/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Fast Edition

>Latest News
Druid UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

What tabaxi characters have you seen so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qAWNCUk9QrQ#t=0m26
theredepic.bigcartel.com/category/volo-s-guide-to-monsters-digital-downloads
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

any information on the next module?

It's seen the codenames "Dust" (or "Labyrinth") and has some writing work in it by Pendleton Ward. Chris Perkins finished up his design work on it recently. It's likely due out in April.

That's about it. We'll probably get an announcement on it in January.

Curse of Strahd question - how old is Argynvost? Ancient? Young? Adult?

A while ago someone uploaded a very detailed character creation flowchart, but he censored out all info except basic rules. has there been a filled in version since? It wasn't on any of the mega archives.

pic is of censored version

I hate the general look of Tabaxi (the frail / thin looking felines) and much prefer the Weretiger / MTG Leonin / Thundercat look.

He was an adult at death but died long before he could become ancient.

How big of a threat to the world is tricking the players into opening up a portal to summon the (willing) Demogorgon to the material plane?

Depends. Are we in Birthright or not?

see OOTA

Wtf is a Birthright?

Haven't had a chance to read through it, I just know that's who's featured in it. What's it got?

Old D&D setting.
youtube.com/watch?v=qAWNCUk9QrQ#t=0m26

an old D&D setting that fell to the wayside like Mystara and Ghostwalk

In the module, Demogorgon corrupts a city he's not even present in before he physically emerges in another city.

>Mystara

Just make a stronk character and use use concept art/illustration of your choice to depict the char?

I'll agree that the Volo illustration is kinda unfortunate (pic related) but there's a fuckton of anthro art, of every possible taste variation, out there to just go "no, actually he/they look like this".

isn't mystara supposed to be good? I've read pretty good things about it

>tfw my Dwarf is purple, seven feet tall, and has three legs

Hmmm, I've been working on a homebrew campaign that's got fantasy, sci-fi / space travel elements, and was planning on connecting it to my current campaign via the Demogorgon making hell on earth.

Over the past few days I've found out it's a mish-mash of Spelljammer, Dragonstar, and Birthright.

Am I in over my head or should I just keep going?

I don't see a problem using the dwarf stats for your special snowflake "muh backstory" PC race, as long as the GM is alright with it?

probably but keep going

Are they ever gonna publish an Eberron related book?

Posted this in the old thread like a dumbass. Question still applies.

Probably someday.

They'll come around to it, just you see.

The differences between Mystara and, say, Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk are much smaller than those between either of them and Dark Sun, Eberron, or Ravenloft. It's your standard medieval fantasy stuff.

Things that are unique to Mystara, though:

Immortals, which work there like Gods do in other settings, are all former mortals (and not necessarily humanoids; one of them is a t-rex who was smart enough to figure shit out) who ascended. Rather than grouping together along racial lines or alignment, they are stuck in a specific Sphere (Matter, Thought, Time, Energy, and Entropy) with a bunch of other Immortals they may personally hate, but have to work with to advance the power of their Sphere. Immortals are forbidden from taking any direct action with their godly power in the mortal world, but they can take on powerful mortal identities and fuck with things directly there, and they still have Clerics (and stupid adventurers who think the dreams in their heads are their own ideas) they can manipulate. They actively seek helping other mortals ascend into their Spheres, too.

The Savage Coast / Red Steel is sub-setting about a stretch or land where everyone is magically cursed by red shit that gives them super powers and crazy deformities. It's very New World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spanish Conquest, swashbuckling-oriented and came with special rules for fighting with panache and derring-do. It's got firearms.

And there's Hollow World (as opposed to the "Known World" of surface Mystara) which is exactly what it sounds like: another world on the interiour surface of the planet, with its own sun floating down there and two big holes at the poles that can take you between the surface and the hollow earth. It is used as a "nature preserve" of sorts for races and cultures that went extinct on the surface, and magic functions differently down there to prevent assholes from blowing it and everything up.

Monks are the most thematically restrictive class, and have the least amount of room for flavor in terms of creativity or how you can approach making a character of that class.

They could have been left out.

Anyone willing to contribute any of the hi-res maps from VGM? We've only got the Beholder Lair so far.

theredepic.bigcartel.com/category/volo-s-guide-to-monsters-digital-downloads

>my monk is actually a paladin with full plate and greatsword, and no, you can't disarm me or disarmor me because those are my "hands" and "pecs"
>Also no disadvantage to stealth because, again, "pecs"

Paladin and Barb say hi.

I don't see why you think it's fine to give a level 2 character in 5e the ability to turn a tiny block of gold into a massive sheet of iron that can cover and entire castle.

There's no way they intended the spell to allow both transmutation and unlimited sizes.

It's simply kept out of RAW because they expect DMs to moderate it like they moderate crafting - to be reasonable.

> It's that user again

Is now a meme, but that was an actual serious reply a year ago to a "how do I translate my sacred fist to 5e" question.

They could probably have made a couple of bare-fisted no-armour brawler archetypes. I wouldn't say it's hard to fit monks into a setting as monks tend to be from secluded societies, but I'll say they could easily have put it in as as a subtype.

Monk is also pretty mechanically restricted. They suck at multiclassing, they're incredibly stat-hungry and they turn mostly into a stun-stick later on.

Has anyone played a paladin of Ilmater before?

Hollow World is full of weird contradictions, like feral tribes of races that are still on the surface, shit that went extinct thousands or millions of years ago (DINOSAURS), and has a big Mesoamerican Exploration / Sumerian kind of bend with ancient cultures who aren't really as primative as they seem, almost The Coming Race-esque in places.

And the final subsetting is Blackmoor, which was a technologically advanced kingdom that gained their knowledge from a legit crashed spaceship.

So Mystara's got something for everyone. If you want standard fantasy but none of the baggage of Forgotten Realms, it's nice to check out. The bonus of it being so old it's mostly forgotten by people is you have a blank check to make up whatever shit you like about kingdoms or persons and no one will ever call you on it, though there is a pretty substantial fan-maintained site of Mystara lore if you want to check out all the old shit.

6% of all PC Paladins are Ilmateri

Looking for ideas for metamagic type features that would be exclusive to sorcerous origins.

So a dragon one, a wild magic one, etc.

I strongly disagree on paladin. Barbarian I feel like you could make an argument for, but I still believe monk is more egregious than either of those.

No matter what, your kung-fu weeb guy. The archetypes are literally Ninja, Avatar TLA, Shaolin, and Z-Fighter.

>No matter what, you're kung-fu weeb guy.
>No matter what, you're Deus Vult plate guy
>No matter what, you're savage smash guy

>Shaolin
>Can't use shields
I'm going to say no

As a DM, if a player goes unconscious, do you keep on attacking the unconscious player or do you let the monster first switch its target to the other still conscious players?

If I would do the first it would be very easy for me to kill the players in some sessions, so I tend to go for the second option.

If this thread wasn't discussing 5e, I'd agree with you on paladin.

> No matter what, you're Deus Vult plate guy
> tfw I'm an Ancients Oath Paladin/Archfey patron Warlock

Without examples, you'r reductio ad absurdum falls flat.

Just looking at archetypes, not accounting for backgrounds, equipment, or playstyle....

Paladin
> Deus Vult Guy
> Champion of Nature
> Judge Dredd
> (DMG) Grave Knight / Shadowknight

Barbarian
> Mindless 'Zerker
> Animal Spirit guy
> (UA) Seer
> (UA) (divine) 'Zerker

Like I said, each one of those lends itself to be played entirely differently. All monk archetypes lead to weeb-fu.

Never GM, but as personal experience keeping hitting the body till is 120% dead is the usual.

Second option almost all the time.
An intelligent creature in the middle of combat rarely gives a shit about some non-threat when there are threats right there.

What is the goal of the monster attacking?

> Being an open hand monk
> Not being a huge nordic man covered in tribal tattoos, who got his strength through rigorous training in the tundra.
> Not going bare chested everywhere, because you no longer feel cold.
> Not using a handaxe as your monk weapon.

>he's not playing wuxia

To kill all its enemies and win the fight?

how are SCAG Swashbucklers?

Then it's probably going to go for the living first, unless it sees that the party can bring characters back with healing - then he'll probably either try to finish off the dying or kill the healer first.

If the players start abusing heals to get their teammates up constantly, kill the players.
Otherwise, don't even bother.

The monsters want to win, and they won't win wasting their time on downed players.
If those monsters however see an effect that keeps getting everybody up after they appear to enter a dying, helpless state, they'll make sure next time that they're dead for sure.

It's absolutely dickish to attack a downed, dying player before the end of a combat without good reason. And even then, some monsters might not outright kill them but instead loot them and leave them, or make them a slave or hold them for ransom or suchlike.

Well an angry type guy might sit their wailing on the dead guy. A smart type bloke might try to neutralize other threats. A hungry type chap might try to drag away it's food into a hidey hole.

Did you save a full-size version of it?

That means nothing. Is it fighting to protect its home? Fighting because it think the party is prey? Fighting at the command of a greater force? What does that greater force typically want out of them and what did it say exactly? These things affect how enemies will react in fights. Most intelligent foes will likely prioritize still active threats rather than the dude on the floor clutching his open wounds unless they were specifically told to kill that dude or outnumber the party greatly.

>All monk archetypes lead to weeb-fu.

Show me where it says you can't use capoeira as a monk

>If I multiclass I add an aditonal layer of backgroud on top of smitey mcrighteousfag
Nice goalpost moving

Well I was thinking of very basic and common encounters like Wolfs or Babarians attacking the party. Of course more complex thinking creatures would react different.

Post times everything went so perfect, it made you believe in fate:
> DMing a campaign, there's a fight going on
> Rogue dual wields and thus has two attacks.
> Notice a pattern - he always rolls for first attack, if it hits - for sneak attack, then for the second attack.
> He does it again.
> After he rolls for the first attack and sneak, ask him if he wants to stop doing that.
> "You know that sneak attack is doubled on critical strike, right? So you probably would want to wait and see the results of both attacks first, so you can avoid..."
> As I'm speaking, he rolls for the second attack
> It's a crit.
> "...avoid, basically, what just happened?"

Yes. He got et by ghouls within five minutes of entering Death House in CoS.

>Capoeira
>Not weeb-fu

Wolves would likely try to scare away the rest of the party to capitalize on the prey and actually eat it like they'd want.
The culture of the barbarians would determine how they would do it and how the situation is progressing.

We both know my character could act the same wat without the multiclassing, you dingus.

A wolf could drag the downed party member away so they could eat him in peace.

He's doing it right.

Unless your chance of hitting the opponent is 95% or above (Through either super-high to-hit against low AC, or advantage) or you HAVE to deal extra damage now or else the monster will get a turn and wreck shit (if you somehow knew their HP and your to-hit chance was pretty high) or you get a ton of crit bonuses (say, you're a half-orc or something crazy) you should sneak attack on the first attack.

If you miss the second attack and you didn't apply sneak attack on the first attack, you don't get to sneak attack at all.

>South American Niggers
>Weeb

>So you probably would want to wait and see the results of both attacks first
Most stupid shit ever said. You use sneak on the first hit because you have to decide in that moment, you can't wait till all your attacks hit and choose the better, they aren't done at the same time.

But using sneak attack on the first attack if it hits is more intelligent unless the rogue is VERY likely to hit with both attacks. If the second attack misses you lose most of your damage if you didn't go for sneak attack with your first attack.

Actually, disregard the half-orc one.

Replace it with 'some event that greatly increases the value of the second attack's sneak attack' such as a grave cleric specifically storing their channel divinity as a reaction for 'after rogue attacks'.

very mobile and straight up fun to play if you want to play a combat oriented rogue.

He is doing it right way

My problem is that they could have went with "Asian warriors" instead of "unarmed unarmored asian warrior". It would be nice to see stuff like Samurai, Wuxia, Sohei, Ninja, Martial Artist, etc as archetypes.

Unless the DM here is offering the player the chance to roll both attacks at once, and then decide which one he wants to apply sneak attack to. If that's the case, it's pretty generous on the DM's part and perhaps the rogue player assumed he didn't have that much leeway.

Samurai are Fighters. Martial Artist is Open Hand, Ninja is Shadow, and (badly done) Wuxia is Elements.

Why aren't you playing your Monks properly, /5eg/?

>He's never been a CG woodelf paladin, looking out for mother nature and patrolling the forest.

Even if he lets you to do that, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Your bonus action is wasted if just one attack is enough to kill the enemy.

>CG Paladin
I want 5E to leave

It isn't even unarmed, just unarmored. You can still use weapons.

>Samurai are Fighters
Depends how you depict them

But that's rogue from 4e.

>Holy imagery
>Still wearing plate

Thus my point, Monks are as distinct as Paladins. If you can work this much on making a Paladin different, you can make a monk different.

>Still smitey mcrighteousfag
I still didn't see a Paladin that can't be described with these words

So, the same way you say all monks are "weeb-fu", I will use two words like you and describe all paladins as smitey mcrighteousfag

This is why I always ran my 2nd ed games in Mystara instead of the mary sue realms

>/5eg/

"LG ONLY!!!!" was such a fucking inane requirement for paladins back in the stone age, good fucking riddance.

Unless your char has low strength
In which case they absolutely 100% have to look frail and lanky no exceptions

I want to post all of this other shit but Veeky Forums evidently has some weird issue with my webms and I can't upload any of them unless I convert to gif and back, which takes forever.

'UPLOAD FAILED' FOR WHAT FUCKING REASON, HIROYUKI

Kenshin is either Battlemaster/Assassin or Paladin/Assassin in terms of abilities.

This is /5eg/, you can leave pretty easily

Then you'll have to find some other devart piece for your character I guess?
Just about anything looks better than that dumb Volo pic...

does webm->swf->webm work?

>complaining about holy imagery with Paladins

Jesus Christ, how autistic are you? Do you complain about nature imagery with Druids?

In Dark Sun, yes

>Completely missing the point

>complaining

Who said I'm complaining? I'm pointing out that's what paladins are. Holy imagery and plate armor. Just like how Monks are martial arts styles and no armor.

And yet neither is limited or pidgeonholded into a single archetype, because there's a lot of variety outside of that core basic idea.

It still hinges on wanting to re-fluff the good parts but not the bad. Reskinning is fine but if you're going to re-skin, re-skin everything.

Depends on the beastie, its stats, and its goals.

Not to mention nothing in Capoeira looks remotely like the upper-level monk stuff.

>thinking refluffers aren't another type of munchkins
They use what interests them and change the imagery to fit what they want, that way he can enter in King's court completely armed and armored while having more AC and dealing more damage because actual weapons and armor.