Space thread tbh

Give me your favourite spacecraft names, original or otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ship_names_of_the_Royal_Navy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gay_Viking
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thunderchild
Spirit of Man

Every single ship name from the Culture series, gems include: "No More Mr Nice Guy", "Just Read The Instructions", "Of Course I Still Love You", and "What Are The Civilian Applications?"

I have pages of ship names that I'll never use. Beside the obvious names like "Leisurely Xenocide" and "If You Can Read This We're Ramming" I've always been a fan of adjective naming.

For example, if you have an Adamant-class heavy cruiser, the following ships would be named as such;
>Admirable
>Acute
>Advantage
>Aggressor
>Alacrity
>Antagonist

And so on and so forth. No idea what to do when I run out of letters or words. I'll probably have to resort to naming ships after people or something.

>A pirate king's flagship, called the Penny Dreadnought
I'm 90% sure I stole it from some user here, but it's too good to pass up

I like the poetic names the UNSC uses. Dawn Under Heaven, In Amber Clad, Pillar of Autumn, a lot of them are memorable and characteristically un-military for a faction that's 100% generic human space military.

Women's Underwear
Frozen Corpse
Your Mom
The Big Red One
Unintelligible Screaming
Insane Gibberish

Hail and Kill
Blood Bound
Born In L4
Wind of Change
Starchaser
Sweet Revenge
Foreclosure Of A Dream
Kind-Hearted Light

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series

I quite like 'Eight Rounds Rapid' and 'Killing Time'

Event Horizon
Forward unto Dawn
Vengeance, this one's one of the nuclear response submarines the UK owns. Guess that's not a spess ship but it sounds neat.

50% of Royal Navy vessels have perfect names for ships. especially those from the Age of Sail.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ship_names_of_the_Royal_Navy

take you pick, there's 13,000 of them to pick from.

Oh, sure, the HMS Bagshot will strike fear into the hearts of our enemies. What's more fearful than a small village full of twisty roads and farms?
Or the HMS Gloucester, which most english speakers can't pronounce right.
Or HMS Versatile! We'll bow them with our usefulness!

Ozymandius.

perfect name for a battleship.

It would be a shame if that thing blew up...

but for each of those, there is also an HMS Dreadnought, a HMS Intrepid, or HMS Victorious.

Presumably the comment that half the RN ship names were perfect, and therefore, half of them area bit crap was a bit too complex for you to calculate.

UNSC had the best names. Two For Flinching was a notable not-poetic example.

Actually Bungie is really good at dramatic names and blurbs, but shit at actual story. Destiny has great tidbits of info in item descriptions.

I sort of like the Idrian naming system in the Culture series. Once they found a name they liked, they just used it however many times they wanted. So you had the Fist of God, then the Fist of God 2, then the Fist of God 3... up to at least 167 and probably more.

'Innovative Use Of Fire' remains a personal favorite.

Evil Ship Names from my tyranid fleet:
Apophis
Erebus
Holocaust
Nemesis

I believe they said in an interview they where inspired by ship names from The Culture.

>>This is the USS Unintelligible Screaming.
>>We're fresh from deep space and seeking resupply.
>>Permission to dock?

What could go wrong?

>not HMS Gay Viking

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Gay_Viking

The God Damn

The Screaming Negress

The Galactica

Evidently, humour is too hard for you to grasp.

Better than the USS Frozen Corpse on a supply run fro Europa.

Deaths Per Kilowatt Hour

For my civilian ships, I always love to spell them wrong and misuse words. I flip a coin and on heads, fluff it as just a mistake from a thick backwards outposter, and on tails I fluff it as just how the words work in their far off dialect.

Owega Manray was the only one that actually lasted more than 30 seconds though.
Epsillion Mega is still my favourite

>HMS Gay Viking

"Our fusion torpedos go in dry"

Shock Diamond
Invincible IV
Contents Under Pressure
Arc Light
Memphis Belle
Monitor
Skipjack