/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Cartography Edition

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Show me your favorites maps!

Other urls found in this thread:

theredepic.bigcartel.com/category/volo-s-guide-to-monsters-digital-downloads
youtu.be/PDCZLsGLKaQ?list=LLsiXFl_bi3HXiRLigQGnMRg
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004WKPM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480408909&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=colored tokens&dpPl=1&dpID=41C0-SK6ZeL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Speaking of which: does anyone have VGM on Roll20 and is willing to rip the maps, or has/is willing to get the digital maps from the artist for the trove?

theredepic.bigcartel.com/category/volo-s-guide-to-monsters-digital-downloads

How do we fix the shitty alignment system?
Or have we already fixed it by basically ignoring it?

>Or have we already fixed it by basically ignoring it?
Yeah, this. I just write "neutral" on all my character sheets and play them according to the actually relevant personality traits and motivations I decided for them.

Is Close Quarters Shooter busted, /5eg/? I'm toying with the idea of a fighter 1/sun soul x, and it's just about perfect- I could use my blasts as melee attacks or ranged, ignore cover for their full range, and even get a bonus to hit.
Granted, this is also assuming that RAW is RAI as far as including ranged spell attacks.
Pic related, kinda.

Alignment should be LG, CG, TN, LE, CE.
The chaotic alignments cover anything that isn't lawful and TN should be reserved for unintelligent monsters, animals and beings beyond understanding.

I guess this would be the place to ask.
I'm reading into ADND 1e but I don't understand why a monster's AC gets lower the more difficult it is.

>That's one of their prime roles in the party, since they're not nearly as good at mook wave fighting as are the other martials.

Not as good as a fighter for sure, but don't see how they'd be worse than a Monk or Ranger or barb.

I love Paladin but man do I wish they had some ability to do AoE or Ranged. That's why I've always wanted to MC lock, sorc or bard

yea it's pretty ridiculous.

If it says "ranged attacks", it works for spells. "ranged weapon attacks", only weapons.

youtu.be/PDCZLsGLKaQ?list=LLsiXFl_bi3HXiRLigQGnMRg

>I guess this would be the place to ask.
You guessed wrong. This is for 5e, not 1e.

>I'm reading into ADND 1e but I don't understand why a monster's AC gets lower the more difficult it is.
I don't know because I haven't played 1e.
But is it fuck-huge? Does it have a ton of HP?

Lots of monsters that aren't dragons whose hide grows super strong get easier to hit when they get gigantic. But they will fuck you up in 6 seconds or less.

ASIs are tied to class level, rather than total level, do you guys think it's for the better? Explain your answers please.

On a different note, say I "Oil change" my urine into holy water, would I have to empty my bladder on an undead/fiend in order for them to take the damage of holy water? Or can I use the contents on my bladder several times and end up with more uses from a single vial of holy water?

THAC0
Every character has a To Hit Armor Class 0, with 0 being the AC that the math is based around, although should not be considered a default number.
If you have a THAC0 of 15, you must roll a 15 to hit an AC of 0. If they have a 5 AC you subtract 5, and thus need a 10. If they have a -5, you need a 20.

Thanks, that makes sense now.

What is something cheap I can buy to use as token for my in-person games? Need a quite a few and some variation (even if it's just color).

I had the starter kit of fourth edition, I used their tokens to represent PC's and their allies.

Then I bought coloured tokens from Amazon, there were like 200 of them for something like 4 dollars. I use the different colours to represent different types of monsters.

Thanks, brah.

Thanks heaps, brah, especially for the excellent links. They'll definitely come in handy and are pretty excellent in general.

Actually was thinking of having the PCs be part of an investigative group armed with D&D magic and modern armaments.

Really wished they could've made Strahd a Darklord. But then, he is meant to be overcome by 10th level characters so he's not exactly at the pinnacle of power.

One of the benefits to the system was that you only needed to calculate your THAC0 once something changed. Sure, adding your various modifiers in 5e is easy, but it still takes math at some level, you always knew your THAC0, your DM told you a target number, and you hit it or didn't, just looking at the die. Since a DM had those stats either via book, or pre-generated with notes, they also didn't need to do any math at that given moment, just look at a number.

I'm mostly annoyed that Strahd is just a slightly up tuned vampire. Other than his lair actions, he's pretty much straight out of the MM.

If it was character level it would make multi-classing way way better, and that's it really.

but without Extra attack also going from some non class-level dependent, multi-classing will never be what it was in past editions.

And that's ok, that's what 5e was going for.

pathfinder pawn boxes

I got the NPC, monster, and bestiary box for $60~ total and that is like 900~ nice little tokens for anything you could ever want.

i mean what do you want? plenty distinct with his lair actions and such

I think that without ASIs being tied to class level, you would need additional filler features for each class, otherwise every 4th level does fuck all, and leveling up to get 1 hit die is a horrible feeling.

Repost from last thread:
So I just watched the latest Coville episode about open world/sand box games. So what are some good low level modules. I have Caves of Chaos from Next but I don't know what else would be a good option.

Got that amazon link?

These are for the colored tokens.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004WKPM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480408909&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=colored tokens&dpPl=1&dpID=41C0-SK6ZeL&ref=plSrch

The tokens I used for the PCs are from the starter kit, so you're better off looking for something else.

OSR would probably be the best place for future questions. Most old school hacks have also done away with THAC0, but that thread should have the best knowledge base for AD&D.

The main problem was that situational modifiers were very much a thing. Once the cleric casts Bless you have to remember that the +1 to hit lowers your THAC0 by 1, and then the acid trap you walked into gives you a -2 AC, which raises it up 2 points.

Oh yea, I'm totally cool with it being gone, it just definitely had its upside, which most people ignore. It's also infinitely simpler than people who didn't use it think it is.

>He hasn't been to the Tate Modern

user artists do fucked up shit.

It's easy enough to flip around THAC0 anyway. Just subtract the AC from 20 to get the new AC, and then do the same with your THAC0 score to get an attack bonus.

AC of 5 is AC 15. THAC0 of 18 is an attack bonus of +2.

Generally works out, if I'm remembering right.

Alignment means nothing. Just play a character.

How do I effectively use Sleet Storm or Fog Cloud? Everyone in there is blind so they don't actually get advantage or disadvantage, right?

He really should've been made into a distinct monster, not just a slightly rehashed vampire.

Also, based on how he's statted, I'm curious how he managed to overcome the Mad Mage, old Mordy, considering the Mordy has 9th level spells..

Assuming creatures in the cloud are trying to attack other creatures in the cloud. Generally you don't want to cast it on your allies unless you're trying to escape, heal, or buff under cover. Such spells are best for dealing with enemies attacking you from range.

It's also worth noting that Silent Image is usually going to be a better pick than Fog Cloud. It's a smaller area, but you can literally make an illusory fog cloud and get all the benefits plus as the caster you can see through it without issue.

I guess our friend was just too spent after traversing through Ravenloft. That's the only explanation I can think of.

>new UA for druid is out

>Shepard Druid
Fuck yes spirit animals.

This brings up a question I had concerning summons. When you summon something and it rolls its own initiative, say it rolled lower than your init, would it be able to then take its turn? Or does it act "surprised" and begin its turn at the next round wherever it landed in the order?

Also, how can you play a summoner and not be a headache for the DM? My thought is just make sure you know the statistics for those creatures as well as you should know your character. But slowing down combat with all the extra turns seems annoying.

Summoner controls their creature during combat.

But he usually travels with 8.

A kind user has donated the Beholder Lair map from VGM. It'll be added to the Mega shortly.

Any other donations of the others would be greatly appreciated.

Is twilight circle op or what?

>d10 necrotic smites that work on anything and can heal people, and don't use spell slots

??

It's a limited enough resource that it's not OP at all.

Why did you start a new thread without telling me, /5eg/?

What would a cleric domain of binding and imprisoning evil look like? Protection with a changed spell list?

Cleric can already cast the hold spells and banishment.

Just give him appropriate domain spells.

Yeah I meant changed domain spell list

You'd probably want a different channel divinity option, even it its just a fiend specific banishing.

>travelling comedian
>mocked holier than thou paladin for being showy and arrogant
>angry paladin says comedian should try adventuring before bitching about the local heroes
>lol okay

That was a very shortened version of my Satire Bard's backstory/character, now level 3 and soon to go back home after completing a big awesome adventure while being scryed and publically displayed by town Wizard. The character is fun but very loud and silly, and I thought it'd be cool if his character development came mostly from taking a Paladin oath and becoming a stereotypical 'hero' as an example to all the Chaotic Stupid and selfish adventurers of the setting.

Is Satire Bard 4/Devotion Paladin 16 optimal at all? If not, anyone else got an idea to do this concept without being super gimped? Note that this also came mechanically from our complete lack of a primary melee (and a Rogue and Monk that insist on using their Shortbows all the time), so I'm always up in the front. So it probably also involves some tanking and good melee damage output, not longbow-man.

Anons? Way back in AD&D, halflings had a subrace called the Stout, who were reputed to have dwarven blood, and a subrace called the Tallfellow, who were quite obviously implied to have elven blood.

Now, the Stout returned as one of the first official halfling subraces, and I think I could probably pull off a Tallfellow subrace in homebrew, but I'm curious:

What would you call a halfling subrace with similar "presumed" human hybrid ancestry? Strongheart?

And what racial abilities would you give it?

Protection from evil, hold person, hold monster, banishment, these are some ideas for domain spells.

Now for 5th level you have some good stuff like planar binding, dispel evil and dominate person are all good candidates against hold monster. You'd have to choose those yourself.

What would needed to take down an elven god? Namely Corellon.

Here's what I have:

1st alarm, protection from evil and good
3rd arcane lock, zone of truth
5th glyph of warding, magic circle
7th banishment, guardian of faith
9th planar binding, hold monster

Also the Arcana domain has a turn outsider type feature that looks interesting

That's good, you could also take hold person, though it's already in the cleric spell list, arcane lock might be better.

What traits did you have in mind for the domain?

Dispel Evil and Good probably is more thematic than hold monster.

Read about THAC0

You mean fluff, or the abilities it grants?

I was just looking at the Protection or maybe Life (as a kind of generic cleric skillset) for the features apart from the spell list. The Arcane Abjuration part of Arcana domain looks really neat but the lvl 1 feature is too wizardy and the lvl 6 one doesn't really mesh. I guess the 8th level feature has to be either divine strike or potent spellcasting so I guess I should decide whether to be blasty or hitty (leaning towards melee at the moment).

Hmm. A lot of these spells seem to have overlapping uses. That one does look good though.

Can you make Dark Souls/Bloodborne style chars with 5e?

No

Melee would be great, make sure you give it proficiency with heavy armor atleast, gives a great paladin feel, more thematic than a paladin.

Another god of equal or greater power, multiple gods that sort of thing

If you're talking about PCs actually going and attempting to kill Corellon then lolno

What does that even mean?

59th for kobold dragon-hunting party
good morning, /5eg/

What's a good DC to convince a hobgoblin warlord to give up his only daughter for marriage?

Binding Domain

>Domain Spells
Cleric Level Spells
1st alarm, protection from evil and good
3rd arcane lock, zone of truth
5th glyph of warding, magic circle
7th banishment, guardian of faith
9th dispel evil and good, planar binding

>1: Heavy armor proficiency, shield of the faithful (PROTECTION)
Reaction to impose disadv. on attack within 5'
>2: Channel Dvinity: Arcane Abjuration (ARCANA)
Turn outsiders, and banish them for 1 minute at higher levels
>6: Blessed Healer (LIFE/PROTECTION)
2+spell level hit points to self
>8: Divine Strike (LIFE/PROTECTION)
+1d8 radiant to attacks
>17: doesn't matter, will never play that far

Balanced? How does arcane abjuration stack against the other CDs like preserve life, radiance of the dawn and guiding strike?

What's his armor class?

Depends on the situation. If the marriage is already a good deal for him then it would be pretty easy, so 15 or 10 maybe. If he's already against it it would be near impossible without presenting a good argument. 30 on the latter.

Arcane abjuration sucks if you're not in a campaign dealing heavily with things its be relevant against.

The reason I've not played an Arcana Cleric really. Compared to Tempest/Life/Light/other good CDs it just sucks. And Arcana's CD works vs more stuff than yours

19 without his shield, 21 with it

>And Arcana's CD works vs more stuff than yours
I mean I'd copy it directly.
>>celestial, elemental, fey, or fiend of your choice that
I just used "outsider" as shorthand for that.

wouldn't call it anything cause it doesn't need to exist. there are already three halfling subraces. just rename one

I'm DMing a game with a player who keeps on trying to go everywhere naked (probably for shits and giggles, hopefully not magical realm). Ideas for how to mess with him?

Everyone laughs

Charisma save to not shrivel and get laughed at even harder

A gang of ogres catch him and begin raping him. The rest of the party rescues him, but only after he's well and truly defiled.

Strong wind comes around, he has to do Con saving throws or will get one level of exhaustion, unless he is a Goliath of course.

So the DC is 19 or 21 then, repeat until dead or unconcious

Gotcha, as I said it's still one of the worst generally.

In a campaign fighting against the demon king and his horde of fiends? Bretty ok then. Otherwise bad. Might be fluff appropriate, but bad.

I wouldn't set a single DC for it. That shit is a multi DC skill challenge type situation.

The main bad in the campaign (and kind of what the order of binders were binding) is fiends. I think. Although we've only fought fiends maybe three times so far, it's linked to the theme.

This is pretty good, definitely going to happen next time he goes into town.

I mean, the whole point is to avoid the magic realm...

Be pretty funny if this just keeps on happening until he maxes out his exhaustion. All because he never put clothes on. Anyone got anything else? Having guards insist he put clothes on is getting kind of dull.

A noble wizard feels disgraced that he is shown a naked man walking into the streets and makes plans to fuck his shit up.

Don't emphasize the sexual aspect; emphasize the terror and brutality. Make it abundantly clear that he will never be the same again, and he probably won't ever feel comfortable in sexual situations. Even nudity might require a save to maintain in the presence of others, lest he be overwhelmed by shame and self-loathing.

I have a whole nation of asshole noble wizards in my setting, this one will definitely get used

>Don't emphasize the sexual aspect; emphasize the terror and brutality.
Are you fucking trolling? Don't emphasize the sexual aspect so maybe don't fucking put rape in your games at all.

Why do people hate alignment so much?

Lawful-chaotic seems very useful to me for determining quickly the social behaviours of somebody.
You can tell straight away that a gnoll will tend towards being nomadic and not giving a shit about honour whereas a kobold is more likely to join part of a hierarchy.

Good-Evil is a very simplistic way to say 'does this person ultimately want to be at peace with everything around it, or just want everything for themselves?'

Yes, it doesn't describe your entire character like a whole autobiography does, but it's literally just two fucking words for up to nine combinations with the possibility of unaligned or something too. What's wrong with that?

Make his catch a disease, but make the effects more funny than punishing.

But the pain and humiliation is vital in discouraging the behavior

Wholelings
Three-quarterlings

Cold weather saves would have disadvantage if not wearing any suitable clothing.

If they move to a totalitarian place, they WILL get arrested. Heck, maybe even the local guards can just fucking arrest them already.
If they try to resist, remember that the strong point of lawful creatures is that they have more lawful creatures to back them up. It only takes a few guards to shove a barbarian to the ground, grapple them and disarm them, even if the barbarian is raging and at a high level.

People will obviously have a bad opinion of them.

Have a trap that does immense damage to unprotected things but very little to anything wearing something. Imagine it like alpha radiation, the trap designed to kill off monsters such as slimes while leaving humans and those that wear clothes mostly unharmed.
Say, a 'magical ray' trap that blasts you, and the damage is massively reduced depending on armour/clothing.
Simply wearing clothing might be enough to reduce the damage to a quarter.

A whole nation of asshole noble wizards sounds gamebreaking, especially when a large band of level 2 wizards can beat practically anything.

And it goes without saying no shop would serve them and no tavern would allow them.

But I wonder if OP was thinking of town/social or dungeon/combat situations?

>he has to sleep naked out on the streets with thieves and muggers everywhere that would steal anything they have
I don't get what OP's problem is.

It's alright, they're busy fighting a nation of equally game-breaking monsters, which is why most people are ignored by them. Except when they're being taken as slaves, but whatever.

Both, really. So far it hasn't come up too much when they're in dungeons (it only started happening recently, when the barbarian took 'unarmored defense' a little too seriously)

About nakedness, should I tell my heavily armored players to take off their gear when sleeping?
I don't think sleeping in plate armor would be very comfortable. And if they take their stuff off and an encounter occurs at night should they fight in their pajamas?

Eh, isn't there's all kinds of padding inside armour, I imagine sleeping in it would be like having your own sleeping bag and hard surface combined so you wouldn't feel any stones underneath. Though probably a bit sweaty and smelly.

If you do that, it's a bit unfair.

It punishes anyone who has dumped dex (Which is already punishing enough to them already) by making them super squishy (so the party's tank could become even weaker than the wizard if they don't have armour on). At the very least you should probably give them some padding that's sort of like light armour and doesn't penalize them for negative dex.

Heavy armour gives barely enough benefits to justify giving such a penalty, so for 5e I'd probably avoid doing it except in certain situations, such as on rare occasions in a city where everybody thinks they're perfectly safe and thus nobody in the party is prepared at all.

Please say they're all portent wizards for maximum gamebreak.

It ultimately leads to confusion when players use it.

I'll let them sleep with their armor on then.
Also thank god for all these online calculators for fictive moon phases and other shit. No way I could calculate them myself for a made up planet with three moons.

Well, that's true.
I suppose it's not awfully untuitive, despite the limited number of options.

There is a sect of them that uses magic, but most of them use psionics (which happens when you port over a setting from 2e).

What do I do with a player who seems incapable of learning any rules no matter how may times I explain how shit works?
On a level up I reminded the players that hey had two ability points to assign, and he just added two on everything. He also had an extra skill picked since counting to two is apparently too hard.

How would you handle a Warlock using Create Thrall on another player?

what is ASI?

Ability Score Improvement