I-is it worth it to keep going?

I-is it worth it to keep going?
I don't know if I can pull through...

I come bearing a gift, for you. All you need to do is listen and consider my proposal, I can stop the bleeding and heal your wounds. You can see you're wife and child again, you can have the strength to protect your homeland. All I ask of you is to carry my boon, a weapon. With each death it brings, the stronger you will become. Maybe then, you can become the hero that you always wanted to be. You will know no more failure. Without it, your forces will fall, your wife and child taken from their homes, and your body forgotten and rotting away in the mists of time. The choice is yours, make the right choice

... I accept. Give me the strength I need to overcome

>>/qst/

So, this is how a man turns into a Player Character and starts earning EXP?

it's a backstory, yeah

Oh for cryin out loud that's just a flesh wound. Walk it off you gutless Nancy. Back in my day, we had to crawl to the healers tent when we got our legs blown off. 5 miles away. Uphill.

Now quit talking to that Demon and get a move on, this war ain't yet fer you.

Let go, brother, for you are brave, for you are stout. For you are few and far.

Shed your flesh. Abandon your humanity and fall to the deep dark, where no light shines. Here we gather, shoulder to shoulder, side to side. We brave the cold and keep ourselves awake, avoiding the eternal rest men of many words and few actions sought to promise us.

Do this, brother, for there is yet another battle to come. Grow strong outside your prison. Grow wise in this eternity. Do not allow complacency to take root, fan the flames of your rage, instead.

For we are the brave, for we are the stout, for we are the few and the far, and there are no seas and no borders between us, and no names for us to cling to. There is nothing for us to cling to in the dark but each other.

And we will wait, patiently, for the living above to require us once more, and with every battle we win in their stead we will grow ever stronger. And for every man we kill, we will welcome another sibling. Another soul to fight for us, another soul to fight for.

For Death's Dominion holds no power; not in the dreams or the hopes of the dead.

It will be time to teach our ladyship that, one day.

>All PCs earn exp because they accepted a contract with an extraplamar entity
>The deaths of others, as well as deeds that earn them fame and devotion all empower them, as they essentially become tendrils of that planar entity here
>These mortal subcontractors are the only way gods, devils, angels and demons can interact directly with the prime material
>They can only appear before those who stand on the precipice between this world and the next for some reason, such as those on deaths door

I really like this we should build a setting. Its like exalted meets dnd meets berserk

>The virtuous may be approached by angels in much the same way and tasked with doing good or fighting the forces of evil
>Clergy devote their entire lives to gods hoping to one day be chosen
>This makes divine magic legitimately rare/limited as only the heroes of gods can have it
>arcane magic is different however, it is power over and drawn from the material world, though pacts with various spirits may be involved
>This often puts it at antithesis with the divine

>Fighters meanwhile are justified in being able to do weaboo fightan magic bullshit because they are literally empowered by God's or demons or even just by the sheer number of people they've killed in their lives
>Caster supremacy is a thing of the past

One can dream

>implying caster supremacy is a consequence of the lore

No but lore is frequently used as a justification by faggots on Veeky Forums, just look at any 4e thread

Sounds like a really rad setting to both play in and read about.

Always

You know damn well we won't leave anyone behind.

Your sword isn't broken, on your feet. I'll carry you back to camp if I have to!

This sounds amazing
>People on the edge of death are contacted by extraplanar beings, be them gods, demons, or other spirits
>Once a contract is made, these people are servants of these gods, kept alive as their champion
>They gain power by sacrificing life to their contractor as well as earning them fame and glory in the mortal world
>Only other servants can see these beings
>Churches and magical schools alike spend decades training hoping to be chosen by their respective gods
>Basically everyone is magical, even martials

Yeah. Kinda makes things easy as fuck when you assume that as a given. Simplifies everything.

We've had this idea before.

Nice digits. When did "we" have this idea?

Epic get.

Also, verifying this user's comment as true, but with the caveat that it doesn't make it any less awesome and we all know there is nothing new under the sun anyways.

Veeky Forums's a constant recycle of the same shit over and over. is Veeky Forums's get of gets.

>You can see you are wife and child again

What did he mean by this?

No, but when did Veeky Forums have this idea?

I feel like they should be really rare. Something more legendary than anything. A cult might form around trying to be chosen, but not a church so much.

otherwise you start hitting questions of "why isn't everyone chosen? Does this drive more violence in the world, searching for glory" etc

I guess the implication is that religions are formed around worship of spirits and becoming a chosen, but more or less they aren't, mainly because a person must be near another world (the afterlife/the fae/ect) for them to be contacted by a spirit.

This.

"Casters make physics their bitch, martials just swing a piece of metal around lol"

Wouldn't martials and casters be basically around the same power level in this setting though?

You got anything better to do right now?

That question alone is how my dad has gotten through most hardships in life, including getting shot.