mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

>FAQs
warhammer-community.com/2016/11/22/warhammer-40000-rulebook-final-faq/

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour
1d4chan.org/wiki/Power_Armour
thefang40k.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/quick-and-easy-psychic-hood-conversion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Dark Eldar strike first and strike fast!

ML3, spell familiar. If you want to go the choppy route, Disc+Spawn+Seer's Bane is quite deadly, if extremely expensive.

You need somewhere to put them. One of the big issues with Thousand Sons/low unit count armies is that they make target selection easy. Taking a Warherd to hide casters in will help ameliorate that, as would any high-model count mortal ally (Lost and the Damned formation or a detachment of Renegades and Heretics).

Power selection will largely be dependent on what the rest of the army has and what the opponent has. Ectomancy against enemy hordes, Heretek against armor spam. Biomancy is great is melee is likely, and Telepathy is always a good option.

There's a lot that can be done with all the traitor legions. Sadly, there's only so much that can be done with Formations/Detachments, especially when GW decides to play it conservatively. Expect lots of "benefits" that really should be errata (like allowing you to throw all your dice at expanded chaos disciplines) and stuff that doesn't really do much (I hope Night Lords are ready for Fear).

Orks coming in at I2

>strike first
Dark Eldar don't have Always Strikes First.

Though what do you think would happen if ASF was ported over (and given to both flavours of Eldar)

Would that help DE? What about making Bashees / Storm Guardians good*

>buffing CWE
No. Nothing in CWE should be getting better unless if comes with nerfs to the OP shit.

Not that ASF really changes things that much for them. Banshees are already usually striking first, their issue is that they have no good way of surviving on the way into the assault.

>giving CWE even more good rules
No thank you. That's the last thing this game needs

What about only DE then?

That's fine

>win a game as Orks
>no one believes you
Such is life in /40kg/

Is it just me, or are people seriously undervaluing the flexibility of psykers in TSons?
>Facing hordes?
>Pyromancy.
>Facing tanks?
>Telekinesis.
>Facing elites?
>Psychic shriek nigga!

Am I missing something here?

I was wondering if anyone had an .epub reader recommendation.

Readium

A little. But you need to keep in mind randomized powers can be quite a limiting factor.

Sure as hell dont strike hard though

dark eldar are pretty much always striking first anyways because of their high initiative, and melee (and charges) aren't as completely central to gameplay as it was in fantasy

little changes

Archon, please...

It's not as doom and gloom as people think.

Can all Sorcerers (including squad Sargents) generate powers from Traitor's Hate?

If so adds a lot of tactical flexibility to the squads.

>Can all Sorcerers (including squad Sargents) generate powers from Traitor's Hate?

All sorcerers except Rubric Marine Aspiring Sorcerers(only ML1).

We believe you, we just know you didn't face anything remotely challenging.

Psykers can't do everything. Every Warp Charge spent killing is a Warp Charge not spent keeping things alive or moving things around. Being forced to throw a die at Change also limits their flexibility somewhat, as does losing their Primaris.

Rubrics of both varieties are quite limited in what they can effectively engage (basically just MEQ's in the open), fairly slow, and not as durable as you might think. A 4++ (or even a 3++) is great for protecting against low AP stuff, but regular rubrics die quite quickly to massed small arms fire.

It's not the new meta, but it certainly isn't as garbage as the more pessimistic claim.

Google Play Books if you want to read them on android.

How about taking generic CSM (maybe + generic Sorc) instead of TSons for troops?

At that point you should just run non-Thousand Sons entirely and MAYBE run one of the Sorcerer spam formations as allies.

Has anyone posted a download to WoM yet?

Sup Veeky Forums, I'm new as fuck. I've been passingly interested in 40k lore for a while now, but I finally decided to take the plunge and start buying some minis (entirely for modelling purposes, I don't know anyone who plays and my closest game shop is an hour's drive one-way and the staff are dicks) and learning a bit more in-depth stuff.

Is there a resource anywhere for going into the minutiae of space marine armor? I bought a tactical squad box and I see at least three (but probably four) types of power armor on the sprues. I come from a military modelling background, so I'm pretty autistic about small details and stuff, and I'd like to model a squad that actually make a degree of sense both in their equipment, and in the squad composition.

Also jesus christ GW's prices are murder I'd feel like I had to call the cops and report a rape if I'd actually have given $50 for this box.

Thousand Sons is a good legion tactic to take in a CAD if you are running terminators, warp talons or obliterators.

SM Codex fluff and especially the Horus Heresy book fluff has tons on this.

The problem isn't the psychers Exalted sorcerers are great, it's just Rubric squads are ML1 sorcerers who have to roll on Tzeentch.

So you can't customize and tailor what powers you want for the grunt squads. They are also expensive as hell.

Then you aren't playing Thousand Sons. Your playing CSM w/ a Sorcerer who can afraid of things and run away.

The problem is Thousand Sons are too expensive to be good. Everything they do can be done by another unit for much cheaper, except sitting still and not dying in melee. They excel at sitting still and not dying in melee.

If you are running 3 squads for troops, that is 450 for 15 guys. For reference Space Marines can bring twice that many for 420pts. You can't bring enough of them to effectively control the board with firepower.

>What is google

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour

1d4chan.org/wiki/Power_Armour

Tzaangors were made to pad out the bodycount, and they're fluffy as hell too being that they've always lived on the planet of sorcerers and served the Thousand Sons in older fluff.

Welcome to the hobby user! In terms of the power armour provided in the box and it's lore, all the parts are compatable with each other so you don't actually have to worry about that. Plus you can't actually make a full suit of any specific mark besides VII.

If you want in depth shit on Astartes power armour, go here wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour because I can't be arsed to go through all that and put it in lamans terms for you.

Whats the best Malcador-chassis vehicle? I run an artillery+zombies heavy Renegades and Heretics list and want a fun centrepiece to run out every now and then.

Is it possible/a good idea to form a CAD of TSons?

The lexicanum page only covers the broad strokes of it. Like, for example- there are helmets that are unmistakably the Acquila-pattern helmet, but then there are a few that have two pipes running to the frowny-face respirator deal on the front on either side, and another that has rivets or armor studs on the brow. Are these just cosmetic differences, or do they signify a different mark of armor?

does GW even have internal consistency on this stuff or is it just whatever looks cool

Possible, yes. It's not the most optimal army, so don't expect to win any tournaments, but if you're playing casual games you should be fine.

Here's the break down.

>MkI, used by the proto space marines, the Thunder Warriors. Not true power armor.
>MkII, oldest and most powerful, best looking. The first true power armor system, had the most mobility of any mark due to it's ringed plating.
>MkIII, reinforced MkII that led to the creation of terminator armor due to heavily increased weigt. Used primarily in boarding and close quarters.
>MkIV, simplified MkII, but most efficient power usage and most complicated power system. Extremely advanced systems, extremely hard to make compared to other marks.
>MkV, duct tape armor. Used only in dire circumstance or your chapter is poor.
>MkVI, second only to
MkV in weakness of the armor plating, has the second most advanced systems, with MkIV having the most advanced. Has iconic beak.
>MkVII, lost the advanced systems of MkVI, but increased the armor and is able to use parts from MkVI.
>MkVIII, newest mark, has the second highest armor rating, with only MkIII having more. Not compatible with MkVI.
>Only MkVII is compatible with MkVI and MkVIII. MkII compatible with MkIII. MkIV compatible with MkV.

Probably the giant Titan gatling gun version. All the others just bring in slightly better stuff than what you already have, but that one's a proper baneblade-level weapon.

Custom variations, reapirs and modifications, different versions from different Forgeworlds, combinations of various suits, etc, there's a lot of variation.

Does one get the same benefits when using CAD instead of the WoM decurion?

Subtle changes in design are normally due to the armours being made at different Forgeworlds who implement different practices. It might also be repairs made by the chapters Techmarines and them putting some unique flare to the pieces as they do so.

It's probably also that too, and I'm glad. Let's face it, if every model looked exactly the same it would be boring as shit

I've been feeling a will to try 40k again after quite a few years out of it, I've not played the game since 6th edition, and even then it was just a couple of games. The last time I played a lot was 4th I think, just after eldar came out and falcons were indestructible.

Anyway, unlike my teenage self, which I don't think ever had a fully based and painted army, I want to play with fully painted models this time around. I've heard a lot about 1000 point games mitigating a lot of the formation/allies bullshit going around (although last time I played, my store didn't seem hugely competitive/net-listy) so I've set that as my main goal.

+ HQ (75pts) +

····Canoness (75pts) [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Melta]

+ Troops (302pts) +

····Battle Sister Squad (145pts) [2x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Flamer, Battle Sister with Heavy Flamer]
······Immolator [Twin-Linked Multi-Melta]
······Sister Superior [Boltgun, Combi-Plasma]

····Battle Sister Squad (157pts) [3x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Flamer, Battle Sister with Heavy Flamer]
······Immolator [Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer]
······Sister Superior [Boltgun, Combi-Plasma]

+ Fast Attack (370pts) +

····Dominion Squad (185pts) [4x Dominion with Meltagun]
······Dominion Superior [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Melta, Upgrade to Veteran Dominion Superior]

····Dominion Squad (185pts) [4x Dominion with Meltagun]
······Dominion Superior [Bolt Pistol, Combi-Melta, Upgrade to Veteran Dominion Superior]

+ Heavy Support (250pts) +

····Exorcist (125pts)

····Exorcist (125pts)

>Terminator armor patterns:
>Cataphractii Tactical Dreadnought Armor is the strongest and oldest variant, patterned off of MkIII armor. Is also the heaviest variant.
>Tartaros TDA is the lightest and fastest variant, though this is a relative term, while retaining the same protection as Indomitus armor. Patterned off of MkIV.
>Indomitus TDA is the most common pattern, and is patterned off of MkV and early MkVI.

There's a few standard marks of armor, generally marks 2-7. Because of the extensive repairs done over time, lots of these armor pieces develop differences from others of the same mark. Not only that, but many suits have become chimeric, with perhaps several armors being used or cannibalized to make a functioning suit of armor out of many damaged or unsalvageable ones.

Of course, if you want to check out bits sites, especially stores on eBay or even some of the Forge World armor sets, there's enough uniformity to satisfy even the most salty autist. Could the Chapter is simply very well supplied when it comes to their armor marks, or makes an effort to promote uniformity among the ranks as part of the Chapter's demeanor, if you need fluff justification for your dudes.

The GK also have their own special versions.

>Drop out of 40k around the release of 7th edition
>Randomly visit GW's site while bored
>Plastic TSons are a thing
>Heresy Prospero book finally
>Death Watch a thing
Well shit. Time to make a trip up to the attic to dig my old shit out it seems

Marks I and II: Early Crusade era, rare in M41

Mark III: Heavy, tough, mid Crusade era, very common though went out of production post-heresy. Chaos(and probably Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Salamanders) are the armies have the most in M41.

Mark IV: Late Crusade era. Horus ensured the traitorous elements of his own legion and the Word Bearers would get dibs on it, for an advantage in the upcoming rebellion. Chaos uses it a lot in M41, it's the armor the Raptor/Warp Talon kit has.

Mark V: Late Crusade era, mainly manufactured during the heresy, very good armor design. The Chaos Space Marine kit is this, mixed with parts from older marks here and there.

Mark VI: Lightweight stealth power armor. Late Crusade era, pioneered by Raven Guard, later bought by other loyalist chapters in limited quantity.

Mark VII: Heresy era, developed by loyalists, became ubiquitous. The standard Tactical Marine armor.

Mark VIII: Post-heresy by thousands of years. Grenadier armor, rare and expensive, only used in large quantities by Deathwatch and Minotaurs.

Most armor is mixed and matched since parts tend to be cross-compatible. In general Chaos legions use III through V, loyalist chapters use VI through VIII, while renegades and loyalist veterans use a mix.

If you're doing Immolator's, you're better off spending the 10 points you spent on VSS for the dominions on a Laud Hailer (Only if you have the points to spare after the other changes). Mathematically better for getting your AoF off than the extra +1LD.
I'd remove the combi-plasma on your BSS and use 2x flamer instead of f/hf as you can't do both templates at the same time with different weapons.
I'd also try to get the points for Celestine over the Cannoness. At that point range she's brutal.

I'd do something like this:
Celestine (135)

BSS -2xF, Immo TLMM (130)
BSS -2xF, Immo TLMM (130)

Dominion -4MG, Combi-M, Immo TLMM (175)

Dominion -4MG, Combi-M, Immo TLMM (175)

Exorcist (125)
Exorcist (125)
995 total

I actually can't tell if mark V armour is a distinct mark or a set of DIY instructions.

Hi people, looking to model up a libby for a friend's Christmas present for his deathwatch. What's the best model for doing this and still be allowed to pick the shoulder pad? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I actually might have been confused about Mark IV and Mark V, Mark IV is the really good one

You get the Thousand Sons detachment benefits (+1 Invuln while blessed, reroll to hit in CC with wolves, free VotLW, can roll all on Change), but not the Grand Coven benefits (Reroll Warlord and Perils, cast one additional spell per turn). The additional cast will usually be worthless thanks to Tzeentch Primaris, but reroll Perils will be clutch when it saves a 250 point Exalted Sorcerer from blibbing out of existence while trying to turn on Force.

That does look like it squeezes a lot more in, cheers.

I didn't know about the template thing either, I can't remember if I've read through the 7th ed rule book now that I think about it.

Additional cast lets Aspiring Sorcerers do stuff like:
>Doombolt a Vindicator
>if you kill it Firestorm something else >otherwise Force your squad to protect them from return fire

Kitbash it from anything you want and convert up a psychic hood.
thefang40k.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/quick-and-easy-psychic-hood-conversion/

Hey, any thoughts on using Gal Vorbak as counts as Obliterators?
Seem easy enough to green-stuff a few heavy weapons on for a simple conversion.

I wouldn't really describe telekinesis as anti-tank powers user.

Also unless you bring Ahriman and 3 other Psykers you only harness charges on a 4+.

Also all of your psykers are still locked into having Tzeentch's firestorm as their primaris which is fucking awful.

In-fact, overall Tzeentch sorcerers get very little over regular CSM. You trade being able to get a free power that is actually useful in exchange for rerolling on perils and potentially an extra +1 for harnessing warp charges if you take an extra formation on top of your overly expensive core.

In fact, all the formations here mean 1ksons are even worse than fucking generic imperial psykers who harness charges on a 2+...

So what army should I use for a melee oriented army? I know that the current edition is a shooty edition with melee being gimped, but I'm playing for fun® .

Any suggestions?

>unless you bring Ahriman and 3 other Psykers you only harness charges on a 4+

there's one that doesn't require him, War Cabal iirc

Orks, they're a melee race.

Melee Tau

Genestealer Cults or Khorne Daemons

Yeah, it's frustrating for sisters. I've found it quite fun running 4x Rending HF in a Repressor though with Retributors.
Have a think about if you *need* 14 meltas +2d6 s8ap1 shots though. You might need more anti-infantry options. If you think that might be the case, Seraphim to go with Celestine would be good instead of one of the exorcists, and can free up enough points to give your Doms Repressors (which have enough fire points for them to all shoot out of without getting out, free dozer blade, and is AV13 on the front, but has a HF instead of a MM.)

Sisters are fun in current meta though. Once you get more comfy with the army you can start taking the even worse options from the codex like Pen Engines and Repentia.

What's the deal with the Tzeentch primaris? Don't they get to roll on the table?

The Tzeentch primaris is Strength D6+1, 3" blast, 24" range, deals extra S3 hits if it kills something. In other words, highly random and not particularly useful for anything except killing GEQ.

Oh, the other cool thing about picking up Celestine is the 10LD within 12" of her. Plus if she goes down you auto-pass all leadership tests (even acts of faith) for a turn.
She also has a heavy flamer that can be used in combat to make her S5 ap3 which is tight.

Genestealer Cults. Pure strain Genestealers and Acolyte Hybrids are both fucking nasty in CC and cult ambush gives you the tools to actually get there. They also have extremely solid ally choices for a non-Imperial force.

The only major downside is pretty much everything is paper, but luckily your guys are dirt cheap and your characters get auto "look out sir" at all times.

How do we fix it?
Forgeworld is working on an update for it.
What do you think they'll do to it?

Both. As of FW's HH series, the studded MkV that the Charcarodons and other poorfags wear is Standard Production MkV, whereas armor marks that have been cobbled together at massively reduced efficiency is Non-Production MkV. Only Iron Hands Forge Fathers and Iron Warriors Warsmiths, as well as the very best Forge Lords could get Non-Production MkV working as good as any other suit, though it was hard for them to do.

Cheapen the cost and add a redundant defensive ability?

GSC, Carcharodons, or Khorne Daemons.

Doesn't need much.

The biggest issue is it costs 100 points to upgrade an ion cannon to a d-gun, but...

The D-gun also uses up the capacity it woulda used to carry nearly 200 points worth of free drones.

So it spends like 300 points to upgrade an ion cannon to a d-gun.

The fix? Hack the points cost down. That it.

That makes me think, a Kroot army list is even possible?

>generic imperial psykers who harness charges on a 2+...

What generic imperial psyker harnesses on a 2+?

Because all the ones that come to mind are formations and only for 2? Factions.

Psykana Division

Yes it's a formation but it's composed entirely of units you were going to take anyway if you were going to use them

>tfw Commissars make psykers expert daemon summoners

Librarius conclave.
What, formations don't count?

If you use fw you can fill all roles, but it's shiter than orks.

How to equip KDK defiler I just bought?

You will generally kill more models with the HFlamer over the regular flamer, though.

MEQ you cause more wounds same
MEQ 4+ save you not only cause more wounds, but negate their saves
GEQ causes more wounds and still negates the save

I thought the same thing, but the HFlamer comes out on top.

Here my tried and true 1000 point Sisters army.

That being said, I've been having a lot of success with a plasma+flamer command squad, too.

Generic imperial psykers
Kinda implies that it's generic.

Also only for two factions. No 2+ for any snowflake chapters

It just rubs me the wrong way when the MAJORITY Faction's psykers in the game can't harness on a 2+, yet people use the EXCEPTIONS to justify why theirs should.

>Plus with Familiars CSMs want a 2+ rerollable

The repressor is one of the Sisters units I don't have, but I have always wanted to try heavy flamer rets, something to add to my to do list I guess.

I probably don't need that much melta, but it's hard to say without seeing what the local scene is like.

Once I've got a decent core built up I'm going to try some of the other ecclesiarchy units. I know a lot of Sisters players like to just go pure Soroitas, but the ecclesiarchy side of the codex is just as appealing to me, and gives me a chance to try and make some really John Blanche-esque conversions.

Because the standard rules say you harness on a 4+ and therefore any exceptions to that come from formations/snowflake rules? This isn't hard to grasp.

Yes, but you have to do the flamers seperately. If you cover 5 guys with your heavy flamer and kill 3, your other template can't hit as many. It has to be after the heavy flamer since it isn't the same weapon. If you take two of the same you do both together.

Lets be real, how many 4+ saves are there these days for models you'll be using flamers on too.

You know, the wording on Tzeentch psykers being able to choose to generate their powers from the Tzeentch table bothers me. Why would it say they can choose to take tzeentch powers when they have to take Tzeentch powers because they're marked?

Pic related

Is CSM just doomed to the fate of a million mediocre supplements that attempt to slap a band-aid over the gaping wound that is their codex?

with a cardboard box and the return receipt.

Given how they didn't really do much to even improve the one old unit in the codex they did touch with this release, I'd have to say yes.

It wouldn't have taken much to fix Rubric Marines and it just baffles my mind how they could screw them up again after 15 years of them being useless.

Simply cut their cost by 5 and make the Aspiring Sorcerer level 2 and allow them to take wargear. That's not too much to ask.

Looks good as well, since I only have 3 multi-melta immolators (the 4th uses the metal parts from the old 2nd edition model)

What is the plasma+flamer squad? It would be nice to try some things that aren't sister/dominions/exorcists.

Meh. Oblits wear Terminator armour. Gal Vorbak look too sleek for that imho.

Already threw out the box.

I've been thinking and interpreting it as,
>exclusivity for rolling gets you the whole dam tree to work with
>only rolling powers from Change?(ex.Aspiring Sorcs)
>a little more flexibility

Combi weapons are a waste of points

I'm a die hard Chaos player but I'm skipping all these supplement books until we get 8th Edition.

Daemon princes would be my guess as why

Haven't been keeping up with 40k for about 2 years now and saw that chaos got some new stuff.

So what's the new meta for CSM's these days?

Prior to this they could only generate up to half their powers from their God

Can't post from pc so excuse the pic

Hitting 5 with the heavy flamer will kill 1.1 Marines, leaving 4 left for the regular flamer.

10 S4 hits against MEQ is 1.66 wounds

5 S5 and 4 S4 is 1.778

The S5 is also better in more situations.

Drop Celestine, the Seraphim, and the melta bomb and add:

Canoness
Rosarius
Mantle of Ophelia
Combi-Plas

Command Squad x5
[Combi-Plas and Flamer] x4
Hospitalar
Immolator w/TLMM

Note that that each Celestian in the command squad has both a flamer and a combi plas.

You could probably fiddle with points and add an Evicerator to the canoness, which I like to do, but it's optional.

belakor
1-2 cultist squads
heldrake/any vehicle that takes your fancy really
FW shit
large detachment of daemon allies

Oh shit, that makes sense.

Post yfw Roboute Gulliman wakes up from stasis and it's Alpharius