BOARD GAMES GENERAL

/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently?

What's on your wishlist?

What's that one game you totally fell out of love with and why?

Share with us of a highlight that happened while playing. An awesome or fun moment.

Other urls found in this thread:

coolstuffinc.com/user_wishlist.php?id=f6ead36c908a21338970e9ea968e4336
youtu.be/S3SLagHrxIQ?t=284
youtube.com/watch?v=9kQR6oFpp4U
youtube.com/watch?v=KmnNhYrkfT0
boardgamegeek.com/image/1003956/xthawx
boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199567/62nd-monthly-pimp-my-boardgame-contest-october-201
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What have you played recently?
Nothing really, I have pretty much no free time these days. Well I played jenga and spot it with kids at work...
>What's on your wishlist?
MoM2, Scythe also considering Blood Bowl & Viticulture
>What's that one game you totally fell out of love with and why?
7 wonders, played it too much, and I also think I'm moving away from card games these days. There's something very unsatisfying about them for some reason. The level of abstraction maybe ? I dunno.
>Share with us of a highlight that happened while playing. An awesome or fun moment.
Oooh that's tough, we're not a particularly "social" player's group. We will chit chat and occasionally crack jokes., but it never turns into one of these "magical moments" people share around here. I guess closest thing we got is that one game of Fire & Axe where we all started roleplaying as that one guy with the crab juice from that simpsons episode. "I got crab juice to sell. Also we raid village, ok ?" kind of weak sauce but it's all I got.

hey lads,anybody who owns Onitama can share a scan of the cards and the board here?

cant seem to find it on Russian forum.

Conan. Amazing game (singular, as in, I'll need to play it again to see what an ordinary game is like). We were playing the scenario where Conan, wizard, black guy, and helper chick have to rescue a princess from a hut and bring back a shaman's head. The last two turns were basically Conan fighting the snake in the space in front of the hostage hut, six cavemen and shaman move in and gravely wound Conan, I (as wizard) lightning storm the space and kill everyone but the snake and the shaman after Conan does a dervish, they keep the pieces there to block ingress to the princess and summon all the dogs, we use ranged means to kill the snake and the dude, wizard bamfs into the hut, uses his last action to get the princess to the space in front of it, and Black man uses his evade and huge burden limit to carry the head and the princess to safety as literally the last possible action before game loss due to time.
6/10 would always play and never buy.
I have Dark Souls, Kingdom Death, and Gods War coming in, I don't need any more plastic until Nihei decides that a BLAME! minis game is a good idea.
coolstuffinc.com/user_wishlist.php?id=f6ead36c908a21338970e9ea968e4336
Not pictured: Starcraft, Successors, a load of Sierra Madre games, the caveat attached to Tigris and Euphrates that it has to be one of the versions that uses wood bits (it's on the wishlist as a reminder), and a reminder to look into Cave Evil.
None, when a game's good it'as good.
>Share with us of a highlight that happened while playing. An awesome or fun moment.
See the answer to the first question.

i have this huge carcassonne big box i made myself.

i have room for all official expansions. (not sure how i would go about making the print only expansions on the site)

how many mazes should i get?
are tunnels and belagers worth it?

i was thinking about the mini expansion from the new tile set but i dont know how ugly it is. has anyone mixed them ?

also my festivals expansions is waaaay darker then the rest of my tiles. how would i go about getting one that matches the rest of my tiles?

No, you shouldn't put too much thought into a light game.
That's why I refuse to sleeve my Ascension Apprentice Edition, defeats the point of buying it due to cheapness.

>light

you have clearly never played a 6 player carcassone game with almost all expansions for 7 hours.

>wake up excited about the new KDM update
>more cheesecake trash
>hints of a new expansion

I hope not too much of the gamblers chest is pinup stuff. Considering how many copies are selling this time, methinks they're going to be a slightly annoying thing to resell

Philosophy of death is good, at least.

> What have you played recently?
Chaos in the Old World. We played the chaos gods with the new expansion cards and some new old world events dropped in.

I'm kind of MEH on the expansion cards. They seem to add uncessarily complexity (I don't think we had that much doubts when playing for the first time with the old set of cards).

The events were... well I guess playing with 7 of them is the only way to trigger the "everybody loses" game ending.
> What's on your wishlist?
Triumph and Tragedy... maybe. I mean I really like the mechanics - wish there was a game of similar complexity with higher quality components (and in a fantasy setting) but getting it on the table could be impossible. I have one friend who's warmish to the idea but I'm not completely sure he'd be into it. Getting 1-2 more people to play could be hard.

Lords of Xidit, Clank, Through the Ages, Mare Nostrum also look awesome (and might be easier to get on the table).
> What's that one game you totally fell out of love with and why?
Munchkin. Now I know better.

For sure, the one decent thing in the box right now

>I'm kind of MEH on the expansion cards. They seem to add uncessarily complexity (I don't think we had that much doubts when playing for the first time with the old set of cards).
The new OW cards take agency away from the players, and the new Powers cards buff Khorne, cripple Nurgle, and make each faction "samey." The only reason to buy Horned Rat is for the eponymous faction.

If we get three good minis in the box it basically becomes worth it.
Aw well, if the box is shit I can always save $50 (got the Black Friday core + box level).

Rate my holiday buys:

Fresco
Louis XIV
Coup
Biblios

Pretty light stuff, but that's about as heavy as my current group can handle

The Old World Cards feel like "fuck this, this and that guy in particular"

We draw the one where every unit takes 1 more pp to play and a second one that disallows you to play chaos cards unless you sacrifice two creatures.

That was a PITA. I'd be interested in playing a game with only the new OW cards where the entire name of the game changes but adding them at random to the deck is just painful.

I played as Nurgle and he didn't seem crippled (it was one game though) even though the OW cards seemed to be especially targeted at me I almost managed to win - it came down to unlucky dice in my region.

The upgrades especially seem powerful for Nurgle (leave corruption on each region you dominate in).

Though the Khorn warrior upgrade is really ridiculous - not only can Khorn now win via dials, he can easily win through VPs and the conditions are 100% compatible.

XCOM Expansion fucking when? Was t it supposed to come out at the end of the year?

anyone?

i cant find this game locally,and online shipping is 20 dollars.

What have you played recently?<
descent 1e.
I kind of dislike dungeoneer gameplay but my group loves playing.
planning to switch to warhammer quest on next wipe.
>whats on your wishlist?
KDM but too much poorfag for that.other than that not much.
>fun moment/highlight
in descent they killed both bosses 100-0 in a single turn.

Played eclipse for first time, liked it quite a bit.

Great western trail

Warhammer

In the above game of eclipse player to the left of me was hearing up to make a run on the center hex, but got blocked by two other players charging in before he could, so he decides my home system is a juicier target, since all that is guarding it is a handful of interceptors. Well guess it's time to research and upgrade to some antimatter cannons. Opponents fleet was destroyed in the first volley.

Any opinions on Flash Point and Dead Men Tell No Tales? My gf is really into co-op games and so I'm trying to determine which one would be a better buy

I really like the Horned Rat Morrslieb chaos decks and upgrades. The one thing I didn't like about base was that playstyle was entirely too predictable as it was.
>Khorne kills stuff for dials, avoid.
>Nurgle gets a shitton of corruption points, deny populous areas and cull his cultists
>Slaanesh and Tzeentch are gimped opportunists, keep in check and deny special tokens.
Even though it made sense mechanically and thematically, I've never been too keen on being shoehorned into playing a certain way.
Morrslieb gives me more of a choice, more flexibility on how I plot a strategy and adapt to what the other players throw at me, and it still feels like it makes sense mechanically and thematically.

To each his own, I guess, but I prefer it over the base game.

I struggle with this. I have one friend who HATES story in games. He basically forces us to summarize anything storywise into a sentence, or like in your case we just read the game effects
I don't like Red Dragon Inn either, but I can see a day where I'm forced to play it (so long as it's 4 or more, 3 players sucks). I would probably just have to flip that switch in my brain that allows me to have fun with stupid games. Still, I would rather go home early than be forced to read flavor text or roleplay
The other generals are making fun of OP's unpainted minis
>played
Isle of Skye. First time I was ahead the entire game and managed to hold my lead last round, BUT it was a tiebreaker where I won by 1 coin
Onitama. I beat the guy who always wins. He walked away saying "I only play Chess casually anyway," as if I'm a grandmaster lol
>Wishlist
Fuji Flush. It's either a sleeper hit or they made very few copies, because they're sold out everywhere. Here I was waiting for Amazon's price to drop but I should've just nabbed it
Also buying Onitama and maybe Unusual Suspects as gifts for friends
>Fell out of love
More games than I care to admit
>Highlight
Played Carson City Saturday, on the last round I took the sheriff and used it to prevent everyone from scoring a lot, successfully extorted several players out of most of their income, just to come in tied for last
>MoM2
Get it today at BN.com, it's like $60
Never heard of Louis xiv
Fresco and Biblios are a 8/10
>Tfw you talk up Great Western Trail to your friend because you want him to buy it, and he does
Pfister is demigod-tier for sure but I can't manage to get his heavier ones played

>mom2

Unfortunately, je suis français. hon hon hon le saucisson.

mom 2 ?

Also called dad

Mansions of Madness second edition, sorry !

Kemet, The Resistance, No Thanks, King of Tokyo, Lords of Waterdeep, Euchre, Blood Bowl (not really board game related in my opinion but apparently it is), Galaxy Truckers, Love Letter

A lot of things, I think near the top right now is probably Pandemic

Eh, I don't buy games I don't like so I haven't fallen out of love with anything.

For the flipside I've started to hate ticket to ride less, I still dislike it and think it's a boring game but I've been playing it more recently because a couple friends like it and it's fine, it's like a piece of toast. Sure it's bland and boring but it's still pretty good and I'm not going to not eat it.

After a long game of Kemet I had an opportunity to king make just because of my divine intervention cards, so when a player made a move I didn't think they could have done (or at least it was interesting to me) I decided to let them win while punishing the one who dramatically misplayed.

On the flip side of actual awesome gameplay moments, it's fucking sweet when you're playing the resistance and a non-spy sees the winning mission team being laid out and then screams, "IF YOU'RE A GOOD GUY REJECT THIS TEAM"

I don't think we'll stop laughing at that for a long time.

If I want my dudes not to be radically different in what they want and how they play I wouldn't be playing an asymmetrical game.

It's still assymmettrical, tho.
Khorne still bashes the closest guys' heads, Nurgle still really likes to make a pig sty out of everywhere, Slaanesh still seduces humans and daemons for fun and profit, and Tzeentch is still a douche that messes with everyone's plans.
I don't feel like they're samey, power cards still play very differently, but now Khorne isn't as dial-dependent, Nurgle got a couple of dial spin boosts and Slaanesh and Tzeentch actually have a better chance to win, instead of just playing kingmaker or opportunistic.

Nothing much.

Trying to decide whether I should get Pericles or Spacecorp. Both appeal to me greatly in different ways. Trying to trade my shit on abecorn for any COIN game.

Dead of Winter. First few times was really fun, but it falls flat once the novelty wears off.

>Dead of Winter. First few times was really fun, but it falls flat once the novelty wears off.

CULT OF THE NEW

will scythe be as big of a blunder?

Scythe has actual gameplay backing it up.

>all that for $99

Would be foolish to not back this at least for the core box. Overflowing with content.

>board game

>is a game
>uses boards

Complicated stuff.

Don't think so, Stegmeier is really careful with his designs, Euphoria and Viticulture have real staying potential.

>content
A bunch of plastic is not "content".

ok so warhammer 40k is a board game, it's a game, I use plastic realms of battle boards, but that's cool right?

>the material of which the components are made dictates whether it's content or not

Wew

That's a tabletop game. You might wanna read up on that kind of stuff. You seem a bit ignorant.

Stupid or just pretending.
Either way, 0/10 for you.

ok so this other game is also a tabletop game

you might wanna read up on that kind of stuff, you seem a bit like an asshole

It literally uses boards you moron.

>game about minis fighting
>board game

ok

so deadzone is a boardgame

Come on user, the only way to win a discussion with a shitter is to not play.

>Kemet is not a board game
>Cyclades is not a board game
>Blood Rage is not a board game
>Conan is not a board game
>Mechs vs. Minions is not a board game
>Cry Havoc is not a board game
>Level 7 [Omega Protocol] is not a board game

Hm, Mage Wars and Summoner Wars use cards instead of minis so they are obviously board games. The others aren't though. Because if you use minis instead of cards it means it's not a board game.

So just to summarize:
cards = board game
meeples = board game
wooden pieces = board game
plastic minis NOT A BOARD GAME

Whatever you say famalam.

Looks interesting. How does the combat system work?

It's an okay euro game with an evocative setting, but it was the art, minis, and reputation of the designer that sold the game, not gameplay. Like many Stonemeier games the early game is slow and boring, and needs to be accelerated somehow (like Viticulture did with the mamas and the papas). Unfortunately Scythe is super long and the promise of player interaction hasn't been realized. People interested in Scythe should check out Deus for a similar euro game with player interaction and satisfying action combo-building

youtu.be/S3SLagHrxIQ?t=284

This explains it fairly well. But when you explode a 5 and you roll a blank you lose the die completely, including the 5 it was before. So if you don't want to play it risky you can discard a bunch of dice to get one die up to 7. Low risk low reward compared to exploding a bunch of 5s.

>Scythe is super long
Just stfu and gtfo you godamn casual shitter.

How long does it take? I'll admit the art and theme caught my attention more than the gameplay, but it looked interesting enough from a mechanical perspective. I don't think I'd buy it at full price but I'd be up to try it out anytime.

Bitch I got a dozen games in my bag and Meetups are only 6 hours long. You want me to play? fucking invite me over whenever your landlord is done fumigating your stanky ass sty

Definitely try before buy. Figure an hour per player, 90min/player if you're all first timers

Thanks I'll check it out

I think you need to stop playing with braindeads. There is absolutely no way in hell it takes even remotely that long.

youtube.com/watch?v=9kQR6oFpp4U

Here's a complete playthrough.

The hate on Myth comes from being competitive pvp, these fucks were bullied by evil Warhammer players and now seek shelter from any game that's not solo or co-op.

>recent
I PnP'd Skirmish Wars: Colonize and have been assembling it over the past couple Saturdays, finally assembled enough for 2P and had a game on Saturday, was a blast! need to finish the other two armies and get some sweet 2v2 or FFA action going on

>wishlist
super hyped for my pre-order of Cave Evil: Warcults to ship, will take a few weeks to get to 'straya but I'm pretty sure it'll be GOTY for me, I've also bought Zimby Mojo and that's most likely gonna be runner-up GOTY. ETA for that is the last fortnight of December so it's possible I won't see it until January

also backing Satan Lantern tier on KD:M though it's possible that I'll reduce to Ancient Gold Lantern + new expansions depending on my total budget

>fell out of love
nothing really yet at this point, though I'm sure something in my collection is bound to be awfully neglected at some point in the future unless MTG counts

well shit, my bad

that's unfortunate to hear user :(

it's a hex-and-counter wargame where you control demonic armies and vie for control over the underworld, thematically incredible if you're into black metal

I'm not 100% certain on the mechanics yet but if it's anything like the original Cave Evil game, it'll involve dice-based combat where you compare the stats of your unit(s) to opposing unit(s) by choosing a stat out of six of your choice, each player rolling a D12 and seeing who wins, then the defender chooses an adjacent stat and both players roll another D12, if it's 1-1 then the attacker chooses the second adjacent stat to the first stat and then another D12 is rolled

videos show a lot of similarities between the original Cave Evil except that units aren't tied to squads and can move freely, though stacking rules apply like squads

it's a shame that the original game has absurd secondary market prices as it has triple the amount of cards as Warcults, doesn't look like there's any event cards though

>backing Satan Lantern tier
Sup, mister moneybags. I bet not being a poorfag feels good huh? Fuck you and your fat wallet!yes, I so very jelly

I've had Scythe on my wishlist for a while now but there's always been something I wanted more so it got pushed back again and again. Why do you think it's not a good game?

I'm just trolling. Scythe is near the top of my wishlist too.

>tfw no good cyber Monday deals

I got The Voyages of Marco Polo for €27.

We're talking about Scythe, not Blood Rage.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what the gamblers chest stuff is including in the game for the KDM kickstarter? Not literally, because I know we don't know everything that's in it and that's kind of the point, but for someone who's never played the game before, does it seem like it's actually going to have worthwhile stuff in it, or is it just cosmetic sort of things? For example, I have no idea what a pinup is in the context of the game; I'm guessing it's NOT a poster?

It's probably too early to really give me a good answer, I understand that, but if anyone can shed a little insight on it I'd be really appreciative. I'd like to back the game, as I missed out on the first run. Most of the expansions seem pretty damn expensive without adding a ton of content, as far as I'm able to tell. It kind of looks like they generally just add a new encounter, and the bulk of the price is getting whatever new insanely detailed model it comes with. With the gambler's chest being 100$ it seems like it could be a good deal for the money if it has a real impact on content.

>What is a Kingdom Death Pinup?

>Kingdom Death Pinups are light-hearted reinterpretations of aspects of the deadly serious game. They are not cannon, meaning they do not belong to the world of Kingdom Death and are not playable characters in the game.

>These are meant for hobbyists and collectors to enjoy, assemble, and paint. They’re created in fun and meant in the spirit of light-hearted send up of everything from monsters to armor sets from the grimdark Kingdom Death world

youtube.com/watch?v=KmnNhYrkfT0
REEEE WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO MANUFACTURE MORE POCKET EDITIONS OF HIVE?!

Thank you for the spoon-feed. I guess I should follow up by saying that really the bottom line is I'm just trying to get the most content for my money. I understand the components are crazy high quality which is what makes the price so high, but if I'm gonna be spending so much money on a game, it damn well better be something I play for a whole lot of time, especially if anytime I want to throw down for an expansion it costs another 50-100$

Coup is a lot of fun with the right people, I haven't played the rest though

>tfw live in Brazil and would have to pay 5 times the regular price for anything that's not a basic party game(if I can find it, that is).

I'm glad Tabletop Simulator is a thing.

If I spend more than 30 minutes in a game of Carcassone my brain enters sleep mode.

What's the best board game ever released, in your opinion?

That's a good one if you like fighting over interactions, rules wordings, and timings like me. Seriously, had a lot of fun watching my friend melt down playing this Friday night. He just came off a double shift working retail on Black Friday and he was getting creamed. Someone asked if he had a negotiate one too many times.

Best board game released might be Carcassone or Telestrations or something

>eurogame
>best at anything

>Telestrations
yup

>Electing a party game as best board game

Fucking casuls

It's not my personal favorite, but it's a game literally anyone will play and have fun with.
it may be a rip-off of a public domain game, but it's one of those infinitely replayable games that will never go away now that it's here

anyone have the "board games for pairs" image? i remember it featured netrunner, and im looking for similar suggestions. ta.

No one is entirely sure what will be in it yet. Along with a few cards for fighting styles, items, ect., the box is confirmed to add Philosophies of Death as part of the new "Kingdom Death Advanced" ruleset. So yes, there will be content. You may get a better value by purchasing one of the expansion though (The Dung Beetle one is a $30 addon and is a good idea). We still don't know exactly what will be in it, but it will all be known at the end, and you can add on to your pledge then.

I'm not good at arguing objectivity in games. The 3 games that have the most plays from my group though is Cosmic Encounter, Seasons, and Onitama. Onitama is kinda cheating given how short the playtime is, but people keep wanting to play more of it.

pls??

I'm gonna have to go with Virgin Queen. The only bad thing about it is its accessibility, but I cannot think of another game with the same depth:rules ratio. Even my non-wargamer friends like it

Wanted to get either that or Here I Stand. Then I came to the conclusion that even a 3 player war game would be next to impossible to bring to the table.

I kind of still want it, though

I'm thankful that in my circle of friends a bunch have the patience for this kind of game. 6 player Virgin Queen is glorious, even though I only get to play it a couple of times a year

I'd recommend Pax Romana if you have difficulty finding 5/6 players. While Virgin Queen spans from 2-6 technically, it really works best at 5/6. Pax Romana, on the other hand, spans from 2-4, but is good at all these player counts due to the variety in scenarios. The COIN games are also good at a variety of player counts.

I'm probably getting Triumph and Tragedy as mentioned here
sadly, my gaming group is in a stasis - no new people - and it might be hard to expand to other genres.

You seem well prepared my ordinary and fellow poster.

Jesus paranoid much? A couple of people here are either exited by the game (though most are trolling)

You could start building stuff yourself and using scanned rules. I guess once you get proficient enough it will be quite fast.

Lads I've really fallen out of me boardgamin' recently in favour of D&D. But I'd really like to get back into it.

So I'd like to ask what it is you really like about 'em as a way of reminding me how great they are. And what's your ideal length of time playing one?

I wanted to do that with Dune after looking at how a couple of people made their own DIY versions.

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199567/62nd-monthly-pimp-my-boardgame-contest-october-201

I have no motivation to actually pull through without having a step-by-step guide though.

I'd start with something small ike Hive (or any other game with few components) or a generic solution for hex and counter games, which would make you able to play a lot of games.

Sorry, not the user you replied earlier. I could.

Mentioned Dune because:
> You guys were talking about DIY games
> the guys that did their own DIY versions on bgg did so beautifully
> I really want it and it's OOP

Hey boys, just got back from my first twilight imperium match with my 5 friends and man my brain is fucking dead. I've done some massive googling but clearly not enough to ever prepare myself for all of those rules.

Can we only produce units once every phase and can we only do it once before status phase?

When we move ships can they be moved into systems that you own but aren't activated.

Also with PDS units with deepspace tech when exactly do you use the deep space tech and does it count as an "action", we used it as a reaction shot when they came into your system but we didn't use it during space battles because they weren't in the same HEX as the fleets that were fighting. I've got another 5 friends coming over on the weekend to play some so I'm trying to get the rules in my head so I'm ready for a great time.

Any news on the rpg? I was thinking of backing this. Mostly because I love Greek mythology and the models are nice.

You can produce units in a system with production capacity every time you activate it, or when a strategy or other card allows you to produce units.

There is no production before the status phase unless you're using variant rules.

When you move ships, you activate the destination system - thus ships can me moved OUT of systems that you are not activating (so long as those systems have not already been activated by you) but you cannot move ships INTO systems you are not activating.

PDS with the Deep Space Cannon can take their shot when another player activates a system within their range, allowing you to take a shot after they finish moving ships. They do not participate in space battles.

Good luck next game!

>So I'd like to ask what it is you really like about 'em as a way of reminding me how great they are.
An excuse to meet my friends regularly. A good way to do fun problem-solving. A bit of thematic immersion.

I'd take an RPG over board games (or in addition) anytime if I could get a group going, but they all have different schedules.

>And what's your ideal length of time playing one?
Between 1 and 2 hours preferably, but I don't mind long sessions depending on the game. I've played a couple games of Assault on Doomrock from start to finish, which took more than 6 hours each time.