RIP Joe Dever

>We are sorry to be the bearers of such tremendously sad news, but our father passed away peacefully at 10:15 yesterday morning. This follows twelve years of an illness that he kept secret to all but those closest to him. We appreciate this news may be a shock to many.

>He died as he lived - with colossal bravery, humour, and dignity - and held by those that loved him. He was working on the final three Lone Wolf books until Monday evening. His thoughts were with his work and thusly his fans until the last possible moments. His work clearly meant a lot to his fans, and your loyalty meant everything to him.

>It is with enormous honour and great responsibility that these notes for the final three books of the saga, and the legacy of his incredible universe, are passed to us to complete.

>Please allow us time to attend to the family, and his personal affairs. We will be in touch via this page and his website with further news about a memorial service that we hope to arrange for late January. We will also share how you can apply to attend the memorial, with full details of the time and location.

>With love,
>Ben Devere & family

Other urls found in this thread:

projectaon.org/en/blog/2016/11/bearing-sad-news/
guardian-series.co.uk/news/14937849.Legendary_fantasy_author_Joe_Dever_dies/
projectaon.org/en/Main/Home
scribd.com/doc/315473349/White-Dwarf-53
mediafire.com/file/e7njf4fjzjf38vt/White_Dwarf_#053.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

who?

Goodnight, sweet prince. I will miss you, even if I didn't find Lone Wolf that good as others do.
Fuck you, user. Just fuck you.

I loved the Lone Wolf gamebooks. It was some of the earliest fantasy I ever read and what I grew up with. Magnamund is an amazing fantasy world. He will be missed. RIP Joe Dever.

projectaon.org/en/blog/2016/11/bearing-sad-news/
guardian-series.co.uk/news/14937849.Legendary_fantasy_author_Joe_Dever_dies/

If anyone is interested, Joe has generously made all his work available for free at projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

>He actually made all his work free
My respect for him has automatically tripled.
That sort of stuff is what people claim they're gonna do but never actually get around to.
Dammit, I've been putting off a gamebook of my own for forever. No excuse this time.

Great man. Good work. Never aloof, all along involved and available for the gamers.
Well deserved rest, now.
Sad news, sad day.

My childhood would not have been the same without it. RIP Joe. For Sommerlund and the Kai!

While he's mainly remembered for Lone Wolf, Dever was also one of the first hardcore fantasy wargamers. His work appeared a lot in early White Dwarf. He famously designed a Peleannor Fields battle that was huge. RIP Joe.

A very talented and generous man. He was one of those whose work encouraged the likes of me to imagine a different world where the good guys could win. Hats off to you, sir.

Oh shit, RIP.

lel, newfag

see

if you don't know or don't care who Joe Dever was, go to post .
if you do know and just want to curse 2016, go to post instead
if you just want to pay the man respect, press F

Fuuuuuck.

;_;7

A real shame. Lone Wolf used to be one of my main fixes for some old-fashioned but unique Sword and Sorcery fun. Gotta respect him for helping keep his generation's style of fantasy easily accessible to this day.

Damnit. That might explain why he gave his books away online, I guess. RIP in peace, sweet Kai.

Nice.

Imma choose F and just hope it's not some sneaky instadeath option.

>giving your artist equal billing on the cover
He really was a gent. Also, dem googly eyes.

...although it's possible Gary Chalk might have had something to do with the rules.

Old-timey fantasy art is best fantasy art.

>His work appeared a lot in early White Dwarf. He famously designed a Peleannor Fields battle that was huge.
scribd.com/doc/315473349/White-Dwarf-53
Someone with a scribd account should dl and post it. I can't handle that shitty site.

>playing Lone Wolf
>not choosing Sixth Sense and Healing

>That feel when you still have Banedon's Crystal Star Amulet at the end of the last book.

This guy knows what's up.

bump

Never played. Are they really that good?
I was considering Mind Shield and Mind Blast myself.

I think newfags and young anons can be excused for not knowing about Denver or Lone Wolf, the cyoa heyday was before most of them were born.

Still, RIP, will miss you.

mediafire.com/file/e7njf4fjzjf38vt/White_Dwarf_#053.pdf

Never heard of these Lone Wolf books, are they even in print? I liked the Jackson and Livingstone CYOA books, are they comparable?

I remember finding the first three Lone Wolf books in my local library when I was about 12. The entire idea of a gamebook was alien to me at the time, and it utterly blew my mind.

It's no exaggeration to say that Joe Dever is the man who started my TTRPG hobby.

I hate this year.

They're sort cyoa adventure RPGs and apparently you can get them for free online
Legally even, from his website

Let's post his Minas Tirith battle

>Never heard of these Lone Wolf books, are they even in print?
You'll find them in second-hand shops easily enough but they are all free online. They're similar to FFs but have a more focused plot, like the Sorcery! series.

projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

>from his website
Technically it's a fan website that has the sole rights to freely distribute his work online.

lmgtfy.com/?q=press+f

I had most of the Magnakai to the Grand Order books... Those were good days of my youth.

Thank you for this lovely universe, you will be missed.

Anyone give a TL;DR of what his books are about?

The premise of Lone Wolf is that you're a not!Xiaolin monk whose entire order is slain to the man while you're out gathering wood like the good little probie you are.

Cue a large number of battles, epic weapons and horrible horrible traps as you try to find who killed everyone and get your just revenge

>You're

Wait, so it's a CYOA or a first person novel of some kind?

It's a series of solo gamebooks, yes

That's exactly it, yes.

Someone tried running Veeky Forums through the books several years back. It ended rather poorly on a number of occasions.

I thought about doing something like that myself, but I quickly pictured all the ways that could go wrong.

It was good times. Seemed like a mix of nostalgic people who could (maybe only vaguely) remember what to do and newcomers who made ALL THE WRONG DECISIONS.

The books are pretty much designed to require multiple playthroughs. Although generally IIRC the Lone Wolf books are easier than the hardest Fighting Fantasy ones.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Healing means gaining one Endurance for every non-combat paragraph. That's indispensable tbph

I've been on Veeky Forums since day one, and despite hearing the term Lone Wolf series dozens of times it never occurred to me to look into it. Hot damn.

>"Turn to page 132"
>"You are sad for the rest of the day."

Great Spirit, Maker of All Life. A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome him and let him take his place at the council fire of his people.

>Lone Wolf
My childhood. . .

Good run, buddy. Thanks for all the memories.

>projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Bumpin' for love of the classics. Rest well old friend.

bump

The phone app is pretty great too, but since you can't cheat with it, it's VERY VERY HARD. Fuck I can't even get past book 2 on it.

Also, RIP, I came here to see if there was a thread/bump it.

It's CYOA, but a novelization exists of part of it, although the story is pretty different on some plot points.

>a novelization exists
Lies. No it does not. There was no such thing. John Grant/Paul Barnett is a faggot.

>Someone tried running Veeky Forums through the books several years back. It ended rather poorly on a number of occasions.

It went about as expected

Good tribute, user.

Oh man, my Lone Wolf collection is one of my prized nerd trophies. This is a bad day. :(

He was also a RPG World Champion, and liked vidya too (he worked on MGS, for example). And he was an all around cool guy who cared for his fans rather than despising them like some do. Met him once at a convention, I literally turned around he was there at his stand promoting the revised edition of Flight from the Dark, and had a nice chat with him (and bought the book and got it signed).

>I literally turned around he was there at his stand promoting the revised edition of Flight from the Dark

He was a goddamn workhorse. I think he attended pretty much every gaming convention in Europe up to last year, and probably a lot of conventions in the states too. He was always out there promoting his stuff.

Joe, I'm gonna pass your lone wolf game and read as many of your books as I can.

You can tell he was a cool dude, and definitely bro-tier...