/btg/ Battletech General

Stylish Bugs Edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

MechCommander & Mechwarrior 3 pilot voices and SFX
mediafire.com/file/pehas5xyoaocfaz/2016-11-12_MechCommanderGold-Pilots-with-Instructions.rar
mediafire.com/file/wplodo9q9f1f377/2016-11-19_PC_Mechwarrior3-SFX-Vocals.rar

Other urls found in this thread:

militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=570
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_TV-8
giorgioespinos.deviantart.com/
bgb.booru.org/index.php
youtu.be/hLi7ULuqDkQ?t=81
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>stylish bugs
Plogcust is stylish.

Derp Locust is derp.

That's a Koto user. It started as a Locust, but it isn't now.

Never seen it as such; always saw the art on Sarna and/or the Japanese Locust art as the Koto.

Plog was initially tapped to redo the Solaris and IIC designs in 3055U, until they went with Chris Lewis. God knows why.

I suppose that laser under the chin is a bit large for a MLas.

So in the personnel market, under available options there are five choices for market types.

Anyone have a clue what the differences are? Should I use the basic ATB? I think a long time ago I used dylan's method but I can't recall the reason.

Dylan's method actually generates personnel every month, rather than spitting out one or two guys every six months and asking what the problem is.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Also for unit rating, should I use campaign ops or FM mercenaries revised? I believe I used Int Ops before but that option is gone.

Cockpit view of a Wasp.

/m/ fag here

What is the nuclear Schiltron?

A tank that mounts nukes, basically. The Schiltron is a tank that can mount the Arrow IV artillery launcher. AIV has an alternate ammo that is a Davy Crockett nuclear payload. Put 2 and 2 together and you get the nuclear Schiltron.

Take anything with Arrow IV and load it with Davey Crockett warheads.

>Arrow IV infantry face when

It is the bringer of Blake's Light to the tube born clanner degenerates.

Seriously, there is a screencap of a megamek game of a nuke schiltron wasting hordes of Turkina Zs.

Personally I'd use CampaignOps, since it's a little more forgiving.

I was in that thread, I remember it well. You forgot it also wasted an Orca in the same engagement.

Battle Wasp Bump

But user, Arrow IV infantry with Davy Crocketts make PERFECT sense, because the name came from the real world system used to give infantry nuclear weapons.

militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=570

That can't be real. Whichever writer came up with that sort of idiocy should be ashamed. No real faction would ever develop a weapon like that, and to assign it to a faction is the worst example of torpedoing a faction through raw fiat I've ever seen. It's utter bullshit.

Yep, reality keeps giving us wacky shit beyond the wildest dreams of factionfaggotry.

If something exists the American military will find a way to nuke it.

Even if its their own men.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_TV-8

I don't understand why these never went into full production.
What culd have possibly gone wrong?

I need pictures of mechs moving at SANIC speeds

that's not a mech, although I admit it's moving so fast it's hard to tell.

Anyone have Aerotech 2 revised edition? Can't find it in the links.

Goddamn Veeky Forums ate my post. It was supposed to be accompanied by
>Ice Hellion detected

>Stylish Bugs

My $0.02.

>Them ear missiles.

That looks a lot closer to the Tomahawk.

>missiles
user, those are beer cans.

Ear beer cans, then.

I can do one with different text for the Spirit Cats on request. This was fun to do; I shooped the rock face from scratch. Learning new tricks every time.

I tried to find where this came from in case there were other stylish bugs to be had and I guess I used the wrong search engine. The last pic it suggested made me laugh.

Did you draw that? If so, pretty darn good.

I wish someone had just the lineart; I don't care for the coloring on it.

Nah, I just shooped it. The artist's name is Dan Dos Santos if you're interested.

>Nah, I just shooped it. The artist's name is Dan Dos Santos if you're interested.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the heads up.
>I wish someone had just the lineart; I don't care for the coloring on it.
I just want to see more. That's a pretty neat take on the old Stinger. Makes it look almost bad ass.

My google-fu comes in handy.

giorgioespinos.deviantart.com/

It only gets worse without color. Itty bitty head, exposed joints, massive weapons... Oh and Batman's face just under the cockpit glass.

>giorgioespinos.deviantart.com/
I actually like a lot of his stuff. Prefer the lineart though; he's not the best colorist.

I don't know. I like the upper torso area to be sure. The laser seems about decent compared the old Macross art the mech came from. It's not perfect, but it's got some points to it.

The laser is just a big dildo with a lens though. Sure it's being carried, but at the end of the day, it feels off. Plus the torso seems too small to have the pilot, engine and gyro.

Not the only 'Mech to suffer from that issue.

>Plus the torso seems too small to have the pilot, engine and gyro.
Comparing it to the aircract-turned-mech of the old Valkyries, I don't know what the best proportion for a 20 ton bug would be.

>reading down, then across

what the fuck is this buggery?

that was a good thread

They're close proportions I guess.

>Know exactly what book cover that was taken off of

This makes me laugh.

It's probably his weakest one, yes. His Hussar and Kintaro are pretty sweet and his Urbanmech is kind of cute, but I think it got a lot of magic internal space.

I can change the text if you prefer. How would you rather have it? I was also considering staring lower left and having the text diagonally ascend, indexed to the left, maybe indented slightly for each subsequent line.

The perils of plucking images from the net based on their looks, not their source, I suppose. No clue where it comes from; I was looking for a "tribal"-looking hot chick in modern clothes and found that.

Maybe you'll prefer this version. I think I like it better anyway.

>DFA

More like a totally sick Dropkick

>It only gets worse without color.

Honestly, this applies to most BT designs in general. All the lines and panels and shit makes them busy as hell in B&W art, and tends to look better in color art or in miniature form.

Hah. Kind of reminds me of my mishaps of googling "CBT" when it was the common acronym used for "Classic Battletech"

S-senpai...

First time faring into Clan
I want to make a single squad (a Star, right, could I do a lance too?)
So far I'm liking the Jade Falcons
I tend to favor the Vulture, Summoner, Masakari, and most of the Unseen IIC
What would you suggest as a mech selection?

If you like the Falcons, safe bets are the Summoner, Hellbringer, and Kit Fox. Also consider the Turkina, Night Gyr, Fire Falcon, and Black Lanner.

If you need a quick reference regarding what they bring, if you have Total Warfare, check out the Random tables in the "Creating Scenarios" section. They at least offer some guidelines about what you might see there.

Plog has definitely gotten better about it. 3055U is kind of messy though because he added camo patterns and such as pure linework, which just turns into more mess. His 3085 stuff using tones for the camo works a lot better.

Another issue a lot of BT artists suffer from in B&W is lack of varying line weights, making the panel lines and such be thinner and lighter than the major structural bits would help in making things more readable. I think White is probably one of the better of contemporary BT artists in that regard though his tendency to add shading also helps separate the features as well, Evans being the worst with thick lines for every goddamn feature.

Praise Blake, m8!

>CNC LOA AVT NA
What does it mean?!

>That MechCommander intro cutscene

The black guy ejects first, but at least he did not die first.

Shitty meme.

Should go on a vision quest to find out for us user.

Much better, pinup user.

If I don't return, tell my bondsman "hello"

We have faith in your success.

That thing looks so derpy that it swings around to the realm of adorable. If the turret armor was angled rather than rounded, I'd say it would look like it belonged in BT for sure.

I was about to say:
The Destdroid Tomahawk and Battletech Warhammer are the same model

But no, you're totally right, the Warhammer keeps the torso Missile launchers of the Tomahawk closed, and doesn't have a weapon in that location, so that image displays a characteristic of one and not the other, good catch

Amusingly enough an image of the Wahmmy/Tomahawk with a torso launcher open does appear in one the old books I think the old Rules of Warfare.

But the only Warhammer with torso missiles like that is the Warhammer IIC 2, and it's basically the Japanese equivalent of the Shimmyseen, close but far enough to be legally unproblematic, and the art jsut represents the base config (or OG Whammy in Japan) anyway.

It's in the first Aerotech set. I made a Warhammer using clan tech a long time ago that mimics the image and it's kind of neat.

Actually not the one I was thinking of, this is. So that's at least two instances. Also brings up the more overt case of the Ostroc, which has the dual launchers of the missile Regult and in what appear to be its arms even in the TRO art, but the stats have just one in the torso.

Good catch. I forgot about that one, but have seen it before.

Battledroids came with little glossy paper strips you were supposed to cut out and glue or tape to cardboard to make standups to play with the original Unseen mechs. The ones from Macross used Yoshiyuki Takani's original artwork - although this particular view of the Tomahawk does't show the missile bays open.

Am I the only one that likes the old flip-top missile launchers seen on the Tomahawk / Warhammer, Longbow and Archer?
I always thought there was something neat and dramatic to have a mech open up and then release hell. Really cinematic.

>Am I the only one that likes the old flip-top missile launchers seen on the Tomahawk / Warhammer, Longbow and Archer?

No. At the very least, Jim Holloway and I are both squarely in your corner.

Cool. I guess I have to add the old Crusader in this as well, as the shoulder missile launchers flip up, and I guess from the Armored Valkyrie model it came from the leg boxes open up for the missiles there.

Some of the BT originals got in on that game too, the Whitworth, Centurion, Vindicator, Dervish, and Catapult all had hatches for their torso missiles in their 3025 art. Of course, some of them are small things and not all that impressive. The Whitworth's are particularly diminutive, both hatches and launcher.

Now, now, it's not the size of the launcher but the motion of the missiles.

TINY
WHIT
LAUNCHERS

Reminder that we have a booru with a shit ton of images to tag.
I've been working on it but I am but one user with precious little free time
bgb.booru.org/index.php

>I guess I have to add the old Crusader in this as well

Yes, you absolutely do!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been looking at Clan secondline mechs and have deduced three types: the Star League holdovers, IIC redevelopments of SL mechs, and Clan original battlemechs.

Is there any indication if one type is superior technically, or culturally considered more honorable, to pilot?
And are the SL-era originals upgraded with Clantech or left as factory made?

Huh, I don't have it either. Didn't know that.

Considering the ammo counts in mechs, those are the only actually realistic launchers to be seen in BT art.

What faction should I play for best 'Mechs?

Usually the real problem is that they can't transfer ammo into their weapons.

Davion gets pretty much everything because they're rich as fuck

Comstar: Star League mechs for lyfe

Republic of the Sphere

Given your choice of picture, probably the Capellans, given how firmly they're attached to the writers' cocks.

I meant to use this picture/

Should I use A Time of War or Classic Battletech for my stompy shooty needs? And any advice should I want to do that? Should everyone be in a Mech, or what?

If you're new to the game, get the BattleTech Master Rules for the boardgame.

If you mean for the RPG, MechWarrior Second Edition is the easiest to get to grips with. ATOW is terribly laid out and needless complex. MW3e (same as CBT RPG) doesn't mesh well with BT due to it using D10s.

On a related note, can I get a pro/con breakdown of the RPG systems attached to Battletech?

>MW3e (same as CBT RPG) doesn't mesh well with BT due to it using D10s.

This is such an idiotic argument. Like it's that hard to read the two-paragraphs on converting MW3e characters to work in a tabletop game of BT. Or - and bear with me here - you could just play battletech using normal rules, but instead of piloting and gunnery checks, you could pick up the 2d10 you have lying next to the gameboard INSTEAD of 2d6 and roll THOSE instead! My god, it's like discovering a whole new field of science!

It's better when it's animooted.
Also...
youtu.be/hLi7ULuqDkQ?t=81
Those missile launchers, man.

What are the most common vehicles employed by the DC during the war of 3039?