MTG Legacy General

Social Experiment Edition

Drop the names and trips for a thread and see what kind of crazy anarchy happens! It'll be just like /b/ lmao

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art (Updated through Duel Decks: Jace vs Chandra)
sites.google.com/site/mtgbasics/

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Miracles: The Match-Up Everyone Should Know
channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-defeat-miracles/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Common Legacy - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Miracles
>Delver variants (Grixis, Izzet, BUG, RUG)
>ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)
>Death and Taxes
>Eldrazi Stompy
>Shardless BUG
>Lands

Uncommon Legacy - Decks You Should Know About
>LED Dredge
>Reanimator
>Infect
>Stoneblade
>Burn
>TES (The Epic Storm)
>Elves
>Painter
>Maverick
>4-Color Loam
>Nic Fit
>Sneak n Show

Rare Legacy - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Enchantress
>MUD
>Goblins
>Merfolk
>High Tide
>Aluren
>Food Chain
>12 Post
>Belcher
>Pox Control
>Blood Moon Stompy variants
>Tezzerator
>Sneak n Breach
>Stax (White or Black)
>Deadguy Ale
>Landstill
>Affinity
>Oops, All Spells

What is the best Storm variant right now? These are your choices: Belcher/SI, TES, ANT, DDFT, High Tide

Here goes nothing...

Anybody else make a lot of play errors?

>Letting Pithing Needle resolve when you have three Flooded Strands
>Show and Tell vs Goblin Charbelcher with a Diamond on the board
>Force of Will pitching Flusterstorm
>Casting Brainstorm, then rearranging the top three cards and drawing one
>Pithing Needle naming Lion's Eye Diamond
>Dark Petition without spell mastery/playing Grim Tutor
>sacrificing nontokens to Dread Return when the opponent has an Engineered Explosives
>"Glimpse of Nature...FUCK."

Not all errors I've made, but all errors I've seen. What about you guys?

None is in a good spot right now, though I think Belcher and High Tide are probably better positioned than the others. Don't know how long that will last, and I'm sticking with ANT for the time being. Still a strong deck, though not in a great spot right now.

But High Tide has such a goddamn miserable miracles matchup.

That's true, but Miracles is a bad matchup for Storm decks generally. It's definitely possible for ANT to power through a lot of disruption if there's no clock, but now that Monastery Mentor's around, that doesn't happen often.

Isn't the Solidarity version all instant? So you can bait out a top activation and go off in resp. once they have no more mana?

Ayeyo OP you got them HD scans? I really hope your duals aren't fake.

the solidarity version is just worse in every other matchup thouugh. I'm not even sure it's really bettter vs miracles.

printer isnt working but here are some close up pictures, what do you think?

They're all fake. If you look at the black line around the frame of the card, it should be solid without any fuzziness. All 3 of these cards clearly have the rosette dot pattern present in the line.

Whoever sold you these cards sold you fakes.

it's all carboard lmao

It's real money lmao

Not like you would know that feeling anyway.

>spending over twice the production cost of cardboard rectangles

we've gone through this kids

Yes we have and we've concluded you're a faggot of the highest order. Why do you keep bringing this up?

Wew Lad
Because I don't spend thousands on pieces of cardboard

Because you think you're superior for being poorer. I didn't even know WIC covered hobbies.

who said I was poorer? I simply don't enjoy making poor financial decisions.

>Wow I'm so smart
>I don't even pay for my hobby lmao
>look at all these losers actually paying for they're hobby, you know the thing people LOVE to spend money on
>time to go purposefully cheat in a tournament because I feel better than everyone else
>What a bunch of kids, they don't even understand my superior logic

fuck, are you sure? i got them from my LGS, it seemed pretty reliable

>ITT: Pic Related

>ITT: Pic related

Stop shitting up the thread

>Stop paying thousands for paper

please no name desu, read the op

Not him but spending over $100 on a fucking Tundra is the pinnacle of stupidity. It's especially stupid when Wizards is not doing anything to make a fucking cardboard game accessible and lower the price of said cards.

It's especially stupid when players look at a product like Planechase and decide whether or not it is worth buying because of its values on the secondary market as opposed to the amount of entertainment it would yield.

I can afford to play Legacy. But guess what, I don't pay the $2000 it takes to buy a single fucking deck because that's a poor fucking decision. You can go to Europe with $2000.

We've been crying about Legacy dying for years. And for all that crying Wizards, the only people who can help the game, isn't lifting a finger to help people play it even though it would be profitable for them and our local stores. Let me tell you, I will find the death of Legacy hilarious. When all the "investor/collector" morons that Wizards hides behind realize they can no longer sell their mint-condition cards because nobody wants them due to the format being dead and Commander/Cube players having turned to proxies, I will have a genuine laugh.

The counterfeiters are Gutenberg with the printing press. And Wizards and collectors are the fucking church.

What's wrong with FoW pitching Flusterstorm?

That dude is lying to you, don't worry about it. If you really care bring it to your LSG and have THEM inspect it. Most judges can do that for you.

t. the real based Chinamen Fakes Guy, not that "Chinaman Fakes guy" imposterfag

REKT. You should act like your chink culture says to act and self exile because you have brought disrespect with that terrible get.

Check mine.

This is the border of a real Scrubland. Notice how yours seems to have a dot pattern in it?

People are getting to know me as the guy who says "I'm so bad a this game" every time a resolve doomsday.

What are the main differences between TES and ANT? Wishes?

(me)
Here's your Scrubland.

I should've included "with an untapped land."

One mistake I've made was to play through about half my deck in one turn looking for a Duress to take a Flusterstorm when the other guy was tapped out. I felt bad about that one.

You're wrong
+ is right.

>implying anyone would every want to imposter a porrfag

I want to buy a Tabernacle but I really only play legacy with my 3 friends and go to a legacy tournament at my lgs 4 times a year. But the card is so fucking sexy and I've wanted to build lands since I first discovered it.

They're only $2.75 desu

>desu
reported

>forgot to activate a slyvan library trigger after playing it previous turn
>infect vs infect, named inkmoth nexus in g2 with pithing needle forgetting I use them too..

Kek, get good

Both decks run 4x Infernal Tutor in the main. TES essentially goes heavily into red to support 4x Burning Wish and a maindeck Empty the Warrens; ANT doesn't run Wishes but runs more powerful black rituals with maindeck Tendrils of Agony and Past in Flames. ANT also runs Preordain and/or Sensei's Top; TES tends to run a few copies of Chrome Mox to optimize Ad Nauseam. TES has a much bigger red component, so it runs only one basic; ANT runs 2-3.

So TES tends to aim for a quick Empty the Warrens or Ad Nauseam, but it folds hard to countermagic if it can't juice up a second Wish/Tutor quickly. ANT can go fast (both can T1), but it usually strips its opponent's hand first and sets up for Past in Flames because it's so strong against countermagic.

ANT looks worse on paper because it's got fewer wishes/tutors, but I'd recommend it. I haven't played TES because it's significantly more complicated, but its problem is that it's an all-in deck that doesn't go as quickly as decks like Belcher, All Spells, or PSI, and it doesn't have the resilience of ANT.

I'd started off wanting to play TES, but I don't feel any incentive to try it at this point.

Kind of a shit picture but lighting sucks and my phone is 4 years old. I can try to get a better one tomorrow if I have time.

List (if you don't want to guess)
MB:
4 Probe
4 Street Wraith
4 Manamorphose
4 SSG
4 Dark Rit
4 Cabal Rit
4 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
3 Summoners Pact
3 ESG
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Narcomoeba
4 Undercity Informant
4 Balustrade Spy
1 Tinder Wall
1 Wild Cantor
1 Dread Return
1 Bridge From Below
1 Underworld Cerberus
1 Laboratory Manic

SB:
3 Spoils of the Vault
4 Pact of Negation
4 Leyline of Lifeforce
4 Nature's Claim

O shit I forgot the lands!!! ;) kek

Why the Spoils of the Vault? I thought that was only to find Charbelcher or Lion's Eye Diamond.

If I have any extra black mana I can find Pact of Negaction if I need it. I've been thinking of replacing it with maybe some spicy Leyline of Anticipations so every turn 1 is a turn 1 kill. Or boring Chancellors, not sure.

Good god in heaven if this shitshow is what happens when the trips get turned off, please BRING THEM BACK.

I don't think that's a good idea. If you hit any of your combo pieces you autolose, even if they don't have disruption.

I actually run Pacts in the mainboard in place of 3 of the Manamorphoses and the Tinder Wall. Feels risky, but I also run double-Bridge, triple-Narco to facilitate fixing with Chrome Mox.

>leyline of anticipation

Oh man that would be fun to play around with. Shitting on someone T0 like flash hulk would bring great joy to my penis.

Nah fuck that. Feels nice to have a Legacy thread for once without the fake airs of respect namefagging gives off to other people.

I actually agree

You showed up with no fucking lands in your deck... I live life on the edge! Also I've exiled my Cerberus before but luckily had the nuts and Dread Returned Labman and had a Wraith in my hand.
In all seriousness, I kinda want to replace them...

You can't turn 0 but you can do it during their first upkeep before their first land drop :O!!

Agreed. Anyone want to play Cockatrice or Xmage? (prefer the latter because rules enforcement and the client is easier to use)

Well, just pulled the trigger on oops. Got all the shit except for pact of negation which I'll pick up next check.

Brother from another mother!
Did you go with Underworld Cerberus or Angel of Glory's Rise/Azami?
GIMME A LIST BRO!

I picked up both win cons to see which one I like better but I'm partial to the angel just because I used it in a similar deck before.

1 Angel of Glory's Rise
1 Azami, Lady of Scrolls
4 Balustrade Spy
4 Cabal Ritual
3 Cabal Therapy
4 Chancellor of the Annex (flex)
4 Chrome Mox
4 Dark Ritual
1 Dread Return
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
1 Laboratory Maniac
4 Lotus Petal
4 Manamorphose
4 Narcomoeba
4 Pact of Negation (flex)
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Summoner's Pact
4 Undercity Informer
1 Wild Cantor

Still up in the air on if I want to pack the annex AND negations mainboard as it seems a bit overkill. Annex because fucking useless after T1 anyway. Also might throw a bridge or two in there and see how it feels. Tinder wall is going to be a place holder until I get the negations.

I would definitely get a bridge if you can, sometime you draw a narcomoeba and a combo piece (it actually happens all the fucking time!) and you need to get the combo piece out of your hand so you need to cabal therapy yourself, if you don't have the bridge you can't do that and you probably just lose.
Pacts and Chancellors are a tad over kill, there will be games you draw both or multiples and that will force you to mulligan.
Gitaxian probe and street wraith are your friend, find a way to get them in there. At the very least probe gives you a look at your opponents hand and cantrips (or lets you cast the nacromoeba if you draw 2+) and street wraith with either make your deck smaller or act as black mana for your moxen when you are in a pinch.
The RG mana is easy for this deck to make, Black can be problematic.

TL;DR
bridge = outs, no bridge = you're out
pact/chancellor = overkill, cut something somewhere
probe/waith good additions, probe>wraith

cont.
I also prefer the Cerberus version because it's one less card slot in your deck so drawing your combo pieces becomes that much more unlikely. The kicker is the sequencing can be complicated until you learn it and there is a lot more shortcutting if you don't want to shuffle through your whole graveyard (deck) for every creature and add it to your hand. Shitbags have made me do that before.

But in the Azami list you don't need to run Wraiths to win, cause you got 2 wizards in play.

I got probes and bridges already so those can just drop right into the deck.

Like you mentioned, cerberus is great like you said as you need less combo pieces. Less combo pieces results in less shitty hands where you need to therapy yourself to discard a combo piece and other such crap.

There's just something about turning a creature sideways and winning the game on the spot that tickles me.

Thanks for the input man, it's duly noted. I really do appreciate it.

>but its problem is that it's an all-in deck
This is just false, stop posting.

It hasnt seemed to make much difference in the quality of the thread since some people are just here to shit it up regardless. You're always going to have a bad thread if people try to make it bad.

Casual bump.

Which of you guys has events coming up this weekend? My LGS is running Legacy FNM again and supposedly they've been getting 12+ people each night for the past few weeks. I'm gonna go as a farewell to the semester.

Our monthly Legacy FNM is next Friday, and we generally get about 8 people (which is quite good for the north of England.)
Then we have a win a box of EMA that Sunday.

Going to end up playing White Stompy, since I am still about 7 cards short of finishing 4c Loam

List for reference.

Artifact
4 x Chalice of the Void
3 x Mox Diamond
1 x Batterskull
1 x Umezawa's Jitte

Instant
2 x Dismember

Creature
2 x Phyrexian Revoker
2 x Containment Priest
4 x Eldrazi Displacer
2 x Stoneforge Mystic
4 x Thought-Knot Seer
2 x Sanctum Prelate
4 x Thalia, Heretic Cathar
4 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Land
4 x Ancient Tomb
2 x Karakas
4 x Cavern of Souls
4 x Eldrazi Temple
4 x Wasteland
7 x Plains

Sideboard
2 x Ratchet Bomb
1 x Warping Wail
1 x Sword of Fire and Ice
1 x Dismember
2 x Rest in Peace
1 x Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 x Swords to Plowshares
2 x Disenchant
2 x Ethersworn Canonist
2 x Winter Orb

Enjoy rebuilding after you dump on a Wish, some cantrips, three Rituals, and an Empty the Warrens.

Past in Flames is a good card.

This. Running at least one Bridge is crucial. Two makes it so that you have more awkward cards to topdeck, but it also makes it so that you have extra imprint targets for Chrome Mox.

Cerberus is actually a tad better than Azami/Angel. Takes up less space in the deck. It'll necessitate that you use an Ingot Chewer in your 'board, though, because of all the Chalices running around.

I don't think you need all four Manamorphoses, and I don't really like Chancellor because it's too easy to turn off. I run 1x Manamorphose, 3x Probe, and Street Wraiths in place of Chancellors.

TES plays 6 discard spells just like ANT.

TES can actually rebuild quite well. I've done a non-lethal Tendrils and then later went into a bunch of goblins to win the game. Also TES plays 4 Therapy and 2 Duress main and 2 Thoughtseize in the side which can be wished for if needed.

The number of discards isn't as important as the inclusion of Past in Flames.

One of the simplest examples of where this matters is when you've got a Tutor and a Past in Flames in hand with a Diamond on the field; you can Tutor and sacrifice the Diamond, discarding Past in Flames, and either find a discard if they let the Tutor resolve or find more mana if they don't. You can just flashback Past in Flames and do it again.

I've seen a list or 2 that even runs PiF main. Really what's happening is ANT and TES are slowly converging.

>either find a discard if they let the Tutor resolve or find more mana if they don't. You can just flashback Past in Flames and do it again.

I phrased that poorly.

Yeah, the weak-point is Burning Wish. It doesn't work so well without a big investment of red mana, but the red Rituals don't stack as well after the first couple of turns as the black ones do.

Yeah; I get what that said, though. You either find discard to knock out disruption or just let them counter your Tutor and flash back everything with Past in Flames.

That's a really weird list if it's running 2 PiF main. There isn't really any need to run 2 main in TES, at most it will just run 1 and the other will be in the side.

Burning wish adds a lot of flexibility though. And DDFT plays it without needing red rituals, although that may be partially a factor of how the deck''s engine operates. Makes me wonder if an 8-tutor deck without the heavy red slant could work. More like a true ANT/TES hybrid.

You misread. I've seen a list or 2. Those lists run pif main. Just 1. I guess I didn't specify.

32 man legacy event fires at your flgs and you are sitting at the finals. You have never seen the opponent before. Your first play is a cabal therapy. What do you name?

>Easy
Red sleeves.
>Medium
He didn't look at his hand but kept it anyways, smug as fuck
>Hard
He saw your last game, mulled to 3 and scoops, then after SB he keeps seven.
>Dante must die
He has no sleeves, no playmat and is eating Flamin™ Cheetos. His first play was a foil jungle shrine.

Yeah it's not too unusual for TES lists to sometimes put 1 PiF mainboard as part of a meta call. Cook himself ended up running 1 in the main and 1 in the side for an event over the weekend.

>Red sleeves
Lightning Bolt or Eidolon.

>kept a 7
Street Wraith or Dark Ritual.

>mull to 3, scoop
What in God's name... Lion's Eye Diamond? Dredge maybe?

>no sleeves no playmat Cheetos only Final Destination
Fuck it, Force of Will

>Red sleeves.
Not really enough to go by. Could honestly be anything in my store but I guess you're insinuating he's playing burn so Goblin Guide or Bolt.
>He didn't look at his hand but kept it anyways, smug as fuck
Probably on Manaless Dredge so Street Wraith maybe. Weird longshot is Belcher and name Belcher.
>He saw your last game, mulled to 3 and scoops, then after SB he keeps seven.
Well what the fuck are we playing then where he's seen our deck and then scoops hard on 3 and goes to SB? I dunno, i'd probably name FoW.
>He has no sleeves, no playmat and is eating Flamin™ Cheetos. His first play was a foil jungle shrine.
Jungle Shrine? I dunno some weird ass Naya hatebears? Fuck it, Gaddock Teeg or Lightning Helix.

>Red sleeves.
I use red sleeves and I play Storm. So probably Force of Will.
>He didn't look at his hand but kept it
Gitaxian Probe.
>mulled to 3 and scoops, then after SB keeps seven
Force of Will
>He has no sleeves, no playmat and is eating Flamin™ Cheetos. His first play was a foil jungle shrine.
Tarmogoyf.

>red sleeves
Force of will. Sleeve color don't mean shit and I'm on combo.
>no look 7
Gitaxian probe. Its manaless and I don't want him seeing my hand.
>mull and scoop, then keep 7
Thorn of amethyst. He probably mulled aggressively to find hate and didn't, and now he's boarded and found his hate. A blue deck wouldnt have to mull that hard. Thorn is actually harder to deal with than chalice post board so we name that.
>flaming hot cards
Name thalia. clearly he's playing naya lands with main deck thalia.
I'd actually just dive over the table and start slapping his shit.

Yesterday i was playing enchantress vs red painter. and lost a game because he killed me with jaya ballard before he lose to RIP+Helm draw.

10 minutes after i realized i could have won if i had casted the humility i had on my hand

Shit happens sometimes

So I finished this pile of trash and took it to legacy night. I ended up splitting for first, but it was only 3 rounds. I played against modern bogles (lol), miracles, and Death and Taxes. Against DnT we split, but played for fun. I took it 2-0. He misplayed in game 1 and it cost him the game, but I won pretty handily in game 2.

Creatures:
4x Vampire Hexmage
4x elvish Spirit-Guide

Spells:
4x Sylvan Scrying
4x Crop Rotation
2x Into the North
3x Thoughtseize
3x Duress
3x Not of This World
2x Toxic Deluge
3x Pithing Needle
4x Lotus Petal

Lands:
4x Dark Depths
4x Thespian's Stage
3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2x Bayou
1x Overgrown Tomb (don't judge)
4x Polluted Delta
1x Snow-Covered Swamp
1x Snow-Covered Forest
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Maze of Ith
1x Sejiri Steppe
1x Ghost Quarter

Sideboard:
4x Sphere of Resistance
3x Abrupt Decay
3x Surgical Extraction
2x Life From the Loam
2x Choke
1x Pithing Needle

This deck is legit. I'm definitely going to keep playing it and testing it in other matchups. Let me know if y'all have any questions.

How do you beat someone removing your depths by surgical or similar effects?

Why not play verdant catacombs? And you could probably play blooming marsh instead of the tomb.

DRS might be worth slotting

I've been playing around with some Nic Fit lists, what do you guys think about going Jund and using Tunnel Ignus to punish my opponents for going for the Explorer search?

I don't. I suppose I could put a living wish in the deck, and move a Depths to the SB, but I don't know if that's really worth it. Depths only hits the graveyard after I already have a 20/20, or if they use Wasteland. I have the MD Pithing Needles for those.

Blooming marsh would definitely be playable. Verdant Catacombs is expensive, and I can't justify buying them.

Seems bad. You don't want to be playing tunnel snake before you therapy-vet-therapy since you want to do hat asap generally. And most decks don't have enough basics to really take advantage of it, so you might only get a bit of value out of the guy. What else would make red worthwhile? Maybe magus of the moon? BBE? Seems like too many hoops to jump through for not enough gain.

Fair enough. Budget is real. My bro built that before it hit the big time cause he's poor and wanted a real legacy deck. Has served him well.

I was thinking mostly for Huntmaster, actually. I guess it might be too slow.

>The deck that plays titans and thragtusk
>Huntsmaster is too slow

Honestly give it a go. Might turn out great. I'd guess BBE works depending o how much of your list is removal

I was more thinking the Ignus Vet Therapy combo might be too slow/cute, Huntmaster is a great 4 for Pod.

because its a fucking tripfag who does this every fucking time with the legacy threads, derailing them into oblivion

GP in my town this weekend. Not playing the main event, just sides. Probably playing infect or br reanimator. Looking to snag some deals on some foils[/foils]

*namefag
The tripfags we had before the last thread were fine, there was like 4 of them and for the most part they drove discussion as best as they could along with the other namefags. The whole point of names at the beginning of this was just to show what deck you were playing, nothing more, and for a long time it pretty much stayed that way.

Again, none of this was actually a problem until last thread when Folded, Lands and Chinaman started shitting up the thread. It was still cancer when we just had namefags talking about decks but it has always been a far more tolerable cancer than the shit that goes down in the Modern thread.

You know that guy is only here to stir shit up. The other tripfags seem to be behaving themselves, for now.

I wish I had time to play paper Magic. Going to Japan for Christmas though and I'm debating whether or not to pack a deck or two.