D&D 3.5e General /3.5G/

The Thread last week was quite entertaining.
'I am prepping for this weeks game right now and it's nice to have people to bounce ideas off on'-Edition

Question of the Day: What are the best (and worst) playable races not in the PHB?

>LINKS3.5 Book Trove
dnd.rem.uz/3.5 D&D Books/

>Hypertext SRD
d20srd.org/index.htm

>Various useful Utilities
jtevans.kilnar.com/rpg/dnd/tools/index.php

>More useful stuff
donjon.bin.sh/

>Huge bunch of fantasy name generators
fantasynamegenerators.com/#fantasyNames

>Underpowered/Niche Mechanics?

What's your favorite niche mechanic?
Incarnum
Binders
Truenamers
something else?

Discuss!

better if you get an indrect link for the manuals.

> What are the best (and worst) playable races not in the PHB?
best/worst in which sense?

>best/worst in which sense?
How ever you want to take it.
Want to bitch about players who want to play a good drow, or if you want to complain about something else entirely, maybe a race with worthless (or op) abilities.

best race
>kender
why?
>I hate my DM and my group

>'I am prepping for this weeks game right now and it's nice to have people to bounce ideas off on'
I happen to be doing this, probably not gaming THIS week, but same idea

so far I have a start, a finish, and a couple-three things along the way.

how do you figure challenge rating for an NPC with class levels?

They should be the same as their HD, or not?
A 4th level human barbarian is a CR 4 for standard group of pc?

that doesn't seem to track though...

that and unless something happens weird or wonderful, I'll have a party of 3 instead of the traditional 4

so far I have a lineup of "bosses" for the combat sections being an angry druid, a pair of dire wolves, and either a water elemental or a pair of Giant Crabs.

Levels in associated PC classes are 1:1 CR,
non-associated PC class levels as well as all NPC classes are 1 CR per 2 Level.

Examples:
6th lvl Barbarian = CR6
4th lvl Barbarian / 2nd lvl Paladin = CR6
6th lvl Warrior = CR3
8th lvl Warrior / 4th lvl Sorcerer = CR6

The last one might seem a bit much, but i can tell you from experience that giving NPCs caster levels rarely increases their combat effectiveness as much as you would think

>8th lvl Warrior / 4th lvl Sorcerer = CR6
shouldn't that be 8?

>caster levels rarely increases their combat effectiveness as much as you would think
isn't the meme that this is caster edition?

oh, and a Necromancer. not a very good one, but a necromancer...

>shouldn't that be 8?
You get CR +4 From 8 Warrior levels and CR +2 from 4 Sorcerer levels, at least how i see it. Estimating CR for things like this isn't a science.
To be honest, this is a kind of bad example because, as i said, i can tell you from experience that less than 2/3 of the player-level in caster levels is rarely worth the hassle.
(Unless you go full DM vs Players and give the Enemies exactly the tools to counter the players, which might be fine every once and again, but not every spellcasting enemy should have the exact spells prepared every time, i think)

It makes sense an associated wizard 6th should be CR6.

so I have a party level 3

one Human Druid-3
one Gnome Rogue-1/Fighter-2
and one Probably Barbarian

think a Dread Necromancer-6 is too much for them?(heroes of Horror) she's going to retreat regardless for story reasons, but in a fair fight is she getting stomped or is she stomping?

A Level 6 Wizard is CR6, yes.
I mainly meant gish-type characters, who both fight and cast spells, when talking about CR.

But i meant it more generally when i said that casters with less than 2/3 the Classes Caster Levels is rarely worth the time you as a DM spend on it.

This would be a very tough fight, You should definitely turn it down a bit, maybe a Dread Necromancer 4 with lots of Skeletons.

this is comming after some sides they might be level 4 by then.

still tough?
bear in mind I have a good reason for the necro to retreat, namely that she's just not hot for fighting, and her teacher died recently, she's trying really hard to beef up her studies and isn't really prepped for combat(dagger, are there stats for a cleaver?), and she also makes a lot excuses for herself, and...basically an evil Mei(see Overwatch)...too much damage and she'll break a little rune and vanish with the undead in the room and stuff.

plus when she runs away it means that there is something after the party chasing them down and acting as a rival for later.

how much do you think a shrewd party member might be able to pawn a reasonably high quality book of Medicine/herbology/alchemical compounding for? assume that guilds limit the release of such information but not strictly.

Isn't CR related to do too much damage or other effect in one turn for a character of a given level to survive? I'd think it would be just a matter of looking at the class/level in question and asking 'could this guy kill someone in one hit - or mostly so'.

Casters are a bit more swingy because bad rolls on saving throws can turn a meh attack in to a party wipe, but that just asks to limit spell use. Mostly staying away from spells that would effect the entire party or at least using them less than optimally just in case.

>is rarely worth the time you as a DM spend on it
I concur

there are lots of factor. like the level of optimization.
the encounter will be really difficult at best. if they have a drop on her and are coordinated, they have some chance.
is she is bent on escaping, go for it. recurring villains are always nice. don't make it obvious for you player that the enemy is not all in.

>like the level of optimization.
not a lot or indeed, almost none
>if they have a drop on her
relatively speaking
>and are coordinated
probably not
>is she is bent on escaping
it's more like the first thing she preps for is escaping.
>don't make it obvious for you player that the enemy is not all in.
for now the script reads
1 >she is startled by the appearance of the party as she is preparing a corpse (in a small observatory for reasons )
2 >undead assistants armed with lab-tools (are there stats for zombie-mods?) join in
3 >combat is brief, her starting HP was only 15(rolled random there)...no armor on her for the first confrontation aside from the DR/2 she's got class feature
4 >once all zombies are gone or she's at less than 5 HP she amscrays
5 >background reasons for things

it seems ok. use one of her boom abilities (like the burst or a third level spell) to remeber them she is dangerous. use contagion for a lasting problematic.
a couple wrong saves for a spell or fear aura means a tpk.

how many zombies? standard humanoid zombies?

>15 HP
Don't count on her escaping, then, and be prepared for the players to kill her.

If you want her to escape give her armor, a +1 Chain Shirt for example would be within reason if there is a loot-less fight before/after.

>Undead Assistants
I would simply change the Damage type if its important, changing the Zombies bludgeoning by Slam into Piercing by Hookhand

>standard humanoid zombies?
is there a race or creature that would be better suited to "zombie lab assistant"?
>how many zombies?
not sure yet might have to tailor it a little to the party based on side-quests on the way.
>use contagion for a lasting problematic.
I need an embarrassing, pain inducing disease I could inflict that a skilled alchemist or druid could fix.

I intend to have her stay back and depend on her powers more than her martial combat ability.

>Don't count on her escaping, then, and be prepared for the players to kill her.
she comes with DR/2 from all sources. and I might have a +1 armor from the working apron if I think she needs it.

>I would simply change the Damage type if its important
that will do for now, BUT I want to play her as an engineering type Necro

a bone-construct made cooking Bacon and eggs in the kitchen
a skeletal servitor with metal reinforcements
a small automatic farming skeleton made from cattle that grinds the wheat as it harvests.
that sort of thing.

but for now, scalpel-clawed Zeds will do.

>DR/2 from all sources
RAW she would still be vulnerable to Bludgeoning and Magic Weapons, so i would assume at least the Druid and Barbarian would be able to overcome that.

>Bludgeoning and Magic Weapons
misread that...makes more sense

dunno which type of zombie you prepared. multilimbs zombies are optimal assistants.
>frankenfran
no more than 3 zombies.
taylor a disease, they are pretty easy to create.
if she intends to run anyway, maybe up her HP a bit. there's always the chance of a triple critical from rogue, barb and druid pet.

I am stuck with the final boss for my dungeon.
The Group is level 9 and i want to end it with a bang.
I would like to do one big, memorable enemy as well as a few cool mooks, but i am kinda stuck.
The ideas i had so far where:

>Giant Half Dragon Snake
+ Pretty Cool
- I already had something very similar in the Dungeon

>Dragon
+Epic
- No room to fly

>Some fuck-huge demon
+ Demons are neat
-I feel like i already overused them

Anyway, do you guys have any cool ideas?
To give an outline of the Area: about 15x15 squares, flat terrain, with only a single, small entrance. This is a pocket dimension/prison type of place, so its a free for all for even weirder combatants.

>dunno which type of zombie you prepared.
none yet, still in the formative stages of the game
>multilimbs zombies are optimal assistants.
I know right? she'll probably be actively working on one when the party gets there

>frankenfran
who?

>no more than 3 zombies.
noted

>taylor a disease, they are pretty easy to create.
explosive womblosis it is, either that or gonoherpasyphilAIDS

>maybe up her HP a bit
I for got to give her the +1 point per level because of constitution.

fraken fran is an obligatory read for Veeky Forums

seems like a very static envin for a boss fight

>fraken fran is an obligatory read for Veeky Forums
media type?

>In a boat with 79 more people they all seem nice
>Only 2 of them are actual friends (party members)
>Have to perform checks on doing chores even though I wanted to pay my passage and do nothing
>Roll Str check
>Fail (dunno the DC)
>"you fail, you're going to be punished"
>Wut?
>"you have to learn how we do things here"
>They try to force me into a small iron cage to spend 24 hours in there without water or food"
>Wut? fuck no
>"You can go there conscious or unconscious, your choice"
>77 member of the crew ready to punch the shit out of me
>We're only 3
>Try my chances on the cage
>"user, why did you agree so easily?!"
Well gee I dunno, you have been hammering on us that we're fucking nothing and we're heavily outnumbered by surprise cunts

Also fucking awesomely handled the chores, literally everything depends on a Attribute Check (we have like +3 at best) and the DC seems to be higher than 13 at least, and everything is decided in a SINGLE one and if you fail you fucking get penalties due exhaustion and other stuff

Thinking on not going back

>manga
better question.

it seems to be licensed
solid site for it?

nexus? mangareader?

seems a shit dm.
crash that boat with no survivors.
did you get alchemist fires and oil?

>who?

>seems like a very static envin for a boss fight
It kind of is, but unfortunately i have already established a fair bit of it.
Of course something could come out of the ceiling or floor, but i couldn't think of anything cool until now.
I have the problem that if i don't have a neat, creative idea at first then thinking hard about it (without further input) doesn't really help with getting that 'leitmotif'.

But i think the damn just broke, at least for the environment: The area will be a platform with a narrow, lowered walkway that provides some cover.
I will also do the half Dragon Snake as the Endboss and change the other Snake around a bit, maybe making it its mate or something.

This now brings on another question: How do i differentiate one battle against a huge death anaconda with lackeys from the other?

...I recognize that ass for now.

Need some clarification. DM and I are in disagreement over this:

>cleric is one square away from undead enemy
>cleric begins his turn by casting a cure wounds spell, takes a 5-foot step toward the enemy and releases the spell as a touch attack

Does the cleric take an attack of opportunity or not? DM believe the cleric is "casting" through the entire turn. We also argued a bit over the reverse situation where the cleric takes a 5-foot step away from an enemy and casts a ranged spell. I'm having trouble convincing him that casting time is fully contained in the standard action and not the movement as well. We're great friends but I don't like arguing with him over this stuff so I'm looking for some clarity.

I reread it and your interpretation is correct.
>Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target.
>You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target.
>Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Pages 140/141 in the PHB.

Don't get overly attached to it though.
Because neither is she.

...I know someone who needs one of those cheeks if she's throwing it out, they had a childhood accident and despite my enjoyment of the ass they have they are insecure about the deep gouge they have on the left...

nice but no 3.5. which game?

it might be 3.5 if you truncated the skills section into the "lore" options.

place I got it from claimed it was 3.5

>Be 2 monstrous hd/barb 4/Hurler 2/Orc Warlord 1
>Get ordered to waaaagh a former wizard tower and either kill or capture a guy delaing with a 200 man garrison
>Go through mountains and lose a few guys
>Setup camp and send scouts to find out weaknesses etc.
>Scouts find a secret back entrance
>Setup explosives at back entrance and when the time comes send out some guys to camp out the back entrance
>Night comes begin the waaaagh
>Throw my wrecking ball at the walls and they instantly crumble the entire tower shakes because i also hit the foundation it was on
>Guys are instantly cowering
>Start tossing soldiers up 60ft cliffs
>Enemy soldiers get so afraid they start fleeing
>Smash in the front gate with my wrecking ball
>Storm of arrows fly out from 45 guys
>Only get hit by 3 with 15 ac
>Throw my weapon with area attack
>Only 4 guys make the reflex save

They turn into a smear on the floor. Turns out my guys grabbed the guy who was by himself fleeing his back entrance he was crying and confused why none of the orcs understood him.

We weren't from this area we came from way to the north

Ultradimensional Purpleworm

buff it up with some magical properties and spell likes and throw it against your paty.