Character Art Thread: The Cyber Police Are Coming

Police, fire fighters, and medics from Cyberpunk and general Sci-Fi.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o2Q6AwrGUkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gMYNfQlf1H8
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killology
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's all I have. Stay safe out there.

Cyber-army ?

jesus christ how horrifying

This is so well drawn but her outfit is just ridiculous. I mean look at those shoes! Are you goin' to church bitch?

Anyone got any cyber necromancers or cyber dark wizards?

pic related

>gud taste in /v/

nope

I think the joke is that those shoes are what policewomen in Japan wear.

Fucking Neo Toyoko was the sicks shit ever
NSF > JINRAI

The problem with a lot of post future/cyberpunk stuff is its outdated, lost in the design sensibilities of the 80s and 90s, becoming no better than cogfop in the process.

Police militarization has peaked with a lot of push back against heavily armed masked goonsquads. Meanwhile, theories on how to effectively police or occupy a civil center have changed dramatically in recent years thanks to the war on terror providing a practical lesson we had forgotten since Vietnam.

Take for instance the face. In most cyberpunk art the face of the cop is concealed, partially for protection but mostly to convey authority, threat, and oppression. Any good paramilitary civil security consultancy firm will tell you this is a bad idea. Dehumanizing officers makes us vs them easier. Its much easier, unless you've been reflex trained like modern soldiers are, to shoot someone when you cannot see their face. Without reflexive threat drilling, shooting to kill someone is actually very difficult, which is why armies began to adopt it after WW2 (also coincidentally why soldiers make very bad police forces)

A future cop will have a visible face thanks to a retracting or see through face plate. Their full name will be prominent on their uniform. Their uniform will be in neutral but traditional colors, practical but not threatening, with design hallmarks that call back to traditional police uniform designs.

The future is not gritty and neon anymore. It's pastel, brightly lit. Ergonomic with the edges sanded off. Police will be well equipped and high tech baby sitters, armed with less than lethal tools for the rare occasion when the built in safeguards against your personal freedom to fuck shit up actually aren't enough to stop you from breaking the law. Theft? Wat money will you steal, it's all virtual now chummer. Hack it? Sure but government spiders will be there to counter and hunt you down

Cars will be automatically controlled and will be able to be shut down or controlled by the govt, remotely.

People will be kept placated by doled out food and virtual entertainment. Bread and circuses and standardized education for everyone

Dont believe me? Go all the way back to RoboCop. The good one.

He is purposely designed to have a visible face, unlike the ED 209 unit. His frame is sleek and neutral steel colored to suggest strength, but not be overly aggressive. His weapon os CONCEALED inside his thigh so it cannot be seen unless he uses it. Despite its inefficiency he is 100% human like in design, with great pains taken to make him presentable. Glances at OCPs eventual plans for a complete Detroit 2.0 show us what is effectively an arcology where the citizens needs will all be taken care of by the corp, from food and entertainment to transportation and work. A very prophetic film, and important in the cyberpunk genre.

Oni was the shit. I used to cheat and crank up enemies thoughness to give me more of a challange.

Police in corporate enclaves will probably be like you describe. Police in slum areas will be in outdated military gear like contractors in Iraq during the early 2000s. Face will be covered during raids to mask the officers identity.

Yeha that's true, with privatization comes lowest bidder contractors!

Future sci-fi-tier cop cars.

>Any good paramilitary civil security consultancy firm will tell you this is a bad idea. Dehumanizing officers makes us vs them easier.

Really? Is that true?

Not him, and I don't know is sources. Studies on what effect the concentration camps had on the guards though shows that the guards would typically stop seeing their prisoners as human beings. Dehumanization of the prisoners was an important facet in allowing the guards to mentally cope with their working conditions.

There's something to be said for oppressive face masks from a visual metaphor point of view, though.

The tongue is the weak spot. I remember that movie. Cybercity Oedo was top notch too.

Anyone got the pic of that ragged-looking black professor?

Lost it somewhere and I need it.

Good points. The psychology of warfare and public relations are more important to police forces than any cool guns or armor.

why the fuck is that guy using the rifle from killzone 2

>Cybercity Oedo
Wrong one. The one with the Cybord who only had a tongue, specifically the one in the pic, was AD Police Files

Cybercity Oedo is the one with the infamous "Gaddam Vampire" line
youtu.be/o2Q6AwrGUkQ

Are there any cyberpunk sailors?

I imagine you mean the sea-faring sorts but having been in the navy you wouldn't really see any sort of high tech uniforms being used by them.

Tech wise, an exo-skeleton or a loader like the one from Alien would be what you would see being used as it makes getting food, stores, and mail being moved on the ship a lot easier then the chain-gangs of undesignated (if on a carrier or something eqully large or everyone if smaller) being used to do it.

Otherwise things would stay the same. I guess you could have some kind of high tech cold weather gear when you have to stand watch when it's freezing but that's it.

Yeah, an exo-loader would make a stores onload go a lot better. Mostly I just wondered if anyone would depict FR coveralls correctly. Opinions on the Type III NWU?

>Opinions on the Type III NWU?

More shit to buy and replace. Glad I don't have to deal with that shit anymore.

bump

>"Do you hear the people sing? Singing the song of angry men. It is the music of the people who do not have augments."

Concealing the face is also a good way to protect the officer in their off time, and their families. The Mexican military uses digital pattern facepaint and doesn't have name tags on their uniform precisely because it makes identifying any individual impossible, specifically to foil the cartels. In a dark setting, police can't afford to be identified individually.

What's that from?

It's probably a Le Mis quote and I'm showing myself as a cultureless prat.

>Implying Veeky Forums as a whole arn't uncultured swine in suits

Don't sell yourself short. You are in the company of fellows.

It's a song the revolutionaries sing in Les Mis, days after their politician-to-be dies.

Your picture reminded me of them because of all the badges and pauldrons and stuff she's wearing, which made me think of a crazy mix between Les Mis and Deus Ex; Deus Ex Miserables.

In all seriousness, it's a bretty good song. You should probs check it out.

youtube.com/watch?v=gMYNfQlf1H8

What the fuck was ever his problem!? Self pitying cuck.

Yo, starting a game of Eclipse Phase and I need whatever pictures of dudes in armor of the sci-fi variety you have.
Bonus points if said dudes are packing some serious firepower.

fantasy armor abides by the most fictional of scientific laws

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killology

There's whole fields of study about this but essentially what they found was during WW2 most soldiers found ot very hard to shoot to kill their enemies. You have to either dehumanize your enemy. Or train so that your actions become reflexive. The less you have to think about killing, the better you are at it.