What games would you recommend for a Newbie GM ?

What games would you recommend for a Newbie GM ?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B6uX2PHkX2zBNEZqLU5Rd0hSTWs/view?pref=2&pli=1
mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition
mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians Of Lemuria - Legendary Edition.pdf
mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

D&D 5e.

Dungeon World. It even teaches you how to GM correctly.

Fate.
5e or Basic D&D.
Call of Cthulhu.
Traveller.
WEG Star Wars.

this

Maid RPG

Dungeon World.

Scion, very basic rules and easy world to write a good story in.

Since I got those dubs, let me clarify.

Dungeon World is a shit game in a lot of regards, but the rules are easy enough to grasp, the damage being 'quasi-static' so you don't have to worry about different weapons having different dice, and other simple things that, while limiting, are beneficial to a new DM because it takes out some of the clutter of the bigger games.

Dungeon World has one massive strength compared to many other systems though, it actually teaches you how to DM on the fly wonderfully well. A lot of times on the DM the party is going to do something you don't expect, if you are used to the whole 'Party does A then B happens' and railroading the game or even having typical responses planned out for a sand box game, your group might decide to do something else entirely than what you planned on. Like deciding to make same sex marriage legal in a small kingdom that they were supposed to be passing through and ignoring the lich quest you had planned out.

Dungeon World handles random shit on the fly like that amazingly well by encouraging NOT to plan stuff too far in advance and leave a lot of your world design blank, filling it in as you go.

Your bard wants to seduce the dragon? Let him try. If he succeeds he can be a terrible lay and have to deal with the dragons fury, he can be crushed by an orgasming dragon's thrashing, he can do well and be a piece of treasure (basically a living dildo), the dragon can rebuff his suggestion and they can fight.

Dungeon World teaches the DM not to say 'no' right out of hand and instead improvise the outcome. Killing a player? Who gives a shit, they just grab a new one and make him easy as pie.

That said, knowing when to say 'No' to your players is also a pretty valuable DM skill that many need to utilize for some who like to break systems.

Try those, user

I don't see how this is system specific, any GM could do that and the ruleset doesn't seem to encourage this any more than others (Referring to the improvisation on being a GM)

>Also Lich Copypasta

Fucking bards.

Try "Here's some fuckin' D&D." It is easy to create a character, requires you to read like three pages and lets you focus on building a great world, memorable characters and an impactful story without worrying about the rules.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B6uX2PHkX2zBNEZqLU5Rd0hSTWs/view?pref=2&pli=1

Then you can go on to big boy's stuff.

And also, don't use those shitty cat memes.

THis applies to every powered by the apocylpse though, without the disadvantage of having D&D haphazardly bolted onto it. And the D&D bits get rid of a lot of the inherent strengths of PbtA games like players being able to easily understand the system just from the character sheet because of how moves work.

So there's other options for this like Apocalypse World, Monster Hearts, The Sprawl, Monster of the Week, etc. if you don't wanna play a slightly faster D&D.

All games are good games for a newbie GM as long as you’re playing the kind of game you want to be playing.

Avoid D&D like the plague, it's a money sink that if you stick with the hobby and ever branch out from you will eventually regret investing in.

Get a nice Rune Quest derivative down you, like Call of Ch'thulhu or BRP; far more modular, home-brewing content is easier, system is just plain better and is far less limiting than D&D with it's autismal insistence on unnecessarily categorizing players into "classes" and "alignments".

Something like Barbarians of Lemuria is good if you want a full, but very light game. I've not played it, but Here's Some Fuckin' D&D (as mentioned in ) looks good for an ultra-light, barely-there game that's just a couple of pages.

>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, fewer details & more minimalist presentation makes it even easier to learn, but the rules aren't as refined) --mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians Of Lemuria - Legendary Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want the bare bones minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up a bit) -- mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A

Something you already know the lore of.

Most of GMing is creativity and applying the rules of the world.

So you can use a 'universal' system on a world you know, or do something like Rogue Trader for 40k.

Alignments are obnoxious, though the original 3-category alignments that separate folks into cosmic "teams" as per Elric or Three Hearts and Three Lions (wherein there is a battle between the forces of law and chaos) work fine if you're playing in that sort of setting (which, granted, most folks aren't). The thing you have to recognize about D&D is that it evolved around a specific play-style and type of setting, and it hasn't always been adapted very well to do the other things its been repurposed to do.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with classes. Classes are strong themes that not only make it easier for people to grasp their role within the party, but also provide strong mechanical differentiation. Classes aren't right for every game, but then what is? Topless women aren't right for every situation, but that doesn't mean that they are inherently flawed.

This seems neat, but it feels like there's something missing.
Like, where are the rules for leveling up? Do Halflings or Elves get any racial bonuses at all? Why would you ever choose smaller weapons over larger ones, if there are no class restrictions and seemingly no mechanical restrictions on what weapons can do in the first place? It just feels like this is missing a page or two.

>Topless women aren't right for every situation, but that doesn't mean that they are inherently flawed.

If you were comparing them to the ultimate panacea, or a multisplendiferous unity of adaptability, they would by shading be considered inherently flawed.

As for classes: they just end up being silly, because you have the point of "why can't I practice using this sword". I like how 40k rp did 'elite advances' though.

I'm mostly echoing the whole thread, but whatever. 5e D&D, Dungeon World, Traveller, or Call of Cthulhu.
Obviously, base it on your own interests as well as your groups interests if possible.

D&D 3.5 or PF the objectively superior systems.

>As for classes: they just end up being silly, because you have the point of "why can't I practice using this sword".
Lamentations of the Flame Princess doesn't restrict weapons or technically even armor (though being encumbered can fuck with your ability to cast spells, and heavy armor is, well, heavy). Also, all weapons originally did the same damage in D&D, so weapon restrictions were a bit more cosmetic (though magic swords being plentiful and powerful have long been a significant boost to fighter strength). And I've always liked the idea that any class can use any weapon; they just aren't necessarily proficient with it (worse of two attack rolls).

>D&D 3.5 or PF the objectively superior systems.
This. Overly-complicated, unbalanced clusterfuck systems are obviously the ideal for new GMs.

I've heard of a new one called KYS.
It's highly recommended if you really like a good meme in your game here and there.

Can you show me how it's played? A video log would help.

Just remember to buy the Down the Street of Adventure expansion manual.

Honestly, WH40kRPG.
Percentile systems are easy, and the basic mechanics are intuitive.

The one you are most interested in.

Excessively rules light games like this stuff is terrible for new GMs. You people who play RPG for a long type don't realize how useful the various DM handbooks are for new GMs. As much as elitists like to deride D&D, most of the editions have really good dungeon master handbooks.

Point buy systems are also a no-no unless they give very few points. Anything that gives the players dozens of points is going to mean hours wasted creating their first characters.

3:16 Carnage Among the Stars. Simple system. Simple game. If you make mistakes the campaign doesn't have to be particularly long.

I learned with Basic D&D way back in the day, and honestly made up half the shit as I went along. For rules-light games, you don't need much in the way of mechanical guidance, and general tips on GMing aren't game-specific.

D&D 4e or 5e
Strike! RPG
BECMI/RC D&D or Dark Dungeons
Basic Fantasy RPG
Mouse Guard
Golden Sky Stories
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire