Kobold Thread: Scaly Servitors Edition

So, we all know kobolds love to serve dragons, ever since 3rd edition at least, which has become as defining for them in D&D circles as their being small, weak, clever and good with traps. But what about other reptilian monsters? Could you believably see kobold tribes deciding other reptilian creatures are "good enough" and trying to emulate or revere them the way they normally do dragons?

For example, could you see a jungle-dwelling clan of kobolds who have come to revere coatls, perhaps as some sort of fertility and light god? Pic related.

Also, general kobold thread; it's been a while since we've had one.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/FU9dl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Playing a kobold bard in a monster adventure today. Any suggestions?

First thing to pop into mind is a herald figure for a more powerful master, somebody whose training is all about boasting of what his/her great and mighty superior is capable of doing, or bolstering the ego of another party member.

What edition you playing? That'd help give better suggestions - a kobold jester (5e's College of Satire) is a great match-up in terms of fluff.

I fluff my kobolds are the result of draconic presence and affliction on metal ores.

Mine are fluffed into two factions, The native reptilian kobold and the furcovered kobold which sneak aboard ships and ended up in the west because of trade ships. The creatures have nothing in common other than stature and stat blocks. Their language is different and only by coincidence did they both happen to call their races kobold, They each believe they are the true kobold and that the other should be called "kobald" instead. They have a feud over this small detail. All the while every other race just calls them both kobold because they don't care and view them both as vermin.

The thing is, Kobolds serve dragons because they believe that they themselves have dragon blood, even if very weak, at least in DnD. There's nothing stopping you from making Kobolds different, or having a variant with the blood of coatls or something.

Oh, I know that. Although D&D and Pathfinder both explain that part of their admiration comes from the fact that dragons are the biggest baddies around, whilst kobolds are... quite the opposite.

So, since scaly kobolds are generally considered the most desirable form of kobold, I'm curious; do folks prefer them flatchested, or do you go ahead and give them breasts?

And would you consider "pseudo-breasts", where kobolds have no nipples, but well-fed ones do grow breast-like fat deposits on their chest, to be a reasonable compromise between the two?

Hold that thought.
What if couatls, wyverns, sea serpents, etc. were classified as "dragon" type monsters, not true dragons but closely related, and they all had their own subspecies of kobold slaves that resemble them as a natural ability rather than a costume?

Aren't kobolds obsessed with dragons? To the point where entire villages seppuku themselves by literally climbing into the mouth and stomachs of dragons if they happen to see one?

this just means If I play as one I can ignore what gender it is because it varies and doesn't matter.

Well, that depends entirely. Do they have breasts or pseudo breasts in canon?

As a matter of fact, if memory serves, Wyverns and Sea Serpents were Dragon Type in 3.5 and Pathfinder. Coatls weren't, but that's because they're Outsiders and so not considered anything other than angels.

Being obsessed with dragons? According to pretty much all of their dedicated sourcebooks from 3e onwards. To the point of happily commiting suicide by dragon belly? That was in the 4e Dungeon Survival Guide, but I honestly can't say I've ever seen it before or since.

Nope, and Nope.

tommorow i got oc to post.

I'm setting up a game for my group with an all-kobold party. We'll be playing the Kingmaker adventure path from Pathfinder, except centered around the Sootscale tribe instead of a human exploration group.

Low levels will be fighting against the competing tribe of mites while avoiding bandits. Mid levels will be expanding the territory of the tribe while fighting off human incursion and removing bandit.

How do I keep a "koboldish" feeling going as the party levels up? At low levels there will be plenty of encounters that would stomp the PCs' faces in a stand up fight, so they'll have to be clever and stealthy and rely on battlefield prep/traps. I'm worried that high levels will lose the kobold feel and be regular pathfinder with lizard pcs.

Reminder to keep your kobolds warm in the coming winter months.

Really? Sounds like a vorefag got into the splatbooks.

Maybe have some them face direct conflict with another expanding empire going for the same land. The other faction is an all around better fighting force that the PC's won't be able to overcome through direct conflict. Instead infiltration and subterfuge will have to be used to weaken the opposing empire to allow them to keep their land and repel this new threat

Kobold thread makes me a happy chappy.

Should have had the furry kobolds have their own unique and different name, which they've given up on trying to get anyone other than themselves to use instead of kobold.

Life...uhhh...finds a way.

Obligatory.

>Nope, and Nope.
here's your answer.

Is there a higher res of this?

What book is this from?

Pathfinder monster
Manuel

Ahh, Kobolds of Golarion? Found it.

I love how this is from a PF book and yet it's still the best advertisement for Volo's Guide to Monsters I've seen yet.

Well considering the kobold races survival is based on two things, ţhe scaryness of their protector and their great ability to run away: sure as long as they can fufil those two that sounds cool.

In my settings Kobolds have a wide variety of templates as result of their magic based ancestry so they may or may not lactate and even give live birth depending on the sub species, its also part of why dragons are so diverse, from wyverns to drakes to lungs, scaled to plumed etc.

Kobolds should be a goblin subrace

>goblin/kobold mix
>most forbidden of loves

do you like your Kobolds Didgitigrade or plantigrade?

cutie

>e] [Auto] 1 new post
what is that creature that pink thing is positioning to violate?

Okay but what I'm saying is, what if kobolds had a natural ability to copy some physical traits of their boss monster? What if they weren't even reptilian originally?

Pic. related just single-handily defeated a group of max. leveled adventurers with the best gear one can get from boss battles and the most difficult quests.

How moist are now the female Kobolds?

Digitigrade.

Dragons can fucking shapeshift

Why not just make them outright hermaphroditic?

Plus, really, how do you think they survive as a species in a world where they honestly rank below some of the *plants* on their local food chain? Constant pregnancy, gender-bending or hermaphroditism are pretty much the only things keeping them from being eaten out of existence.

That's honestly what I went with in one homebrew world of mine, but I was set on that detail before Volo's even came out.

sequential hermaphrodites are better known among vertebrates then simultaneous, Clown fish, African frogs and such, makes it more plausible

So, I'm curious, folks; we all know that kobolds have had PC stats in every D&D edition since 2nd edition at the least, and all of 'em are up on 1d4chan for comparison, which edition has your favorite set of kobold stats?

Me? My favorite's probably the 4e ruleset, simply because that's the only edition where they aren't gimped. Hell, with 4e's focus on mobility, they're actually pretty damn powerful, especially since they have perfect stat boosts for a Dragon Sorcerer (+2 Con, +2 Cha).

Dragon sorc was CHA/STR

Because that wouldnt fufill the writers fetish.

I have mine like clown fish in that the chieftain is always the largest, most dominant and thus always remains male to more effectively pass along its genes.
To decrease the odds of them having to hava a pause in reproduction, lower level leaders like high priests, sorcerers, chieftain's guard, and ect are split into 4 groups that rotate between male and female so that they may also pass on their genes to keep a less stagnant gene pool and still mate with the chieftain.

In case the chieftain dies, the largest, most dominant male becomes the new chieftain.

Question which seems relevant to this thread: Is Kurtulmak a shit? I like kobolds, I like the scrappy underdog trappers and miners things, I like the dragon-heated tiny-bodied stuff, but Kurtulmak? Depending on the version of the canon, he's either real bad at being a kobold, not their creator deity, a bad miner, a bad trapper, or sometimes all four? Is it mostly a tiny-person-enslaved-to-fear thing?

I've got a fairly new party, and after clearing out an old watch tower and claiming it as their home I've decided that a group of Kobolds should be living beneath it. Pleased with the goblin's departure they're going to try to team up with the players. Here's what I need to know!

What would the little buggers give up as an offering to the mighty (level 2) players?
Would a Kobold set up a shop for them?
What kind of goodies would they be trading?
What would they be wanting in return?

In my game Kurtulmak tries his best to be a good god for his Kobolds, but ultimately fails. Not necessarily because he sucks, but because he feels constantly pressured to be "evil" (as that's his assigned alignment) when his true nature is chaotic good at worst.

all I know is that in my setting the Gnome's god was framed for the crime against him by the Kender's deity, who has been fucking with alignment hiding magics

Extremely. Pic related.

I really like this rendition of kobolds; making them have different reptilian body types makes them seem more real and adds more diversity to an otherwise kind of samey race. I like it.

>wink clean.png
>clean
I don't suppose there's another version you could link, is there?

>wink clean
user, there wouldn't happen to be another half to that picture, would there?

It doesn't mean clean as in sfw. It literally means without a mess. I removed the mess that was originally on the face.
There is also a Wink unclean that is still messy.
and possibly one with the source of the mess that drastically changes the rating of the image
I'll see what I can find when i get of work

much like this guy's take

Heading for dragon smokes weather for me.

Honestly at a certain point you should allow them to feel powerful.

Source?

>or some say kosm.png

2lewd4me

imgur.com/a/FU9dl

T-thanks

given species populations shouldn't kobolds and goblinoids be a more likely candidate for PCs then humans?

No, because PCs are special and useful.

>To be more like dragons, some kobold youths have taken to huffing gunpower to spit out fire.
>The kobold youth fatality rate is the highest it's been since the war, but at least interest in alchemy is spiking.

>Mad Kobold Bomber
>Runs through the streets throwing bottles of phosphorus because he wants to be a dragon
>Tries to sneak but the smell of buckthorn and sulfur gives it away pretty quick
>Steals a hang glider, paints it red, claims to be a small Red, but is too smol and obviously just a really hyper kobold who's inhaled too many fumes
Sounds cute/scary

Just whipped this up on my phone while at work.

>on my phone
...how in the fuck

It's amazing what you can do with plenty of practice, time and little to no alternatives.

How the fuck do you do that level of detail, though? A lot of those lines would actually be impossible on my phone, even with a stylus.

Apps that allow you to zoom in and out and have multiple layers are a must. Rotating the phone to get the best angle helps too.

These are pretty standard on computer programs but I've gone through 7-8 apps to find the one I'm using now.

I made that image, and regret nothing.

>see this
>wat do

give her a t-shirt to cover up with

which I can't give an example of because I apparently didn't save the t-shirt version of this

flat, with pectoral definition.

Folks, I'm curious; if you wanted to give kobolds a major role in your setting, how would you do it? My kneejerk reaction is to have them take the place of gnomes as the small, clever tinkers adept with both technology and science; not the best at either, but willing and able to merge them together in ways that other races might not countenance.

I spin mine as a sort of Harpers/Zhentarim hybrid. They're surprisingly good at getting themselves under-estimated despite being very bright, clever, and having a strong "family first" orientation that ultimately makes them one big nationwide network.

Hurt the wrong person, get the wrong kind attention. The kind of attention where one is begging on their knees not to be stabbed while another one prepares to stab someone behind their knees.

I shy away from ever including them because they're part of my magical realm.

I go with the Cutebold version, where they're dumb, innocent little guys with a lot of heart. They're as widespread as rodents, and in some cultures regarded with as such.

I kinda wish kobolds had pug faces instead of being lizards.

But lizards are cute!

Well last I checked kobolds are free domain, you can make them w/e and the only thing youd have to worry about is autists.

>the only thing youd have to worry about is autists
So everyone interested in them at all

>so everyone on Veeky Forums
ftfy