Adversary MTG

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Adversary is a custom MTG format based around custom Vanguard-esque cards, like pic related.
>150+ custom Adversaries across three modular sets.
>Pitch your own Adversary ideas and add to that number.
>Active if slightly small community.
>Experimental League utilizing Adversary cards and unique weekly rewards.

All of the rules, cards and players now congregate in this Discord server, which you should be able to access in your browser without creating an account.

discord.gg/XeXZeJV

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Buluphont/AdversaryCombined/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you'd like to take a look at things like the rules without popping into the Discord, click here.

github.com/Buluphont/AdversaryCombined/

>7/7/1/7
>1 poster

I'm just bumping with Adversary cards to keep the Discord link visible for longer. That's the main purpose of the thread.

Looks neat. Will check it out sometime later.

at first glance this one is obscenely broken cause your allowed to play ad nauseam with it according to the banlist

Interesting. Nice catch.

Cool
Broken, Poison and Mill autolose
Broken, burn autoloses
Very nice
LegendaryToolbox.dec will break the format
Exalted.dec? No untap before the next combat limits it's usefulness
Allows some very interesting black-focused decks
Literally broken, causes an infinite loop with itself

It's interesting but holy shit get some help with the card design

Ah, right you are. Easy fix, thanks.

Renais does have an issue with invalidating some decks, we've been discussing that recently and may change him soon.

I use LegendaryToolbox.dec with Virgel and still get stomped more often than not. It may look more powerful than it actually is, or I'm just bad at MTG.

Velan doesn't cause an infinite loop with itself. Read the effect a bit more closely. You would need something like Sanguine Bond to make it infinite, which is banned for Velan to avoid that problem.

The rest, fair enough.

>Velan doesn't cause an infinite loop with itself. Read the effect a bit more closely. You would need something like Sanguine Bond to make it infinite, which is banned for Velan to avoid that problem.
Velan mirror-match, retard.

after going though the adversary cards on the imgur:
>velan is too good to be a 2
>urndal is far too restrictive to be a 2, maybe put him down a peg or buff him, only truly interesting interactions are plunge into darkness and spoils of the vault
>jim has naming issues
thats all just at a glance

Oh, right. I thought you meant the card itself contains an infinite loop. Mirror matches are a known issue, yes, we usually just avoid them.

The imgur is out of date at this point, sorry about that.
As you can see from the version of Velan posted above, she's a level 3 now. Urndal has been removed entirely, and Jim... Er... I think his name was changed? I can't actually remember.

huh your right it has been changed, any link to the new adversary list then?

Not in any easily previewable format, unfortunately; if you actually download the Adversary set(s) then you'll have a folder full of all the cards, but that involves... You know, downloading the sets.

I think I'll upload a new imgur album shortly.

Source on this image? I have to know because of reasons

Google-fu too weak

I don't know how I feel about encouraging your degeneracy, user.

Meme Set cards.

RULE FIVE: Do not build your deck specifically to exploit infinite combos. The punishment for breaking this rule is simply making everyone stop playing with you, because it can get annoying.

HA

>Play pacts.dec
>win

>2d8 life.

That seems really low...

That's 5d8, user.

Alright, last bump before I go to bed, so feel free to let the thread die now. We got a good 4-6 new players, so good turnout.

I like this. This seems neat.

There's something (technically, pedantically) wrong on almost every card. The Adversaries that are literally just existing cards are typically fine, but then you also mess up on fairly basic wording.
You don't take damage, damage is dealt to you.
Magic prefers the contracted "can't gain life." Also, I'm not sure life loss can technically be prevented like this.
Devour isn't a keyword action so this also doesn't work. Also, this is a replacement effect, so it should start with "if" and not "whenever." And Devouring takes place before the creature actually enters the battlefield, so its not there to have counters moved to it.
Magic prefers the contracted "doesn't untap..."
Would prefer "The first time you would lose the game this game, instead..."
Technically costs can't target, even if we handwave femaleness.

The /ccg/fag in me is roiling.

Half of these are completely fucking broken.

Dummy, the artist name is there for a reason.

That's exactly why we stopped having these threads.

If that shit is really in the rules, then you literally are guaranteeing that your playgroup is going to be VERY small and very exclusive.

>And Devouring takes place before the creature actually enters the battlefield, so its not there to have counters moved to it.

How about "When a creature with devour enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on it for each +1/+1 counter on creatures it devoured." ?

It's on there fucking rulesite lol.

Velan, Cursed Empress does not loop with itself.

RTFC

The vast majority of these designs are crowdsourced and not all of them get fixed, not everything gets caught. Thanks for the feedback, though.

Yup.

Blame Hawk. I didn't make the rules, just put them up. I've maintained from the beginning that the combo """"rule"""" is a meme.

It does, in a mirror match.