What kind of helmets do horned characters use?

what kind of helmets do horned characters use?

Helmets with slits in them so the horns can fit.

The kind with holes/slots

Maybe something that fits on as multiple segments

Same types goats use in Ironclaw.

It's gonna be quite a hassle if they want a face-covering helmet

Not really. You just have it hinged. Or have it closing down the front.

Ones for ants.

Probably limited to open-faced helmets for most purposes.

Open faced helmets are still plenty protective as long as you get hit in the not-face parts.

Think something like a skull cap that fits over the crown of the head, perhaps with a nasal coming down between the horns.

You could supplement this with a detachable face-guard that fastens to lugs on either side of the skull cap.

It does depend on where the horns are coming out of the head and how thick they are.

Coming out of the forehead would cause slight problems but certainly face protection that goes up to, or even closes around the horns to hold itself on would be fine.

If the horns are further up on the skull or round the sides then the slot idea would work, perhaps with flaps of metal that then close down over the slots.

Winged, duh.

pretty much like this, except horns instead of ears

if the horns were as long as those ears it would be hard to put on without help.

But I suppose horned folks would just have to live with that

It also depends on the direction of the horns. That requires them to rise straight upwards or near straight upwards.

Made me kek

I'm using a horned race in a thing I'm doing and I've solved this by making helmets a two-piece kinda thing that consists of a helmet with slits and a mask that compliments it to make the "full" soldier helmet

Maybe this is a bit autistic, but realistically, wouldn't anything that natively have horns, also have a reinforced skull and resistance to concussions?

Most games this wouldn't matter, but I know in GURPS stuff like Minotaurs gets a small bonus to skull damage reduction.

Just because you are resistant to it, doesn't mean that you don't want protection.

Certainly. Was just thinking about it I guess, you'd want to avoid cuts at least anyways.

Now it makes me think if horns grow back or not. If not you may want to armor the horns too? Probably increase the weight of the helm. but a horned race probably have some extra neck muscle as well.

I've pondered about this myself; I guess a helmet in two pieces, frontal (like a mask of sorts) and a another piece for the back of the head and nape. Both parts would be joined by a hinge in one side,or some other articulated part.

not all horns go straight in the same direction tho

I might consider spiked coverings on the horns, just so people can't grab them.

If it's ram like, then armoring them for combat use might be practical. otherwise, if they are just deer antler like things, just let them be.

Antlers and horns aren't the same thing; animals shed their antlers and grow new ones every year.

You could have interesting cultural practices around that, actually, where antlered humanoids only campaign in the spring when their antlers are still gone or very small, so that they can armour properly, and try to avoid having wars last into the summer, when their larger antlers become more difficult to work around.

Came to post this. Mechanically this is the simplest solution, considering the curves and random growth of horns in fantasy.

Take a look at some of the armored Beastmen units for Warhammer fb

Holy.