Wild West Systems

So, does anyone know a system that would be good for gunslinging and the old west? Something that specifically either focuses on, or just plain has a system for, quickdraw duels.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlands
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aces & Eights. Personally I'd use GURPS but I'm also a giant GURPSfag.

Dogs in the Vineyard.

Here in Sweden we have rpg that call Western but they didn't have translated into english yet.

I'm actually kicking around designs on a western-setting system played entirely with poker chips and playing cards, but I can't decide if it's worth pursuing.

Savage Worlds

The Deadlines setting for Savage Worlds had some nifty mechanics for duels.

/thread

Try hunting up a copy of "Boot Hill" by TSR.

That game already exists.

It is called Dust Devils.

Fair warning; Boot Hill has a high player mortality rate.

>Aces & Eights

Made by the guy who makes Knights of the Dinner Table.
He based it off his in comic Cattlepunk campaign which was a parody itself of TSR's Boot Hill.

Moar!

Bump

Coyote Trail is alright, as far as western themed RPGs go.

Boothill 3E for rules medium, Aces & Eight for rules-heavy. Ignore all other advice.

THW's Six Gun Sound - Blaze of Glory

Werewolf: The Wild West

Deadlines has a poker hand mechanic that but still also use dice.

It's should be noted Deadlands 1e uses it's only system while deadlands reloaded use savage worlds. Basically the same but streamlines some of the mechanics.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlands

gunslingers and gamblers.

It uses poker dice (or you could just use normal d6, the faces don't matter) and you try to get the best possible poker hand. Your skills determine how many rerolls you get.
For duels you use your lowest stat of either shooting, nerves or reflexes and see who gets the better hand.

*we have a rpg that is called Western but they didn't translate it into english yet

hope I can help you with your second language a bit

Necromunda CE

There's lots of games that can do the western thing (I think a stripped down GURPS would actually be a great fit). Read some history, watch some old westerns, and have fun.

But I think quickdraw duels are a hard thing to in a game. In old movies, you could get away with having the hero just barely outdraw the bad guy every single time. In a game, that quickly becomes predictable. How do you do that with five players? How do you make the stakes of the duel high enough without killing off half the players every time they pick a fight?

Even in old movies, the climactic duel is often more complex than just "who's the fastest draw". Shane and High Noon both end with a running gun battle.