Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Rainy Mornings Edition
Let's focus on your dudes instead of BL Sub-Edition
Tonks were posted and discussion on Falchions was made, dire geese have no place in the Church of Spiidesh, one user has a dread problem, and please ignore any Laurie related posts. See it all in the last thread >HHG
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8
Official HH 7th Edition Errata (Updated January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf
>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Oct 16 White Dwarf
mediafire.com/file/zm71nli980zr97h/WhiteDwarf_Oct16.pdf

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>Other new links
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww98.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fe6VFn2St%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww116.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2Fd2D2z8mF%2Ffile.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww110.zippyshare.com%2Fv%2F1USI8Urn%2Ffile.html
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!LoBA0bqS
www98.zippyshare.com/v/e6VFn2St/file.html

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/5fjdp5/horus_heresy_weekender_2017_future_releases_for/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Show me Recon Squads!

How do you counter a guy who brings a falchion and 4 castellax allies at 2500?

i think you ought to describe their list a bit better.

Uh, iron hands, rhinos, sicaran, falchion, 4 castellax. Forgot the rest

>Book 45 Ruinstorm by David Annandale. This book will end the Imperium Secundus arc and is about Guilliman, Sanguinius, and Lion El'Jonson all trying to get to Terra.
Thank fuck. It's about time they got on with that storyline. Horus is approaching the solar system, the alpha legion are there, and we still have three primarchs (including papa sang, who has to get to terra somehow) dicking about on macragge.

Does somebody have a blank army list entry page from the hh books? We want to make legit looking entries for our campaign characters

i should have asked you what legion you were running
i;ll generalize it less if you tell my your list to give you a bit of a hand.

in general.
everything but the falchion should go down pretty easy here if you have the right tools.
most of what is effective against the ironhands should be effective against a castellax just slightly less.
if you have a seige breaker running phoserex should help take the load off of your other guns if you think you can squeeze it in. the major point is having preset wound modifiers like marksman vets is super fucking effective
Alternatively you could just drown them in plasmsa fire or vulkite/autocannon spam.
or drop a medusa/scorpius/baslisk template on them and abuse nucriovoxes.
or you could drown them bezerks
or missile launchers.
just remember that's 420 points base he's running with those faggots and they have to have a battlesmith cortex controller in there (it's iron hands i'd be very surprised if they didn't).
so high strength weapons for ID might be the way to go.

>twin volcano baneblade.
D off
or suicide At in it's rear if you have justarians or any other telitermies.
or outflanking melta vets with tankbuster
or lascannon havocs/support squads with siege breaker
or graviton guns for that SWEET SWEET haywire.
it's just how it goes

>phosphex
if you're running medusas regular shells are better literally every time

>if you're running medusas regular shells are better literally every time
i was talking about thud guns.
i would almost never suggest medusa-phosphex
it's the worst chemical weapons

Use Paint

I have literally no idea how to do that. Can i bother the drawthread with that?

reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/5fjdp5/horus_heresy_weekender_2017_future_releases_for/

That's a stupid concept of an incendiary knife. It achieves overkill and gets you disarmed, not to mention it's way too visible, so it's useless for stealth.
Now, fleshbane knives on the other hand...

Sure you may, but I'm pagliacci so I honestly hope you find someone because I'm not doing that today.

Overkill was the purpose of it I imagine.

>Not wanting to stab a guy at 4000 degrees
Plus, you could take multiple knives.

>Let's focus on your dudes
fuck yeah lets focus on my dudes, even though i should be writing an essay and 2 extra credit assignments
Iron hands, with a legio cybernetica allied detachment for when games get big(only above 3k)
assigned to guard a forge world, were still there when istvaan happened, came under attack by Night Lords and Sons of Horus, were eventually boxed into the central manufactorum, the Archmagos convinced Praetor that a retreat was necessary to preserve the research done and prevent it from falling into the wrong hands, the majority of the force made it back to the strike cruiser, except for a small detachment led by the 2nd in command, who refused to retreat, and stayed behind to draw the traitors in, then overload the main reactor, go out in a blaze of glory and plasma fire.
strike cruiser escapes after a fierce naval battle, fighting off repeated boarding actions and eventually crippling the night lord vessel, before fucking off and trying to find someone thats not actively trying to end their lives

I've always seen individual weapon tweaking as stuff peace time people trouble themselves with. People in the trenches made clubs out of table legs and marines in the heresy made armour out of scrap. Both worked good enough.

As for the knives, as long as it cuts and can stab you don't need much more out of it, and I don't want to turn people nearby into fire hazzards, because I don't want to get burned and lose my weapon, all of that on a "successful" kill. And "stab and kick away" weapons are dumb as hell.

Good thing this is 30k and have cases were overkill is needed, like Castellax or vehicles.

Thermite blade, melta handle. Stab it, run the hell away and think about how resorting to melee was dumb and make a note to requisition a missile launcher the next day.

Who would be the favorite 2hu of your favorite primarch?

Could see some relevance in shipboard/bunker assaults, where you don't want to use high-yield weapons for fear of collapsing the entire area.

Mind, he's basically just describing a lascutter. Which already have rules and models, though people never used them when they could just spam meltabombs.

What, user?

>before fucking off and trying to find someone thats not actively trying to end their lives
I hope they know what to look for.

Even though the imperium secundus story arc might end, the shitstorm it left behind will forever stain the HH novel series.

I do have a morbid curiosity about what deus ex machine they're gonna pull out of their warphole this time to explain how the BA got to Terra in time, but the UM and DA didn't

The Lion has a daemon that lets him fly anywhere he wants.
They'll probably just use that.

Two issues with that :
-the DA haven't told anybody they have that weird warp thingy
-that still doesn't explain why the DA won't follow the BA to terra, considering how important loyalty and the Emperor are to the Lion

I don't think it works that way. "Contrary to the normal rules for such units" probably means Cybernetica Cortex can't usually Sweep unsupervised and now they can, but Thanatars are still Lumbering Advance, clearly meant to slow them down since Monstrous creatures have Relentless by default

I think the Lion's now going to see how Caliban's holding up last time I checked.

Ravons Talons should really be a swap for normal claws. Scythes and Spears are for example. I get that the Talons can be swapped for ANY LC, not just characters. But The only thing that gets squad-wide LCs(Other than Furies) are termis. Who wants to pay 25 points for a pair of talons when a single fist for 5 is better. Just adds up to too much. The only time Talons are good is when theyre basically free on Furies.

>What's the sexiest upgrade or bit of wargear you Legionfags feel you can take?
>For my Mechanicum Taghmata it has to be a toss-up between Machinator Arrays for 25 pts (+2 to battlesmith, +1T, an Inferno pistol and a flamer, one of which can be fired as well as other weapons), which also lets me use said 3+ battlesmith on my robots and cast a cybertheurgy power in the same shooting phase, or the Archmagos Archimandrite (+1 reserves and all vehicles get IWND, 35 pts)

Well it has to be chainaxes for free :^)

Quad Mortars should be a 0-1 choice like Legion Artillery and probably Heavy Support.

fuck you

0-1 Elites.
0-2 tops
The fluff states massed fire is the preferred counter to Mastodons, doesn't it? :^)

What went right?

>Field Artillery
>Artillery
>Not Heavy Support
Never understood this.

plastic mk3 armour

who cares about the rest

and tyrants are heavy support don't question it
more accurately i'd say it would make other more artilery lists too cramped and gives some damn breathing room for shooty players
seriously i'd have taken NO elites were it not for them
and my heavy support is cluttered without the rapier batteries cluttering up my four HS slots

Just move Mortars to heavy support. Then it actually has to compete with the other artillery and heavy hitting shooty units.

What generic SM units are good against NL/RG deepstrike spams and IW/IH tank spams?

My store's regulars field those as their go to lists

Didn't user already posted they were Elites?

apothcaries for augry scanners on heavy support (or iron havok) squads vs DS

DS melta squads vs heavy tanks

A bazillian Rapiers :^)
What legion?

they are?
fuck that's good

>Militia quad mortars are Heavy
>wish they were Elite like with SA, since my Heavy slots are full yet have barely anything of worth in Elite

It's like playing IG all over again...

one without rules yet

So MoM has webway being super important everything yeah? So why was it still not mentioned that Russ was supposed to bring Magnus back?

If Russ had brought Magnus back to Terra literally everything else would have been fine. Magnus could have sat on the throne and Emperor could have saved the webway project.

Does anyone actually use Arlatax automata? The rules look badass, it's like if Domitars were actually good, but I never see them in lists.

Noone even uses the free PoM and Rage one you get from having Scoria.
Is it having to convert one that throws people off? I was planning on making a Homunculex, can't think of an idea. Maybe a Talos, or something upgraded with Admech parts?

In universe: no one's got time to whine about shit from years ago
out of universe: ADB doesn't want to touch the BL fuck up that is Magnus' warning any more than he has to.

>Either a furry or a nerd
either way a degenarate
just joking, TS are alright

It is pointless to speculate about things Inferno will answer. Be patient.

Well most people aren't going to believe it untill it's in an official FAQ.

"So I read on the internet that this one guy heard from another guy that FW replied to his private email that rule X should be Y" doesn't come across as that legit. Speciallly when there are people using that to claim that stomp attacks use large blasts and are Str D ap 1

i can only hope it's true.
1. unit havocs
1. units tyrant termies
4 slots
half my slots right there.

So you must use 2 HS and 1 Elites choice to protect a valuable target from a threat that may or may not come? Yet another argument on why mobile legions or centerless ones (like WS and AL) are on the right track

Its just kind of annoying reading though and being constantly hit with MAGNUS FUCKED UP REMEMBER every other chapter.

Well yeah and he wanted to make up for that. Theres 9000 dead TS, and a working SW fleet to show that. So why cant I get a proper answer from the guy that should care the most?

But I wanna no now.

It's not as bad as VULKAN LIVES every other sentence in Salamander books.

Sup /HHG/
i want to write a good competitive list using the Hammerfall Strike Force. what lists would you recommend?

It was fuck up after fuck up, you know? I'm not hating, I honestly feel bad for them, the whole legion, mainly because their suffering was caused almost entirely by Magnus.

>Promote the use of witchery to such an extent it causes his and everyone else 's legions to lose the right of using regular librarians. Even if it was indeed already planned, he gave the Emperor the perfect excuse
>Disobey the Emperor on said prohibition
>Use forbidden powers to illegally trespass a secure location, webway project or not, to rely an illegally obtained (yet correct) vision of Horus' treachery with the whole evidence being "Because I the witchking say so".
>Ends up breaking something literally worth more than himself and all his brothers.
>I better take my punishment like a good boy and deactivate the defenses.
>T'was_a_jest.remembrancer, half-assed capitulation achieves nothing.
>Tzeentch betrays him as expected
>Still joins Horus and Lorgar

Ever since he saw the vision of heresy he couldn't win, for his options were: say nothing and get fucked, warn Terra through the usual channels and let his message be lost or warped, rush to Terra himself and his legion and get fucked in transit, or use sorcery to call and warrant himself a fuck over on Terra's part.

All in all, it was indeed impossible for Magnus to NOT fuck up. Not like he needed too much external intervention, however.

Its called a tragedy. Magnus was accursed by both sides despite his noble aims and goals. But thats 40k. His hubris lead him to a crossroads with both paths leading to damnation. If it hadnt been Russ sent to get him then perhaps... but it was so here we are.

I also think that, of all the primarchs, the Emperor should at least have told Magnus what he was going to work on after Ullanor. For a start because Magnus had also discovered the webway so would have understood, but mainly because Magnus might have been the only person capable of fucking it up. It's not like Mortarion would have been bussy breaking into the imperial webway

>but mainly because Magnus might have been the only person capable of fucking it up.
According to MoM he was the only one.

All the more reason to tell him "Magnus, there are a lot of things you can fuck up, but of all there is to fuck up, but do not fuck with this one particular thing. Now go forth and fuck shit up"

But that might just make Magnus want to help, and he might do more damage that way.

If you want a consolation prize with MoM talking up the Custodes so hard the TS still fucked them up hard at Prospero in ATS.

How do Chem-Munition flamers do against heavy infantry?

Heavy infantry? Like 2+? Then its a lot of AP2 or a fucktonne(TM) of regular wounds. Shredding flamers do fall into the second. Especially on Marksmen Vets where its a bit of both.

And imagine the morale damage it'd inflict from watching one of your comrades burn to death from the inside. If you get that blade anywhere inside the torso cavity that person is guaranteed to die.

Each hit causes 0.125 unsaves wounds against TEQ. A squad of 10 scoring 3 hits each could deal 3.75 unsaved wounds on TEQ, while suffering 0.5 unsaved wounds from Gets Hot! Charge in after firing, equipped with CCWs (and power axe on sergeant) and you'll deal 1.8 unsaved wounds more. 2.33 if you got rad grenades.

Assuming they got cataphractii.

Is that a volkite pistol being shot by that IW? It looks nothing like how I thought it would.

I have proxied several to run in my IH lists. They can slaughter marines since they're I4, dish out ok shooting, and can get rampage. I've been pleased, but mostly waiting on a model to add any permanently.

Plasma Support or Kheres Mortis for fire support role? Who's gonna fuck more shit up for ~200 points?

>Promote the use of witchery to such an extent it causes his and everyone else 's legions to lose the right of using regular librarians.
Slander. Are you Mortarion? Nikaea as written by BL is a chaos clusterfuck barely worth mentioning. Magnus was in the right the librarian program was necessary as shown by...

>Disobey the Emperor on said prohibition
Most legions doing this. Before the end of the Heresy the DA, UM, BA, IF, WS, WE, WB, SW and yes the TS disobey Nikaea. Sadly there wasnt enough SW left after Prospero to deal with them I guess so I guess that let that slide?

>Ends up breaking something literally worth more than himself and all his brothers.
This was something he couldnt know about, but should have, and he did this to warn about Horus the great Arch-Traitor. If the Emperor had acted on this information maybe he wouldnt be a corpse. I mean its not like he had two years between Magnus's warning and Istvaan.. oh wait yes he did. He was also told by Magnus every legion that was going to fall so its a real shame about that Istvaan 5 massacre isnt it?

>half-assed capitulation achieves nothing.
He let the SW live and lived himself. Besides it was Ahriman who defended Prospero. If Russ hadnt Russ'ed the place Magnus would have gone to Terra and everything would have been fine. All Horus had to say was "to return Magnus to Terra would be a waste of time and effort" and bam, free traitor legion and half a loyal one destroyed.

>Still joins Horus and Lorgar
In the end why not? The Emperor had rejected him at every turn.

>All in all, it was indeed impossible for Magnus to NOT fuck up.
Its funny that you comprehend this yet still tak this on
>Not like he needed too much external intervention, however.
Like Magnus wasnt stuck in an impossible position. Magnus hubris didnt lead him to damnation and chaos, it lead him to the cliffs ragged edge. It wasnt till Russ arrived and threw him off that he fell.

Personally I hate the goofy Jetsons rings. You can almost hear the PEW PEW noises

pew pew ray guns are best guns

Well I guess with the whole turn-Horus-traitor now having been retconned to be just a prank by Chaos, because they intended him to lose, Magnus would have been better off doing nothing after learning about Horus' betrayal.

Unless that's going to be retconned -again- in a future HH novel.

>plasma russes taking out a Spartan

>Well I guess with the whole turn-Horus-traitor now having been retconned to be just a prank by Chaos, because they intended him to lose
Dont talk silly user. That isnt said or implied. If you want to claim otherwise feel free to source it.

Aren't they supposed to be martian deathrays?

I do agree that the jetson ring is weird given that the weapon is flat not round. If anything, I figure the ring effect belongs on the conversion beamers.

I always figured volkites to look like pic

So, what's the verdict on the Quaestoris Knight Castigator? Seems a bit expensive, but the model's so fucking good.

Nobody?
CAN NO-ONE TAKE UP THE CHALLENGE!?

Can someone please give me a rundown of what happened immediately following Prospero?

It was my ignorant understanding that when Russ "beat" Magnus, Magnus made a pact with Tzeench for his soul, and he and his entire legion were transported to Sortiarius. From there the flesh change began anew (from being in the warp and Tzeench fuckery), Ahriman casts the Rubric, Magnus gets mad and exiles him and those loyal to him. Begin 10,000 of angst and shit while Ahriman tries to get into the black library and fails. All before he and his forces rejoin on Sortiarius to attack the furries.

Is this right? Did the Thousand sons just fuck off after Prospero? Did they do anything else before the Heresy ended? When did the armor style change from normal to the crests? I know Ahriman repainted them all blue, so would rubric marines still loyal to Magnus still be Candy Apple Red?

Its kryptonite to tarpits and the chainfist terminator squad, which are both common anti-knight measures, but its lack of multiple ranged weapons to use to charge with and lack of the D to deal with Primarchs and similar tough customers relegates it to the medium-tier of Knights. Still an excellent LoW for legions if you build around it

Ok I'll take your challenge but since you didnt post a point limit I will only say this:

In order to use Hammerfell Strike Force properly you N E E D at least 3 dreadnoughts in drop pods, preferably Leviathans so you pack a punch and maybe 3 more units in Dreadclaws and you may ask why you need so much shit? Because the RoW has no way to manipulate reserves, limits vehicles on the board which means all your shit has to footslog which you should avoid because then why the fuck are you using this RoW for? and no way for your army to NOT come in pieces and trust me in pieces you will leave, so the pods and dreadclaws mitigate all this weakness while giving you something good on the board on Turn 1 to do some damage and make the most of the blinding.

Its a shit Rite, I fucking hate it because it could be so cool but its just a general downgrade unless you already have a ton of dreadclaws and dreadnoughts in drop pods.

Its trash, you can do it fluffy and have piles of warders and have fun doing so, but its trash, all its benefits are actually negatives in disguise. May as well play Orks vs Eldar in 40k if you're that much of a masochist.

If you stab someone in the heart with a rusty nail they'll die. And even if you don't get that stab, people with their guts dangling about tend to have their combat skills somewhat diminished.

It is indeed a volkite gun. How did you think it would look?

Why is it so good against chainfist termies?

Originally the Thousand Sons didn't make it to Planet of Sorcerers till after the heresy, new lore they ported there immediately. Flesh change gets Amp'd up and end of A Thousand Sons, Ahriman is planning the Rubric.

Next book, Crimson King, deals with the after math and what they are doing in the Eye.

That's about all we know for sure at the moment.

So, sadly, the answer to most of your questions is: We don't know.

You're pretty much correct in your chronology.
So far we know they joined in on the Wolf Cull at Yarant and took part in the Siege.
Many of them always had the Kheltaran crests, particularly officers, although those becoming the 'official look' is unknown. Consider though, that the Rubric changed people with, for example, tentacle arms, into normal power armour arms, and that Rubrics can restore holes in their armour etc over time, and I think you can take it as intended that the high crests on everyone is because of the Rubric.
At some point, marines loyal to Magnus *also* had their armour turn blue. This happened some time before the 2nd Rubric. It is unknown why; perhaps all of them got turned blue all across the galaxy when Ahriman made the Brotherhood of Dust blue (it was magically applied paint during a spell that linked him to all Thousand Sons, he didn't actually have everyone take a brush to their armour).

>and he and his entire legion were transported to Sortiarius.
The entire legion that was on Prospero were transported to Planet of Sorcerers (apart from special DONUT STEAL Khayon that is).

>From there the flesh change began anew
The flesh change was already happening during Prospero. There are many theories on why this is. My personal favourite is that Magnus had been rolling all of the TS perils roles during the GC but stopped as he did not wish for them to defend Prospero as they were.

>Ahriman casts the Rubric
Ahriman's rubric was after the HH. It used to be that way anyway. Not sure if it's changed.

Theres also the second Rubric which brings Mangus back together again after being 'sharded' for lack of a better term. This is sometime after battle of the fang in 32K.

> All before he and his forces rejoin on Sortiarius to attack the furries.
This is new and we dont know exactly what happens yet but we should by the weekend.

>so would rubric marines still loyal to Magnus still be Candy Apple Red?
The TS are run by different covens. There are many different coloured warbands that have been referenced in the past.

> Did they do anything else before the Heresy ended?
TS have very few named characters and havent had many big fluff events so its mostly just Ahriman and his crazy high-jinks. Mostly some mooks just get rekt by the SW every couple of thousand years or so.

Thousands sons used to be present at the Siege of Terra, so untill that's retconned they still participated in that. And in the old lore the Rubric and the change to the blue armour was before that (that Ahriman trilogy might be a good read but it really fucks up the timeline)

And they supposedly also were exterminating the SW alongside AL and SoH on some token planet, though the story about that only names them as being present. Could have been any other legion for how much there's written about them in Weregeld.

Deflagrate for bonus wounds, at s10 ap2 insta-deathing 2w, and its sweep-attack thing hits everything in contact with its massive base. Basically, you're giving everything in contact a hit, and theres a decent chance that that'll multiply into two wounds. Compared to how most Knights handle massed chainfists, they've got a good chance of dealing with everything thrown at them, and they are just as good against large units as small ones

Pretty sweet!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Ive been building up my thousand sons force slowly for about a year and a half now. I have all of my vehicles ready, I'm just missing the infantry. I was just going to do 40k, but with the plastic kits out, I thought I'd jump into 30k too.

I ask mostly because I am planning on getting the new thousand sons kits and painting them red, so that if I need to have extra/special marines in either force I won't look mismatched.

Is this ok to do?

(The new flamer squads might even be amazing stand-ins for tactical support squad weapons)

I'd have no problem with it

though that might be because I'm tempted to expand my 40k Thousand Sons so I can play them in 30k as well. Can really use an excuse to get the new models because they're so ... hhnnnnggg

Yes it's okay. Remember that they are Your Dudes and you can justify most things you want to do with your army if you have too.

HH Thousand Sons strongly lean towards MkIV armour (so sayeth Jes Goodwin anyway), which the new Rubrics are based on.
I'm planning to mix parts from the new Rubrics with parts from MkIV armour for my veterans. Same with the Scarab Occult Terminators.

those are volkite russes not plasma?

Also impossible because thermite needs to be a powder to ignite, and even then you need a particularly hot torch.