/5eg/ - D&D 5th Edition General

Failed Geology Edition

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Last thread
>Thread Question
What are you hoping for out of next week's Fighter UA? What are you disappointed/realistically expecting?

Other urls found in this thread:

theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Diamond pickaxe.

8 INT Wizards

You can play a wizard with 8 intelligence or a sorcerer with 8 charisma and still cast spells. This is part of the design of the game. Since there are spells that don't require saves or attack rolls, the spellcaster can still function and contribute to the party despite having a low ability score in their spellcasting stat.

woah woah woah
slow down there buddy
im gonna explain to you whats wrong with that idea right this second and youre gonna just sit there and listen

Fuck why was I in this thread all day.

I'm not really sure what I want for a fighter UA but I'm really excited for it, I personally think fighters have a great potential for veritility.

okay but why do that when you can just have a good int stat

easy

>spoilering the starter image
At least it's not that stupid fucking catgirl PDF.

As for the fighter UA: I fully expect some sort of warlord subclass. Barring that: some Tome of Battle-style subclasses.

>What are you disappointed/realistically expecting?
something that steps on the toes of another class WAY too much, i dont know too much about older editions but i'm sure they'll bring an older fighter esque class into a subclass

Why have strength when you could just have a good dexterity stat?

could a level 3 fighter solo a kobold den?

If its like all the other UAs it will be a Nature type fighter and an Undead hunter.

Only with a Diamond Pickaxe and 8 int.

So are we going to get a Fighter subclass that can use psionic power to attack with strength and a new fighting style that involves attacking with diamond weapons?

Hopefully not, I'm not really into nature and we already have a shit tonne of Anti undead/fiend stuff.

Depends on how many kobolds and how much he chases them through their tunnels.

i'm hoping for something that gives us some face stuff. i like flashy fighters

8 kobolds
they each have 8 int according to the MM
they would throw rocks with their slings at a distance, so if the fighter had diamond armor/shield/weapon he would be fucked imo

An Eldritch Knight who rolled 6 18s and somehow has full plate and knows battle maneuvers.

Also, he's a variant human, 'cause he has both GWF and GWM.

Did I miss anything?

MORE BATTLE MASTER MANEUVERS

FOR RANGED AND MELEE

this thread is starting great, i'm proud of you guys.

>party fights one stronk monster
>buzzsaw its nuts off by focus firing it
>party fights multiple weak monsters
>easily slice them up because they're too fucking weak
>party fights multiple midlevel monsters
>monsters can never hit because they don't have a high enough bonus
I give up trying to balance encounters. From this point onward every fight is against five ancient black dragons

>they each have 8 int

Shit nigga watch out for those kobold wizards

i'm thinking of making an orc wizard, how will having 6 INT affect me?

What do I want? I want a fighter archetype that revolves around having a free hand for grappling/shoving. Make the dueling style worth while.

What am I expecting? a Wis based 1/3rd caster archetype based on druids/fey magic, and another fucking superiority dice archetype.

They each can cast magic missile, so in the first round you get destroyed by 24d4 + 24 (84) damage.

Eldritch Knight is probably the tomeiest of battle they'll get. I'd like a sword sage but that will probably be a whole class in the PHB 2 or something. I'm hoping for: warlord, gladiator, duelist.

You should be able to cast spells just fine and since your ability stats don't have any influence on your characterization you can also be an actual genius who's just kinda bad at knowledge skills sometimes

Dueling is already worthwhile. You get a damage boost while doing sword-and-board, which has a great feat for a bonus action shove and better defense against AoEs.

Dwarves, how do you do them and what have you done with them?

Just stick to utility spells and rituals and you're golden.
This but unironically.

i threw one once

Free weapon and armor proficiency means you can make an abjuration wizard and be moderately tanky. Of course you can also go with cleric or druid and get wisdom and more hit points. The new forge cleric is tailor made for hill dwarves.

Eh. Sword and Board is cool, but I'd rather Grab and Stab.

With a step-stool. The Bearded Tango.

you missed his 60 lit torches he drops around him every turn with his item interaction

You gotta build considering your party strengths and weaknesses. And never ever use a lone monster unless it has legendary actions and the like. Also, how many fights do they have per day? If it's only 1 or 2 it'll always be much easier than expected, since they won't have to conserve resources. What's your party composition?

Dwarves are awesome as fuck, who else can add double proficiency to history checks relying on stone? Also, if you role an 18, you get to start with 20 con, for maximum HP.

Plus, gives you proficiency with a couple of martial weapons, assuming you don't have any, I honestly love the stout bastards.

Use tactics and maneuvers other than attack.

I'd say a wizard with 8 Int is definitely a certain kind of genius. Take the Keen Mind feat while you're at it too, just to drive things home.

A rogue with expertise in history could add double their proficiency to any check, not just stonework.

Y'all are seriously taking this Wizard with 8 int thing seriously, just happens to be the only of those three arguments I missed.

'cause honestly, a wizard with 8 int has been done before, just don't choose shit with saves or spell attacks.

And what would that loser look like?

Yeah, but who gives a shit about anything else that isn't stonework, wasted proficiency in my opinion.

Let's put it this way, what can we infer Dwarven society is like purely from their statistics?

Going to play a ghostwise halfling revised ranger. Dual-wielding with bounty hunter background and a wolf companion.

Any suggestion for stat array? (27-point buy)
Currently looking at...
STR: 8 DEX: 15(+2) CON: 13 INT: 12 WIS: 13(+1) CHA: 12

With the first ASI, I'll end up with...
STR: 8 DEX: 18 CON: 14 INT:12 WIS: 14 CHA: 12

This way I won't be totally inept during social interaction, since our group like to separate while gathering information.

>Monk, ranged fighter, bard, rogue, druid
I do give monsters legendary actions, but these motherfuckers just annihilate everything. Took down a spirit naga at 4th level and didn't even break a sweat.
The rogue always gets a fucking sneak attack, because monsters have shit perception.
The monk, bard and druid wade into combat and just wail on whatever the biggest thing is
And the ranged fighter absolutely blows everything away.
I've seen people say that this system has HP bloat, but I literally can't fathom what their ideal system would look like. Monsters literally never stand a chance in ANY combat that's not twice the recommended EXP thresh hold minimum

>playing a Dwarf in both PotA and SKT
>dwarven stonework literally everywhere
>keep asking DM for info about locations and shit
>always get it because dwarf
feels good

i feel you, i ran LMoP with 2 PCs and i had to max the hit dice totals for HP because otherwise they would steamroll every encounter, a lot of fun though

a c t i o n
e c o n o m y

It seems you gotta step up your game, user. I can't fathom monks and druids having that high of an AC that monsters become unable to hit. And how many encounters per day, again? Cause you know, the recommended per day is 6~8 medium encounters. Use more casters or give monsters some innate spellcasting. A fireball will usually fuck things up, but then again you have a rogue and a monk which both get Evasion at 7th level...

Mountain dwarf society always wears armor everywhere. All clothing is actually just stylish armor, even for women and children. There is no sewing or tailoring, only smithing.

>but then again you have a rogue and a monk which both get Evasion at 7th level...
Oh shit.
We're about to hit 7th level.
Can somebody please help me design a not shit encounter?

Well first we look at the dwarven statistics, they probably live in stone housing or stone cities, depending whether we're talking about hill, mountain or grey dwarves, their cities are either carved into mountain side or built using stone, duergar obviously are surrounded by stone, but the fact that they get double proficiency should say that they also use it in construction purposes and whatnot.

Also, they're somewhat resilliant, they prefer hammers and some axes over most weapons, seeing how even a dwarven Wizard can use a fucking warhammer shows that they probably favor using melee fighting over other forms, might mean they teach their children to use axes and hammers early on.

Not sure what dwarven resilience entails, the poison resistance could come from the fact that they drink alot? Not sure.

The dark vision I've always attributed to magical races, but I guess if they live inside mountainsides and inside stone villages it might mean limited light exposure inside their house, since their usually won't be any cracks in the walls or ceiling, outside of doors and windows no light would enter.

We can go further for each subrace but fuck that, dwarves are awesome in general.

A Beholder with lots of tanky minions.

>Mountain dwarf society always wears armor everywhere. All clothing is actually just stylish armor, even for women and children. There is no sewing or tailoring, only smithing.

Except they get light and medium armor proficiencies, which have more to do with skinning and tanning leather than metalworking for armor. At most you have scale mail, chainmail, breast-plate, and half-plate for metalworking.

Stop using stats from the Monster Manual / DMG.

>hrm my party hits everything every time
>okay I'm going to use ARMORED enemies now

>hrm these creatures never hit the party because their AC is too high
>okay I'm going to use creatures that can aim worth a dick or cast spells

Adding more creatures instantly makes any fight tougher, because

creative uses for sovereign glue?

On an Immovable Rod shoved up another PC's asshole

thats a bit too creative

Dwarves have Darkvision because they live in caves and that's just what you give races that live in caves now. Elves have it because they live in forests and OOH IT'S REAL DARK BECAUSE THE CANOPY IS THICK.

At least, that's what 5E says.
The REAL reason Dwarves have Darkvision is because they used to have INFRAVISION and that got removed. That's right, Dwarves were literally the fucking Predator. They could also manipulate their own body temperature to hide from other heat-seeing enemies underground.
And Elves used to have Low-Light Vision but that also got removed.

>Not sure what dwarven resilience entails, the poison resistance could come from the fact that they drink alot? Not sure.

I think they can stomach things most people cannot. I chalk it up to being able to eat nearly anything, including rotten food. Authentic dwarven brew I imagine is considered a poison by other races. Then again, I like my dwarves as generally stubborn, ugly, gold obsessed, hairy creatures.

>The dark vision I've always attributed to magical races, but I guess if they live inside mountainsides and inside stone villages it might mean limited light exposure inside their house, since their usually won't be any cracks in the walls or ceiling, outside of doors and windows no light would enter.

I like the imagery of Dwarven homes and cities being crazy dim as fuck. Like everything is mood lighting.

Thank you very much.

This. Feel free to mix things up, be inventive with your monsters.

In one campaign, my party were cutting down zombies left and right until they got to the abandoned armoury and came face to face with two zombies wearing splint-plate body armour. Going from AC8 zombies to AC17 zombies caught the players by suprise and they had to try other tactics than they had been using thus far.

It's kind of annoying because heat vision makes so much more sense than just being able to see in an environment with no visible light.

>They could also manipulate their own body temperature to hide from other heat-seeing enemies underground.

wait what? Never heard of this.

One of the most brutal additions I've had to most fights is usually a Caster.

Giving access to counterspell can really dampen the blow of the party, and spells such as a level 5 Blindness can really fuck the party and doesn't take concentration. Slow likewise is incredibly effective against players.

One thing I picked up from Veeky Forums food culture threads is that due to their high constitution, natural poison resistance, and tendency to have awfully clogged sinuses/lungs/throats from all of the stone dust and mining debris, dwarven food is INCREDIBLY saturated with spice and flavor. Made with things that are borderline hazardous and very much an acquired taste for other races. A common dwarf is one that calls others' food bland and carries the rough equivalent of a Tabasco bottle to sprinkle on damn near everything they eat; some really vile powered mushrooms.

lol. For starters, the rogue needs some sort of cover to be able to hide from the monsters. He needs to break line of sight somehow, but then again he gets sneak attack if another dude is close to the target anyway. For the ranged fighter, you need encounters in closed spaces or fast creatures that can get on his face. Several enemies that can steal actions from the PCs (like giant spiders restraining with their webs) also make a big difference. It'd be nice if you could give us some more details, specially their subclasses.

But an idea is that, well, they killed a Spirit Naga, but it comes back in 1d6 days. Now it wants revenge on the players and brings some allies, maybe a Giant Constrictor Snake and a couple of Giant Poisonous Snakes, maybe a couple of Yuan-ti Purebloods. Either way, even if they win, the Naga can keep. coming. back. And it can keep tracking them down, it's obsession for vengeance growing ever stronger. Nagas can make for great villains, because you literally cannot destroy them until you reach level 17.

How do we make the bladesinger into a good class? While it may look good on paper, bladesingers are notoriously weak in combat.

If that happens it pretty much confirms that's going to be the next adventure path.

Trillions of neutrinos pass through every square foot of the planet each second. These charged particles propagate through solid matter at speeds greater than the speed of light in that matter, giving off a faint surface glow (Cerenkov radiation). The wavelength of this light is beyond the visual range of all creatures but those with Darkvision.

Unrelated, but fun fact:
Dwarves have an extra type of cone cells in their eyes that allow them to see more shades of orange/yellow/red than other races. They're all tetrachromats.

really? i've never heard anything but good things about them. where do they fail? i'm gonna guess it's the hit die

>THE FEYWILD IS BEING INVADED BY SHADOWS
>ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DRUID TO RESCUE THE FEYWILD?
screenshot this shit

People probably ban them as a reaction rather than having a good look at the class.
The low hit dice is definitely a reason as is the fact they don't get war magic but an extra attack.

Shhh. Your actual knowledge of 5e and its design will interrupt the circle jerk and hilarious new memes. Then how will we remind each other that we're the cool kids because we know Minecraft is a thing that exists?

LEt's make it happen.

Just because I know that's what it's going to be doesn't mean I want it to happen. Fey suck ass. Any time I think I've got a DM with even the slightest inclination of using fey at any point, I seek out ANY fucking object made of cold iron, even if it's just a pocket watch, so I can garrote the first winged fuck to show up.

>speeds greater than the speed of light
Neutrinos do not go faster than the speed of light. Neutrinos have mass so they *can't* go faster than light, by definition. There are a few specific models that may allow for them to go faster than light but no such observations have been made (the one that made the news was found to be erroneous).

It brought the "not at my (imaginary) table" fags out in droves. If we could have gotten them to REEEEEE into a turbine together Veeky Forums could have gone carbon neutral.

I have legitimately run this campaign already. Party was two Druids, a Barb, a Ranger, and an Ancients paladin.

Only one of them was a bad enough druid. The other druid was just bad.

Interesting, but neutrinos are uncharged, and cherenkov radiation is actually due to the high energy secondary particles created after a neutrino interaction. Cherenkov glow is actually visible to the naked eye, for example in nuclear reactor pools. Neutrino interactions are so rare that giant underground detectors have very low count rates.

>speeds greater than the speed of light IN THAT MATTER

Bruh can you read?

>While electrodynamics holds that the speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant (c), the speed at which light propagates in a material may be significantly less than c. For example, the speed of the propagation of light in water is only 0.75c. Matter can be accelerated beyond this speed (although still to less than c) during nuclear reactions and in particle accelerators.

Show us on the doll where the Fairy touched you.

I missed three words. My b.

The last refuge of a nerd losing an online argument is just to insist that as a Dungeon Master they would veto and punish anyone who dared try that at their game table.

It's an induced charge because of shit in the atmosphere and Ao.

What? Neutrinos have no charge. When they collide with nuclei the reaction gives off energetic charged secondary particles, which have an initial velocity higher than the speed of light in let's say water, which gives off the cherenkov radiation.

Also, the bladesinger can nova for 2 minutes per short rest, but if you want to main that you'd be in trouble.

Man what part of magic and induction don't you understand

So what happen when my revised ranger ride his companion as a mount?

1) I wasted Natural Explorer, since I have to move during my companion's initiative order
2) My companion's initiative order move to match mine

Also can I switch between controlled mount and independent mount mode?

As a DM I'd say roll initiative for you or the mount (Whichever has a lower modifier) and you both use it, taking turns at the same time if mounted or one after the other if not.

>>party fights one stronk monster
>>buzzsaw its nuts off by focus firing it
You might want to look at this article, it worked out for me when I tried it
theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/

>theangrygm

Say I want to make bards half casters instead of full casters. What could I give them in place of full caster spell progression?

>shepherd ranger literally made for the firbolg

After all the shit going down in Tennessee I want to play a Firbolg druid that was seperated from his tribe when a giant forest fire broke out suddenly and unexpectedly. His primary goal during the fire was trying to save as many of the woodland creatures as he could. Unfortunately many of them died despite his efforts. But their spirits are still with him to this day.

Now if only I could stop being a forever DM.

fug, I meant shepherd druid*