40k Books

For someone not "deep" into 40k lore, what books would you recomend to put on a Christmas list?

"How to fuck an Inquisitor" By Ciaphas Cain.

15 hours
any space marine novel, it's not meant to be deep but hardcore purging action with dudes made for war
death world, rebel winter, ice guard or gunheads for more guard books
gaunts ghosts is also good, eisnerhorn is alright

Is "Faith and Fire" any good?

Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Gaunt's Ghosts, pretty much anything by Dan Abnett.

Is that Jervis?

I second this, Ciaphas Cain models are 10/10 and imo normie compatible. He has lots of secks and doesn't take the setting too seriously.

Couple omnibuses probably would be your best bet. Maybe Last Chancers, Imperial Guard or Eisenhorn.

Cain has so many fate points that even Fateweavers are green with envy.

Baneblade was fun
Any of the standalone stories are usually fun becausr they drop you right into the story. Dont start with the horus heresy. Its 55 books deep or something

Anything by Dan Abnett or Sandy Mitchell are good bets. It's also worthwhile going through the beginning of the Horus Heresy series, although some of those are pretty badly written. It really helps you understand the setting, particularly with the upcoming direction of the game.

Baneblade by Guy Haley.
Deathwatch by Steve Parker
Cadian Blood/Ragnar/Helsreach/Night Lord trilogy by ADB

Is Gaunts Ghost Meme good or actual Good?

It's good. Not my kind of writing since he spends age on descriptions of surroundings, but the action is still top notch. Be careful to take his fluff with a grain of salt though.

If you're not acquainted with 40k, it's really good to start with. The way he describes the guardsmen make it easy to get a picture of how they function because you can compare them to real life soldiers. It reads like a Matthew Reilly book, except way more descriptive and much, much darker.

Wich ones involving Tau are worth it?

Fire Caste was solid

Execution Hour

eisenhorn is the pinnacle of 40k literature. first few horus hersey books are ok, the space wolves omnibus is ok. ive read most 40k books and couldnt really recomend any of the others

Talon of Horus
Emperor's Gift
Basically anything by ADB and those two were not mentioned yet.

Still, for a new 40k BL reader I'd recommend Eisenhorn.

No. Sisters of battle can't have nice things. Try pic related really good short stories.

Baneblade was fun. Looking forward to reading Shadowsword at some point.

Also, while I wouldn't recommend starting with it, the Enforcer trilogy is a good read and focuses on the Imperium away from any warzones. Included within are conniving nobles, inter-agency conflict, psychic weirdness and a rogue trader dynasty with some questionable plans. Also, a reasonable quantity of shock mauls to the face.

Nice try, ADB. Keep your heretical fanfictions away from the impressionable young Neophytes.

hijacking this shit, but good woolf elf/high elf books?

I really liked The Sundering. It's mostly Dark/High Elves.

This looks fucking amazing. Why have I not heard of it?

just bought it. 5 pound from amazon.

Also literally the best portrayals of various SoB for my money in book form.

Helsreach is a good story and it does introduce you to Space Marines and how they view the civvies as well as their way of thinking. Space Marine by Ian Watson is also good for this.

Like others said Ciaphas Cain is a great series, may be a bit repetetive but its fun enough for that to be forgivable, its fun, it takes the setting seriously enough while being humorous and entertaining.

Quick correction its Jurgen, not Jervis. That being said i had to look that up to be sure.

fucking retarded chainswords ho are they supposed to cut anything deeper than half an inch???

That's actually the Chain Club version. The supply officer is just really shit at his job and ordered the wrong thing.

regimental standard recommends to use them as a club

i think i could actually build a chain sword that works. would there be a market for that?

pdf's please?

Beast arises series

pdfs please

Abnett's top dog, more or less. Anything by him is going to be good.
In particular, the Eisenhorn and Ravenor Trilogies are great Inquisition stories that show what the setting looks like outside the warzones.
Gaunt's Ghosts is a good standard-issue Guard story.
Ciaphas Cain is quite enjoyable, though I must admit they get a little samey when in omnibus form.
If you want some hot Space Marine on Space Marine action/an intro to the Horus Heresy, Horus Rising, False Gods and Galaxy in Flames form a neat trilogy that serves a decent jumping off point for any other HH story. I liked "Rising" the best (it was Abnett's, natch), but they're all at least decent.

Well the Man at Arms guys did make a chain sword but it looked like it was to heavy to swing, not to mention its used a chainsaw motor so the weight was off.

That being said I can imagine a fuckload of people wanting one (including me) especially if you can make it light enough to swings somewhat easily. You might want to get them to sign a waiver though.

None of them. Get something better, instead. Like Dune, or Foundation.

no i mean a chainsword you can actually cut a guy in two with not one that gets stuck on the side shields.

yeah it would be ac inlet powered (or backpack apc powered) or too heavy to wield.

the trick is you either have to use two chains or a special caret and chain.

I am sure that there would be plenty of people happy with a backpack powered one. If you could keep the price near whatever swords cost i'm sure that there would be some people who would get a chainsword instead of a regular one.

Night Lords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden are great books focused on a chaos warband where the characters are fleshed out and not murderhobos. But they are still horrendous people

Look for the book "Death Watch: Xeno Hunters" good shit its a bunch of short stories of Death Watch kills teams where the marines actually use the acid spit or they run into tyranid kroot

Titanicus and Double Eagle were pretty solid. The interpersonal conflicts of the Titan crews and pilots gave a pretty compelling tale and the action was rather engaging.