Heroism in 40k

Is there really such a thing as heroism in the conceptual enterprise of Warhammer 40k?

The setting is so grim and even moreso dark, that everything in humanity is "Necessary evil to fight greater evil". Is there actually any good? Any actual saviors who come to the rescue out of the goodness of their own hearts? I need your help Veeky Forums. Help me find the good in 40k.

Is this motherfucker saying that the God Emperor isn't heroic?

in the meantime, i might just dump 40k stuff

The god emperor was a bad father, a neglectful leader, and a shortsighted moron. His intentions were unquestioningly pure, his actions were decisively ruinous

paladin as shit, then

if anything the emperor is the most evil out of them all. He stuck humanity in a sustained state of immensely intense galaxy wide suffering for ten thousand years while he rots away on a throne.

if anything, the grey knight paladins come closest to being heroes moreso than any other being. If it wasn't for the fact that they slaughter the guard and astartes just for laying eyes on daemons they would be heroes. would be. They are not.

>Is there actually any good?
Nope.

>Any actual saviors who come to the rescue out of the goodness of their own hearts?
In the countless worlds that make up the Empirium of Man, not one person would do so. No siree.

>Help me find the good in 40k.
There is only war.

/thread?

t. ADB

Yes, you can get heroes. There are undoubtedly moments of sacrifice made willingly which are heroic. You are dishonoring the sacrifice of every man and women who went out to fight and die to save their homes and their families from terrible eldritch abominations and monsters by saying that their actions were not heroic

Can you name any specific instances of said heroism?

>his actions were decisively ruinous

He saved humanity from an early extinction.

>delaying extinction for ten thousand years
>making humanity suffer for another ten thousand years and then die instead of allowing them to rise up with the power of the dark gods and roflpwn everything in existence easily

>saved humanity

>saved

Wasn't there some manlet imperial guardsmen who jumped before Emperor to save him once or something?

This was old w40, kind of a meme and neat concept.

But they did of course retconed him heavy because they are deplorable assholes so i think no, there is no heroism in grim darkness of the future.

ollanius pius, yes. and thats not 40k, thats HH

>Helping out a child with a scraped knee
>Making that child live through the anguish of growing up into a functional human being along with all the good and bad experiences that come with it
>not just murdering them
>not bashing their head in with a rock to make the pain of the scraped knee go away
Lol imperialfags are so stupid

>Chaosfags actually believe this

they die unsung and unremembered....except a few.

>implying the child won't grow up into a functional human being only to be tortured and sacrificed to xenos or chaos
>implying not just murdering them is what ever single commissar has ever done
>rock? that's cost effective, the munitorum should issue standard execution rocks to all commissars henceforth.

>imperialfags actually believe they can win

>ollanius pius

>not 40k, thats HH

i mean old w40 in the sense that references to him were found in old books. I know its HH timeline wise.

Wish I could find the scans of Dan Abnett's "Titan" Comic, but in that one the humans and the Eldar form a temporary alliance against the Tyrandis when they discover the 'Nids have developed a means of corrupting and controlling the mind-like between a pilot and their Titan.
At the end of the story, the spirit of one of the older prior pilots of the lead Titan that still lingers in the mind-link appears when all seems lost. He willingly allows the Tyranid to infest his spirit and begin to corrupt the Titan, and then, through sheer force of will, he dies, wiping out his own psychic presence and mentally crippling the Hive Fleet.
I would say self-sacrifice to save not only your own species, but a culture that is arguably your enemy is pretty heroic. Especially when you consider that Princep's mind-spirit is effectively immortal within the Titan, and dying is something that could normally only happen if the Titan was completely destroyed.

this discussion is about heroism in 40k. If it was heroism in HH there would be so much ripe stories to tell. But its not hh its 40K

Yeah because shitheads like you actually think you'll be free if you follow Chaos. You're just trading one master for another.

The Lamenters.

They're so heroic that it gets in the way of functioning at times. They go out of their way to save as many as possible to a ridiculously idiotic degree. I fucking love them.

>implying there shouldn't be a master
>implying you would go fight for malal and he can reward you with ascension to an emo mopey depressed goth marine who would shoot itself in the head

Ciaphas Cain.

I don't know enough about cain, other than he has an imperial sanctioned cult. Can i get some heroic specifics?

Arguably the lamenters are evil, simply for not considering the imperium as a whole in their actions, but only acting for their selfish personal agendas, wasting valuable priceless manpower and resources on a lost cause

Arguably the orks are a force for good. They are the ones who won't ask any of the questions the other races ask, but rather be satisfied with the one answer - The WAAAUUUGH. They know no fear, they were built to kill the necrons and as a side result are helping stop the nids. They are the happiest race, and the most confident, therefore, they are heroes.

Colonel Commissar Ibram Gaunt and His Tanith are pretty heroic. Also see Salamanders Space Marines

You're just throwing out a name, any specific engagement to go with it?

Do you think the hivemind will start to think that Ork planets aren't worth the trouble, and go around them, or just devour the rest of the galaxy first, then go devour Orks? Or would the Tyranid hive fleet just move slower through ork space, and get to the rest eventually?

The nids avoid necron planets only, simply because of lack of biomass.

If the hivemind was able to defeat the orks first, their armies would swell a billion times the size and the resulting evolution from countering them would make them strong enough to wipe the galaxy clean. Everything else is just filler.

bump

Ahem

I'd argue that's actually not true, because outside of the Badab War, I don't think the Lamenters have actually lost any of their recorded fights. Suffered terrible casualties, yes, but never lost. When a Black Crusade came and everyone else ran, they dug in their heels and kept the brunt of the crusade back until reinforcements from other chapters came. When the took on Slaughterhouse III, no one actually expected them to succeed, which is why the other chapters basically went "Fine, but you're using your own shit cause we don't wanna throw our resources away". Then they actually took it down, and while they themselves thought they'd failed cause they didn't save the majority of the captive humans, the other chapters were impressed enough that the Ultramarines actually tried to give them a rewards for it. IIRC, they even got caught in a Warp Storm once, and somehow managed to fight their way out. Even their encounter with the Hive Fleet after their penitent crusade began was a success; they managed to evacuate a good number of planets before the fleet arrived, and we didn't lose info on their status until after the encounter, so they survived that too.

Lamenters, despite their idealistic nature and horrible luck, are actually really damn good at what they do. If their luck wasn't piss-poor, they'd arguably be one of the more competent space marine chapters.

Heroes exist in the 40K universe but they can't be everywhere at once and they usually lean heavily on pragmatism tempered by faith rather than wide-eyed idealism like a boy scout. And behind every hero is a trail of tragedy.

The Phantine liberation, a brute operation where they had to save civies and break open void shields, all with close to no ammo.

user, tities on blue board. Delet it before you get a 2wk ban

Is everyone gonna forget the only good member of the Ecclesiarchy, Sebastion Thor?

there's plenty of heroics and good people in 40k.

the grimdark is that the universe is such a shitty place they can't do enough to change anything significant.

>it's edgy chaosfags pretend that self-sacrifice and heroism can't exist because everything is so grim and fucked

Just fuck off, you've ruined WH:FB already.

>ywn bang a hot Eldar with big tits

Why live?

>Is there really such a thing as heroism in the conceptual enterprise of Warhammer 40k?
>The setting is so grim and even moreso dark, that everything in humanity is "Necessary evil to fight greater evil". Is there actually any good? Any actual saviors who come to the rescue out of the goodness of their own hearts?

If anything the twistedness of these eldritch horrors your regular guardsman has to put up with, increases the value of his sacrifice.

Some are conscripted but most are really willing to die, so that the fabric of reality doesn't get torn apart. That's what is at stakes, it is not paladin shit where you look shiny and can afford to enforce the pretty small rules like greeting your neighbour and showing merci.
The struggle is existential and they will lie, cheat and genocide to literally save reality.

Messy but heroic.

>Saved numerous planets pretty much by accident
>Led a full scale slave revolt against Orks on a planet he'd later retire on
>Survived a melee encounter with a Keeper of Secrets, having killed said Keeper when she was a cultist and allowing his aide to kill her again
>Saved an Artillery Batallion by 'scouting the flank' (Got caught by Tyranids while trying to run away, turned out alright)
>Fought at least one Chaos Space Marine in close combat and put up a damn good fight, his aide got a good Melta shot in and put the marine down
>Fights daemons and doesn't afraid of anything
>Fights Necrons and is completely terrified by them
>Fights Genestealers and really fucking hates them

Even more, they are the ultimate galaxy equilizer. When some race rises too high and proves a threat to wipe out other races, orks will come and git stuck in.

If threat is sufficient enough to defeat ork first wave, survivors will scatter telling other clans and boyz of how "gud dat fight iz". Then you have even more orks comming to eleminate the threat. Then even more. Until threat is buried under greenskins.

Do they commit genocide and wipe loser afterwards? No, they are going to enslave survivors, then get bored and leave the planet. Rest of orks will degenerate into ferals, giving survivors a chance to rebuild and lick their wounds. So orks are there to ensure that noone gets the monopoly on galaxy, but they can't have the monopoly themselves for beeing too disorganized.

Combined danger of multiple threats as of late requires some equalization, and thus leaders like Ghazz pop out.

>dat pic
Why are sisters so great?

I remember an ork giving up on his bet to help his mate build a gargant.

>sacrifices a thousand psyker lives each day just so he wouldn't have to die and go meet the Chaos Gods regarding the bargain they struck

>implying he ever asked for this

To bang a hot SoB with medium-sized but firm tits user. Obviously.

You're looking for Fabius Bile.
No gods, no masters, only !!SCIENCE!!

I however prefer to follow Tzeentch.
At least that way he stays out of your way, probably, and if you don't ask for anything you won't know you got anything, probably.

>I like being a contrarian

Hero
Not coward.

Only if you repot him.

And don't forget she's ripped as an ox, limber as a dancer, and mean as a wildcat. Plus a couple of cute battle scars to boot.

SoB make the best masters.

postin humanity's number 1 hero

Why with the big tits elder?
You'd think they'd all be rocking the flat 'n firm look.

Except dark eldar 'cos hawt body modding

Blame the armor of the Howling Banshees in the tabletop and the armor of the Farseers in the First Dawn of War.

/thread

Also, the imperium is full of heroes, there's only about as many assholes and its easier to be evil.
For examples, just read about the most popular comissars like Gaunt, Yarrick and, honestly, even Caine.

Clearly they stuff

>Wall of text defending a W40K space marine chapter
Yes. We know that they've done Brave Heroic Things and sacrificed themselves to selflessly help people, but I'm pretty sure that user was playing devils advocate to encourage some thinking on the subject, not just "well, they're heroes who fight the good fight" this is information you could get from any wiki on the subject.
In fact you seem to be operating under the assumption that user said "The Lamenters are weak" as if this was a Digimon vs Pokemon power level comparison thread. What he actually said was that the Lamenters are inefficient and wasteful, and that they could be far more effective and get even better results if they weren't so short-sighted and eager to sacrifice themselves. You can try to single-handedly put out a fire with your own body if you like, but a more sensible person is going to phone the fire services for help, and just accept it if they don't get there in time. Less heroic but more sensible.

>implying there should be a master
You're doing Chaos wrong.

Although obviously, if a large established group in WH40K was sensible, altruistic and effective then they'd upset the grimdarkness of the setting.

What could be more herioc than sacrificing the weak and taking up the great mantle of being the primordial gods chosen race? To transcend where others have failed and will fall?

There's good, but comes from scarce singular beings, factions aren't good, races aren't good, but yeah, you can find actual good people, they don't live long though

Anything involving the ultramarines and by extension ultramar. Nicest place in the imperium for the common man.

They aren't evil, sure, but saying there're good is blatantly lie. They kill innocent lives tons of times

Ultramarines.
>Can't save the galaxy, so let's set up an autocracy in this little sector and make It perfect enough.

Space Marines ruling over the weak and flawed humans.
Only Chaos, Salamanders and Ultramarines do it.
Says a lot.

Edgy Chaos fags ruin literally everything.

>look up this guy on 1d4chan as I don't pay attention to a lot of 40k shit
>see a badass motherfucker that is actually a coward

A Rogue in Shining Armor if I ever saw one.

Isn't its also true that the nids can't quite breed all the ork out of the biomass? Or is that just something i heard on tg somewhere?

A lot of the Space Marines can be considered really heroic, especially the Blood Angels and the Ultramarines. Even the Dark Angels and Iron Hands can have their moments.

Among the average human, a lot of it is just holding on and continuing to fight even when things get hopeless, like Yarrick or a few sister characters like Saint Praxedes.

For the Eldar, it's trying your hardest to save your entire race or your craftworld from whatever horrible future is in store, even if it costs your own life.

For the Tau, it's sticking to the Greater Good and the hopes and dreams of your people, even in the face of the whole galaxy's malice.

>ctrl+f Lukas Bastonne
>0 results

Really nigga?

Lukas had a hard life.

>tfw go back to save a Death Korps of Kreig soldier
>Kreiger says to just leave him
>Lukas still goes back and fights though nasty nurgle shit
>is actually successful
>uh oh Kreiger is actually infected
>puts him out of his misery
>another name and face he needs to live with