"Sir"

What's a good alternative to "Sir" in a fantasy setting? Preferably a gender neutral title.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale_gas#Earthquakes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ser

Depends entirely on the position they were meant to fill. What it entailed and what gender neutral title we can liken it too.

The female equivalent to Sir is a Dame.

a female knight would be Dame Namehere.

Sera

Fuckface

Xir.

Shithead.

>What's a good alternative to "Sir" in a fantasy setting?
M'lord (lord is technically gender neutral).
>Namehere
Is that pronounced "Nuh-meh-heh-ree"?

You fucker. You made me choke in laughter.

why is Sir not gender neutral? You could easily use it as such.

Also, honorifics and epithets are really neat and if you're gonna use them, you should have some variety to them. Make up a heirarchy for noble titles, whatever. Guls and Moffs and Thots and whatever the fuck.

Xr

Vowels imply gender roles and norms and should be avoided.

Yes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame

Woah there Shithead did you just use only two letters for a gender, a MALE construct as seen by the word "he"?

40K uses Sieur. Sirrah, in more historical settings, though it has hierarchical connotations.

>why is Sir not gender neutral?
That's like asking why "she" isn't gender neutral
Any time someone uses sir for women it sounds super weird

>Sieur
french shit

>Sirrah
Little boy shit

I'm pretty sure that's what they do in the military.

military is sir and ma'am

Ser, It's been said before but that is it though in a fantasy setting and in general for most languages that have strong famine/masculine divide it is important to note that the Masculine title is treated as gender neutral. This is referred to as defaulting to Masculine. For example if you have a Prince and Princess and you lump them together in english they are Princes. If you don't know someones gender, and you don't know them or anything about them, you refer to them as He until such time as you know better.

And a good rule for old times fantasy settings, when referring to the person in front of you, refer to them by their sex over their gender. Sex was the more important trait over gender. No one gave two shits about your gender in Ragnar Lothbrooks days. If you had a dick, you got a axe and a shield and you fought in the shield wall. If you had tits and a slit you got a sword and a shield and you fought in the shield wall.

Depends on the country and branch.

But my video games and movies say they use Ma'am. That's just another way to pronounce madam, right? Madam pronounced properly sounds like a weird title to use for a military officer.

Correct. You address female superior officers as 'Sir' or by their rank, unless told otherwise.

For a knight?
"Knight," "Herr," "Comate," "Banneret."

>lord is technically gender neutral
This is a modern concept, traditionally "Lady" was the female equivalent to lord.

>why is Sir not gender neutral? You could easily use it as such.
Sure you could, but generally "Sir" is derived from "Sire," which is essentially itself comes from old French "Seigneur." It's an explicitly gendered term, and it's counterpart is "Ma'am", which comes from "Madam" -> -> -> "Mademoiselle."

Essentially, the reason a lot of titles in english are gendered is because the high class people in old english society spoke that weird version of old french, so all of their titles were french, and french has always had a very strong focus on gendered words. Same reason all the words for prepared animal meat in english are french words. Fancy douchbags.

Get out

>But my video games and movies say they use Ma'am.
They can. See American military, at least, you default to sir. Some female officers prefer ma'am, others prefer sir, some don't give a shit either way.

And if a male superior officer tells you to refer to him as ma'am, know that you're going to be fucked either way. That one's a joke.

British military it is specified "Ma'am"

I'm American. We don't leave until you run out of oil.

>Correct. You address female superior officers as 'Sir' or by their rank, unless told otherwise.
Fucking where? Nine years as a US military and I never encountered that shit. The only time I heard of that shit was in movies and other bullshit.

>What's a good alternative to "Sir" in a fantasy setting?

Just use "Dame" for women, you buttchugger.

If the character in question lacks a gender, no sane king would ever bestow a knighthood on it in the first place, so the question is moot.

>Female knights
They wouldn't be called knights, they would be called something else. "Knight" literally means "boy" in the same manner that you would refer to a slave or a waiter.

Sir.

>Dame is a noble title, and the feminine form of address, for the honour of knighthood in the British honours system and the systems of several other commonwealth countries such as Australia and New Zealand (with the masculine form of address being "Sir").

>Because there is no female equivalent to a Knight Bachelor, women are always appointed to an order of chivalry. Women who are appointed to the Most Noble Order of the Garter or the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle are given the title of "Lady" rather than "Dame".

You fucking mongoloids, we have actual words for this already. You dont need to make shit up, you don't need to tack on meanings to other words.

>I'm pretty sure that's what they do in the pretend military in TV, movies, and vidya.
FTFY

One of my brothers joined the marines 13 years ago. My other brother joined the army a year later. I spent some time at a military base.

So unless they changed that shit nine years ago, I don't know what to tell you.

Not even an intelligent golem like the Warforged, or a spiritual entity animating a suit of plate armor, or something exotic like that? Assuming they're properly patriotic and have proven their competence previously, of course.

I like "Dragonslayer"

It actually works best in settings or places with little to no dragons left. It implies the title once held that specific meaning but has become more generic.

You could just say that "Sir" is now gender neutral and call it a day. We've done that with other titles. For example things like "Officer", "Magistrate", and "Judge" were all implicitly male because only men held those titles. Then women started to be allowed to make use of them, which made the titles gender neutral. In Vampire the Masquerade they did that with "Prince" and a few other titles, such that the ruler of a city is the Prince regardless of gender. Dark Ages Vampire also has an amusing version is that the vampires in France are ruled by five Queens, one of whom is male. There's some in-character argument as to whether it's more proper to call him a King or a Queen (he personally does not care).

Beyond that, you could make your own titles or borrow from other languages. For example the Turkish "Bey" is monosyllabic like "Sir" and has a smilar meaning, and while it's not gender neutral in its native tongue it could be used as though it were.

I've never NOT been chastised for calling a female superior "sir". no idea where you're coming form

Gender does not equal sex.
Gender is a social and psychological concept of what someone is supposed to do and how they are supposed to behave and how they are supposed to function. Everything you mentioned has no sex but likely has a gender even if that gender is programed into them.

IDK, I kind of like it

And if nobody bothers or intentionally doesn't program a gender?

This, for fuck's sake.
Most of 'gender' language differences are entirely based on the fact that we're looking at the physical things that make each side different and useful.

The man goes looking for ladies to make sons; and in fact even if he's gayer than a bag of dicks, he'll STILL make sure to produce some heirs if he's not a completely worthless piece of shit who doesn't care about his family.

The woman gets a good man and makes babies, because if we run out of people on the fucking wall, we have a fucking problem.

People NEED biology, and "but I wanna be called XEEEERRHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" is of no fucking use to anyone.

Nice but needs shortered. Maybe just 'slayer' or 'drak'.

"Boss". Or "Chief".

Both Shakespeare and Chaucer think you're full of shit. The Victorians didn't invent the world as much as they like to pretend they did.

>gender neutral
Get the hell off my board.

So we have William the Conqueror to blame?

OBSVIOUSLY, the superior alternative is using "dom" and "dona", but one can't count on everyone speaking portuguese.

The rpg market is so english based that the brazilian players know and use "sir" but don't even recall learning "dom" at school and have no idea about "dona". Bit miffed about my folk being like that.

Sir

What's wrong with Sir?

But what about languages that don't have gendered terms in grammar?

Didn't you hear? You can now invade your own country! It's already fighting back!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale_gas#Earthquakes

>but one can't count on everyone speaking portuguese
One of the few things the world can be grateful for, that.

Awesome.

anything you pick is just gonna be forgotten/ignored. Some things are just not worth fucking with

DAME
LADY
SIR

Well, english is easier to learn.

Not joking btw.

It also sounds better and is used by more successful nations.

Middle europe is not easy, chevalier sounds pretty genderneutral though it isnt.
If youre doing middle east use Sholetai

Think of a world where the spanish had BTFO'd the englishmen and had colonized the New World along with the portu-guise.

"Dude"

>It also sounds better
Subjective
>used by more successful nations.
Objective

I'd hardly call that a good alternative

But it is, in fact, gender neutral

>I'd hardly call that a good alternative
Fine, "My dude"

How's that?

Here are some:
>Meatshield
>Pincushion-in-waiting
>Dragonfodder
>Metalmook
>Shithead
>Asshole
>Dumbass

bitch

Calm down, why all the anger?

Jeddak. Jed is another option and doesn't have a feminine equivalent, but I don't think it sounds as good.

Really cool "realistic" grumpy character, dude.

What's the female equivalent of Jeddak? My Barsoom is rusty.

That kind of language seems like it would invite censure from your social superiors who you're referring to this way, which could be very inconvenient or dangerous depending on the culture.

>Depends on the country and branch.
Well your foreign trees can fuck off.

Make up a title, like...Veid
There you go.
Veid Susan of Lower West Leiceisteistershire

Tittyplate is the female form.

Jeddara.

'"Sir" is gender neutral in many countries nowadays.

Lord is good.

This.

Dominus, Domina.

>gender neutral
fuckface

Can't take a joke?

Here's your (you).

Sir in a millitary context applies to all genders.
same as Swordsmen, you are a swordsman regardless of your gender.

>Dominus
of the Black Megadeus?

Red Rising, actually.

its Sir unless otherwise stated.
A female officer is still Sir unless they choose to be referred to as Ma'am

Tits-in-a-Can

>Is that pronounced "Nuh-meh-heh-ree"?

Name here

> Joke
> You

this whole threads a joke.

That's cribbed from addressing your social superiors, which has atrophied right the way down with the class system so it only counts for the royal family.
For example, addressing the queen is 'your majesty' for the first time and only the first time, and 'ma'am' after that.

its fucking Dame

be done with this shit. its just bait for trump voters.

>females can't be slaves
lolwut?

moron

I'm the US military, female officers are ma'am or ladies if it's a group of female officers.
>t. a grunt in the Army

are you retarded? its Lady.

It's Lord/Lady and Sir/Dame

We've been over this

I believe jokes are supposed to be funny.

>Gender Studies.

How does it feel to be at the bottom of the academic barrel?

In my Italian rip off county I use Don and Donna for knights.

No, fuckass, you call the knight's wife a lady. A woman who is a knight in her own right is a dame.

>Foreigners can fuck off
>Posts this in English
>On a Japanese website
Thanks, mate. Made me kek.

I want a cute girl version of that thing.