/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Last thread
What spells, subclasses, feats, or races would you like to see added to fifth edition?

Other urls found in this thread:

draconic.twilightrealm.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>spells
RAAAAAAIN OF BLOOOOOOOOOOD

>subclasses
Something -- probably rogue-based -- for inquisitors and investigators because fuck yeah, playing witch hunters and pulp detectives. Alchemists and artificers. Travel domain. A lot of it really doesn't matter too much, though, since homebrewing these is easy as sin.

>feats
Eh.

>races
Gnolls. Try again at Warforged. Try again at Aarakocra. 4E Gnomes, though Forest Gnomes come close enough I don't really care.

I always thought Githzerai/yanki were pretty cool. I'm sad they only got a shared 2 pages of lore and 4 stat blocks in the MM and no mention in Volo's, hopefully they get more attention when psionics get added.

Want to make sure my logic is sound:
I'm making a minotaur battle master fighter with the disarming strike maneuver. Horns are considered weapon attacks, so I'll gore a dude, make him drop his weapon, and use a bonus action to shove him out of the way. I use my movement to pick up the weapon, and now I can beat the dude to death with his own weapon, gore him, or focus on other enemies who are an actual threat because they still possess weapons.

Anyway, is this sound, mechanically? I don't care about my usefulness in combat, I just want to spend my efforts disarming the enemies

Kobolds

>Spells

More control-spells in general

>Subclasses

Actually happy with what we have. Don't really need homebrew, you can make anything from whats already in 5e by being creative. Would rather see more balance fixes.

>Feats

More +1 Charisma feats

>Races

Not really missing anything here

Yes.

Inquisitives are already a rogue class in the Gothic Heroes UA.

if all you're gonna do is disarm people, be assured that the GM will make it difficult for you eventually, as both him and other players will find your tactic boring over time. No one likes a one trick pony. That said, mechanically it sounds like it could work. In real life you would probably fail regularly at goring someone, so you wouldn't really get to disarm them very often, and this is probably what the GM will put to use. You'd also probably encounter enemies who could stand to be gored and not lose their weapon for it - due to sheer mass or magic - or enemies who pick up their weapons again if you discard them, after healing up a bit for example.

I'm sad /5eg/. Forever DM who loves 5e. All my players either love Pathfinder or just are anti-5e.

I can't win. I just can't.

Find players with better taste.

That's fine, it's only one of three maneuvers I'll have, and even just spamming that will make me more interesting than 90% of the fighters I've seen played. and yeah eventually we could get to enemies who have legendary resistance and could just auto save i guess.

Get better taste.

I'm anxious when meeting new people though.

5e needs Sticks to Snakes, its the worst best spell.

>"5e doesn't have kitsune so it's shit"
I can see it now

>5e adds catfolk
>make them immediately more interesting than nekomimi weeaboo bait in all areas
5e's designers are based af.

Way of the Drunken Fist for monks

just more feats in general
i feel like i have next to no options and i cant really personalize my character with only 20 options of which only like 5 or so are even viable for a particular build
also more official magic items

What classes can be used for a modern game?

The ones you want to play.

Check the 3rd Party folder in the MEGA, there's an entire book titled 5e Ultramodern.

Why can't I play as a non shapeshifting druid? I don't want to be a furry.

it all works, it'll just be boring, and your gm and your players will find you annoying

after the first time you do this, every enemy will be carrying multiple weapons, you'll fight more spellcasters, and more enemies with innate weapons

your the gm, you decide what you play

if your players don't want to play 5e they can find another group or gm themselves. but they won't, as they are leeches

play a non moon druid then? wildshape isn't as big for them

you're kind of saying "why can't I play a Wizard that doesn't cast spells? I don't want to be a nerd" right now

>races
I need my Githyanki/zerai and Shardmind
>Spells
As much as everybody seems to dislike Forgotten Realms, there are a lot of spells that the 4e Spellscarred class (it was a weird full 1-30 class that you could only access through the multiclassing feats) got that would be fucking radical if they could be converted to 5e.

You're not required to use wildshape, m8.
Play a Land druid, they don't get any features that rely on it.

There's nothing furry about being a moon druid unless youre going out of your way to fuck or get pregnant by other animals like the degenarates asking if it was possible on sageadvice.

Thanks man, how's the balance of those classes?
Also are those compatible for a modern setting or near modern or futuristic?

They're intended for Modern and Futuristic settings, but a good majority of them are compatible with near-modern historical type settings.

The balance is there maybe even a little on the underpowered side compared to traditional classes, but if you also use the life-path system from that book that switches to slightly above average compared to traditional classes.

What happens when a creature who is grappling another creature is hit by a Dissonant Whispers spell? Does the grapple end, or does the target drag the grappled creature along?

This something that comes up frequently during our games, and we haven't really come up with a definitive satisfactory solution.

Wait where?

Volo's Guide to Monsters, tabaxi race.

it seems pretty obvious that the target of dissonant whisper would just give up her grapple, but maybe i'm missing something

How do I come up with a name for my lizardfolk?

If I have PAM and am weilding a quarterstaff in one hand, can I still bonus action attack with it?

Halberd wielding PAM pally, my tankiness is real bad due to 16 AC. The fucking shadow monk has higher ac than me because loldex. Got the money for Splint but I've yet to be able to purchase it.

Sometimes it may be nice to quarterstaff+shield. Def a big decrease in damage but +2 ac would have actually saved me from two hits last session

This + draconic.twilightrealm.com/

So... I want my character to be a fortune teller but I'm not sure which class is the best for her...

Divination Wizard fit but it doesn't have augury or divination spell (for some weird reason)

Cleric (worship god of luck or fortune) could also fit. But dat Portent though...

Uhh wizard has a bunch of divinations? Scrying foresight etc?

Maybe multi-class div wizard and knowledge cleric?

Thanks for the help.

I'm sad. I love 4e, and am super bored with 5e. My players won't switch back though.

Are you 4e user? Pls leave

niceme.me

What if you hit an obstruction? Is it instant death?

RACE
Tabaxi - 30 feet, x2 (Feline Agility)

CLASS LEVELS
Monk 13 - +20ft, bonus action dash (Step of the Wind)
Barbarian 5 - +10ft
Elk Totem - +15ft (while raging)
Fighter 2 - extra dash action (Action Surge)

SPELLS
Longstrider - +10ft
Haste - x2, extra dash action
Dissonant Whispers - Move your speed as a reaction on a failed save

EQUIPMENT
Boots of Speed - x2
Artifact with the right Major Beneficial Property - +10ft speed

BOONS
Boon of Speed - +30ft

FEATS
Mobile - +10ft

CLASS FEATURES
Balm of the Summer Court - +50ft
Transmuter's Stone - +10ft

Here's the build-up and sprint. Note that any non-bonus-actions can be done off-turn via Ready.

Round 1: Wizard casts Longstrider on you. Druid uses Balm of the Summer court on you. You active your Boots of Speed, as the last thing in the round. Your speed is 30 (race) + 20 (monk) + 10 (barb) + 10 (mobile) + 50 (balm) + 10 (transmuter) + 10 (Longstrider) + 30 (boon) + 10 (artifact) = 180, 180 x 2 (boots) = 360 feet.

Round 2: You rage. Wizard casts Haste on you. Your speed is 360 + 15 (rage) = 375, 375 x 2 (haste) = 750 feet.

Within the next 8 rounds, you have a bard cast Dissonant Whispers on you each turn. The bard readies the spell and casts it on you after you use Feline Agility. On each of your turns, you activate Feline Agility and don't move. If and when you fail the save, you use your reaction to move up to your speed. You then action dash, Haste action dash, Action Surge dash, and bonus action dash (Step of the Wind), allowing you to move 6 times your speed on your turn total. Your speed is 750 x 2 (feline agility) = 1500 feet. You move 1500 x 6 = 9000 feet in that turn.

9000 feet in 6 seconds = 1500 feet per second, or ~1022.7 miles per hour.

I have a devil walking around 'disguised' as a tiefling, and I just realized that he wouldn't know how to do things in the mortal world. In fact, he's probably forgotten that mortals need to sleep.
I'd like to drop some hints to my players that he's not who he looks like. Got any tips?
>Forgot to rent a room
>He has only basic money
>Not carrying any food on his person
>No bedroll
>Doesn't know the year
things like that.

What if you hit an obstruction? Is it instant death?

You turn on a dime while going over a thousand miles per hour, just like you stop instantaneously.
Just what the fuck are tabaxi made of?

Aztec Blood and Khajiit memes.

Mostly mortal flesh and very suspectible to extreme force.

You outrun death itself.

Not with that speed you're not.

"Divination" as in the spell called "Divination".

"On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you"

"A grappled creature's speed becomes 0,and it can't benefit from any bonus to its speed."

The creature's speed is 0, ergo the maximum its speed allows it to move is 0. You could make a contextual argument that if the person being whispered is the grappler and not the grapplee they may let go, but rules-as-written they simply don't move either way.

I bet a minotaur would like a one trick pony

>it seems pretty obvious
From a descriptive perspective, yeah, I guess. But as a DM I try to stick mostly to what is in the rules, en Dissonant Whispers doesn;t actually impose any condition that ends a grapple.

Now if the caster is the one being grappled, sure, he is released because the target is trying to get away from the grapplee, but if the target is grappling someone else, couldn't it try to get away from the caster while still holding on the the grapllee?

Is it furry if the Druid stays in human form for the animal fucking?

How many sorcery points should a sorcerer have if I'm changing the class to not use spell slots?

Now I'm curious. A male druid shapeshifts into a female rabbit, gets pregnant, then shapeshifts back.

Has the druid aborted the baby rabbits?

look in the DMG for spell points

It's magic. The most logical solution would be to prevent the druid from shifting back.
If any of my players attempt something like that, the gods will descent from the heavens and smite the whole party.

I think it actually breaks the sound barrier.

Goddamnit, you triggered my autism.
I'd rule that only natural shapeshifters like dragons have the ability to maintain functioning sex organs between shapes- and only if they shift into a creature of the same sex that is capable of genetic mixing, like human/dragon. I'd even go so far as to say that a pregnant creature would hold its form if impregnated.
You fucking people. This is why one of my setting's deities actually handles rulings like this on the side.

Shapeshifts back into a woman.

I think I'd just rule that you are infertile while shapeshifted.

Better question: Druid shapeshifts into a starfish, engages in asexual reproduction. Do you get 2 druids at the end?

Thanks. Would it actually break anything if a spell point user was able to cast as many 6th plus level spells as their points allowed?

Why do people hate homebrews so much?

People don't, grognards do.

5e is built to encourage homebrew, but the standard grog answer is to not do it.

today I realised I have never played a campaign where any of the other players picked anything other than a human or half-elf for their race.

>variant human solely for the feat
>half-elf with whatever flavour (now available with SCAG bonuses!)
>humans are always gruffmcbuff who live for either ale or whiskey
>half-elves are always just older humans who are better at everything, wiser and prettier

It wasn't a big deal the first campaign, but this has been the case in every group I've played with. What do?

Realize that 5e is fundamentally imbalanced on several levels, then take steps to fix it by either switching or homebrewing.

My games of 5e are literally everyone picks a magic human.

homebrew races, spells and abilities are usually unbalanced as fuck. homebrew settings can be awful or great depending on the GM, but it usually has a taint of their personal fantasies.

Homebrews are notorious for being busted or stupid because they historically aren't made by people with balance in mind. So people don't trust them.
Which is sort of odd given stuff like

I dunno, myself.
Somebody mentioned making the Sorc operate off just their Sorcery points + spell points (as one giant combined pool).
If you do that you could make like metamagics or class features that permit extra casts of 6th level spells (at extra cost) and it could work out?

I think some of the players would throw a hissy fit if their go-to race was changed. Any workaround while still using 5e? Think it would be possible to let players pick racial stats and racial flavour independent of eachother? Does anyone do this?

If I were to do that, I would use cultures.
The issue is that the 'magic' cultures would probably become the go-tos instead.
I've heard that limiting the only magic class to Warlocks balances out games on a 'put magic on a leash' level pretty decently, but I haven't got the experience to check it.

>spells
More Smite spells that scale with spell level, only cuz I like pallys, or melee spells because I like melee mages
>subclasses
Idunno, maybe an official Undying Light pact for warlock, or something interesting for cleric akin to 4e's Avenger
>feats
Definitely a one-handed version of GWM, because the lack of a power attack feat keeps making me avoid using sword and board builds
>races
Shadar-kai, or maybe a not-shit eladrin.

Is it bad that I enjoy Pact of the Blade?

Creating a new concept in a preconceived system pretty much only works if you follow the loose guidelines already presented and introduce new ideas that are similar to/in tandem with already existing assets. The homebrews that are usually bagged on are the ones that are needlessly complicated, usually by introducing new mechanics that are full of useless text, unnecessary flavour or are just plain obnoxious and exploitable by nature. Using homebrew to make something that makes the game more enjoyable, such as new class archetypes or a more consistent ruling is fine. Creating a new class, while bold and potentially healthy for the game, most often devolves into an avalanche of text and an inordinate sense of favouritism by the creator simply because they want to fit in all of their ideas. It's such a fine line, and because many homebrews are the latter rather than the former it's easy to dismiss them on sight.

>Is it bad that I enjoy Pact of the Blade?
No.

Sonic go back to sleep

Oh, good. I keep seeing PotB is the "bad" warlock option, but I love spellsword types

What the fuuuuuuuuccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk?
Are you okay? Does your handler know you've been let loose?

Really hoping Wizards would put out guidelines for how to create your own classes/archetypes, like how Paizo attempted to.

How would one build a Sherlock Holmes style investigative character. I Knowledge Cleric is pretty good but I don't like the idea of a Divine P.I. I feel like rogue with maybe a bit of multiclass (or divination focused arcane trickster) would be good but I don't know

>sword and board
I think the watchman background in SCAG even has a variant named investigator. Could be of use to you.

Goo warlock, with the speak with dead invocation. Fluff speak with dead as looking for clues on a corpse. Multiclass bard or rogue for skill monkey features.

The Inquisitive subclass for a rogue would be the most direct match, but you could use literally anyone trained in Investigation. Really.

Investigator, oh wait, 5e doesn't have that.

In lieu of any actual rules for brewing potions beyond herbalism kits allowing you to craft lesser healing potions and still not mentioning how, my DM is letting me roll a d20 plus my proficiency times three (for Nature, Survival, and Herbalism kit) and using the result to see how long it takes to scrounge the materials up from the forest and shit and brew a potion.

Besides healing, which is always useful, what are some other low-level potions that could conceivably be made from shit just lyin' around the nature-y places? Or not even potions, but other herby things. Also, I'm just a Monk, so no fancy wizardy book-learning.

More buff spells for sorcerers please, and I certainly wouldn't mind more gish subclass options.

My 10 charisma, great sword wielding, non-multiclassed Favoured Soul Sorcerer Gish needs more spells to hit and melee damage boosting spells.
Somehow I'm the utility caster too, how the fuck that happened I'll never know.

Potion of Animal Friendship, Climbing, Fire Breath, Giant Strength (the weaker ones), Heroism, Poison, Resistance, Speed, Vitality and Water Breathing.
Those would be my picks.

I should really familarise myself with SCAG more 'cause there's some lovely options for nice flavour like that background, I dig it.

And expanding on that with a warlock is actually very interesting, turning to a darker higher power to gain further skills nescessary to catch a nemesis perhaps, but they keep it secret because they're meant to be more on the straight and narrow. Charisma is also a valuable skill to have as a detective

The only potions listed as "common" magic items are Potions of Healing and Potions of Climbing. I usually rule that you can craft those using the same rules for crafting mundane items. Anything rarer than that I'd say is covered by the rules for crafting magic items.

>Your DM lets you add your proficiency bonus multiple times to a single roll if you can convince him that more than one skill or tool proficiency applies
Wow, what a pushover. Does he let you add Nature to attack rolls you make in the woods?

Goddamn, give me spellswords/swordmages that can actually cast and attack in the same round.

Eldritch Knight? Level 14 Valor Bard? Any Wizard with Haste?

it depends.
if the grapplee is small size, and the grappler is stronger, perhaps he could lift and carry the grapplee, but otherwise, it would hamper their movement to carry a creature, and would conflict with the "as far as movement allows" part

You don't understand. Other user wants to play a character with all the strengths of a fighter and a wizard and none of the weaknesses of either. He also wants two players' worth of actions every round.

>d20+Prof*3 = 22
>it took a whole week to make one normal healing potion
It's not like he's letting me pull a gallon of healing juice out of my ass because I scooped some twigs and berries off the ground one afternoon.

At a lower level would be best.

Limited spells and through their weapons would be a good starting point, you nofunallowed grumpy fucker.

Not Other user, but personally I kinda half-agree, but my personal "fantasy" for swordmages is something like magus from PF, or a more spell-oriented Paladin, where the character uses magic to augment their martial ability, or infuse their weapons with magic