>Models are incredibly expensive and many are considered ugly
>Produced by company who is notorious for being moneygrubbing scumbags
>A literal parody of another wargame
>Most popular wargame
???????????

>A literal parody of another wargame
???????????

>Sage for the salt god.

There's something oddly satisfying about the verisimilitude of a universe as openly hostile to its characters as our own world is largely uncaring about our own.

There's always one or more Big Bads.

There's superhuman heroes (Space Marines).

There's alien species that it's okay to hate with no thought, or to say fuck that hate and try to be friendly with one or two (Tau/Eldar - for RT's, at least).

There's people so rich beyond our wildest, non-1% dreams that we can barely comprehend it, who can build their own fate with clever deals, industrial empire building, treacherous backstabbing, and waging their own private wars.

There's mind-bending horrors lurking underneath every curtain, where technology can form a counterbalance to rampant magic, and cleverness or violence is usually a solution.

And there's normal people shoved into all of that just trying to survive. Dark Heresy Acolytes and Adepts, your rank and file guardsmen from tabletop or the RPG, and countless normal people from the novels, all alone in the grimdark night.

And considering how shitty our future has looked for years now, it's grimly comforting and hilarious in equal measure.

/ t h r e a d

It's a knockoff of starcraft.

You are so retarded it fucking hurts....

Lets say I'm a bored billionaire with nothing better to do that attempt to save a game that has brought me much joy. Would I have to institute a hostile takeover of GW through stock purchase, or do you think they would just let me buy them outright for a decent price?

>It's a knockoff of starcraft.
>Warhammer 40k - 1987
>Stagecraft - 1998
How?

>It's a knockoff of starcraft.

>>Lore is inconsistent at best
OP was pretty baity, but should have just opened with this tbeqfhwyf, this bait is of a far higher quality.

I didn't mean to have the greentext quote. I meant the starcraft post.

It's a pretty bad game but it's the one everyone plays. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

0/10 BAIT
DIDN'T EVEN GET ME ANGRY WOW SUCH FUCKING BAD BAIT KYS FAMALAM

I've always loved that while most scifi univserse have some looming, galaxy ending threat, 40k has like 5 looming, galaxy ending threats that are actively getting in each other's ways

>just conform it's what everyone else does
good one lemming

>He fell for the myth that lemmings follow each other off cliffs
Ironically, you are the 'lemming' here.

>It is the scale and depth. Anything can happen, and it does, all day, every day, at 250% maximum awesome. It is the over-the-top-80's, super-gritty-90's, and depth-demanding-2K's all blended together into one multimedia story. It harkens to the classic tales of the Gothic Age, the epic fables of Northern Europe, the darkness and detached sentimentalism of WW1, the corrupt tales of the urban underworld, the mind-warping fantasies of Lovecraft, and all while maintaining a sense of dark humor and romantic heroism.
~user.

>GeeDubs totally didn't rip off some of the models to update their own
>'nids started to look a lot more like the zerg over time

>zerg
>rip off
'sup?

You hit the nail on the head.

it's a cycle. it would be lying to say that the second generation of nids weren't inspired by starcraft (the warriors and old prince sport the same head carapace as hydralisk and zerling)
But warhammer came first, and was ripped by blizzard for both warcraft(green orks was ''invented by GW, orks used to be more brownish) and starcraft (nid+space marines, at least). Also the first starcraft was really more gritty and grimdark than the later cartoonish iterations.
GW -> blizzard -> GW etc etc

I've never understood the claim that the terran marines were a ripoff of spess maroons. They're nothing a like in concept and only alike in appearance in so far as they're soldiers in power armour (which is not a concept GW came up with).

it's just the appearance really
bulky space guys, with pauldron and all
just look at other representation of power armor (halo, mass effect, ...), it's much closer to the body, less space marine like

Both are heavily inspired by Startship Trooper (the book). It's more a matter of shared influence than anything else really.