Aside from combat, what's fun to do in D&D 4E?

Aside from combat, what's fun to do in D&D 4E?

Other urls found in this thread:

iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchMLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhithy0M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aside from combat, what's fun to do in D&D?

Therein lies your answer.

Rituals can be pretty cool.

Which ones are your favorite?

Apart from tv, what's fun to do with tv?

Video games!

Skill challenges work pretty well for chase scenes, those can be fun

Also the skill-system outside of challenges is built for dungeon-crawling, just exploring a cave system, or a tomb, or a demiplane, can be really fun

Being able to roleplay without needing to roll on 4 charts across 6 different books to see if I'm successful at shoving 20 carrots up a prostitute's ass even if there's literally no benefit/penalty for failure and no mechanical effects.

Not much to be honest, desu senpai.

I had a great deal of fun making stuff with the magic items. Bombing room, dnd HALO drops, heists, court battles held in the 9 hells for the soul of an old ally now NPC who was tricked into servitude for eternity on a shoddy contract.

The campaign took so long, my character ended up having a bunch of kids who I asked the lich to become godfather too. Whats funny is he declined literally becoming a god to take care of them. After we killed Vecna, his alternate timeline self (think fantasy dr. who) offered him a job as this universes god of secrets. He declined. He had better stuff to do than save every other universe from himself.

Ye neckbeard drinking games was always fun, most folks can relate to getting tossed and the idea of waking up somewhere funny or next to someone unusual.

The fighter had a habit of failing his fort saves, blacking out, and having slept with some powerful nobles daughter/wife/noble. He wasnt picky when drunk.

DM is still using that world, and our characters make very, VERY infrequent visits into the campaign.

My character became the lord and deity of Minotaurs after defeating baphomet in single combat.

The liche retired to her dragon pals cave to study and research and keep an eye on my blood line. She gave em some rituals to call her if shit hits the wall. (my minotaur got banned from the material plane by the world serpent for being to gods tainted via my epic destiny (punisher of the gods)

The warforged slumbers beneath his keep, ready and watching for the next time some grand threat should appear in his lands. He specifically stated he was on watch for the tarrasque again.

Oops. disregard my name mates. different thread.

Makrag

Anvyl

Rayval

Forgot I still had these. That game took years to finish. Damn fine time too.

I forgot how one sided the loot was for our warforged fighter...

Esh.

I know this is a highly controversial answer, especially on Veeky Forums, but roleplaying.

That's the same link three times nigga.

A comic. :'(

I can't believe they aren't even continuing that for 5E. >:(

I only read 1 issue and loved it. Then your comment made me go back and read all of it today.
Now I am also sad that there is no more. Fell's Five is a damned classic in fantasy adventure banter.

Like most games, it comes down to the creativity of the GM.

But D&D a lot of times draws combat-mongering GMs who conduct railroad trains into their favorite academic philosophy class.

What do you mean "aside from combat"?

Combat is fucking awful in 4e.

twisting RAW into offbeat character concepts because all fluff is mutable. like the warforged with rocket fists, or three monkeys in a man costume, or the perfect doppelganger.

>Combat is fucking awful in 4e.
Sure is. Whole game is built around it though.
Which is why everyone fucking hates it.

If they were to admit that, it would be stating that the whole game was awful, which would then ask the question of why is it being discussed, which would elicit a range of answers from humor to schadenfreude to mourning and thus ruin the thread sufficiently for readers to realize that its very existence is already a ruin.

4e was made to destroy your creativity.

>(You)

>Aside from combat, what's fun to do in D&D 4E?
>combat
>fun in 4e
>choose one
and go play an actual role-playing game

I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy all the 4e trolling lately, makes me feel appreciated and all, but just repeating yourself is really bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes.

What if we called it 'Dungeons & Dragons Tactics" instead?

Roleplaying is fun, combat is kind of grindy.

Aside from the people who like it.

>4e was made to destroy your creativity.
It was actually made to allow full creativity, but a lot of roleplayers are autistic and don't understand the whole reskining thing.

I'll allow it.

The problem is, a lot of people are unable to roleplay without having rules about what chart you need to roll on to roleplay.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Which is really funny because I always hear 3.PF fans bemoaning 4e's lack of roleplay, but then I ask what it's missing that 3.PF has that allows you to roleplay better, 9 times out of 10 I just get a list of spells and rules that let you roll dice to avoid having to roleplay, like Charm and "Diplomacy is Mind Control."

Primarily the issue is that while 3e is bad at noncombat tasks, 4e is offputtingly reductive. The rules for creating organizations, for example, are decent in 3e.

Nothing impressive, and there's no mass combat system or Birthright analog, but I do find 4e kind of off putting for that reason.

I mean, creating organizations doesn't seem like the sort of thing you NEED rules for. We did that sort of thing in a few 4e games without any problems.

>mass combat
I don't mind too much, because 4e's combat system is good for more skirmish/tactical style combat, but I wouldn't want to do full on mass combat without some heavy overhauls, though Minions can kinda help here.