Nesting Doll! Golden Retriever
Which retrieves the Scepter of Kings!
Oslo? Blast it, How could I have prepared for...
Aha, I have it!
Third Street to Central, And take a left!
Gentlemen, I'm going for a Quest victory!

>I'm going for a Quest victory!
I shall use Brain Pry to name a card, and if that card is in your hand, you have to discard it.

The card I name is "The Biggest Turnip"

Hey, hey, we're on an anonymous imageboard, you can't just make a Quest victory condition! We don't have two weeks to go through a whole quest and we'd have to go to /qst/ anyway.

So to cut you off, I'm channeling Edgware, the Ender of the Black Line. Thunderstorm and bus services unavailable.

psst, biggest turnip shouldn't be in the deck since it was replaced with "train conductors on strike"

That's what he wants you to believe, as it was all an elaborate setup for the joke "can you think of a bigger turnip than a train conductor?"

Every time I play this game at home I go for Shenfield. Most people don't even realize Shenfield is there, even after years of playing. You can do a Liverpool swap just like half the players in the game and no one expects a thing and suddenly bam, you're Shenfield and the game is basically over at that point.

Damn. And with the power of Antilantis I could have teleported straight to the crescent and won.

Hmmmm. I move to Strombürg Station and buy a sack of lutefisk. This is not over yet.

Lutefisk? I see. Domination victory is your plan? Well too late!
Fool, My hand is buried under nesting dolls! You cannot pry what isn't there. Though, No I don't have a Turnip, Just AN APPLE OF LIFE!
>Ripping noises
You have played right into my trap, My hurricane upgrades to Cat5 at the increasing atmospheric anomaly! I unfurl my Dead Sails, Apply the Apple of Life and Sail straight to...
MORNINGTON CRESCENT!

Did you forget we're wibbly wobbly?

That you would if it were not for one factor you did not consider.
Heaven and Earth are still aligned, and with the Apple of Life activated, I'm afraid your Dead Sails are now just regular sails! Your ship once found protection from the sea in it's undeath, but the water it was resided in, IS NOW FIRE!

Oh shit. That means---
ELDRITCH ABOMINATION?

Ah, well played. Same trick used in the 1987 match between Reginald Forsythe and Calco the Great.

Rolled 2 (1d20)

What I thought was Mornington Crescent was actually Zalgo's Den, This is getting rough for me. I raise the scepter of kings and demand he submit.

I think he did - also he ran out of Nesting Dolls when he got to the centre.

I call upon the Headless Horseman of Hampstead Heath! (as per the Wittenburg Court amendment)

Interesting game lads, but I have drawn the one card truly helpful in achieving the goal.
An Oyster Card.
I get onto an actual train at Holborn.
You have 12 minutes.

The last layer was removed, The center was not revealed until then.
...Blast
...Double blast! That means I'm eaten. A shame, Questing is out of the meta for a reason I'm afraid. Good luck lads.

Clever, clever....But I have foreseen this! Such a classic maneuver. I activate Central Strike to freeze your movements for the next five turns before launching the Camden Excursion. Don't forget that we are using the 1957 Lothwick Extension.

I play 'Wet Leaves on Track' and take Alternate Bus Service to Charirng Cross Station. I hope its not peak times

An interesting play, but you see, I had decided to use the Piccadilly Line and change at Leicester Square, as I wanted a seat!

Curses, there was a woman with a pram trying to get down the stairs.
I have been delayed.

A clever ploy, and a guarenteed victory!

Or it would be, if I hadn't boarded the train in the carriage ahead of you, and played my "Chit-Chat" card to the lovely Mrs. Fernsworth. Better known as The Trolley Lady! While I do indeed take a big hit to my Britbongs Stoic-ity meter, it's allowed me to secure ALL of the Shortbread Buscuits!
Your move, my good sir.

Listening to some of the old replays are pretty interesting. The automation make for a really different game.
youtube.com/watch?v=PVszcAgsBxs

Ahem
>I unveil the center of the Nesting Doll! Golden Retriever