NwN is free on GoG right now

excellent d&d videogame, *WITH* dm tools so you can run a campaign with it, *and* it's free now?

gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

for all my Veeky Forums buddies that don't have it already, free Veeky Forums vidya seemed worth mentioning, particularly since someone suggested setting up a Veeky Forums NwN server yesterday for those of us who don't have a currently ongoing campaign.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11784743
nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/player-resource-consortiums-prc-pack-v35
athasreborn.com/prc/manual/
prc.athasreborn.com/index.php?action=faq
sourceforge.net/projects/leto/
web.archive.org/web/20040423085215/http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=329872&forum=74
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/shayans-subrace-engine-169
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/tileset/nwncq-project
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/project-q
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/nwn-omnibus?qt-recent=1
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/nwn-university-document-help-pdf-reference-guide-tutorial-xls-collection
sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index_toolset3.php
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/ls-tk-script-generator
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/nwn-lexicon-169
web.archive.org/web/20080204184548/http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=47
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWScript
nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Script_directory
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/prc-character-creator-18-linux-and-mac-compatible
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/leto-prc-version
nexusmods.com/neverwinter/mods/61/?
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/prc-neverwinter-script-compiler-v20
discord.gg/DWAgNEp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bumping. Really good game. Half-orc barbarian.

Damn, another RPG added to the pile I'm working through right now.

i can deal with bad graphics and text only, thats not an issue

but I just can't play a game wherein the UI and text is literally for ants.

any way to get this UI to scale for a 1440p screen?

>NWN
>good rpg

Excellent editor no doubt about it but it's crpg parts are mediocre at best.

what would you consider a good rpg then oh pariah of taste

play it at a lower res?
Looks pretty good at 768p
otherwise: maybe, but I've never tried. it's old. the ui is pixel based direct output, not a texture on a model.

you get the same small ui if you play diablo 1/2 on a large screen.

are you referring to the gameplay, or the campaign?
>gameplay
the controls are not what became the standard, but everything else about the gameplay is quite good even if there is a bit of ui clunkiness.

>campaign.
the original campaign isn't that good for writing, but it's not bad.

The other two campaigns are significantly better, and the fan made campaigns are awesome.

Whew, thanks for the heads up. I've had it pirated for years now, but I kinda wanted to own it.

You're gonna get way more hours of pretty good rpg play from this game thanks to mods than from almost any other though.

Still the best thing I've played from Bioware. And still an all time favorite thanks to the editor and devoted mod community.

Maybe, but good mods != good game.

I got it. I've only played one campaign of 5e but I'll join a tg server

what's left of the nwn community are such pathetic invalids that a Veeky Forums server might actually be less autistic than the norm

How hard would it be to make a "Star Wars" theme server?

I never really liked NWN 1. I'm sure the majority of people here now hate me for this.

Valencia Shadowbreath top tier husbando though.

Why on Earth would anyone hate someone else's subjective taste?

Also, what parts chafed?

NWN2 is also on sale there. Is it worth picking it up?

>Valencia
Top Kek autocorrect!
Tiefling traps aside, Valen.

Obsidian Writing. Let that tell you. I think very yes.

Lord Nasher
>hands over curing plague to the person causing plague
>allows blame to shift to cleric of god of justice so it doesn't shift to him
>cleric of justice soon to be married to paladin of justice god.
>paladin is also head of your cities armed forces
>hand cleric over to mob to be unjustly lynched
>act surprised when paladin falls
>paladin knows all cities weaknesses and window heading opposing army
>thousands die because the attackers know exactly where to strike
>all because Lord Nasher handed over a cleric of justice god over to an angry mob
>no option to drag Nasher to the gallows at the end
>no option to bring him to justice
>mfw

Never played this before. What am I getting into and what I really should know?

>veteran adventurer didn't foresee the consequences of a lazy plot device

This one chafes the most. I guess he was only doing dungeon crawls.

Think about this, in Neverwinter Online there is a gang of "rebels" named after the asshole so there's that.

OC: Shitty.
SotU: Good.
HotU: Great.
And SotU and HotU assume you're using a different character from the OC, so you can well skip it if you don't like it.

Play mods. Mods are the main reason to have NWN installed in the first place. The (in)famous A Dance with Rogues is probably the overall best done one of all, though people still bash it for the high quantity of sexual content. But if you don't mind (or like it) it's great. There's also some really damn great ones, like Aielund Saga, The Prophet, Swordflight, Tales of Arterra, The Bastard if Kosigan, Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher/Demon, just to name a few.

Forgotten realms setting limitations. IIRC, Lord Nasher was a major local figure in canon, so they couldn't touch him.

> Veteran adventurer
You literally start at level 1, just out of the academy.

I wouldn't say OC was shit.

Mediocre at worst and almost good at best. It was very paint by numbers, no risk and stick to what is known but it did it with enough competence to not be bad.

But, yes. The mods. By god the mods. So many excellent mods.

For a game that came out 14 years ago to still be considered good is quite an achievement.

Lord Nasher was a veteran adventurer before he became king of a city.

Also there was nothing stopping them tacking a bit on the end to give closure to Lord Nasher making an unjust decision against a priest of the god of justice.

Other then the fact they probably had to sign shit saying they were not allowed to change major canon figures in the slightest.

You know, how this sort of thing always works.

>You literally start at level 1, just out of the academy.

He means Nasher, who used to be an adventurer before getting himself a city.

>For a game that came out 14 years ago to still be considered good is quite an achievement.

There are a lot of games that old that are still considered good.

Actually, huh. I guess I didn't contradict you at all.

it would take a fair bit if work, but you could probably implement much of the Mechanics of some, and rip a lot if the gf from Kotor 1 which uses the same engine

a hunt through the dark

An early 2000s game being still good is hardly surprising considering that how mature (or how little gaming has advanced outside of graphics from those times) most genres already were by that point.

Suggestion: A Veeky Forums persistent world.
Would play the shit out of that.
There's not been a good RP on NWN in a long time.

I'm just waiting for someone to start it. I have no idea how

That is because the first campaign was tacked on after it was finished originally it was just the editor and the client no campaign. They had extra time so they made a basic one.

No the writing in two was rushed and suffered as a result.

>Implying tg would be good roleplayers

If they behaved they'd be well above average
>Hyperawareness of mary sues
>Hyperawareness of being that guy
>Mostly experienced in tabletop games and roleplay

This.
We mostly see the flaws here, but I do think Veeky Forums players have the will and the capacity to do some good and not cringy RP.

Got plenty of knowledge on how the module creator thingy works, and could probably come up with stuff, but I don't really have the time to generate an entire server.
If anyone wants to take charge of the project I'd be more than happy to get involved.
We could maybe generate a few areas each, starting with a small generic area and expanding from there.

I could make some areas and items, everyone should pitch in and help but first we need to work out what the setting is and what if any hak packs are going to be used.

PRC is a must-have.
the subrace engine would be my next suggestion.

>Shayans subrace engine
PRC has a web frontend character builder, which works much better than the in game client and allows your first class level to be a base class that isn't in the original game, since the NwN character creator is hardcoded and ignores server haks

What about Community Expansion Pack (CEP), Community Tileset Project (CTP) and Community Music Pack (CMP)?

Link to character builder please.

>king of a city.

Wasnt he simply a Tyrant? A benevolent one but still a Tyrant.

cep is mostly junk player models which only work on a subset of player races. drop it.

ctp and CMP might be good, I'm not so familiar with those.

there are some other good tiles etc out there though, for sure. there was an NwN graphics overhaul project, that was pretty good stuff. iirc they were attached to a Planescape server, so there's lots more Planescape monsters in there.

but id say cep no, prc and shayan yes - as a baseline.

youll also want nwn2 Letoscript for all the amazing shit it can do up to and including editing charactersheets programmatically and generating monsters on the fly.

I'm on my phone. this is stuff i remember being awesome back in 2007-2009. I'll see where I can hunt down links when I get home.

when you have Leto script running, I'd suggest using it to recalculate and force average hp to avoid the max hp exploit that people can otherwise do.

Eh. Fuck Aribeth and her horrid voice. Glad we get to kill her in the end.

Perhaps focusing on a concept for the server would be better than going nuts with the cosmetics and assorted nick nacks.

Agreed.

You'll note 90% of the ones I suggested are mechanics and game engine extensions.

though the graphics overhaul Hak I suggested is pretty nice too, and I'll see about hunting down a download link when I get home.

id suggest the server be something with a large city and dungeon and wilderness and criminal underground.

like ptolus, or waterdeep, etc.

gives you lots of adventure options in a minimal amount of space.

CEP has more than just stuff for the player, it adds things like creatures and placeables.
If you are making areas it help to know what hak pack(s) is going to be used as I want know tilesets, and music I can use and what placeables can be put in those areas. But I agree that we need to work out the setting first.

>not fucking her ghost in HotU

Ended up having a harem of her & that drow assassin during one of my playthroughs of HotU, probably caused by a bug or something given that I'ven't been able to replicate it.

It's intended. You probably missed the conversation were they imply they're willing to share.

I cannot stand Aribeth. I always make sure to kill her. I cannot for the life of me remember if you can put her down in HotU too, but if it was an option, I did.

true, forgot about those.

It's still 75% shit. better to grab the cep, and extract the decent monsters and place ables and make your own Hak and discard the rest.

put your server Hak files in a mega trove and you're golden.

I'm actually really afraid to play NwN again because I think nostalgia goggles may have affected my perceptions of the game.

I played it a lot back in the day, and I enjoyed it. But now, with the benefit of hindsight, I think I may have an entirely different view of it. I dunno if I should risk spoiling my memories of the game, or play it again and try to re-evaluate my assessment of it.

I would have to leave that to someone that knows how to make Hak pack files.

Oh. they're basically proprietary zip files. easy as fuck to change, there's tools for that.

This but holy shit is it ever abusable if people don't know what it's all about going in. Druid is stronger than it is in vanilla by a longshot due to fixed Wild Shape, Warblade/Wizard/JPM is insanely powerful, Warmages have implementation issues related to all missile spells that cause them to apply their INT to ALL missiles from a spell instead of only one as it should so IGMS does 20d6+(20xINT+Extra Edge) damage, which is honestly the only thing keeping them playable because they're made of glass, Cerebromancers can chain psionic Time Stops while wrecking your shit with orbs, and the whole nine yards.

nice

>PRC but rebalanced.
sure, that could be done, but that's it's own project.
I'd still much prefer nwn+nwnxletoscript+prc+shayans subrace system to simply baseline NwN.

Same here, for all its faults the PRC makes the game much more interesting. I would never want to play a vanilla Fighter over a Warblade, and it's not because of mechanical power.

Hey, now I can try the PW servers online. I already own NWN2 so this will be a great addition.

Ok, will look into that. The thing is a lot of modules use CEP so everyone will be downloading it at some point anyway so there is not really any reason to do stuff to the CEP hak pack.

The last patch added hidden hp rolls or always max hp rolls in the server options, picking one of those is the best option.

>redo the PRC.
Frankly I'd rather spend the time on a Pathfinder PoW+Ult. Psionics class mod than try to overhaul the PRC.

Doing pathfinder with nwn would be a chore due to how class skills changed with pathfinder, also stealth would be a mess as you would be able to make spot checks against people unless you did some weird malus to listen or buff to move silently.

that assumption is fine for singleplayer, in multiplayer if the cep is on you'd still want most of it disabled.

it also increases your load and compile time in the editor.

I'd leave the skills as 3.0 skills, for that reason, unless I saw a way to do a skill overhaul separately.

You disgusting fucking pissant. I did not buy a fucking 1440p screen to run your garbage game at filth resolution. Get out, you are obviously no true gamer.

Some thing off the top of my head to consider for a PW:
-Genre and Setting: This is the one thing that we need to iron out before anything else. Some settings are easier to bend to a genre, of course. Strawpoll in true Veeky Forums memetic fashion: strawpoll.me/11784743

-Permadeath: This can add a layer of risk and reward if used properly. Adding a final layer to PvP should be used to add gravitas to confrontation, and we can implement Subdual settings to give the players non-lethal options. However, to prevent the server from becoming a gankfest where PvP junkies just run roughshod griefing and derailing whatever roleplay the would-be victims have going, we would have to be strict applying PvP rules. As for PvE, do we want to have a hardcore server with harsh penalties for death and permadeath areas/events, or a more laissez faire approach?

-Levelling: While people enjoy questing, making it the sole provenance of XP may turn the server into a dailies-grind MMO. We should also consider a level range and quest structure so that crushing quests and powergaming are discouraged. Unless we want a more action oriented server, of course.

Then:
> Don't play
And
> Go back to /v/

lololol FOR THE EMPRAH fireball every room on the server ;)

So assuming I'm trash, what do I build to have an op piece of shit for hotu?

And these are a reminder of the importance of setting up a forum for these things, if we want to go through with them.

>hurr lets run a Veeky Forums server but not run it from Veeky Forums ,lets make our own spinoff channel where we can be gay ass tripfags

Play Cleric.

>ANGER THAT 1440p IS NOT WELL SUPPORTED BY 16 YEAR OLD GAMES.
sure, buddy.

Rage about SNES games and DOS games being pixelated on a 1440p screen while you're at it, for all the good it'll do you.

Direct-Draw raster graphics don't get that crisp uhd look.

Sure, it *might* be possible to upscale/replace them through mods for a game like NwN, that has 3d gfx with 2d ui.

check out the graphics overhaul project. no promises, but IIRC they were working on adding shaders and other fancy lighting effects, and they might have upscaled the Ui, but I make no promises.

>I want to filter through 90% shitposts on an archive to find one snippet of information for a collaborative project

permadeath
no, do not.

but some kind of death penalties do seem a good idea. I don't want a NwN pvp server though, that shits boring.

>quests.
i like procedurally generated quests, for dm less adventures. those are always interesting and unexpected. nwnxletoscript would be fantastic for that.

>not just making a Veeky Forums general thread with a collaborative planning set of pastebins and a mega share and a discord.

why?

I would not rule out CEP before we know what we will need from a hak pack. Anyway we are getting sidetracked: first we to know what setting and world we are making before do anything else.

Because you slipped into hyperbole and didn't suggest that at all when you were mimicking retarded sounds in text.

I'm a different user (im the op)

im asking both of you. sorry I didn't tag the other guy.

my vote is ptolus, because it's fucking awesome.

second place waterdeep+skullport+undermountain+surrounding wilderness

What spells are good?

Word of Faith, Divine Favor, Divine Power, Bull's Strength, Implosion, Heal, Harm, plus whatever defensive spells you need to suit the situation.

Healing spells outside of Heal and Mass Heal are worthless, don't bother.

Haven't played this in years
>currently downloading
I'd play on Veeky Forums NwN server

>check out sale
>search roleplaying
>GenericFantasy.tiff

Holy fuck, why are there so few non-fantasy RPGs?

>ptolus
It can be awesome to you, but it might turn off some people who are not familiar with it. Builders would have to procure the book one way or another. That said, differentiation has its appeal.

>waterdeep
This would require less background research and let us more or less start working right off the bat. There would be less to adapt and less innovation as well, for good and bad.

Well, if anyone wants to start a general+Discord for the PW, go ahead.

NWN1 Resources DUMP Post, as Promised

>>General
>NWNW Wiki
nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

>>PRC
>PRC
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/player-resource-consortiums-prc-pack-v35
>PRC Manual
athasreborn.com/prc/manual/
>PRC FAQ
prc.athasreborn.com/index.php?action=faq

>>Leto Script
sourceforge.net/projects/leto/
web.archive.org/web/20040423085215/http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=329872&forum=74

>>Shayan's Subrace Engine
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/shayans-subrace-engine-169

>>NWNCQ
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/tileset/nwncq-project

>Project Q
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/combined/project-q

>>Content Creation
>NWN Omnibus
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/nwn-omnibus?qt-recent=1
>NWN Content Creator's Tutorials
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/nwn-university-document-help-pdf-reference-guide-tutorial-xls-collection
>A variety of locally hosted tutorials, and some dead links
sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index_toolset3.php

>>NWScript
>Lilac Soul's NWScript Generator
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/ls-tk-script-generator
>Script Generator Readme
ftp://www.xenocorp.net/game_files/neverwinternights/Lilac_Soul_Script_Generator/Readme.PDF
>NWN Lexicon
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/script/nwn-lexicon-169
>Archived NWScript Forums
web.archive.org/web/20080204184548/http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=47
>NWScript Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWScript
>NWN Example Scripts
nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Script_directory

>>Tools
>Standalone Character Builder (Offline)
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/prc-character-creator-18-linux-and-mac-compatible
>PRC Compatible Leto Character Editor
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/leto-prc-version
>Regular Leto Character Editor
nexusmods.com/neverwinter/mods/61/?
>NWN Standalone Script Compiler
neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/tool/prc-neverwinter-script-compiler-v20

I (OP) will make a Discord for it.

I have all the sources on both in PDF form. I could make a trove for whichever we chose.

>>Discord
discord.gg/DWAgNEp

No need to make a general for it right now; this thread can serve that purpose well enough until it dies.

Neverwinter Nights General /nwng/
General thread for Veeky Forums's NWN server (WIP right now).

NWN is a D&D Vidya which supports both online and offline gameplay, as well as persistent servers, and a DMs client for running adventures. (IE it's a lot like roll20 with prettier graphics and much of the game mechanics automated.)

You can get NWN at GoG. Currently it's free.

Here's the official discord for the server. This invite never expires.
discord.gg/DWAgNEp

Pastebin of Resource Links:
xxxx

Future nwng trove:
xxxx

Current Subjects:
Waterdeep or Ptolus? (I have the PDFs for either, when we get to the point of needing more info.)

Post the PDF for Ptolus but I think making our own setting may be better as it gives us more freedom to add our own stuff.

Both Ptolus and Waterdeep are well fleshed out metropolises with dungeons underneath them (Ptolus has several, waterdeep has one very large one) in addition to an underground city directly under it.

I'm trying to find the link I have to an existing ptolus trove. Will see where I put it.