Is this worth picking up?

I love Star Wars and my only tabletop experience is a year of DnD 5e. Is this game any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/doc/278947924/Star-Wars-D-D-5th-Edition-Conversion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you like the D&D 5e here's a link to a Star Wars homebrew that uses 5e system.

scribd.com/doc/278947924/Star-Wars-D-D-5th-Edition-Conversion

I don't want 5e adapted to Star Wars, I want to know if the Star Wars RPG system is any good and if it's fun to play.

It's great, but it's a little hard to grasp if you're jumping from 5e to it, not because the game itself is particularly complex, but more because it's very different. Once you do start to understand it, it's a lot of fun. Probably the best Star Wars rpg out there, and definitely the best one at feeling like Star Wars, rather than a Star Wars flavored version of another system.

It's shitty and overpriced.

d20 Star Wars is better and more fun. Just don't do mixed Jedi and non Jedi parties unless you don't mind being underpowered.

It's definitely an interesting kind of system. Like said, it's got a ton of interesting flavor and the quality of the material is top-notch compared to other RPGs out there. My only major complaint about the system is that the class system is a little too rigid, and it would have been nice to pick your talents in a little more "freeform" way, but if you're used to classes from other systems it'll probably feel very familiar to you. Also, there's a ton of character options hidden away in a ton of supplements, so it can definitely be pricey to get the whole line of books.

Honestly all the hate I see for it here is because of the proprietary dice, which is completely subjective. Personally, I love custom dice in games, and they're not any more expensive than the overpriced Chessex stuff with all the mixed colors and glitter and shit that you see the average fa/tg/guy collect.

>d20 Star Wars is better

...You must mean Saga Edition, because I don't think you actually mean the d20 system where Force powers were skills.

It's fun, but of the three I think Edge of the Empire is the best

Its a great game and complexity-wise it is very on par with D&D5e, which is to say fairly simple, but has lots of depth.

Nope not the Saga Edition. The one where Force powers were skills, yes.

A reaction image is not an argument, user.

It does however, convey his reaction to you're statement.

It's a good system by my account, but I like narrative systems. The Unique dice turn some people off, but I think that's just laziness. After one session you should have the symbols down fine. There are times the mechanics can seem wonky, and combat-wise in general it's middle of the road.

I've played Saga, WEG, and FFG and think they all have their pros and cons. And you really shouldn't run Jedi with non-Jedi unless everyone is fine with ability imbalance. FFG did an OK job balancing them, but it's still wizards in a world of muggles.

The FFG star wars games are all good, though I'd skip the beginner game box and just buy the book for whichever of the three you want.

The biggest imbalance with jedi is more lightsabers than force powers

Lightsabers are only that good in age or edge, in the actual jedi book they're 6 damage which breach, so slightly better than a normal melee weapon unless you have ridiculous strength.

Breach murders people though.

It's a great system for what it is built to do. The dice do take a little bit of getting used to, but once everyone is used to them, they're great, especially with a good GM.

Fair warning: Force-users take a while to get up to speed, since they have an extra thing to spend XP on.

The lightsabers in Force and Destiny can be modified to be exactly the same as the ones in EotE and AoR. And base 6 damage and breach on a weapon that can use any of your attributes is really, really good.

The point is that while lightsabers are OP, the Empire will come down on your ass if anyone sees you with one.

Its a good, modern roleplaying system. Also a lot more 'street level' in that characters aren't impossible to kill, they get slightly more difficult to kill as they get some xp into them, but being shot will still fuck up their day pretty badly.

Not without some tiny niggles as nothings perfect, but the guys over in the /swg thread can help you out if you run into trouble.

>liking force powers as skills star wars
you're an actual monster and fuck you. That system was an abomination.

Yes, but the thing is, igniting a lightsaber in the OT timeline is a good way to get an entire goddamn Star Destroyer barreling in your general direction, probably with two or three Inquisitors on it.
Palpatine is a paranoid motherfucker who doesn't really take many chances when it comes to potential jedi.

Is D&D 5e a good system to use?

I've avoided running D&D since 2003, can't really give you an opinion on anything after that.

I've run all three of them, and here's my answer - it depends.
PROS: Narrative based system means it fits the setting very well, lots of accurate lore summary, high production value for the books, feels balanced and forgiving.
CONS: Proprietary dice (or a conversion chart which is even clunkier) can get annoying, and here's my one big problem with the game - because the combat system is an extension of the narrative-based resolution of everything, combat can feel really repetitive IF your players aren't creative enough.

Example - a PC is in a gunfight with a stormtrooper. Because of how the system is designed, there's not really any statistical difference between the PC staying behind their cover and taking another shot or jumping out of cover, shooting mid-stride and sliding behind another piece. However, unless your players are good at coming up with bullshit movie action setpieces like that, fights can easily degenerate into "okay i shoot the next one" instead of something cool as fuck. It's not a system designed for crunchy, simulation-esque combat is what I'm trying to say.

In this case, no. It's pretty common for people to retrofit something new into another RPG (usually D&D) because it's what they already know, but a lot of them seem to have trouble getting out of that rut afterwards. Learning a new system takes some effort but it'll work out better in the long run.