/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Last thread
Share your homerules on feats. Have you buffed any? Created any? Banned any?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTQ-YXYQROWByN_FuKAmOCgAF9KiHeAT3U_SnirnBmnOTZRkMOxQTuvnvDiKt8nXTnXULVq9-XYMWPI/pub
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thanks. I keep coming across people saying certain parts of Minotaur or Undying Light Pact are OP or unbalanced. Just wanted to know what I'm getting into.

Yes. Especially on a Wild Shape Druid, since their physical ability scores are clearly dissociated. Mental ability scores I would definitely make them affect the Druid though, since they don't change on shapeshift.

Polymorph might be another story though.

The effect is constant no matter if the Druid gets hit with it while in Normal form or Animal form. Shifting between the two does not change the Drain. Both forms are Drained the same amount; it persists.

Ways to deal with a Halfling Arcane Trickster Rogue (reliance on Misty Step), who has a decently high AC (18), as well as Lucky, and godlike movement speed (45ft) at 10th level?

He's getting a big head because every fight he's dashing / bamfing around "nothing personnel"ing people.

Dwarf-Fighter-Shadow-Monk-In-Plate-Armor, you've inspired me.
I'm thinking about running a Fighter 1/Sun Soul X. Sun Bolt has no stipulation about armor, weapons, shields, or even a free hand, so my plan is to use medium armor and a shield and max Dex, saving ki for mobility and bonus Sun Bolts and basically ignoring FoB.
So here's the question: Am I going way too far with the cheese if I ask to take Close Quarters Shooter as my fighting style? It'd give me +1 to hit with my Sun Bolts, ignore cover up to their full range, and even let me use them in melee range. Which is good; the character is for an Elder Scrolls campaign, a redguard, and in our stat writeup they get Dex and Con, so I can have great AC even without maxed Wis and can fluff the Bolts as fighting with a Sword Saint's Swords of Light.
I'm confident I could have fun with the combo, but is this too much splatfuckery to justify?

Counterspell on the misty step.

An attribute penalty that comes by way of magic shouldn't go away if a Druid shifts. It's one thing to close a bleeding gash in your arm by shifting into an entirely different form (especially one that doesn't have an arm), but consider how any other spell interacts with Druid shifting.

If a Druid casts Jump on himself, or someone maintains Haste on him, and he shifts into an animal, he is still Jumped and Hasted. How would the magical drain of a shadow's touch be any different? It's negative energy literally sapping away at life (positive) energy, not a mere withering of muscle.

How the hell did he get a 45 foot base speed?

Make sure when you do use it, you use the counter spell during a tough fight, and make sure the rogue gets his ass kicked abit, let him realize that he can't soley rely on that shitty combo.

The reason I say this is that you can't just introduce counterspell to every encounter for the sole reason to target that player.

So use it once, but make it count, teach him a lesson.

Followed by a healthy dose of Hold Person

My bad, it's a Half-Elf (wood elf) so he gets +5 for that.

Early early on in the campaign, before understanding 5e that well (coming from 3.5) I gave my player (the ranger) a belt that gave him +10 movement speed. He died, and now the rogue has it.

An enemy Divination Wizard casts a save-or-suck on him. When he uses Lucky, slap him with a Portent.

Most magic items are cancer.

>Items are literally just upgrades
>Players fight over who gets more upgrades
>Powers are too powerful for being common in 5e
>DMs still hand them out like candy anyway
>DMs expect to fulfill a 'quota' of magic items with magic items that just so happen to conveniently benefit characters
>Magic items often have very vague reason for being there. 'Oh, it's just loot!' or such. Only some artefacts that you often specifically hunt for have a history and purpose for being where they are.

Of course, it's fine if the DM isn't an idiot but hot damn, some items in even official adventures do little more than double the damage output of certain characters.

>Your DM is a massive faggot.
>You should replace him.

I finished building my Flash-Gordon 80s Fantasy themed setting in november, emailed the group, seems like we'll be running my campaign starting in the new year.
He's also thinking of bringing his games from twice a month down to once a month.

If he moves normally in to shank a bitch, he provokes AOOs from anybody he moves past. If he teleports in and moves normally out, he provokes AOOs outbound. He can't Disengage, Attack, and Misty Step since he only has one bonus action per round. No matter how he does it, he either ends his turn in the danger zone or provokes.

Also, readied actions are a fucking godsend. The ogre next to the mage decides "Imma grab that shit when he teleports over here" and wow he's taking all fifteen inches.

>he dashes into a trap
>well done, turns out running straight at the enemy doesn't always let you run straight away again

A Pc wants his background to be he was sexually abused/raped by his father and he killed his father out of revenge and now he atoning by becoming a monk. I told him it was inappropriate and to do something else, so he introduces himself to the party referencing that mentioning the child rape, I intervene and say I told you not to use that backstory.

"Why not? Why is that too heavy for you?"

2 players text me it's weird, it seems to go on ok until he decides to murder hobo for some enchanted weapons and won't fuck off when I stonewall the fact that he can't sneak and steal enchanted weapons at lvl 3

>the magical alarms go off as you set foot into the vault
>i go in, fails dex save
>you activate a magical trap
>roll wisdom
>nat1
>you deform and twist into a horrifying caricature of a person
>blood, bones that twist crack and mend and pieces of you that shouldn't belong to a dragonborn sputter off
>you begin to lose your self in the pain and see a bright light, you remember a name... And memories that aren't yours
>the previous you is all is all but forgotten as your form slowly settles into what appears to be a dwarf wearing chain mail
>you remember your name as default barbarian number 3

He laughed his ass off and is now playing an amnesiac dwarf barbarian named number 3, found in an enchanters vault

I see nothing wrong with this. Embrace the wuxia life, user.
It's not like it's possible to break the game with a Monk to begin with; certainly not a Sun Soul.

just get/be a better DM

Is there an official Origin for Sorcerer that resembles a traditional witch? If not, can someone recommend me a well-balanced homebrew? What I'm looking for could be described as Sorcerer stats with Warlock fluff, I guess, but re-fluffing the Draconic origin doesn't quite work for me.

Your damage with sun bolts will be shit because you use monk's damage that depends on not wearing armor/non monk weapons.

What setting do you guys want to see next?

What classes do you want to see?

I'm hoping for a Factotum

I think witches are closer to wizards than sorcerers given that anyone can be a witch with training

A traditional witch is a warlock. Sorcerors, even the UAs, all get magic from their blood or heritage: warlocks are the ones that make pacts and bargains for their powers. If you really need to be a Sorceror, do Wild Magic.

That's like asking 'is there an official bare-handed fighter that isn't a monk?'

If you want to play weird character set-ups, play pathfinder. 5e assumes you take the class that actually makes sense when you choose a character idea, even if they do humour people with things such as 'theurgy wizard'.

Also, as said, wizards are probably the second-best thing you'll get.

Sun Bolts follow the damage progression without regard to weapons or armor though. No "same damage as your unarmed strikes" or mention of the martial arts feature- they simply use the table value.
Granted, starting off with 1d4 + Dex attacks isn't the greatest, but it's fun

Sounds cool. If he's having fun don't try to snatch it away from him. At most do what another user suggested and make one encounter specifically where that combo will get him fucked up.

But don't target him specifically over something he finds fun unless it's ruining encounters for everyone else at the table.

At a bare minimum it seems you'd do d4 damage with Sun Bolts, since it specifies the damage is d4 (and not "uses your unarmed damage" or anything similar).

It uses the same wording for Martial Arts as far as damage increases go ("this die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the table") but, unlike Martial Arts' description, does not mention anything about being disabled by armor or shields.

Scaling the damage up despite wearing armor is probably not RAI, but there doesn't seem to be anything against it RAW. Even if it were stuck at d4, you're at least getting +1 AB at all times.

Well there you go.
Wish you luck.

Just remember as a DM, the groups fun is your fun too. That will help you avoid most of the pitfalls of "that DM." (I have no idea if you have much experience DMing or not).

Try not to repeat the things that your DM did that pissed you off so much. I'm sure you understand this already, but player perception is everything. Hope you have fun.

Thinking about rolling a Rogue, never played one before but I'm in the mood for some stealth action. What is more fun/strong Thief or Swashbuckler?

On the one hand Thief seems like a fun class especially if you're creative with your bonus action. Also you can get some healing via Healers kit+feat. Playing a dick who would do anything for cash could be interesting to play. But too many features seem very situational.

On the other hand Swashbuckler seems better for combat and not so situational. Playing a pirate and giving him some accent would also be a nice change of pace.

What do you guys think of my monk home brew? be nice to get some feedback on my attempt to improve my favourite class docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTQ-YXYQROWByN_FuKAmOCgAF9KiHeAT3U_SnirnBmnOTZRkMOxQTuvnvDiKt8nXTnXULVq9-XYMWPI/pub

Summoner class when?

Where's my drill

shepherd druid was just released in the new UA

the crunch is pretty good
I was writing a long brutal paragraph about the fluff, but i'll cut it down to - it's not good.

Conjuration, necro, and illusion wizards
Druid
Beast master ranger

These are your closest options. A dedicated summoner would honestly be annoying as fuck to deal with already slow and not so interesting combats that are ever present in 5e.
Unless of course the summoner used his summons more for utility, and less for combat. I could totally get behind an archetype like that.

But find familiar covers a shit ton of utility roles already. A conjuration wizard can also summon elementals later and not have to worry about losing their concentration.

Both are perfectly fun archetypes, can't go wrong there.

Wild magic would be closer, but closer still would be a Fey Pact warlock.

Shepherd seems pretty good.

I just like the idea of being a zoo collector. Guess Druid is the only way to do that

K senpai the central concept I'm aiming for is seeing the pattern in the universe and using that to achieve a sort of zen but its kind of inconsistent

god I hate druid summons

Fuck pixies holy shit. Druid takes 50% of combat time.

>Bard goes first "Reposition player, inspire X character, dissonant whispers, and that's my turn"
>Druid goes "hm, well, right, I'm going to summon one and a two and a three and four and ahum, let me look at the spell list hm.......
"

Seriously, I'm going to start bringing an hour glass and start dispel magicking the son of a bitch whenever he goes over

Counterspell requires you to see the casting, and Misty Step has no Somatic component.

I know this because a jackass caster got away from the party that way

>anyone can be a witch with training
Wizard is my fall-back choice, but in this setting, witchcraft would be an innate ability passed down a bloodline and unlocked as the witch comes of age. That seems to be perfectly suited to the Sorcerer class.
>a traditional witch is a warlock
Warlock is a fairly versatile physical combat class. I'm interested in a feeble spellcaster with little or no weapon or armour proficiency; ideally one from a magical bloodline with Charisma-based spellcasting.
I don't think it's a weird set-up at all. I've seen a lot of witches in fiction that fit the archetype of a youngster inheriting a magical gift from a parent or ancestor. Harry Potter's concept of "magical blood" being a prerequisite for wizard study is one example. I was just asking around before cementing my character choice. I'll compromise on a wizard if that's the best option I have.

I have a necromancer and a rogue in the party I'm DMing for. The difference in the time they take for their turn is insane most but not all of the time.

>Wizard thinks about where to position his wall of fire. Enemies have to take saving throws. He then tells his skeletons to attack all Winter Wolfes. All his 10+ skeletons pretty much have their own turn (I rule it so that they are right after the wizard in the initiative order).

>Rogue goes to an enemy attacks. Attack misses, he disengages. Turn over.

it's why when I'm on Magebreaker Mode, I keep a Detect Magic on.

Working on an Artificer homebrew, not sure how heavily I want to separate the alchemy angle for potions/flasks, and the part focused on temporarily empowering magic items.

Any thoughts?

I mean if you're going to go with none of the conventions of traditional witchcraft why not just play a sorcerer and introduce yourself as a witch

Okay, but seriously. What if I want to wear full plate and punch people with fists of steel?

is there a repository of side-quest modules out there someplace?

I need Ideas

I think Warlocks actually are the closest thing to the traditional Witch, what with the weird innate powers like speaking to animals and the dead, hexing with a look, and that sort of thing.

>not giving out useless but fun, novelty magic items
>turnip magnet, strongly attracts all nearby vegetables; created by a lazy farmer
>dye wand, randomly changes the colour of fur, hair or clothing fibres; gnomish prank item
>poultry flute, playing it casts a Command spell that only works on birds below 3 INT; young wizard's hobby project
>squeak choker, when worn around the neck, strongly raises the wearer's vocal pitch; tailored for a gruff-voiced lady bard
My players are the sort of meme lords that cherish this stuff more than the actually useful magic items.

Still looking for input on how to play my seer-themed divination wizard.

How can I make it a useful tool for the dm to provide confusing visions and omens to the party, and less annoying for my party members?

Probably just wild magic sorcerer then.

Yeah, I like shepherd a lot as well.
But I think if I were to DM for a druid shepherd PC they will HAVE to have their creature statistics on hand or else that shit isn't gonna be cast because it will take up too much time.

Here's how Potion Brewing Works

Potions reproduce spell effects that target Self for spells you know, that have concentration times that don't rely on having to actually keep a concentration

The price of service for a spell is Spell level * 10* Caster Level, which for a PC we assume it's a minimum. The 50% discount for doing your own service gets offset by the price of consumables

So, a Potion of Barkskin would be 60 gold pieces.

The DMG gives you a guide of how you can craft a magic item by expending the appropriate spell slot and progressing at a rate of 25 GP a day.
A recent variant rule homebrew that has gained some popularity, is to allow an extra 5 gp progress per point of Proficiency in a relevant skill such as Alchemy
You can also produce a formula for your potion at a similar progress with proficency in investigation, at one step of rarity higher

Drinking too many potions in a day, gives your potion sickness

Considering that, you can make an alchemy wizard subclass by balancing around those factors. Wizards double the speed of spell storing of their chosen school, so maybe double the production of potion speed, add a save bonus for potion sickness, and lower the formula for a step equal to that of the potion.

Then do it.

And be outclassed by someone in full plate that slices people with a great sword of steel.

Some people are building one, but it's not finished. It's called Adventure Lookup

>Warlock is a fairly versatile physical combat class. I'm interested in a feeble spellcaster with little or no weapon or armour proficiency; ideally one from a magical bloodline with Charisma-based spellcasting.

Then just be a Wild Magic Sorcerer.

Or a Warlock built feebly with little or no weapon and armour proficiency

cool.

anything for 3e 3.5e?
(I didn't want to start a new general just for that.)

Yeah I'd say do wild magic sorc.
Being unable to control your magic well fits in line with the being new to your powers bit, and as wild magic sorcs increase in power they can better control their surges.

The worst are people who A) have complicated classes that can do involved things, and B) do not think about what they want to do or the specifics of that until their turn arrives
>my turn
>I move here, attack this guy twice / use this item
>caster's turn
>hmm.. hmmmm... I guess I'll... no... what's the range on this
>hmm.. okay i'll cast this spell... what does it do? what's my DC?
>oh and for my bonus action i'll... hmmm
>i guess i'll do this this other spell... oh wait, i think the range on that is too low... let me look.........
Takes literally 3-5 minutes to resolve even before the DM has to roll anything.

It's going to be a searchable collection of adventures for all kinds of systems. The intent is for people to be able to find old adventures and modify or use sections of them in their campaigns.

Should Pact Magic style spell slots be used again if a new class is made? What would an INT or WIS based Pact style spellcaster be like?

COOL
non-D&D too?
any old resources out there I might tap?

As a DM this is how I know which of my players are shit. When I know what their to-hit and spell DCs are better than they do.

I like the Terry Pratchet model, where Witches are more like Bards, really, with most of their power and usefulness coming from their sheer presence and reputation, but with their fucking disruption powers wreaking havock on even the mightiest of magical individuals, which suits well to people who can add half their proficiency to Dispel Magic and Counterspell checks

But ultimately, witches already exist in Dungeons and Dragons, they are called Hags.

That works better in a high-magic campaign where it actually makes sense.

In a medium-magic campiagn where you won't find mundane tasks replaced by magic, I'd rather do something more along the lines of 'magic items have downsides'.

Fun, and they make people actually think about when they want to use them.

It's also good to make an item have a very general purpose, so that it doesn't just clog up the inventory for that one single time you really need an instant-summon cabbage.

Say, an item that digs out a cylinder deep into the ground below it and reinforces the sides to form a sort of magical instant well for a bit. It could be used for water, hiding in, to trap an enemy...
But it doesn't last forever, and it'll collapse after perhaps an hour, and you can't spam wells all day long.

Or, a ring of cold resistance that burns all your body fat and makes you really, really hungry when you wear it and if you get hit by cold magics. You can't wear it all the time or if you're low on food or for a really, really prolonged fight in the cold, but otherwise it works wonders.

So instate a 1~ minute turn timer, or stop playing with dumb people

A new way to value Intelligence would be nice.
It takes an above average DM to make non wizard Intelligence be worth shit

This.

Honestly though, I just think bards as powerful as they are in their current state should have an INT dependence. Which, I believe, makes sense considering they're all about recording history through songs, and passing on knowledge of various things, etc. etc.

I've also thought about switching warlocks to being Int casters regardless of what their patron is.

Most of their fluff comes from signing contracts to earn forbidden knowledge and such. Being able to comprehend and use such knowledge should require intelligence.

I always figured the arcane secrets they learned were shortcuts. Really simple things that their patron gives them. Charisma is to determine how good they are at convincing their Patron to give them the good stuff.

It's the difference between a Wizard hacking into something and a Warlock asking nicely for the password.

You don't happen to have the flowchart for the Discworld novels do you?

It feels good being in Eberron where I can distract them with shiny things to slow their actual progression with proper rare magic items.
>They stole a headband from an old noblewoman that causes natural seeming hair to grow
>A cheap magic item shop owned by a local quack/novice enchanter has items such as +2 Chopsticks, incense and teas across an entire wall, and a barrel full of water and his failed attempts at a Flamebrand enchantment, including a couple weapons/hat that can function as candles and some that affect themselves with Heat Metal when their command word is spoken

So is it worth taking GFB or Booming Blade as a Swashbuckler through being an Elf or taking a feat?

You could use these against lower AC enemies where you know that you will likely hit, and use two weapon fighting against high AC enemies to make sure you make use of your sneak attack.

There's a homebrew somewhere of a Shaman class that uses WIS based Pact Magic. Haven't looked too closely at it.

I imagine the design space for that could combine 4e Shaman, 4e Warden, and 4e Seeker as archetypes of a spirit manipulating class, where the archetypes use spirits to distinctly assist them, empower their bodies or infuse their weapons respectively.

BB on swashbuckler is cancer and you should feel bad if you do it

I have one
do you have a website with 3.5e modules I could look at?

Aka the warlock, yes even a bladelock

Why exactly? It has a nice synnergy with the taunt skill and their free disengage against enemies they attack. Or are you saying that using good strategies is cancer?

I know how potion brewing works. I'm aiming to make a separate class that can focus on it, rather than trying to slap it onto a Wizard.

My plan was to allow an Artificer to make a certain number of free potions per day, mainly just basic healing ones alongside Alchemist's Fire and Acid, sort of in place of spells. Alongside that would be things to create more temporary magical weapons for their use or the use of party members.

My question was how heavily I should divide them, like how much potion making should a weapon artificer be using.

In my mind it takes a long time to become a wizard, which is why most human wizards should be older in their years.
Where as a warlock could be a younger human by comparison. Gaining their powers quickly but still needing to be intelligent enough to understand.

Pretty sure he's just a salty DM.

There are plenty of 3.5 books in the share thread troves.

I wanna make a bugbear assasian with booming blade for a total of (4d8+22d6)x2
More if magic weapons are involved or i get some sweet sweet buffs.

>assasian
sounds hot

I never know what books to look into

That's the thing though. A Warlock is skipping the fundamentals. For a Wizard to learn how to cast a Fireball, he has to know all of the formulas, materials, and methodology of what goes into one. He understands fully why the Fireball works.

A Warlock doesn't do all that. He's shown the shortcuts for the hand symbols to make and the words,to say, but he probably doesn't comprehend why that makes a Fireball, except on the most basic level.

A Warlock isn't steeped in understanding like a Wizard is.

How would you goodfellas run a city campaign?
Any tips, tricks and suggestions?

Look up Vornheim the Complete City Kit.

Oh don't get me wrong, I perfectly understand your argument.
I'm just saying it's not so far fetched to have an int based warlock in my mind either.
Int is also tied to memory. You can memorize the hand waves, the words, etc. without needing to know why they work and use int for that purpose.

Int, as is, is the go to dump stat.

>Look up Vornheim the Complete City Kit.
I second this, also, its on the /osr/ trove, go check it

Circle of Moon or Circle of the Shepard?

I can't figure out which. What seems nicer from a flavour and out of combat standpoint? My DM wants roleplay more than combat. Both seem to have options for that, but not being able to talk as an animal kind of sucks.

Yeah but on that reasoning int should be required for every class. You need to train, study and memorise all kinds of things no matter which class you are.

If you need to sit down and write formulas and notes for your magic in my mind you're a wizard, even if a fiend was the one who taught you how to cast.

If a Tabaxi uses its feline agility skill while dashing do you have 90 or 120 speed?

The thing is, making another Int based class won't make Int less of a dump stat. It's a dump stat because it doesn't influence anything unless you have a class feature for it, which most people don't. Other ability scores do other things or have more skills/saves that are useful.

I like the suggestion I've seen where higher Int can give you extra languages and tool proficiencies, and higher strength can give you some extra movement speed.

You don't have to write it down as a warlock because you learn a generally small amount of spells overall.

A wizard on the other hand, keeps a book, because they need to know and continually practice their fuck-huge number of spells they know.

Being that warlock and wizard are both arcane casters int seems fine. Sure as a fighter you need to remember how to swing your sword, but those are very basic movements and are tied to their muscle memory far more easily than a complex hand gesture.

But if you'd like, I wouldn't honestly be opposed to making int have some degree of importance for every class. Like I said, it's just such a complete dump stat you wind up with bands of heroes all running around with 8 int unless they've got a wizard in their midst.